• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dugna

Speaking of OVAs and movies, are there any legit streaming sites to watch those at? I have Crunchyroll to watch the whole TV series but I haven't seen most of the OVAs because of no real place to watch em.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Speaking of OVAs and movies, are there any legit streaming sites to watch those at? I have Crunchyroll to watch the whole TV series but I haven't seen most of the OVAs because of no real place to watch em.

No... Funimation has not secured the rights to most of the OVAs, TV specials, or movies.
Only movies they have are Episode of Alabasta, Strong World, and Film Z
Only TV special they have is the 3D2Y one, and that's on Crunchyroll for all to see.

abc73ae154ef61390c9e71c75076e3fd.png

Obama Kurei please.

inafking

abc73ae154ef61390c9e71c75076e3fd.png

Obama Kurei please.

Obama or "Okama"?

BTW, I'm a huge fan of the show. I've this cap I bought from 399animeshop

u9WPS3o.jpg

I've also this dry-fit T-shirt with self-made designs
A0SOoUP.jpg

vFnQKEy.jpg

The front and back designs are in SVG format (vector image) here and here

I have this stuff I bought at Mugiwara Store in Shibuya Parco

Keychain
0IWPJLE.jpg

Mug
rTZkJdD.jpg

kTs4ggN.jpg

This was me at Mugiwara Store in Shibuya, Tokyo
j8Yu9tQ.jpg

I definitely want to visit the Mugiwara store one day. The wanted posters look cool too, and I hear they have a selection of One Piece candy as well? Seems like all kind of fun stuff.

inafking

Oh, i'd have bought the entire store if i could lol. I'm so envious.

(Also, are you a fellow Chilean? judging by the avatar...)

Yeah, I'm Chilean.
[CHILEAN SLANG]Soy Chileno compadrito. Creo que vi otro weando por acá. Saludos![/CHILEAN SLANG]

EDIT:

I definitely want to visit the Mugiwara store one day. The wanted posters look cool too, and I hear they have a selection of One Piece candy as well? Seems like all kind of fun stuff.

I also bought this poster:
qmSVt8b.jpg

One Piece Volume 2 & 3
Plowed through the Buggy Arc and now right at the start of the Kuro Arc.

I almost forgot how fun Buggy's powers can be. Chop-Chop Buzzsaw ftw. This is also the start of Zoro's fight handicap, blood loss, and sleeping gags.

For one of the earlier arcs, the Buggy Arc went on a little too long and the fight between Luffy and Buggy wasn't one of the best or most memorable battles in East Blue, even though this was the first Devil Fruit user fight in the manga.

I'm still awed by the Rayleigh cameo. And I can't believe Mariejois was foreshadowed all the way back in Volume 3!

inafking

Don't tell me you put it on the wall with tape, lol.

Of course I would't have done that if it didn't have a plastic cover ¬_¬

Also, wanted posters are supposed to be put on the wall crudely (^_-)~☆

BTW, I put that poster in my workspace wall. It lasted a long time til they laid me off, but because they were outsourcing software development (or so it seems). (⌒_⌒;)

15 years and just past halfway on the map...would there be another 15 years of show and become like sazae-san?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Any last minute predictions on what move will KO Doflamingo? Or if he's going to be knocked out next chapter at all??

I'm still going with some form of Gum Gum no Storm.

Gintamen

Luffy did promise to heat him with one attack, I could see it being a crocodile based attack, would be the last of the major animals from the color page right after the time skip.

Bandini

Don't worry guys, next chapter will totally be the one where Luffy starts his attack. Then right as he's gearing up (hehe) Rebecca will see it and it will remind her of something that happened in her childhood, and we'll get a wonderful 6 chapter flashback of that instead!

ffdgh

Any last minute predictions on what move will KO Doflamingo? Or if he's going to be knocked out next chapter at all??

I'm still going with some form of Gum Gum no Storm.

Luffy and doffy stare and talk.
Doffy flashback because why not.
reaction from rebercca, law, gatz.
Reaction from everyone else.
Sabo and burges do stuff.
Oh no bird cage is closing in.
Push harder.
Tune in next week for the final battle to begin! / cynical

Kong double barrel red hawk or something I guess.

petran79

Banned
Decided at last to give this manga a try. Had caught few TV episodes in early 2000 but had forgotten about it.

I knew that the manga was good, the TV series never appealed to me, especially after they decided to make it over 400 episodes.

I read the whole manga in less than a week. Best shonen manga ever. No complaints.

But this goes mostly for volumes 1-46. Epic story indeed. From 46 to 61 I felt it maintained a quality but I felt a slight drop in what made the manga epic. So some other good shonen manga may indeed be better in that part, though not that many.

But after volume 61 and the time skip, I felt as if I was reading a different manga altogether! Gone were the things that made the characters so appealing in the past volumes. It wasnt just Nami and Robin fanservice. Battles turned into an easy and short affair. Despite the fact that dialogues increased a lot, characters became worse. I felt that what made One Piece so great in the past decade, began to fade or disappear completely with the new turn. Recent battle with Don would have been an exception if it werent for fan favorites T.Law boost from the author. Totally wasting the opportunity for a good villain and a good encounter.

I hope that after this arc he focuses on Elbaf. He always wanted to make a story about Vikings.

One Piece, in contrast to Naruto and Bleach, still manages to maintain some level of quality and original ideas. Author has to struggle hard to destroy the franchise!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
We've all noticed that and I think it can be attributed to the basic second act slowdown. In a four act story the first is spent setting things up and is massively exciting, the second is just moving pieces around until they are in place for the third act where everything explodes and finally draws down and concludes in the fourth act. In the big picture of the manga we're in the second act, right now pieces are being moved around to set up a big explosion of action later on.

Act 1 is basically the opening through Water 7/Enis Lobby.

Act 2 is Thriller Bark to the current day.

We have no idea when act two will change, but we'll know due to the shift in tone and when goings on in the background settle down.

Grexeno

We've all noticed that and I think it can be attributed to the basic second act slowdown. In a four act story the first is spent setting things up and is massively exciting, the second is just moving pieces around until they are in place for the third act where everything explodes and finally draws down and concludes in the fourth act. In the big picture of the manga we're in the second act, right now pieces are being moved around to set up a big explosion of action later on.
I'd say we're more in the first act. We're setting up the characters for the second half of One Piece.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'd say we're more in the first act. We're setting up the characters for the second half of One Piece.

The first act was setting up the crew and main characters, the second is setting up the background and is currently ongoing. Keep in mind I'm taking a much larger view of the series than just pre- and post-timeskip.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That "hur hur we're gonna get a flashback" joke stopped being funny after the first time. I'm sure repeating it over and over and over again will make it SO HILARIOUS

Jarate

Banned
Yeah, i'd imagine that Zoro & Co will get their own attention on Wano, they'll fight the big bad, and then Luffy will show up to finish the fight

Grexeno

Yeah, i'd imagine that Zoro & Co will get their own attention on Wano, they'll fight the big bad, and then Luffy will show up to finish the fight
Well, I actually think Kaido is either the current shogun of Wano, or has deposed the former shogun and is ruling it anyway.

But after volume 61 and the time skip, I felt as if I was reading a different manga altogether! Gone were the things that made the characters so appealing in the past volumes. It wasnt just Nami and Robin fanservice. Battles turned into an easy and short affair. Despite the fact that dialogues increased a lot, characters became worse. I felt that what made One Piece so great in the past decade, began to fade or disappear completely with the new turn. Recent battle with Don would have been an exception if it werent for fan favorites T.Law boost from the author. Totally wasting the opportunity for a good villain and a good encounter.

Easy and short battles were necessary at that point. The main cast came off of two years of training, and shouldn't have to struggle that much for the first few islands.

In comparison to the beginning, Luffy didn't face a really strong opponent until Crocodile.

Jigolo

Guys.

In a single 2-day span we're going to see the ending of both Luffy vs. Doflamingo and Jotaro vs. DIO.

YO Jojo Stardust final episode is tomorrow???? I need to know before my 2 week crunchy pass is over so I can marathon the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom