• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dugna

I liked this chapter too. Go Luffy!

Nice to see everyone's happy reactions.

Kyros ;-;

BUT WHERE WAS SABO ODA????????????????

think they'll go back to the Sunny next chapter?

We're really close to chapter 800 too, I bet that will be a cool chapter.

Also why didn't Luffy just use the King Kong Gun when he first went into Gear 4?

Probably uses tons of Haki since it took a full recharge to just use it, so he probably wanted to make sure Doffy was weakened so it fully worked.

Lunar15

I have a feeling Sabo's fine, but I definitely think Burgess will return in the next chapter to make a move on either Luffy or Doflamingo. His side story needs resolution, and in doing so, Oda can set up a tidbit about Blackbeard.

I'm not sure Burgess leaves this island empty handed.

This was a nice "the villain has been beaten and we have been liberated" hope-lifting chapter. Some of you wanted too much to happen in the chapter RIGHT AFTER the villain's defeat.
Everyone needs time to breath and take in the outcome.

Kyros breaking down at the end hit me hard in the heart. :(

We still have a lot of things to wrap up and too many potential plot points and future voyages are lingering about.
At best, I say we have about four more chapters of Dressrosa before Luffy and the others move on.

WE STILL NEED TO SEE DOFFY'S EYES. DON'T TOY WITH ME, ODA!

360pages

It really does, kind of wanted to avoid everyone jumping on me. But it kind of just feels like Alabasta again but worse.

Except the conclusion feels a lot less personal than when Luffy Defeated Crocodile despite it being on a bigger scale.

Besides the obvious comparisons between Doflamingo and Crocodile, no. It's really not like Alabasta.
This arc is only slightly similar, but it feels more in line with Skypiea and Marienford.

It might change on a re-read.

A princess

A person who was part of the main villians group put later turned out to not be the case

a king shamed and framed by a Shichibukai

a Shichibukai who rules over the kingdom

Both have a series of very powerful subordinates in their own self-established organizations

In both Arcs, one of Luffy's brothers has appeared and fought with a powerful Marine

and this is just a few....

Edit: Of course it has a tad bit of other arcs splashed in for good measure but the main dish is Alabasta

A princess

There's that. And we've had four princesses in this arc, which is ridiculous.

A person who was part of the main villians group put later turned out to not be the case

That's two.

a king shamed and framed by a Shichibukai

That's three.

a Shichibukai who rules over the kingdom

Crocodile never ruled Alabasta.

Both have a series of very powerful subordinates in their own self-established organizations
Skypiea
Thriller Bark

In both Arcs, one of Luffy's brothers has appeared and fought with a powerful Marine

Smoker and Ace never actually fought in the manga. At least, not on-screen to my knowledge.

Of course it has a tad bit of other arcs splashed in for good measure but the main dish is Alabasta

Now that you brought up those points, I can see how it's very similar and might come off as a re-hash of Alabasta.

It has to be a planned collation on Oda's part to show the contrast between Doffy and Crocodile. The two have some mysterious history that was hinted at in Marinefod.
There's a chance we might see some more revelations about what that might be.

Lunar15

And since Law is basically Vivi this time around, I bet he'll wear a dress, paint an x on his arm, and cry when the straw hats leave.

Maybe I'm misremembering because I marathoned most of the manga, but I feel like in the past, a villian's defeat and people freaking out about the victory would be in the same chapter. Either way, devoting one whole chapter to declaring luffy the victor seems egregious.

Then again, that's this whole arc in a nutshell.

I'm not particularly upset, but I'd agree that Luffy vs. Doflamingo was a bit of a disappointment compared to past fights. Either Luffy or Doflamingo other always had the upper hand immediately, whereas the best fights in the past had luffy constantly outsmarting or withstanding attacks on a fairly even balance. In this, it was either Doflamingo who felt overpowered or Luffy.

What's funny is that the fight kind of played out like a mix of Lucci and Crocodile, but didn't really feel as effective as either of them. Still, there were things I liked, and Doflamingo remains a memorable villain, better than most in my opinion.
yeah I liked the arc overall, and the characters in it, but it still feels like a big trilogy movie and this was the sequel. I still don't think Luffy can have a cool fight like Lucci vs. Luffy when his Gear 4 form is so comical, so I'm hoping all the speculation is right and this is just one version of Gear 4. But yeah, it felt just like Doffy was way stronger, then Luffy was way strong, pacing was definitely not the best and this fight still didn't feel like it was completely Luffy's, it was definitely a lot of screen time shared with Law.

I still don't feel like Luffy went all the way out here. He pretty much owned Doffy in Gear 4, just ran out of "Juice" to make the fight more even.

Dugna

I see Dressarosa related to Alabasta in the way of Oda showing people what the straw hats would do in a post alabasta type of country. Meaning it's already taken over and people mostly gave up hope and Luffy and them finally gave them it.

Where as in Alabasta or atleast the Saga we spent time over several islands building up to Alabasta itself making it more personal so seeing culmination of alabasata felt more natural and less "rushed" then Dressarosa where Straw hats kinda just showed up destroyed crap like they usual do with random found islands.

Just what made it all feel weird is the similarities is all.

I see Dressarosa related to Alabasta in the way of Oda showing people what the straw hats would do in a post alabasta type of country. Meaning it's already taken over and people mostly gave up hope and Luffy and them finally gave them it.

Where as in Alabasta or atleast the Saga we spent time over several islands building up to Alabasta itself making it more personal so seeing culmination of alabasata felt more natural and less "rushed" then Dressarosa where Straw hats kinda just showed up destroyed crap like they usual do with random found islands.

basically how I feel

Dressrosa is a tacit admission by Oda that he's more than willing to keep working at One Piece for another fifteen or twenty years. He'll be the richest man in Japan by the time the shit is over.

Oda saying he will work on OP for another 10 years is cool but then you'd have to consider his pacing and how many years will be wasted on one arc

I feel like 20-30 chapters is the sweet spot for a arc unless the arc is grander in scale (by land area rather then by people attending) there isn't a reason to exceed a certain amount of chapters

and accumulating a bunch of those towards 200+ chapters for a saga

WHERE IS MY ANIMAL SIDEKICK DESIGNED TO SELL FIGURES?

Fighting_Bull_Anime_Infobox.png

yeah I liked the arc overall, and the characters in it, but it still feels like a big trilogy movie and this was the sequel. I still don't think Luffy can have a cool fight like Lucci vs. Luffy when his Gear 4 form is so comical, so I'm hoping all the speculation is right and this is just one version of Gear 4. But yeah, it felt just like Doffy was way stronger, then Luffy was way strong, pacing was definitely not the best and this fight still didn't feel like it was completely Luffy's, it was definitely a lot of screen time shared with Law.

I still don't feel like Luffy went all the way out here. He pretty much owned Doffy in Gear 4, just ran out of "Juice" to make the fight more even.

Luffy couldn't defeat Doflamingo on his own. He needed a lot of help from Law and other people just to make it as far as he did in their battle.

Doflamingo was in bad shape after Law used gamma knife and even then he was holding out well against Gear 4th.

And remember, the main goal of traveling to Dressrosa was to destroy the Smile Factory and piss off Kaido.

However, plans never go perfectly in manga and a bunch of situations lead to the new plan of kicking Doffy's ass and liberating Dressrosa.

Dugna

Luffy couldn't defeat Doflamingo on his own. He needed a lot of help from Law and other people just to make it as far as he did in their battle.

Doflamingo was in bad shape after Law used gamma knife and even then he was holding out well against Gear 4th.

And remember, the main goal of traveling to Dressrosa was to destroy the Smile Factory and piss off Kaido.

However, plans never go perfectly in manga and a bunch of situations lead to the new plan of kicking Doffy's ass and liberating Dressrosa.

Yeah but leading up to dressarosa was punk hazard which is what they randomly stopped at...I guess the same could be said for Whiskey peak and Alabasata but dunno whiskey peak -> to alabasta felt alittle more natural more islands and newer thing of the series I guess.

Yeah but leading up to dressarosa was punk hazard which is what they randomly stopped at...I guess the same could be said for Whiskey peak and Alabasata but dunno whiskey peak -> to alabasta felt alittle more natural more islands and newer thing of the series I guess.

You're forgetting that Doflamingo isn't the end-game of Luffy and Law's alliance.
Kaido is.

I'm starting to feel that One Piece has built up such a lore and set up in its world that it simply can't afford to laze around with islands anymore. Raftel really needs to start coming into view to swing the momentum of the story forward by this point.

They are just starting the second half, people are just exhausted of the same setting for so much chapters. Once we start moving on to other islands this feeling of wanting to rush everything will disappear.

People just have to accept there's still a lot of ground to cover in this world.

But with how Dressarosa went it kinda seemed like Law seeing Doffy defeated kinda makes him satisfied...

Even if Law is satisfied, Luffy is too stubborn and lock-sighted that he'll force Law to continue on with the Kaido plan.

I'm starting to feel that One Piece has built up such a lore and set up in its world that it simply can't afford to laze around with islands anymore. Raftel really needs to start coming into view to swing the momentum of the story forward by this point.

After the second New World island? That's preposterous.

We still have another decade at best before Raftel. And that won't even be the end of the story. The World Government takedown and the Final War still need to happen after the One Piece is found.

Metal B

You're forgetting that Doflamingo isn't the end-game of Luffy and Law's alliance.
Kaido is.
I guess, the next chapter will be about bring down an Yonko and alliances. This is the only way to top this story, since Luffy defeated the last really stand-alone Shichibukai. The rest are either allies, have no direct goals or are Buggy. A Yonko is the next level and we still have to deal with the other Supernovas.

The big question is, who are they facing. Luffy and Law have an alliance to defeat Kaido, but the other Straw Hats were attacked by Big Mama. Bringing down Doflamingo wasn't just a personal goal from Law, it was also meant to weaken Kaido by cutting up his supplies on Smile. Kaido very likely will here from Luffys and Laws action against him. Two Yonko will trying to get to Luffy and there is also Kid's alliance, who has a history of attacking Big Mama's ships.

In my opinion Luffy and Law will going after Kaido, while in the meantime Kid attacks Big Mama. Bu i have no idea, how Oda will work out the arc, since the missing Straw Hats are involved with Big Mama.

We still have another decade at best before Raftel. And that won't even be the end of the story. The World Government takedown and the Final War still need to happen after the One Piece is found.
Does fining One Piece and reaching Raftel makes someone the Pirate King or becoming the strongest their is. Reaching Raftel sounds more of a prove of power, then some automatic be crowning.

I liked the arc, yes it dragged on a bit longer then it should have, but I still thought it was excellent.

Honestly the best and worst part of Oda's writing is that he gives everyone time to shine, but in arcs like this and Skypiea he gets a bit too much like Kubo in giving too much screen time to characters we don't care about as much.

I kind of think One Piece should go monthly, 40-50 pages would give Oda more space to advance the 4-6 plots running at once or give a whole chapter dedicated to one plot line to wrap it up or give it significant development. It would probably also help keep Oda out of the hospital all the damn time.

I guess, the next chapter will be about bring down an Yonko and alliances. This is the only way to top this story, since Luffy defeated the last really stand-alone Shichibukai. The rest are either allies, have no direct goals or are Buggy. A Yonko is the next level and we still have to deal with the other Supernovas.

The big question is, who are they facing. Luffy and Law have an alliance to defeat Kaido, but the other Straw Hats were attacked by Big Mama. Bringing down Doflamingo wasn't just a personal goal from Law, it was also meant to weaken Kaido by cutting up his supplies on Smile. Kaido very likely will here from Luffys and Laws action against him. Two Yonko will trying to get to Luffy and there is also Kid's alliance, who has a history of attacking Big Mama's ships.

In my opinion Luffy and Law will going after Kaido, while in the meantime Kid attacks Big Mama. Bu i have no idea, how Oda will work out the arc, since the missing Straw Hats are involved with Big Mama.

It's really interesting. We're at a point where we have no idea what could happen next, yet we know where we have to go, from a story standpoint.
Big Mom is a massive wild card right now. Oda could have her be an temporary ally or potential threat. We also don't know how Kid and his alliance may contribute.
Plus, we have Wano over the horizon as well.

Does fining One Piece and reaching Raftel makes someone the Pirate King or becoming the strongest their is. Reaching Raftel sounds more of a prove of power, then some automatic be crowning.

Becoming Pirate King has always seemed to be tantamount to finding One Piece. But I don't think it will be that simple when the crew arrives at Raftel.
Maybe the treasure on Raftel isn't the "actual" One Piece?
Luffy equates being the Pirate King with having the most freedom in the world. The biggest threat to that freedom would be the World Government.

Meh chapter but a needed one nonetheless. Oda has always done these "everyone is happy" chapters after every arc conclusion.

Also to the discussion above, Raftel is just such a mistery and wildcard, i literally cant even imagine what the island is going to be like and what will happen when they reach it. i trust Oda will pull it off. It will probably be something no one predicted as always.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One thing that's likely is that there's a specific method on how to get there.
In Whitebeard's flashback with Roger, he told WB "Want me to tell how to get to Raftel?"
Something that only Roger and his crew know about. That includes Rayleigh, Shanks, and Buggy.
Rayleigh's retired, Shanks likely has his own reasons for not going after One Piece (much like Whitebeard), and Buggy is... Buggy.
Plus, it's been 24 years and nobody has managed to get to Raftel since. There has to be a special method to get there. Maybe involving the Poneglyphs.

But yeah, Dressrosa was a great arc. Ran a bit long sure, wasn't helped by the mandatory breaks, but like every arc it will be amazing when binged.

When you look at the sheer scope of it, Dressrosa was an inevitable arc for the manga.
With the focus-shift on gaining allies and creating pirate alliances, the cast of new gladiator competitors who are going to be allies for the Straw Hat Pirates had to come together at some point. If Luffy is going to become the Pirate King, he needs a fleet of allies that rivals Whitebeard's, and he also needs them for when they clash with the Yonkou and eventually the WG.

Plus we've got
- Doflamingo, who is connected to the Underworld and the Celestial Dragons.
- Fujitora, who is connected to the Marines and their new surge of power.
- Sabo, who is connected to the Revolutionary Army.
- Burgess, who is connected to Blackbeard.
- Big Mom and her crew in hot pursuit of the Thousand Sunny.
- Kaido, of course.

I wouldn't be surprised if the events of Dessrosa have lasting repercussions on the rest of the voyage in the New World, if not for the rest of the series.
Oda has enough plot threads to keep us satisfied for years.

cntr

Banned
Rayleigh's retired, Shanks likely has his own reasons for not going after One Piece (much like Whitebeard), and Buggy is... Buggy.

I'm pretty sure they don't go get One Piece because they respect their captain's wishes. He probably told them that he wanted a new crew to find One Piece, rather than having one of his own crew reclaim it -- which would be pretty boring, since they put it there.

BatDan

I'm pretty sure they don't go get One Piece because they respect their captain's wishes. He probably told them that he wanted a new crew to find One Piece, rather than having one of his own crew reclaim it -- which would be pretty boring, since they put it there.

That's a good point.
Shanks is an Emperor to likely test any possible crews. "Are you worthy of my former captain's treasure?"

cntr

Banned
also

Since he was on Roger's crew, Buggy knows some of the greatest secrets of the world, such as what the Poneglyphs are trying to tell us, among other shit.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I really have no idea what role Shanks is going to play going forward... I really think he's gonna die, as much as I don't want that to happen.

BatDan

I really have no idea what role Shanks is going to play going forward... I really think he's gonna die, as much as I don't want that to happen.

That's very likely. Like Ace he's one of Luffy's major influences, and his death can play a major role in Luffy's character.
Oda has stated that he doesn't like to kill unless it plays an important part. Hence the deaths of Ace & Whitebeard.
It's also why I don't think Vergo & Monet are dead.

Shanks is going to war with Blackbeard and will die before Luffy can return the hat. It's such an obvious and emo future arc that I hope it's too obvious for Oda.

But soon we will probably get the year long epic saga of how Sanji single-handedly defeats Big Mom's flagship. Then we get the amazing Zo = Oz arc that everyone seems to think is set in stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom