• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

I really hope Akainu is a crazy asshole, I know it's One Piece tradition to give bad guys sad backstories, but he is one of the few characters that has barely any good aspects about his character.

I really hope Akainu is a crazy asshole, I know it's One Piece tradition to give bad guys sad backstories, but he is one of the few characters that has barely any good aspects about his character.

This is him as a kid.

Sakazuki_as_a_Child.png

He definitely has his reasons.

I don't think Akainu is ever going to be necessarily redeemed but I think there are going to be understandable reasons for what he's done. Even at Marineford I liked how he manipulated his enemies to expose weaknesses and gain ground. If he were a pirate doing that to the WG I'd be worried about his methods but happy that a character like him existed. It was his threatening of Coby, and really only that, that makes me hope he gets an ignominious end to his story.

I love Kizaru. Odds are he probably used to care but dude just seems like he's happy dressing like it's the 70's and sleepwalking his way through assignments.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Akainu has been in a couple of serious fights for a while and the emotions got the better of him during the War... Quite human, doesn't necessary make him a monster considering the Pirates he was fighting also have killed who knows how many people.

Coby was a Fodder during the War of course his focus was something different where as Akainu knew if he could take out Ace and Luffy this would be a big win for the Marines.

Oh, I forgot Akainu killed a dude for wanting to save a soldier's life. I'd call that a strike against him. I still like the subterfuge stuff though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Oh, I forgot Akainu killed a dude for wanting to save a soldier's life. I'd call that a strike against him. I still like the subterfuge stuff though.
Sacrifices for the the greater good... It happens.

xD

Akainu does what needs to be done....without him WB Pirates probably would have pulled of saving Ace and escaping Marineford with him. He was the only one ready to get his hands dirty.

cntr

Banned
He also ordered the destruction of the refugee ship during the Ohara Buster Call.

In fact, that was the very first thing we saw him do!

Sacrifices for the the greater good... It happens.

xD

Akainu does what needs to be done....without him WB Pirates probably would have pulled of saving Ace and escaping Marineford with him. He was the only one ready to get his hands dirty.

These are things I like about him as a character and I think it makes him much more effective as an antagonist. Killing your own men still goes over the line for me even given the circumstances.

He also ordered the destruction of the refugee ship during the Ohara Buster Call.

In fact, that was the very first thing we saw him do!

If--IF--he fully buys into what the WG is selling about the Oharans and the need to keep the lost century hidden then I get why he did it. It's still monstrous but it's understandable.

I tend to not bring up philosophical standpoints on video game forums, but Akainu's behaviour can certainly be analyzed and perceived in many ways. A monster to many, no doubt, but killing potential innocents just to be sure the majority of population won't be hurt in the future could be a necessary evil.

I brought this up once before in this thread and got chased with pitchforks so I'll leave it at that, lol.

hunnies28

When you guys have the time, I recommend reading this thread on Apforums about the connection between the concept of Ki and the concept of Haki in One Piece.
http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=42907

It's not really a theory thread, but it does open my eyes to the greater culture relation of Haki in Japan and how Oda incorporates this into the manga through wordplay and character intentions.
There's a theory about Buddhism references and Devil Fruits and the Straw Hats' journey that I find really fascinating.

It's a long read, but I'd say it's worth it to get a better understanding of Haki plays a bigger part in the world of One Piece.

That's a pretty long read. Interesting however.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I tend to not bring up philosophical standpoints on video game forums, but Akainu's behaviour can certainly be analyzed and perceived in many ways. A monster to many, no doubt, but killing potential innocents just to be sure the majority of population won't be hurt in the future could be a necessary evil.

I brought this up once before in this thread and got chased with pitchforks so I'll leave it at that, lol.
I agree with this 100%.

Last time you said he wasn't an asshole, which does go into the philosophical views on life.

I didn't see Akainu as nessesary evil. He just get's the job done. When you tell him to drown puppies he is going to build a giant water tank he takes with him to drown puppies wherever he is. His justice is doing just what the superiors are telling him, trusting that it's right somewhere. A soldier through and through.

Could be wrkng though. We don't know that much about him.

I always thought this was pretty accurate:

9a90aff7d9a182392b21859d815a5907.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pretty much all of the strawhats are Chaotic Good. Vivi is closer to Lawful Good.

Hell Garp is actually closer to Neutral Good.

If--IF--he fully buys into what the WG is selling about the Oharans and the need to keep the lost century hidden then I get why he did it. It's still monstrous but it's understandable.

shit i completely forgot about the lost century. I wonder when we'll learn more about it. Maybe the crew will stumble across some poneglyphs in the new world. Robin might have taught some revolutionaries how to read them too.

Also do you guys think Robin knows Sabo? She spent 2 years with the Revolutionaries right?

Luffy is more of a Neutral Good or Chaotic Good character.

I don't know why Dragon is in Chaotic Neutral. He's still a mystery.

I'd probably say Luffy is chaotic good. In this past arc he was mad as shit at Doflamingo for treating the people of Dressarosa like he did, and said it pissed him off, so he seems to have some sort of moral compass pointing towards good.

I'd actually peg Dragon as chaotic good too. He is the leader of an army fighting against the corruption of the world government after all.

dabig2

Doffy is undeniably chaotic evil. No question lol.

Definitely. His DF power speaks to his true category. We know from his backstory that he was essentially born evil. I still wonder at BB due to that drawing of him as a kid, crying alone. His story is still a mystery, but honestly he's always been way more neutral than Doffy in this story, who in comparison is Hitler. Honestly, compare both character's appearances in Mock Town.

That's part of the reason why I love Robin. She knows way more then the rest of the crew but pretty much never talks. Can't wait for them to start talking about Dragon and her go "Oh Dragon? Yeah I was in his inner circle for 2 years lol"

Also Robin knew Sabo was alive and didn't tell Luffy! It's not like Dragon and Sabo wouldn't know who was in Luffy's crew!

Oh yeah, one of my biggest complaints about Fishman Island is that we never saw the crew talk to each other about what they were doing for 2 years. Nobody was curious about how Franky turned into a giant? Or how Usopp buffed up? Or how Zoro lost that eye? I mean I guess Oda wanted to save stuff like that for huge reveals either but it's super stupid to me.

It's right before God Usopp is born. After Sabo destroys the Coliseum, I wanna say.

welp. guess that answers my question haha. I might have to go back and reread the dressarosa arc all at once to remember things like this.

That's part of the reason why I love Robin. She knows way more then the rest of the crew but pretty much never talks. Can't wait for them to start talking about Dragon and her go "Oh Dragon? Yeah I was in his inner circle for 2 years lol"

Also Robin knew Sabo was alive and didn't tell Luffy! It's not like Dragon and Sabo wouldn't know who was in Luffy's crew!

Oh yeah, one of my biggest complaints about Fishman Island is that we never saw the crew talk to each other about what they were doing for 2 years. Nobody was curious about how Franky turned into a giant? Or how Usopp buffed up? Or how Zoro lost that eye? I mean I guess Oda wanted to save stuff like that for huge reveals either but it's super stupid to me.

Idk, I don't think the crew really cares about stuff like that. They were more than happy that everyone was alive and could see each other again. The audience pretty much knows what happened (Franky doing experiments on himself, Usopp training with that bug guy, Zoro training with those monkey things.) Maybe there's more to it under the surface, but it was probably just to change up their designs to make the time skip really sink in.

Also, did Robin know that Sabo is Luffy's brother? Unless he told her I don't think there's no way she could know that. Maybe he wanted to surprise Luffy himself. There's probably a reason why he didn't reveal to Luffy that he was alive earlier.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I honestly don't think Sanji and his group actually fought Big Mom or her crew. My impression when they left is that Sanji was just planning to send some cannon fire or something along those lines to draw their attention and lead them away from Dressrosa. It never seemed like Sanji was actually planning to put up a full on battle with them

Also, Sanji is never, ever going to beat a Yonkou. Hell, I don't think Luffy will beat a Yonkou in a solo fight until Blackbeard or Shanks.
They probably started to.... and then lola appeared.

Grexeno

Lola being Big Mom's daughter is easily my most hated theory. I can't wait until it's proven to be nonsense once and for all.

Idk, I don't think the crew really cares about stuff like that. They were more than happy that everyone was alive and could see each other again. The audience pretty much knows what happened (Franky doing experiments on himself, Usopp training with that bug guy, Zoro training with those monkey things.) Maybe there's more to it under the surface, but it was probably just to change up their designs to make the time skip really sink in.

Also, did Robin know that Sabo is Luffy's brother? Unless he told her I don't think there's no way she could know that. Maybe he wanted to surprise Luffy himself. There's probably a reason why he didn't reveal to Luffy that he was alive earlier.

Sabo probably told Robin not to tell him. Or something. I probably wont be able to buy that Robin didn't even know Sabo was Luffy's bro.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

He also killed all the refugees from Ohara just to ensure that no scholar stowaways, if they existed, would survive.

Remember, it was the scholars of Ohara that were the "problem." Akainu settled for killing everyone to ensure he got the scholars.

cntr

Banned
Robin definitely knew about Sabo and Luffy. Sabo likely told her not to tell Luffy that he was alive, because he wanted to reveal it to him personally.

I think there's zero doubt that Akainu has the best of intentions and absolutely believes he's doing what he's doing to make a better world for most ordinary citizens, but that doesn't keep him from being a terrible person. Plus we know that the elder stars' reason for wanting to suppress knowledge about the blank century is outright nonsense (they aren't so concerned with preventing the creation of the ancient weapons that they'd forbid even supervised research based on what Spandam was doing) - so if Akainu knows that he's a monster, and if he doesn't know he's an idiot (which still makes him a monster for killing innocent people while working off incomplete information).

He's at least a better person than his superiors or common pirates, at least.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
D&D alignment is flawed, that's why. Dolfy is all sorts of things, he uses and abuses the law to gain and is clearly evil. But Dragon as Chaotic Neutral? CN is the insane outlook more or less. Buggy is closest to it. Dragon is closest to chaotic good from the very little we know about him. Almost all of what we'd consider the good pirates are also CG.

Nibel

Probably the only two of those I agree with are vivi and coby then it starts going way off the rails. Garp and Luffy are not good? Whitebeard is chaotic but Doffy isn't? Huh.

Luffy is somewhere between being a pirate and a hero; Garp is always between being a Marine and grandfather. I think it makes sense.

Flamingo operates on a different level than Blackbeard; BB is pretty brash and always ready to disrupt things. Flamingo dances between all groups and really belongs to none of them; he's neither doing hardcore-justice shit like Akainu or hardcore-chaos shit like BB does.

Luffy is somewhere between being a pirate and a hero; Garp is always between being a Marine and grandfather. I think it makes sense.

Flamingo operates on a different level than Blackbeard; BB is pretty brash and always ready to disrupt things. Flamingo dances between all groups and really belongs to none of them; he's neither doing hardcore-justice shit like Akainu or hardcore-chaos shit like BB does.

Being an outlaw and a hero is the basic guide description for being a chaotic good character. Being part of the law with "good" intentions is the basic description for a lawful good character. I don't really see why people need 10000 word long tvtropes articles when the basic guides for playing these characters were clear enough and they only break down when you take them too seriously.

Doffy's goal is to destroy the current order of the world and replace it with a survival of the strongest style anarchy. That is about as hardcore as chaos shit gets. Blackbeard creates chaos when it advances his goals but all we really know about him is that he wants to be strong enough to be the one who finds One Piece and start the new era.

Probably the only two of those I agree with are vivi and coby then it starts going way off the rails. Garp and Luffy are not good? Whitebeard is chaotic but Doffy isn't? Huh.

My two cents:

"Good" is relative in the OP Universe. Luffy is a pirate, and although we know he's a great guy, liberating, saving, and beating baddies, he's still a "pirate" in a world where pirates aren't good guys. Luffy himself has constantly stated he doesn't want to be a hero, even though he often ends up being one, it isn't his intention. So he is Neutral imo.

Same with Garp, Garp is lawful in regards to the One Piece universe (marine), but he isn't necessarily good either. He doesn't arrest Luffy or stop him when he wants to save Ace. He's a soft guy, but he's still a marine and has to uphold his position where he can. Again, neutral in his intentions.

Now for Whitebeard. This might seem a counter to what I just said about pirates being considered "evil", but that's because his intentions are entirely based around creating and maintaining a "family". Whitebeard doesn't care about most things regular pirates care about, even Luffy. Not One Piece, not amassing wealth, not taking territory, not defeating those around him, he just wants a family. His intentions were "good", but obviously chaotic because he was a yonkou and the "Strongest" man in the world. He had the power to maintain his intentions, just like when he tore up Marineford to save Ace.

Doffy is a little trickier. He's a grade-A badass and you can't really say he wasn't chaotic, but the definition here is different. Basically the difference between the two is how they go about realizing their goals. Doflamingo not only throws down and flat out destroys shit when he needs to, but Dressrossa is proof that he preferred a deep and manipulative system in order to exploit and torment the citizens of Dressrossa. There was nothing chaotic about his reign over the Kingdom. The toys' past lives were forgotten and people lived in peace. Hence, Doflamingo is neutral because he is indifferent to Order and Chaos. Hence the quote in the image, and him using both Order (the toys to keep people in line and the laws encoded into them through Sugar) and Chaos (Birdcage) to fulfill his goals.

In comparison, we know no such level of thought from Blackbeard, who has no regard for order or maintaining a system of laws at all.

The combination of the complete lack of evidence to support it plus most people treating it as fact for some reason.

The only evidence towards that theory are minor details, like
-Big Mom and Lola both having pink hair,
-Lola referring to her mother as "Mama" which is what Tamago and Pekoms call BM
-Lola's mom being a famous New World pirate.

I don't think it's a fact, but there are some hints that it might be the cause. Or it could be a total red herring.

i know who big mom is

436359891_640.jpg

The chapter that tea guy and big mom were revelead Spirited Away was precisely the first thing to come to my mind. Kamaji and this witch that i forgot the name seem to be inspiration for their design, at least from my perspective. The moment i finished reading the chapter i made this connection. Great minds think alike :p

Grexeno

The chapter that tea guy and big mom were revelead Spirited Away was precisely the first thing to come to my mind. Kamaji and this witch that i forgot the name seem to be inspiration for their design, at least from my perspective. The moment i finished reading the chapter i made this connection. Great minds think alike :p
Funnily enough, one of the main theories about Big Mom is that she has a magic Devil Fruit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom