• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may not happen exactly after this arc but it's hard to imagine an outcome that doesn't end with them being abolished. That entire organization is backstabbers and people using the position for power plays, save for Mihawk who doesn't care and Kuma who is a dead WG robot

Grexeno

It may not happen exactly after this arc but it's hard to imagine an outcome that doesn't end with them being abolished. That entire organization is backstabbers and people using the position for power plays.
Easy. The World Government is like "we'll talk about reform and abolishment at the Reverie" which is probably going to be the final arc anyway. Bam. The Warlords last the rest of the series.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Law and Luffy's bounty are going to skyrocket.

I expect them to drop the Bounty system for Luffy and Co. and introduce a new incentive for people to go after Strawhats.
burgess is going to end up with a top tier fruit and that will put him back in contention.

BB probably thought burgess could take down diamante and hell i believe so too. don't think he ever thought the revolutionary's army number 2 or luffy would be there.

Why would that happen though ? This doesnt fit into OPs power structure at all - people just getting on a different power level because they snatch strong fruit. There are exceptions like with Blackbeard himself or now Sabo getting Ace fruits...but these guys were very strong and dangerous before and more or less deserved these upgrades.

Getting one of the Top fruits in OP means you are able to take out/kill the current fruit holders and Oda doesnt kill many characters especially not established powerful ones. Burgess might get a fruit down the line if all other BB members use stolen fruits, but i dont think it will put him on a different power level.

Shanks for example - he wouldnt be stronger if he ate a rare fruit, he isnt getting weaker by loosing an arm. Garp and Rayleigh arent active and getting older - they still wont lose much of their power because Oda doesnt screw around with those levels.

Explosive power-ups are more or less reserved for the Strawhats and plot-no jutsu.

Dugna

It's hard to think of a group outside of Whitebeard and the Revolutionary army who has done as much damage to the WG as the Strawhats. They have defeated several Warlords displaced tons of power structures aided in basically the collapse of the marine headquarters by doing 2/3 the job 1/3 being just the captain basically.

Like for how small the crew is number wise they are just stupidly powerful.

cw_sasuke

Man i hope we get to see Mr. 2 again soon....dude went out like BOSS.

#theherowedeserve

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I wonder what they think these super-high bounties are accomplishing. "Hey raise Straw Hat from 400k to 500k" like there were bounty hunters out there thinkin "nah 400k isn't enough, but 500..."

All they're doing is making people more afraid of them or impressed by them. Past a certain point these bounties function opposite of their intended effect.

That said, it might be neat to see an actual concentrated plot thread revolving around people chasing Luffy's bounty. Maybe there are some big-name bounty hunters who can actually take down pirates of that rank that we don't know about.

I wonder what they think these super-high bounties are accomplishing. "Hey raise Straw Hat from 400k to 500k" like there were bounty hunters out there thinkin "nah 400k isn't enough, but 500..."

All they're doing is making people more afraid of them or impressed by them. Past a certain point these bounties function opposite of their intended effect.

That said, it might be neat to see an actual concentrated plot thread revolving around people chasing Luffy's bounty. Maybe there are some big-name bounty hunters who can actually take down pirates of that rank that we don't know about.

Yeah, from what we've seen of Bounty Hunters none would have the ability to tackle any bounties above like, 10 million. Except for Zoro, but he isn't a bounty hunter anymore. Maybe there's some big leaguers in the New World, all those level 6 prisoners got into Impel Down somehow.

Edit: Well, that's not true. Franky was a bounty hunter and there were a few in the Colosseum. Still, any of those guys taking on the highest bounties like Ace's 550m is laughable

cw_sasuke

I dont know man - would be kinda weird to unveil them so late into the game when we never heard any of the Top Pirates being caught by Bounty Hounters. Thats exactly why BB capturing Ace and delivering him to the Marine/WG was such a big deal...Yonkous and their crews are more or less untouchable, unless you have a death wish.

Pirates at this point aim to be Pirate Kings and rule the Grandline....doing dirty work for the WG for money reasons seems stupid. As said...there has to be another incentive, but dont really know what they offer them lol.

Nightbird

All this talk about Bounty Hunters make think if Oda is not going to introduce some crazy strong one someday. I do even think that the current Situation would be perfect. Ambush the weaker Straw Hats on the Ship and use them to lure Luffy & Co. Into a trap.

Lunar15

Remember that the World Government has authority over the Warlords, not the Marines

Is this true? Every time the Warlords are called in, it's by the Marine heads, not the World Government. Either way, there's no way that it's been at all beneficial to have the Sichibukai at this point. Even when they performed their main duty, which was to be at the War against Whitebeard, one defected, one helped the main perpetrator escape, and an old one showed up to fight the marines.

cw_sasuke

Marine is just the executive force of the WG anyway...so they call the shots at the end.

I also think Akainu will eventually secede from the WG making the Marines the one true power that doesn't have to be held back by corrupt politicians because that seems like something he would do.

But that kind of relies on the Gorosei and we don't know much about them.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
All this talk about Bounty Hunters make think if Oda is not going to introduce some crazy strong one someday. I do even think that the current Situation would be perfect. Ambush the weaker Straw Hats on the Ship and use them to lure Luffy & Co. Into a trap.

Sounds like anime filler.

Is this true? Every time the Warlords are called in, it's by the Marine heads, not the World Government. Either way, there's no way that it's been at all beneficial to have the Sichibukai at this point. Even when they performed their main duty, which was to be at the War against Whitebeard, one defected, one helped the main perpetrator escape, and an old one showed up to fight the marines.

I think it's more of a low-level deterrent than high-level. A bunch of fledgling pirates run into the Shichibukai and they run with their tails between their legs, preventing them from evolving into high tier pirates. Seems like it would be the most logical way of looking at it. Otherwise, like you said, totally not worth the investment.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I know everyone keeps going on about Sanji coming back, but personally I'm looking forward more to Brook's return.
It's been too long since my eyes read one of his Skull Jokes. Oh, except I don't have any eyes. YOHOHOHOHO!

Also, judging by the cover page, I get the feeling the Tontatta Dwarves are much more popular in Japan.

Man i hope we get to see Mr. 2 again soon....dude went out like BOSS.

#theherowedeserve

he seemed pretty happy as the leader/host of that hideout in Impel Down

but I'd love to see him come back. great character.

Law and Luffy's bounty are going to skyrocket.

I think Fujitora will make the case for the abolishment of the Shichibukai, and Akainu and Kizaru will listen since they don't seem to be too fond of it either. Which means Law's bounty will go up way higher, and Hancock will no longer have anything holding her back on supporting Luffy. Doflamingo and Law are out.

I also didn't expect for Sabo to beat Burgess off screen (which is lame) so I guess he is stronger then I thought.

Sabo was reestablished as a pretty strong character when he's introduced as the second in command/chief of staff of the RA. I'm not surprised he was able to take out a pirate with no notable feats that we know about.

you guys think the rest of the 11 supernovas will reappear at some point? I'm interested to see what the rest of the worst generation is up to.

Dugna

I also think Akainu will eventually secede from the WG making the Marines the one true power that doesn't have to be held back by corrupt politicians because that seems like something he would do.

Gorosei have to be like stupidly strong to able to even control people like Akainu, I wish we would see some kind of combat done by them for once....

you guys think the rest of the 11 supernovas will reappear at some point? I'm interested to see what the rest of the worst generation is up to.

Yes, they were set up as the next generation of pirates, they will be crucial to the plot. Kidd, Killer, Apoo and Hawkins will probably tussle with Law, Zoro and Luffy over a Yonkou position. Or not, Kidd seems to be aiming for Big Mom and Luffy seems to be aiming for Kaidou. Still, it's not like Luffy and Big Mom are on good terms anyway.

Urouge went to some lightning island. Him being from a Sky Island going to a lightning island has an obvious outcome but I'm not sure Enel is involved.

Drake seems to have sided with Kaidou, for now. Whether it's to get in close so he can backstab him or it's genuine who knows.

Who the hell knows what happened to Capone. He floated up into some kind of thing in the sky and we haven't seen or heard of him since. Again, Enel maybe?

Bonney is important, somehow. She knows something, is related to someone, they want her power or whatever - Akainu was worried when she got away from whoever.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I know everyone keeps going on about Sanji coming back, but personally I'm looking forward more to Brook's return.
It's been too long since my eyes read one of his Skull Jokes. Oh, except I don't have any eyes. YOHOHOHOHO!

Also, judging by the cover page, I get the feeling the Tontatta Dwarves are much more popular in Japan.

I can't wait to hear another skull joke, its been too long. Oh wait, I don't have any ears! YOHOHOHOHOHOHO!

360pages

Oda said he would have liked to see the Z movie be canon, but he didn't want to confuse the Manga readers. Which I say fuck them, if a movie is coming out promoting something and the creator says it's canon then they watch it or let them be lost.

That shit is the reason why we have to sit though a retread of Battle of Gods in Dragon Ball Super.

Oda said he would have liked to see the Z movie be canon, but he didn't want to confuse the Manga readers. Which I say fuck them, if a movie is coming out promoting something and the creator says it's canon then they watch it or let them be lost.

That shit is the reason why we have to sit though a retread of Battle of Gods in Dragon Ball Super.

Z is kinda Canon. The character of Z himself is Canon but luffy defeating him is not. I imagine those exploding islands and stuff like that is not Canon but things like Aokijis timeskip design were.

Did he cut off his arm while being a Warlord, or is it more that he became a Warlord much later?

He became one later.

Yes, they were set up as the next generation of pirates, they will be crucial to the plot. Kidd, Killer, Apoo and Hawkins will probably tussle with Law, Zoro and Luffy over a Yonkou position. Or not, Kidd seems to be aiming for Big Mom and Luffy seems to be aiming for Kaidou. Still, it's not like Luffy and Big Mom are on good terms anyway.

Urouge went to some lightning island. Him being from a Sky Island going to a lightning island has an obvious outcome but I'm not sure Enel is involved.

Drake seems to have sided with Kaidou, for now. Whether it's to get in close so he can backstab him or it's genuine who knows.

Who the hell knows what happened to Capone. He floated up into some kind of thing in the sky and we haven't seen or heard of him since. Again, Enel maybe?

Bonney is important, somehow. She knows something, is related to someone, they want her power or whatever - Akainu was worried when she got away from whoever.

It'd be interesting to see Enel come back, and see what he can do these days. Maybe join a pirate crew.

Bonney was captured by the World Government for some reason, and managed to escape or was released for some reason. They show her at the beginning of the Dressarosa arc briefly. I imagine the WG might have wanted to take her fruit power. Manipulating age might be able to make you immortal.

I remember during Punk Hazard Kidd and one or two of the other pirates were shown very very briefly, but we never got an explanation why. I think they might be involved with Kaidou too, or are maybe planning to attack him.

I feel with the Dressarosa arc over, Doflamingo defeated, and Kaidou and Big Mom angered by Luffy's actions, the second half of One Piece is only truly beginning now.

Grexeno

I remember during Punk Hazard Kidd and one or two of the other pirates were shown very very briefly, but we never got an explanation why. I think they might be involved with Kaidou too, or are maybe planning to attack him.
Kidd, Apoo, and Hawkins formed an alliance to take down one of the Four Emperors, most likely Shanks.

I want to know how Kidd and Killer got those scars. They must have gotten into some hardcore fights.

Eustass_Kid_Manga_Pre_Timeskip_Infobox.png
Killer_Manga_Pre_Timeskip_Infobox.png

Killer hulked the fuck out over the Timeskip as well

When you guys have the time, I recommend reading this thread on Apforums about the connection between the concept of Ki and the concept of Haki in One Piece.
http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=42907

It's not really a theory thread, but it does open my eyes to the greater culture relation of Haki in Japan and how Oda incorporates this into the manga through wordplay and character intentions.
There's a theory about Buddhism references and Devil Fruits and the Straw Hats' journey that I find really fascinating.

It's a long read, but I'd say it's worth it to get a better understanding of Haki plays a bigger part in the world of One Piece.

Akainu is not going bring down anything , in may ways he is crazy .
The marines like coby , smoker etc are who going to change the system.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
When you guys have the time, I recommend reading this thread on Apforums about the connection between the concept of Ki and the concept of Haki in One Piece.
http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=42907

It's not really a theory thread, but it does open my eyes to the greater culture relation of Haki in Japan and how Oda incorporates this into the manga through wordplay and character intentions.
There's a theory about Buddhism references and Devil Fruits and the Straw Hats' journey that I find really fascinating.

It's a long read, but I'd say it's worth it to get a better understanding of Haki plays a bigger part in the world of One Piece.

That's some pretty good stuff
It makes sense how many of the stranger moves are Haki-based. It's not just Observation, Armament and Conqueror, but rather branched from those. Willpower, the drive to win.

The world nobles are not shown as having any combat strength and don't seem to have any political power over people other than being hated. So it would seem obvious that the marines should just ditch them. But they have their "national treasure" or whatever else so there are reasons for the marines not just abandoning them because of differences of opinion.

I think that it's Akainu's personality to go to extreme and unreasonable lengths to maintain the current order. So if the marines split from the nobles I think it would be more due to someone outside revealing their secrets. Maybe even Fujitora since he seems more dangerous now.

Squishy3

The nobles are literally inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, it's the Gorosei and CP0 that are probably the heavy-hitters as far as the WG goes. Like, CP9 was ridiculously strong so CP0 has to have some OP bullshit (excluding that guy Franky fought on the train, he was a jobber) There's also Kong, who was the fleet admiral before Sengoku and is the WG Commander-in-Chief.

Still hoping we actually get to see CP9 in the story again sometime since they're still around.

Dugna

The nobles are literally inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, it's the Gorosei and CP0 that are probably the heavy-hitters as far as the WG goes. Like, CP9 was ridiculously strong so CP0 has to have some OP bullshit (excluding that guy Franky fought on the train, he was a jobber) There's also Kong, who was the fleet admiral before Sengoku and is the WG Commander-in-Chief.

Still hoping we actually get to see CP9 in the story again sometime since they're still around.

But Nero that Franky fought wasn't part of any CP group till he started in training for CP9.

Taborcarn

The World Nobles may not be physically powerful, but they're politically powerful.

I could liken them to Kim-Jong Un: he may not be bench pressing a lot, but he's crazy as shit, has a ton of people who follow him out of fear, and is possibly holding nukes or other unknown weapons of mass destruction. That makes him pretty dangerous.

Honestly I'd rather not see cp9 come back in any villainous capacity. They were really cool in the enies lobby arc, but there are much more interesting Villains who remain to be seen and I'd prefer if oda focused on them. Not to mention the fact that the straw hats have made their own and improved upon the riku shining, so I'm not sure how they'd manage to match up. If cp9 had defected from the WG and came to help Luffy I think that would be kind of cool.

Kidd, Apoo, and Hawkins formed an alliance to take down one of the Four Emperors, most likely Shanks.

Yeah I remember now. Interested to see where that's headed.

I don't believe Akainu would betray his superiors in the world government. He was introduced going out of his way to break military protocol in order to protect their interests, so there's no indication he's interested in fighting corruption.

demidar

I thought Akainu--being fleet commander--had the final say on who becomes an Admiral, so it's a bit weird for him to approve Fujitora (unless I got those responsibilities wrong).

cw_sasuke

I think we haven't seen the powerful WG forces yet they likely won't show up or be u veiled before the Clash with Dragon and the Revolutionary Army.

Chariot

I didn't see Akainu as nessesary evil. He just get's the job done. When you tell him to drown puppies he is going to build a giant water tank he takes with him to drown puppies wherever he is. His justice is doing just what the superiors are telling him, trusting that it's right somewhere. A soldier through and through.

Could be wrkng though. We don't know that much about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom