• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love DressRossa arc , so many thing that i wanted to see done happen.
i feel when people go back and read it in next few years they will see how good it was.
Right now thanks to reading it weekly and the breaks people just want to move on .

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
That's very likely. Like Ace he's one of Luffy's major influences, and his death can play a major role in Luffy's character.
Oda has stated that he doesn't like to kill unless it plays an important part. Hence the deaths of Ace & Whitebeard.
It's also why I don't think Vergo & Monet are dead.
Vergo and Monet are SUPER dead. Particularly Monet. She got stabbed in the heart.

Vergo and Monet are SUPER dead. Particularly Monet. She got stabbed in the heart.

Pell :|

I know the story about 9/11 in that case and whatnot but Oda tries really really hard not to kill anyone that has a name in the manga. Which is kinda a bad thing because then no one ever seems in real danger. So i can see why some can doubt their deaths.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Skypiea was ridiculous about that. Enel's giant thunder bombs didn't kill ANYONE? Ok.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Kumadori got utterly destroyed by Monster Chopper
Kalifa got a lightning bolt through the chest
And somehow Lucci was the one that required surgery in the aftermath of Enies Lobby.

Plus, all the opponents Zoro cuts.

360pages

The small things this arc from alabasta, but it's overall flow and beats borrow heavily from that arc. To the point where it is similar and worse than that arc. Actually one of my overall problems with One Piece that a lot of arcs follow.

(Straw hats go to X figure out it is ruled or in danger by Y and they stop Y and make X a better place)

The arcs that break away from that are usually the best in the series. (Enis lobby, Impel Down Marineford) dessaora to me represent that arc take to its extreme. Outside some really neat abilities Dessaora felt like a missmatch of other One Piece arcs

Squishy3

Dressrosa is just too big for its own good and went on for a long time most importantly with what feels like very little progress actually made for a good amount of chapters, hopefully Oda can balance it better for future arcs.

The Doflamingo fight had so many blockers to actual progress in Luffy vs Doflamingo it just made the whole thing kind of drag. This should've been as good as Luffy vs Lucci, but it wasn't. Especially since the people Luffy fought before Doflamingo were jobbers. Hody literally posed no threat to Luffy at all. Caesar technically did, but that fight still wasn't really taxing in any way.

Hopefully the post-defeat payoff is pretty good.

Luffy couldn't defeat Doflamingo on his own. He needed a lot of help from Law and other people just to make it as far as he did in their battle.

Doflamingo was in bad shape after Law used gamma knife and even then he was holding out well against Gear 4th.

And remember, the main goal of traveling to Dressrosa was to destroy the Smile Factory and piss off Kaido.

However, plans never go perfectly in manga and a bunch of situations lead to the new plan of kicking Doffy's ass and liberating Dressrosa.
Probably not, but again, this isn't Luffy's fight. He doesn't have the drive to even Kill Doffy like he would saving Robin from Lucci or Nami from Arlong. It was never a 1vs1 in spirit to begin with. If it was, I would imagine Gear 4 coming out a lot sooner.

And really, Doffy didn't do well at all against Gear 4. Luffy needed a crutch (too much stamina drain -_ -) to stop kicking his ass. The fight was definitely not an equal footing one.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Dressrosa is just too big for its own good and went on for a long time most importantly with what feels like very little progress actually made for a good amount of chapters, hopefully Oda can balance it better for future arcs.

The Doflamingo fight had so many blockers to actual progress in Luffy vs Doflamingo it just made the whole thing kind of drag. This should've been as good as Luffy vs Lucci, but it wasn't. Especially since the people Luffy fought before Doflamingo were jobbers. Hody literally posed no threat to Luffy at all. Caesar technically did, but that fight still wasn't really taxing in any way.

Hopefully the post-defeat payoff is pretty good.
The fact that nobody before Doflamingo posed a threat and made Luffy serious is similar to his part one fights.

He trashed Krieg, Arlong, and everyone else before Croc with little effort. Aside from Smoker, that is. In fact, part two is better about this. Krieg and Arlong were never real threats outside of their buildup. Hody had Noah falling on Fishman Island and there was an external threat that went beyond him simply being "strong" or "not strong". Same with Caesar - he had an interesting ability that Luffy wasn't expecting, and he actually managed to take him out once because of it.

360pages

The fact that nobody before Doflamingo posed a threat and made Luffy serious is similar to his part one fights.

He trashed Krieg, Arlong, and everyone else before Croc with little effort. Aside from Smoker, that is. In fact, part two is better about this. Krieg and Arlong were never real threats outside of their buildup. Hody had Noah falling on Fishman Island and there was an external threat that went beyond him simply being "strong" or "not strong". Same with Caesar - he had an interesting ability that Luffy wasn't expecting, and he actually managed to take him out once because of it.

But that is acting like Time Skips is resetting everything so they have to rebuild everything back up. The Return Arc and Fishman island was enough build up honestly.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
But that is acting like Time Skips is resetting everything so they have to rebuild everything back up. The Return Arc and Fishman island was enough build up honestly.

That's what's happening right now though, except instead of building up the Straw Hats he's building up the background characters and everyone who will play a roll later on. We're just in the middle of the second act lull right now, where everything around the main cast is changing in preparation for the third act showdown.

Don't believe anyone is dead in OP until you see a corpse. Even then, don't believe that they're dead.

Luffy vs Lucci was the most prolonged and dragged fight in Enies Lobby. It went on for almost two volumes.
Not saying that Luffy and Doflamingo wasn't just as dragged, but both of them didn't really start fighting earnestly until 780.
I find the Lucci fight to be one of the most overrated battles in the manga.

Probably not, but again, this isn't Luffy's fight. He doesn't have the drive to even Kill Doffy like he would saving Robin from Lucci or Nami from Arlong.

Luffy doesn't have the drive to kill because he doesn't kill. He just kicks their ass and leaves them to cry broken and defeated.

It was never a 1vs1 in spirit to begin with. If it was, I would imagine Gear 4 coming out a lot sooner.

And really, Doffy didn't do well at all against Gear 4. Luffy needed a crutch (too much stamina drain -_ -) to stop kicking his ass. The fight was definitely not an equal footing one.

It started as Law and Luffy vs Doffy and Trebol.
Then went Bellamy got involved.
Then Law was stuck fighting Doffy and Trebol while Luffy fought Bellamy and Doffy's clone.
Then it was Luffy and Law vs Doffy and Trebol again.
Then it was Luffy vs Doflamingo

The entire blueprint for the fight was so different than any fight we've seen for an arc climax battle. It's very...odd.
I think some people liked the idea of Luffy fighting alongside someone on equal footing with him, but Doflamingo has a very broken power and he's very conniving, so you had Law there to help.

BatDan

Luffy doesn't have the drive to kill because he doesn't kill. He just kicks their ass and leaves them to cry broken and defeated.

I believe Oda said that leaving the villains alive with all their dreams crushed is a much worse fate than death.

360pages

I believe Oda said that leaving the villains alive with all their dreams crushed is a much worse fate than death.

True, but outside of maybe Hody, most of the major villains didn't care or went on. Crocodile in the long run didn't even seem that torn up about it. And Enel legit got exactly what he wanted.

Though a lot of early arc villains pretty much are doomed. I do like the idea of Oda leaving villains alive considering Crocodile only got better in his later appearances.

BatDan

Kuro lost his dream of "peace of mind", being forced back into piracy.
Krieg as far as we know went back into the Grand Line with Ghin leading the way this time.
Arlong lost his park, his empire, rotting in a prison somewhere. I don't think it's Impel Down since he didn't show up.
As mentioned, Crocodile didn't seem too broken up about losing Alabasta and Pluton. Now he's out there in the New World. I imagine Luffy would still destroy him considering the implication that Doffy was stronger than Crocodile even two years ago. Plus, Haki.
Eneru got his dream of going to the moon.
Lucci & CP9... well aren't CP9 anymore. I do wonder if they turned to piracy (that one hat during the Weapon Auction raised soooo many theories)
Moriah lost his zombie army, but not his Warlord status... until the Paramount War and orders from the Celestial Dragons to have him killed (he escaped likely due to Absalom)
Hody didn't get anything, and is now a 30 year old Fishman with a 100 year old body.

It started as Law and Luffy vs Doffy and Trebol.
Then went Bellamy got involved.
Then Law was stuck fighting Doffy and Trebol while Luffy fought Bellamy and Doffy's clone.
Then it was Luffy and Law vs Doffy and Trebol again.
Then it was Luffy vs Doflamingo

The entire blueprint for the fight was so different than any fight we've seen for an arc climax battle. It's very...odd.
I think some people liked the idea of Luffy fighting alongside someone on equal footing with him, but Doflamingo has a very broken power and he's very conniving, so you had Law there to help.

I think that is what made the fighting interesting .
Oda want it to be a team fight but at the same time he did not want law and luffy fighting don at the same time for to long.
I mean after seeing gear 4 if luffy and law fight don in a full 2 on 1 fight they would wreck him .
Also it's not only Don power that was good he is a physical beast .

Syntsui

Shanks is going to war with Blackbeard and will die before Luffy can return the hat. It's such an obvious and emo future arc that I hope it's too obvious for Oda.

But soon we will probably get the year long epic saga of how Sanji single-handedly defeats Big Mom's flagship. Then we get the amazing Zo = Oz arc that everyone seems to think is set in stone.

If Oda was Kishimoto this would obviously happen, but no, too predictable. I have no idea what's on his mind but it surely won't involve Shanks dying to BB.

Jigolo

Burgess beating Sabo would be the biggest twist. I'm sure he's going to be captured by the Revolutionary Army and they will try to interrogate him.

Burgess beating Sabo would be the biggest twist. I'm sure he's going to be captured by the Revolutionary Army and they will try to interrogate him.
Didn't Sabo manage Burgess, who seems to have some caution and "respect" for him, pretty good in the final battle of the Colosseum? I'm pretty sure he won't have a problem now that he is DF-enhanced.
On top of that, he does have Koala as a backup, i doubt she would sit and wait while Burgess trashes Sabo.

BatDan

Didn't Sabo manage Burgess, who seems to have some caution and "respect" for him, pretty good in the final battle of the Colosseum? I'm pretty sure he won't have a problem now that he is DF-enhanced.
On top of that, he does have Koala as a backup, i doubt she would sit and wait while Burgess trashes Sabo.

Koala & Hack. Two masters of Fishman Karate.

Squishy3

The latest episode of the anime made it kind of ridiculous that Trebol's power was just him actually being a really skinny guy moving around in his snot but then I remembered how Law's power works.

Which means Law could have killed Trebol there if he just sliced regularly considering he sliced Trebol 3 times horizontally.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The latest episode of the anime made it kind of ridiculous that Trebol's power was just him actually being a really skinny guy moving around in his snot but then I remembered how Law's power works.

Which means Law could have killed Trebol there if he just sliced regularly considering he sliced Trebol 3 times horizontally.
I really kinda wonder if Oda changed his mind on Trebol's powers mid-arc. Because both Law's and Usopp's attacks make it really hard to believe that he's not a logia. Also the revelation that he's a paramecia with a small fast body doesn't go anywhere plot-wise. Law could've just used haki against a logia Trebol and we would have gotten the same result.

What's the point of radio knife cutting the body repeatedly if he's not a logia who can reform in the first place. Law could've cut him regularly and killed him or used his normal powers and split him up anyways. You don't need to worry about a paramecia reforming their body...

Yeah the part where Trebol's hand is visibly cut off made me go "wow what the fuck man"

I mean what's the point of Radio Knife inside of a Room?

Then I remembered that if there's any group of people in the world who don't give a fuck about consistency it's One Piece animators

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I'm hoping someone asks Oda about that in an upcoming SBS.
Q:"Oda-san, I must ask the biggest mystery about Trebol!!! Is his penis also made of snot?! I must know!"

A: "What a naughty question!! Don't your parents teach you to not ask such things?! ....But Yes ha-ha"

BatDan

And now for something slightly different.

Mad Max Fury Road done in Oda's style.
CInvWGFUkAAY4Aq.jpg:large

Whoever drew this did a damn good job capturing it.

Dugna

And now for something slightly different.

Mad Max Fury Road done in Oda's style.

Whoever drew this did a damn good job capturing it.

Yeah it was great work, been seeing it on twitter and for a sec I thought Oda just recently saw the movie and wanted to make a drawing of it.

Jarate

Banned
I think the worst part about this arc is we wont have a proper party chapter until Luffy & Co meet up again with Sanji & Co

One Piece has the best WE BEAT THE VILLAIN LET'S EAT AND DRINK celebrations in all of anime

Guys I just now today realized the animal theme in the Shichibukai and I have been reading for 7 or so years, MiHAWK, Bartholomew KUMA, CROCODILE, DoFLAMINGO, BOA Hancock...

I'm so dumb. Dunno where Jinbei goes but I guess he's a fish already

Guys I just now today realized the animal theme in the Shichibukai and I have been reading for 7 or so years, MiHAWK, Bartholomew KUMA, CROCODILE, DoFLAMINGO, BOA Hancock...

I'm so dumb. Dunno where Jinbei goes but I guess he's a fish already
Yeah, but now we have a big Combo-breaker with Buggy as a part of them ... or he did adapt some animal theme after his ... "promotion" ...

Maybe some lion theme? With Richie, the fitting animal is already there ... if my memory doesn't fail me, Mohji, Cabaji and Richie came back to Buggy after the war.

Yeah, but now we have a big Combo-breaker with Buggy as a part of them ... or he did adapt some animal theme after his ... "promotion" ...

Maybe some lion theme? With Richie, the fitting animal is already there ... if my memory doesn't fail me, Mohji, Cabaji and Richie came back to Buggy after the war.

That was just the original 7, Law and Blackbeard don't have the theme either

This makes me wonder and I've thought about this for a long time - there is no way Akainu will let the Shichibukai exist much longer. Kizaru and Fujitora don't like it either, and Doflamingo and Law will probably be dropped soon. The only ones not actively stepping on thin ice at every point are Mihawk who just wants to be left alone and Kuma who is essentially dead and a walking WG cyborg. I think Akainu would have been long fed up with them and abolish it, which would probably but Hancock in danger of being Buster Call'd or Buggy losing his protection after using it as leverage like he is probably doing. One man alone defeating three of them is rather disgraceful to their image, and everyone but Mihawk and Kuma are just using it as a stepping stone for more power to hide being diplomatic immunity from the marines. If Crocodile and Blackbeard's betrayals weren't the breaking point then Doflamingo's shenanigans probably will be. I expect the Shichibukai to be dissolved soon, but not before we see the seventh member we haven't seen yet.

SolVanderlyn

I've been looking at this image... (if it counts as a scan I'll take it down)

dsbm1kV.png

I hope Oda makes those new, nameless characters important down the line. Their designs are really cool and they obviously rank highly in Shanks' crew due to standing in the front row like that. Also notice how they number nine, the same number as Luffy's crew.

And on that note, the prospect of Usopp meeting Yasopp (and Yasopp getting any real development at all) is way more exciting than Luffy reuniting with Shanks.

@SolVanderlyn: They probably will be made somewhat important in the future, yeah. And I'm sure they got names. Oda often names most of his creations, but doesn't always mention all the names in the story because he doesn't want to confuse readers. Someone always asks in SBS (happened during Alabasta, Marineford and more) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom