• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
That was one hell of an epic punch. Looks like this actually is it for DF and his birdcage.

I'm a bit confused....
is the "something new" Rayleigh taught Luffy just Gear 4 + 3? Seems like Luffy would've figured that out on his own.

That whole part confused me. I was actually expecting him to show off something completely new. This is already the 2nd time it's been stated that Gear Fourth puts considerable strain on his body, just like Gear Second. Haki was the solution to working our the Gear Second limitation, but what's the work around here? Maybe it was a sloppy translation, but that conversation seems like it just didn't fit in with what happened after the fact.

georly

Spoilers are allowed here, right? WHat about pictures?

Wow, that was a reverse crocodile!

Amazing.

Luffy punched through doflamingo's threads from above and knocked him into the ground.
For croco, he punched through croco's sand from below and knocked him into the ceiling.

Exact inverses.

SIRF

That was one hell of an epic punch. Looks like this actually is it for DF and his birdcage.

That whole part confused me. I was actually expecting him to show off something completely new. This is already the 2nd time it's been stated that Gear Fourth puts considerable strain on his body, just like Gear Second. Haki was the solution to working our the Gear Second limitation, but what's the work around here? Maybe it was a sloppy translation, but that conversation seems like it just didn't fit in with what happened after the fact.

It looks like sloppy translation now that better scans are out.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

The better translation is out
What Rayleigh was really saying was "You should come up with a better alternative"

Kater

Banned
tumblr_nq4wr3DaRb1tyxfk5o1_1280.jpg

*chuckles*

petran79

Banned
Not having too much character development saves the main cast from forced development. That's why Oda focus more on side characters and villains. Other long running stories at this point would need to rewrite events or create character development out of nowhere to create interesting developments for there characters. Like a character just reveals to be afraid of heights. Then we spend a whole arc, exploding this point and at the end resolving it. This many times just feels like filler. Which it most the time actually is.

Oda pretty much creates side-stories, which a somehow connected all together and have Luffy and his crew solve the problems. Similar to Batman, the Straw hats become the least interesting part of those stories.

No need for forced character development. But also no need for no character development at all! Just interaction between the main cast and the environment. At least in Dressrossa they're in a city, not some deserted island. Opportunities would have been plenty for original stories.

Shonen manga like Konjiki no Gash pulled this through quite well from beginning to end.

But yeah at this point, one has really to get accustomed to the change the manga is going through. Difficult to keep the same pace for almost 20 years. Some things have to be sacrificed.

DAMN LUFFY YOU STRONK BRO

great chapter

interested to see how Kaidou is going to react to this, and to how the crew will deal with Big Mom right outside Dressarosa

hopefully we get into Yonkou territory real soon, and see some Shanks as well!

I took it as this. Luffy created Gear 4 while fighting all those giant beasts on the island, but he couldn't sustain it for very long, and ended up almost killing himself. Raleigh tells him "you should find a better alternative", so Luffy creates the massive King Kong Gun that has enough power to take out most things in one blow, and limits his time in Gear 4 as well so it has less of a strain on him.

I'm sure Luffy will find a way to sustain Gear 4 though

Nocebo

I took it as this. Luffy created Gear 4 while fighting all those giant beasts on the island, but he couldn't sustain it for very long, and ended up almost killing himself. Raleigh tells him "you should find a better alternative", so Luffy creates the massive King Kong Gun that has enough power to take out most things in one blow, and limits his time in Gear 4 as well so it has less of a strain on him.

I'm sure Luffy will find a way to sustain Gear 4 though
Wasn't it Rayleigh that said "I'll teach you something new"? or was that a poor translation? What did Rayleigh teach him? That if he can't last long he should increase the strength of his punch? Or was it Luffy that said that more in the vein of "Next time I'll show you something new!" and the translation was bad?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wasn't it Rayleigh that said "I'll teach you something new"? or was that a poor translation? What did Rayleigh teach him? That if he can't last long he should increase the strength of his punch? Or was it Luffy that said that more in the vein of "Next time I'll show you something new!" and the translation was bad?

Bad translation.
Don't trust those damn Bears.

Andddd.....KNOCKOUT!

rearrange.gif

King Kong Gun was ridiculously powerful.
Doflamingo's awakening moves in this chapter were pretty crazy too. Wings made of sharp threads....that's a nightmare coming right at you.

THE GLASSES ARE OFF!!!

THIS ISN'T A DRILL!

THE GLASSES ARE OFF!!

FH46AHH.gif

the translation i read went like this:

Rayleigh: Looks like you just barely survived again, Luffy! What happened to that Kong gun of yours?
Luffy: That was the problem Rayleigh! This one...This thing was way bigger than the last one! Kong Gun didn't do crap!
Rayleigh: Hahaha! Sounds like you were in quite the bind! Looks like you've got to come up with an alternative when faced with a similar situation. Gear 4...simply puts too much stress on your body.

I think that Luffy overcame the limitations of Gear 4 by creating a super powerful punch that combines Gear 3 and 4 and can take out most enemies in one hit, thus limiting his time in gear 4.

Anyone else compare the strawhats on the interior art to that old SBS about their nationalities?

Luffy was Japan, previously Brazilian
Zoro was German, previously Japanese
Nami was American, previously Swedish
Ussopp was Brazil, previously African
Sanji was French in both cases
Chopper was Canadian in both cases
Robin could still be Russian, I couldn't tell by what she was wearing
Franky was wearing a Chinese dragon shirt, previously American
Brook was English, previously austrian

Anyone else compare the strawhats on the interior art to that old SBS about their nationalities?

could you link to the old one?

I think that Luffy overcame the limitations of Gear 4 by creating a super powerful punch that combines Gear 3 and 4 and can take out most enemies in one hit, thus limiting his time in gear 4.

I don't think he used Gear Third. It looks like he just added more air to his arm.

Kind of like this.

H9tNPpf.jpg

That was epic AF.

1) Please god let this FINALLY be fucking over.

2) Let Wano be all the fucking Straw Hats. I hate that it'll be Wano (Zoro and Luffy do everything again yaaaaaaaay) but at least make it so everybody is together. If he doesn't I wont read it because it's been over 2 years.

I thought the arc was over then remembered we still have to go to Zou which is right next to Dressrosa

Hopefully they ditch Rebecca and never talk to her again before they go

I thought the arc was over then remembered we still have to go to Zou which is right next to Dressrosa

Hopefully they ditch Rebecca and never talk to her again before they go

I wish but that's not gonna happen. For once I think it's pretty obvious how things are gonna go down. Kyros didn't want Rebecca fighting but Rebecca's probably painfully aware at this point that sometimes you just gotta beat the shit out of somebody or others will die. Her dream is gonna be to become a strong fighter capable of defending her friends, like the Straw Hats and Kyros, and she's gonna join the crew to train under them. I don't see any other outcome for her personally.

I wish but that's not gonna happen. For once I think it's pretty obvious how things are gonna go down. Kyros didn't want Rebecca fighting but Rebecca's probably painfully aware at this point that sometimes you just gotta beat the shit out of somebody or others will die. Her dream is gonna be to become a strong fighter capable of defending her friends, like the Straw Hats and Kyros, and she's gonna join the crew to train under them. I don't see any other outcome for her personally.

Oh god please no. Her fucking battle bikini is bad enough for a single, seemingly unending arc. But we need to just GET THE CREW TOGETHER BECAUSE THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF THE MANGA and move forward.

Yeah let's have a party!

Luffy the entire city is destroyed and we're all homeless. The government is probably going to kill us all before they'd help us what the hell is wrong with you.

So a female Usopp without all of the great character development and godly moments?

Taborcarn

Robin is from India in this one.

Grexeno

Only one other person will die in OP and I'm almost positive it'll be Garp at the very very very end to make Luffy go rage HAM and beat whoever the big bad ends up being.
Law's fruit allows him to give someone immortality, or potentially bring someone back from the dead, at the cost of his life.

He is 100% dying eventually.

Law's fruit allows him to give someone immortality, or potentially bring someone back from the dead, at the cost of his life.

He is 100% dying eventually.

True I had almost forgotten about that given that it's been a year since it was brought up in the manga.

Still there will be maybe 2-3 deaths. Maybe. And one WILL NOT be Sabo I can guarantee that.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Only one other person will die in OP and I'm almost positive it'll be Garp at the very very very end to make Luffy go rage HAM and beat whoever the big bad ends up being.
Nah this will likely happen to Shanks. Garp is a legend and already backed down from the active scene don't see him dying in a fight and Luffy wouldn't go HAM because of that.

Someone killing or heavenly wounding Shanks though...after that King Kong move he just pulled on Dofla you probably don't want to the person on the receiving end. Probably will need that kind of emotional trigger to take out the likes of Blackbeard near the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom