• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need bigger volumes.

One day VIZ will put out VIZBIG volumes for One Piece they way they have for Dragon Ball. One day.

Or maybe I'll just never own the series.

50 years, give or take a decade.

I'll totally buy it then.

Probably won't own the series a moment before.

ctopceb01.png

You guys never heard of this edition before?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Zolo is forever.

Viz dares not anger the One Piece rap.

That fucking rap plagues my nightmares. It disgusts me that people like it unironically. That garbage RUINED One Piece's chances in the west! That and the dreadful voice acting, the severe editing, and dialogue that was childish even by 4Kids' standards.

Unfortunately, that's not happening until the manga ends. Or possibly never.

They've said they'll do it eventually... they know fans hate "Zolo"

Bandini

That fucking rap plagues my nightmares. It disgusts me that people like it unironically. That garbage RUINED One Piece's chances in the west! That and the dreadful voice acting, the severe editing, and dialogue that was childish even by 4Kids' standards.

Yai-yo, yai-yo!
DREAMIN'! Don't give it up BatDan!

BatDan

When did you all start reading One Piece?
For me, it was back in 2003 with the very early issues of English Shonen Jump. A friend lent them to me.
Even with all the other manga in there, Yu Yu Hakusho, Dragon Ball, Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh, even Naruto, One Piece was the one that stood out to me the most.
When I heard 4Kids got the rights, I was nervous as I heard about the things they did to Yu-Gi-Oh.
It was worse than I thought.

That is why I can't defend the rap, or 98% of the 4Kids dub. The 2% is Marc Diraison as Zoro. He was the only one that was properly directed. A shame he had the worst lines...

It also didn't help that Naruto was starting and everyone was like "Oh my god it's so mature and adult". Those damn kids probably got one hell of a rude awakening when they got to filler hell, or the timeskip.

Squishy3

The rap is seriously the least of the problems with the 4kids' version.

3167115f81.png

38d5f58751.png
Don't even remember what this scene is but... the image sums it up (especially since there are other scenes where they remove blood, why didn't they do it for this scene?)
e514602f9a.png

094b2f2412.png

364ff07b73.png

I picked the ones that for the most part are the most nonsensical changes. I left out the bits where they censored out Smoker and Crocodile's cigars leaving just clouds of smoke in front of them. (This at least KIND OF makes sense for Smoker, and for Crocodile there's only one scene where they didn't scrub out the cloud of smoke, but it's still hilarious.)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I wonder if Doflamingo will have some arc in which he can somewhat redeem himself like Croc did. Or if he will just die by the hands of Kaidou. Or maybe he vanishes and hides to ride out the storm and comes back way later in the series. Hm

This man runs the criminal underground and most of the black market activity in the new world, right?

He's involved in the the slave trade, devil fruit trafficking, even development of WMDs apparently, and is the main supplier of Kaido's forces. Possibly also the source of the bomb that Crocodile had.

In a world of pirates, he stands out as particularly vile.

BatDan

I'm curious what Kaido is capable of.
All of Dressrosa was establishing how much of a powerhouse Doflamingo is. The control of his strings was god tier. He could have simply stuck with puppetry and cutting people a/la Rei in FotNS, but he learned body doubles, setting strings on fire, swinging on clouds a/la Spider-Man, the Bird Cage, stitching himself up with strings, and of course Devil Fruit Awakening where he can turn inanimate objects into strings and do all sorts of insane stuff.

And THIS MAN is afraid of Kaido.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm curious what Kaido is capable of.
All of Dressrosa was establishing how much of a powerhouse Doflamingo is. The control of his strings was god tier. He could have simply stuck with puppetry and cutting people a/la Rei in FotNS, but he learned body doubles, setting strings on fire, swinging on clouds a/la Spider-Man, the Bird Cage, stitching himself up with strings, and of course Devil Fruit Awakening where he can turn inanimate objects into strings and do all sorts of insane stuff.

And THIS MAN is afraid of Kaido.

We do know that Kaido likely has a Zoan and that those do grow stronger as the user levels up in strength so he's probably a monster.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Volume 78 cover, alongside 77's cover.

1510517_839061476186027_4755868797488793147_n.jpg

So good. We haven't had covers like these since Enies Lobby.
I'm glad Robin and Usopp made the cover over Kyros.

Also at first Robin's left arm looks like bad anatomy, but with her powers she might actually be sprouting it from Zoro's arm lol.

Mumei

You guys never heard of this edition before?

The 3-in-1 editions are absolutely terrible. They are printed on this atrociously thin paper stock, and are printed at the ordinary size. If you look up the dimensions on Amazon of examples of different lines:

One Piece, 600 pages (3-in-1): 5 x 1.3 x 7.5 inches
Monster Perfect Edition, 428 pages (VIZ Signature): 5.8 x 1.3 x 8.2 inches
Vagabond, 600 pages, (VIZBIG): 5.8 x 2 x 8.6 inches

Or to visualize the difference:

So I'm still stubbornly holding out!

The 3-in-1 editions are absolutely terrible. They are printed on this atrociously thin paper stock, and are printed at the ordinary size. If you look up the dimensions on Amazon of examples of different lines:

One Piece, 600 pages (3-in-1): 5 x 1.3 x 7.5 inches
Monster Perfect Edition, 428 pages (VIZ Signature): 5.8 x 1.3 x 8.2 inches
Vagabond, 600 pages, (VIZBIG): 5.8 x 2 x 8.6 inches

Or to visualize the difference:

So I'm still stubbornly holding out!

Yes, the paper quality isn't very good and it's the same size as the regular volumes, but for people who care more about space and less volume maintenance, it's passable.

hunnies28

Coul the KKG be even more powerful than what it was shown? The reason I ask is because they made a point of Luffy barely being able to hold on while being hit by Doflamingo's attack before.

I will never understand why people mark certain things as spoilers while everyone discusses an already-released chapter out in the open.

KKG = King Kong Gun.

I feel ya, but here at NeoGAF it's hard to predict when overly sensitive individuals will get their jimmies rustled over minor, commonly known details interpreted as spoilers.

Grexeno

I feel ya, but here at NeoGAF it's hard to predict when overly sensitive individuals will get their jimmies rustled over minor, commonly known details interpreted as spoilers.
C'MON GUYS HAVE SOME COURTESY FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T READ THE CHAPTER YET BECAUSE REASONS

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The manga spoiler rule has always been if the chapter is out in English then no spoiler tags needed. The only time I've ever seen this done differently is when FMA was ending.

inafking

There's the trope that if you don't see the body then it's not over...

Anyways, I can't see how much more stretching could be done in Luffy's vs Doffy fight...

ffdgh

There's the trope that if you don't see the body then it's not over...

Anyways, I can't see how much more stretching could be done in Luffy's vs Doffy fight...

You can see the body in that crater thankfully plus he lost his glasse. This madness has been going on long enough. >_>

BatDan

The manga spoiler rule has always been if the chapter is out in English then no spoiler tags needed. The only time I've ever seen this done differently is when FMA was ending.

I did get yelled at for unmarked Attack on Titan spoilers despite the chapter being out on Crunchyroll.
So... I don't know.

Oh i'd have loved to experience those times.

Also, mandatory "fuck 4kids" and that atrocious rap.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I did get yelled at for unmarked Attack on Titan spoilers despite the chapter being out on Crunchyroll.
So... I don't know.

All I know is the rules in the manga thread are when it's out in English anywhere it's fair game. There's always people that complain about it, but that'll happen no matter what the rule is.

BatDan

Which thread was this in?

One of the manga threads. Don't remember which one.

Oh i'd have loved to experience those times.

Also, mandatory "fuck 4kids" and that atrocious rap.

Thank you! I was there... I saw the episodes as they aired... I heard the horrors of screechy Luffy, clown Usopp voiced by Sonic, nasally Brooklyn Sanji, Southern Robin, manly voice Chopper, the inexplicable renaming of Ace to "Trace". It was dreadful. Always capped by that terrible theme song.

One of the manga threads. Don't remember which one.

Thank you! I was there... I saw the episodes as they aired... I heard the horrors of screechy Luffy, clown Usopp voiced by Sonic, nasally Brooklyn Sanji, Southern Robin, manly voice Chopper, the inexplicable renaming of Ace to "Trace". It was dreadful. Always capped by that terrible theme song.

Straight out of a nightmare.

i'll never forget them for changing Bellemere's rifle into a shovel. Who the fuck fights fishmen with a shovel? really...

[and then the dungeon stuff, ugh, can't believe they shitted over that awesome arc so much.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
All I know is the rules in the manga thread are when it's out in English anywhere it's fair game. There's always people that complain about it, but that'll happen no matter what the rule is.
If it is in a non related Mangas thread though and not the general thread it's kinda assholish to spoil something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom