• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, One Piece is entertaining.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Cup of coffee in the big time!

Lunar15

If we go story wise weaker characters get control and stronger characters just get keep in place that is if what he using vs them.
Maybe there still time for him to use it on luffy and he use CoC

People are going to say things sexist sometimes no matter what you do .
I think it's a matter of numbers they are way more male characters so they get more time to do stuff .
People want the few females that there to shine and it does not happen every arc .

Or any arc lately, really. That excuse falls apart when you realize that Zoro has no issues "shining" every arc. I think the awful notion is that Jump is for boys and boys have no desire to see females fight or get hit. Looking at other Jump manga, I don't think that's necessarily true, but Oda and his editors stick to it like an obligation.

But whatever, my point was moreso that problems with sexism would be greatly diminished if Oda paced out his arcs in a way that there would be less characters who get more time to develop.

Or any arc lately, really. That excuse falls apart when you realize that Zoro has no issues "shining" every arc. I think the awful notion is that Jump is for boys and boys have no desire to see females fight or get hit. Looking at other Jump manga, I don't think that's necessarily true, but Oda and his editors stick to it like an obligation.

But whatever, my point was moreso that problems with sexism would be greatly diminished if Oda paced out his arcs in a way that there would be less characters who get more time to develop.

Zoro is luffy right hand , in fact unlike the other crew members his sole purpose is fighting.
Changing the pacing of the arc or number of people in the arc not going to chnage anything .
This is all about people wanting females to fight and win until oda does that again people going to complain .

The current crew has been in the story for hundreds of chapters. Not all of them needs to have some type of development in every single arc.

It's the main reason why I'm not so bothered by Sanji, Nami, Chopper, Brook being absent for the past 50 chapters. Let's have some focus on these minor recurring characters for a while since this is building up to foundation of Luffy's New World Allies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The current crew has been in the story for hundreds of chapters. Not all of them needs to have some type of development in every single arc.

It's the main reason why I'm not so bothered by Sanji, Nami, Chopper, Brook being absent for the past 50 chapters. Let's have some focus on these minor recurring characters for a while since this is building up to foundation of Luffy's New World Allies.

Also, I'm sure everyone that wasn't around this arc will have a big role in the next one. For all we know the next arc could start with us following them as they escape from Big Mom and make their way to the next island, and their adventures there until Luffy and the others show up and things kick into high gear.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
*sees people complaining that the pushing has taken too much time*
... It's been three chapters. They act like they've been pushing for half the arc.
The pushing began in 787. Today was 789.

BatDan

It's a combination of arc fatigue and the fact that most of these new readers have only recently started reading One Piece weekly.

These people wouldn't survive Weekly Skypiea or Enies Lobby
When the latter's chapters were coming out, people were complaining it was taking too long.

When the latter's chapters were coming out, people were complaining it was taking too long.

Let not forget the war when chapters were shorter and some chapters were nothing but double spreads .
Also oda was taking a lot of breaks then also , that arc had a lot of complaining .

l Iiked Viola's bravery here. She knew she was going to lose and still decided to stop doflamingo those last seconds.

But then Rebecca entered and fucked it up...

Well, i'm getting tired of the arc i think. Redundancy, as it has been mentioned, it's a key word and resonates too much with me lately. I want to see the new world, more islands, more crazyness, and the lenght of the arc and the breaks between chapters make it really difficult to enjoy.

For me, Dressrosa has done all it could, now it's drained out.

BatDan

Let not forget the war when chapters were shorter and some chapters were nothing but double spreads .
Also oda was taking a lot of breaks then also , that arc had a lot of complaining .

I've said it time and time again, One Piece is better in bulk than in weekly segments.
Hence why the volumes are major sellers in Japan. Reading 10 chapters at once instead of one chapter at a time has a better effect.

"Why is this flashback in the middle of the action? I want to see Luffy kick Eneru's ass already."

"What do you mean Gear Third didn't finish Lucci off?! Ugh, this arc needs to end."

I've heard it all.

We still have maybe 6 or 7 chapters of Dressrosa left.

Dugna

"Why is this flashback in the middle of the action? I want to see Luffy kick Eneru's ass already."

"What do you mean Gear Third didn't finish Lucci off?! Ugh, this arc needs to end."

I've heard it all.

That Flashback of Lucci in the series was definitely oddly put in there....I mean that's one of the only backstories I skip over everytime I rereard or rewatch One Piece, it felt so "meh?"

BatDan

I've heard it all.

"When are they going to get to Alabasta? I don't care for the stupid reindeer"

Next chapter will have Luffy finish off Doflamingo
Then a major wrap-up party. Cause it wouldn't be a One Piece arc without a big party.

That Flashback of Lucci in the series was definitely oddly put in there....I mean that's one of the only backstories I skip over everytime I rereard or rewatch One Piece, it felt so "meh?"

That part wasn't in the manga. In fact, Oda wanted to include it but he felt the arc had gone on long enough. So he gave the details to the anime team and they used it.

smurfx

get some go again
I doubt Law will let him live. Either that or Kaido will have his hide.
don't think fujitora will let him die though. he will get defeated and fujitora will then save him and whoever is left from his crew. after that he will likely get his title stripped from him since the world government does not need a warlord who just got his ass kicked in front of thousands of people. the marines turn on him and then he escapes and that is when kaidou will most likely find him and put an end to him because he failed to give him his fruits.

BatDan

Chapter 422: First couple pages has Vice Admiral Doberman tell Lucci's backstory.
So yeah, it's canon. The anime just expanded on it.

Tuck

I've said it time and time again, One Piece is better in bulk than in weekly segments.
Hence why the volumes are major sellers in Japan. Reading 10 chapters at once instead of one chapter at a time has a better effect.

Agreed - this whole birdcage nonsense is kind of painful, to be honest. Feels so dragged out. I imagine it would be better reading it in bulk.

Though even then...

Agreed - this whole birdcage nonsense is kind of painful, to be honest. Feels so dragged out. I imagine it would be better reading it in bulk.

Though even then...

If we go by vols it only going to be 3 chapters out of 10 to 12 chapters depending on chapter page count.
All leading to the don ko.

BatDan

The next volume (78) comes out next month, and it will have Chapters 776-785.
That covers:
Kyros defeating Diamante
Zoro defeating Pica
Luffy "defeating" Bellamy
The Birdcage begins to shrink
Law severely wounds Doflamingo, but Doffy heals himself and the battle with Luffy begins
Well, almost. Trebol is still there, but Law takes care of him. Now the battle really begins
GEAR FOURTH

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Okay done blowing off steam for now.

Anyone any predictions for Luffy's big "final attack" against Doflamingo?
If he doesn't use some variation of gum gum no storm, I'll be pretty disappointed. Luffy's 2/2 so far for using it against warlords as a finishing move.

TheChits

These breaks are really killing my vibe. I was really enjoying the arc, but the pacing has just felt so lethargic for a while now.

Mikasa? The "the entire value of my life and existence is tied to one man" Mikasa from Attack on Titan?

Really?

Really?

She kicks ass for that man. Eren is a whiny, petulant child. Mikasa is stoic, courageous, unflinching and, yes, in love.

Unlike the characters in OP, being in love doesn't immediately make her melt into puddy and become useless in a fight.

She kicks ass for that man. Eren is a whiny, petulant child. Mikasa is stoic, courageous, unflinching and, yes, in love.

Unlike the characters in OP, being in love doesn't immediately make her melt into puddy and become useless in a fight.

?? Love made Hancock turned people into stone and hit their fucking torso off.
Mikasa sucks!

Grexeno

Mikasa's combat capabilities don't change the fact that her character is completely defined by a man. She's a non-sucky Sakura.

Say what you will about female One Piece characters, but none of them are completely defined by a man.

Mikasa's combat capabilities don't change the fact that her character is completely defined by a man. She's a non-sucky Sakura.

Say what you will about female One Piece characters, but none of them are completely defined by a man.

Mind you she still gets save and use to hype male characters .
Luffy will finish don with a new animal name attack if he goes into gear 4.
A crocodile name base attack would be nice.

BatDan

Gear 4 Axe.
Or Bell. Bell would smash Doffy's face and finally break his glasses. We get a quick peek of his eyes before they white out.

georly

If luffy is going to take out doffy in one blow... does that mean the next issue is going to be 80% people pushing back the birdcage, or even a flashback? There's no way it doesn't END with doffy's KO, if luffy does what he promised.

I'll also be disappointed now, if luffy DOESNT get him in one hit.

If luffy is going to take out doffy in one blow... does that mean the next issue is going to be 80% people pushing back the birdcage, or even a flashback? There's no way it doesn't END with doffy's KO, if luffy does what he promised.

I'll also be disappointed now, if luffy DOESNT get him in one hit.

Your going to get luffy setting up the move.
If this goes like other arcs you also going to see don doing his last big attack.

So going by all OP history, once Doffy is out cold the cage will stop I guess.

One thing I always loved about Hunter X Hunter (my favorite series) is that it's established that knocking someone out doesn't cancel the power. In fact killing someone could make the ability they used on you much stronger and vengeful.

Being devoted to a man doesn't equal being defined by one. Sakura didn't suck because she was devoted, she sucked because she was blindly devoted to a man who didn't care at all about her.

Mikasa knows that Eren isn't perfect, and she does her best to make up for his flaws. She's badass on her own, Eren is just her motivation. The love that makes it worthwhile for her to get up in the morning.

This devotion could be seen as negative if Eren were some masculine paragon, but he isn't. Sure, Mikasa loses her will to live when she thinks Eren died, but Eren loses his will to live on a regular basis for far less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom