• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
TANGENT

I bet ya that Gorosei with the sword is Mihawk's master or somethin. Gotta be some reason Mihawk is such a doting and obedient Shichibukai, and if the Gorosei are all the badasses we kinda assume they are, there's probably only one way a swordsman member would be stronger than the "greatest swordsman in the world."

Lunar15

I love how they're referencing all the similarities between this event and Alabasta. That event was so fucked up that it seems cathartic to see some kind of redemption for Smoker and other marines who hate the Sichibukai.

That said, I don't think the Sichibukai are done for. I think the Gorosei and the Celestial Dragons have more aces up their sleeve to control communication. I think a lot of damage is done at this point and it will probably strengthen the ranks of the Revolutionaries, but I also have a feeling CP-0 will take some action based on today's events to protect the image of the government, perhaps even throwing the marines under the bus.

I love how they're referencing all the similarities between this event and Alabasta. That event was so fucked up that it seems cathartic to see some kind of redemption for Smoker and other marines who hate the Sichibukai.

That said, I don't think the Sichibukai are done for. I think the Gorosei and the Celestial Dragons have more aces up their sleeve to control communication. I think a lot of damage is done at this point and it will probably strengthen the ranks of the Revolutionaries, but I also have a feeling CP-0 will take some action based on today's events to protect the image of the government, perhaps even throwing the marines under the bus.

Given that Fujitora talked about Reverie when he first stated his goal, I'm pretty sure the plan is to get the other world leaders so against the system that they put enough pressure on the WG to make them cave on the issue

Lunar15

Given that Fujitora talked about Reverie when he first stated his goal, I'm pretty sure the plan is to get the other world leaders so against the system that they put enough pressure on the WG to make them cave on the issue

Yeah, that's his plan, and it may work, but I also don't expect the World Government to go down without a fight. Doflamingo and the Celestial Dragons were able to publish news to the world that he stepped down and then completely negate that that ever happened.

I'm practically begging for Revarie at this point. This a brilliant time to bring back Vivi because now she can speak up about what happened at Alabasta. Before Dressrosa, none of the other world leaders would have believed her. Now she has a solid case. She's relevant to everything that's happening.

Nocebo

Oh snap, Fujitora! Pretty awesome chapter, learning all bout the effect Doffy's beat down from Luffy and Law in the whole world. Akainu looks better with the beard and always funny to see Den Den mushis having the same face as their callers. Why are the other worst gen alliance going after Shanks? Also, why does Doffy go under the name Joker, now that I think about it.
Didn't he go under the name Joker to disassociate himself from all the illegal stuff he was doing? Like the smile business. I guess pretty much everything he does is shady and illegal on some level. But I think he wanted to keep up a front of some sort.

Chariot

Whew. Marines get really shaky. I also like Akainu here. He is an asshole, but he has his principles. He stands really just for his own kind of justice, which is more interesting than just a lackey.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
GOD DAMN FUJITORA
griffins_balls_of_steel.jpg

Veelk

Banned
The concept of honor that some characters have in this manga confuses me.

"All that shit Doflamingo did? Well, even though I personally never agreed to the Shichibukai, since I'm part of the marines, I consider myself responsible for everything he did here.

And since I'm so responsible for Doflamingo's rampage, that is the reason I couldn't lift a finger to stop his bird cage. This was a pirate's victory and it had to be, because it goes against my honor to clean up messes I am responsible for."

"Oh fujitora....you could have saved hundreds of lives and 97% of my kingdom from being reduced to ruin. But you didn't, because it'd besmirch your honor to do so! Thank you!"

If I were Riku, I'd almost be as furious with him as with Doflamingo. Atleast Doffy has the decency to slaughter people and inflict pain out of an honest sense of greed, wrath and sadism. Hearing this dude saying he let all this happen because it was the morally right thing to do would push me over the edge.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Which is making me think....
Fujitora vs CP-0?

PwWnPdn.gif

From the last page I'm taking it that fujitora won't go after them

Squishy3

I guess we are indeed getting party time since they need to wait until Fujitora leaves. (since Fujitora is kind of honorable and probably won't immediately "go after" them right away after the events on Dressrosa) Need a boat too. :p

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
"Oh fujitora....you could have saved hundreds of lives and 97% of my kingdom from being reduced to ruin. But you didn't, because it'd besmirch your honor to do so! Thank you!"

To be fair, Fujitora indeed had his marines trying to save as many people as possible from the parasite string antics.

The concept of honor that some characters have in this manga confuses me.

"All that shit Doflamingo did? Well, even though I personally never agreed to the Shichibukai, since I'm part of the marines, I consider myself responsible for everything he did here.

And since I'm so responsible for Doflamingo's rampage, that is the reason I couldn't lift a finger to stop his bird cage. This was a pirate's victory and it had to be, because it goes against my honor to clean up messes I am responsible for."

If I were Riku, I'd almost be as furious with him as with Doflamingo. Atleast Doffy has the decency to slaughter people and inflict pain out of an honest sense of greed, wrath and sadism. Hearing this dude saying he let all this happen because it was the morally right thing to do would push me over the edge.

It has nothing to do with honor really .
Fuji wants to get rid of the warlords system which is why he hardly did anything .
It's the reason why the country was in that problem in the first place .
He made sure to show the world how broken it was .
While also making sure the marines got no credit for taking down don or not able to cover it up the events .

BASED FUJITORA GOD DAMN

I doubt he'll really go after the straw hats

so we learned a lot this chapter actually.

-what the rest of the supernovas are doing
-Kidd, Apoo and Hawkins are going after Shanks. If they actually manage to do some damage we know Luffy will come after them.
-X-Drake is really with Kaido
-Capone is with Big Mom??
-Someone came to visit Urouge (Enel??)
-The others are off doing their own thing
-KUZAN IS WITH BLACKBEARD WHAT? Think he's pulling a double agent thing? I doubt Blackbeard trusts him, and vice versa, so who knows whats going on there.
-Someone is more powerful than the Gorosei (tenryubito forces?)

also nice to see the Gorosei again. loved it when they shat on Akainu lol. I wonder if we'll find out what CP 0 really did on Dressarosa though.

Oda just keeps hyping me uppppp

Veelk

Banned
It has nothing to do with honor really .
Fuji wants to get rid of the warlords system which is why he hardly did anything .
It's the reason why the country was in that problem in the first place .
He made sure to show the world how broken it was .
While also making sure the marines got no credit for taking down don or not able to cover it up the events .

That....still makes him more of a bastard than anyone in the manga is acknowledging. If what you say is accurate, he willingly sacrificed the entire kingdom and many of its people, letting Doflamingo play out in the most harmful way possible as a move to push his own agenda. Like I said, if I were Riku, I'd be frothing at the mouth with rage.

Even if you agree that allowing the slaughter of so many people is a worthy cost to fight back against some system, he could have gamed it himself my initiating his own cover up. Just slap Doflamingo's shit, or atleast work with the strawhats in secret or whatever, and then give them all the credit. The SH won't care and the conflict will end much quicker and much less death.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Oh man, that chapter.... so good.

Looking like the marines might end up dividing themselves between the WG and the revolutionary army. The only people that seem to absolutely be a part of the WG are the gorosei, cipher Pol, the celestial dragons, and akainu..

Aokiji is with Blackbeard? What's he planning? Is he an undercover Rev Army operative, or does he have his own agenda?

Kidd is going to kill shanks isn't he?

Oh man, that chapter.... so good.

Looking like the marines might end up dividing themselves between the WG and the revolutionary army. The only people that seem to absolutely be a part of the WG are the gorosei, cipher Pol, the celestial dragons, and akainu..

Aokiji is with Blackbeard? What's he planning? Is he an undercover Rev Army operative, or does he have his own agenda?

Kidd is going to kill shanks isn't he?

Why are people acting like this is news? We've known this for a while since Burgess talked to BB during the colusseum stuff

That....still makes him more of a bastard than anyone in the manga is acknowledging. If what you say is accurate, he willingly sacrificed the entire kingdom and many of its people, letting Doflamingo play out in the most harmful way possible as a move to push his own agenda. Like I said, if I were Riku, I'd be frothing at the mouth with rage.

Even if you agree that allowing the slaughter of so many people is a worthy cost to fight back against some system, he could have gamed it himself my initiating his own cover up. Just slap Doflamingo's shit, or atleast work with the strawhats in secret or whatever, and then give them all the credit. The SH won't care and the conflict will end much quicker and much less death.

There was a reason why he said it was a gamble .
Plus no one die so his gamble paid off .
Akainu would have made the marines come out looking good which is what fuji did not want to happen .

I think it's really strange that Kuma would allow the WG to experiment on him and basically turn him into their slave, and model all these pacifista off of him. Do you guys think it might be some greater plan of Dragon's?

Speaking of Dragon, I wonder what his reaction is to all this...I actually think it would be really cool if Fujitora joined the Revolutionaries.

I assume that they'll be a more prominent force in the manga now that Sabo has been re-revealed and all.

It seems that every senior marine knew about the situation on Dressrosa and just stayed away. In fact Fujitora was the only one willing to do anything at all. Remember that the marines were not told that it was a trick when Doffy left the warlords. Fujitora went there before he got his protection back but was presented with a "bait and switch" where he was told to arrest Law instead of Doffy.

I think that Fujitora was furious the whole time about being manipulated. So in this chapter we see the difference between the anger of a tiger and the anger of a dog.

If Riku raged at Fujitora as if he was the mastermind behind the state of Dressrosa it would be pretty low. The marines saved a lot of people under his orders.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

It's been only a few years since the Alabasta incident. How many countries and incidents like dressrosa and alabasta have there been with the government creating or abiding oppression? How many cases of the WG claiming glory for itself like in Alabasta? How many cases like with Tom's workers and the straw hats in water 7 where cipher Pol and the government attack civilians and blame it on someone else? How many cases like ennies lobby where the government burns
down an island and blames it on pirates? How many cases like marineford where the WG convinces the masses that a pirate will sell out his own allies? How many Oharas get too close to the sun and are destroyed?

The WG as an institution has been spinning the truth and deceiving the public for centuries, the best way to expose it is to broadcast it to the world, not by giving it a shred of credibility that it will spin into complete moral righteousness to the masses.

Kreed

Yeah, killing Shanks is Final villain type stuff. I think Shanks will be kille dby the end of the series, but it'll be Blackbeard who does it. No chance in hell does Kid do it

I could definitely see a scenario playing out where Kid and his gang inadvertently lead Shanks to his downfall/death (ex: Kid and his crew weaken Shank's crew, allowing Blackbeard to swoop in and finish the job)

Harmen

Are there other CP's between 0-9? Wondering how they compare to the navy in terms of power.

Which is making me think....
Fujitora vs CP-0?

PwWnPdn.gif

From the last page I'm taking it that fujitora won't go after them

Yeah. I am betting CP0 is still in the vicinity. And Big Mom is there as well (and probably friendly with Sanji & co in this instance. And with Capone who is also friendly?).

I am betting on the following:

If Fujitora does go after the pirate alliance then the revolutionaries and/or Big Mom will ensure Luffy/Law escaping. And if he does not, CP will return and take matters into their hands. Or insanity and all the factions will stage their escape (Fuji/CP vs Mom/Rev). I think Kaidou is not nearby (Wano?).

Whatever happens, I don't think the Straw Hats will be able to sneak out of here quietly.

Veelk

Banned
There was a reason why he said it was a gamble .
Plus no one die so his gamble paid off .
Akainu would have made the marines come out looking good which is what fuji did not want to happen .

First off, you're saying that no one died as a result of bird cage? They all got out of the way? I find that...unlikely. Or atleast symptomatic of a problem with OP as a manga in how it portrays the effects of violence, but that's another topic.

Still, you're really not making him look like any less of a tool. "Oh, don't worry, I was only willing to risk all your lives on a coin flip. Lucky it turned out the way it did, or else you'd all be dead, hahaha."

It seems that every senior marine knew about the situation on Dressrosa and just stayed away. In fact Fujitora was the only one willing to do anything at all. Remember that the marines were not told that it was a trick when Doffy left the warlords. Fujitora went there before he got his protection back but was presented with a "bait and switch" where he was told to arrest Law instead of Doffy.

I think that Fujitora was furious the whole time about being manipulated. So in this chapter we see the difference between the anger of a tiger and the anger of a dog.

If Riku raged at Fujitora as if he was the mastermind behind the state of Dressrosa it would be pretty low. The marines saved a lot of people under his orders.

It still doesn't change that Fujitora played along and allowed the people of his kingdom to die, or risk dying. It's weak logic that because Fujitora was manipulated into taking a detour and had his desired target (Doflamingo) snatched out from under him, that justifies him playing hot potato with thousands of innocent lives.

It's been only a few years since the Alabasta incident. How many countries and incidents like dressrosa and alabasta have there been with the government creating or abiding oppression? How many cases of the WG claiming glory for itself like in Alabasta? How many cases like with Tom's workers and the straw hats in water 7 where cipher Pol and the government attack civilians and blame it on someone else? How many cases like ennies lobby where the government burns
down an island and blames it on pirates? How many cases like marineford where the WG convinces the masses that a pirate will sell out his own allies? How many Oharas get too close to the sun and are destroyed?

The WG as an institution has been spinning the truth and deceiving the public for centuries, the best way to expose it is to broadcast it to the world, not by giving it a shred of credibility that it will spin into complete moral righteousness to the masses.

I think you're projecting a bit. Fujitora only wants to eliminate the warlords. He said nothing about that other stuff. Though I don't doubt that he would disagree with it, he's only actively against the warlords and has not made any statement on the other atrocities the WG has committed. Hell, he might not even be that against it, since he's apparently okay with putting thousands of people at risk for an agenda, as long as it's on the government terms.

But I think all of you are missing my point. I'm not arguing that the Warlords are a shitty system and Fujitora is right to want to abolish it.

I'm just pointing out that, in the best case scenerio of this situation, he was willing to allow thousands of people to be slaughtered for that agenda. If King Riku understands this, I don't find his reaction at all believable if he cares about his people. He'd agree, the Warlords have to go. But I don't think he'd consent to having his people slaughtered in order to make that happen. As a king who cares about his people, he ought to be furious at such callous endangerment of his people for his political gains, even if he agrees with the goal of those gains.

Are there other CP's between 0-9? Wondering how they compare to the navy in terms of power.

Yeah. I am betting CP0 is still in the vicinity. And Big Mom is there as well (and probably friendly with Sanji & co in this instance. And with Capone who is also friendly?).

I am betting on the following:

If Fujitora does go after the pirate alliance then the revolutionaries and/or Big Mom will ensure Luffy/Law escaping. And if he does not, CP will return and take matters into their hands. Or insanity and all the factions will stage their escape (Fuji/CP vs Mom/Rev). I think Kaidou is not nearby (Wano?).

Whatever happens, I don't think the Straw Hats will be able to sneak out of here quietly.
yeah. The others aren't even secrets. They're the world government's intelligence agency

Lunar15

Careful there Oda, the strawhats are starting to become the least interesting part of One Piece.

I agree with this. We need some kind of character development within the crew. Water 7/Enies Lobby was great because it expanded the world while also challenging the internal structure of the strawhats.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm just pointing out that, in the best case scenerio of this situation, he was willing to allow thousands of people to be slaughtered for that agenda. If King Riku understands this, I don't find his reaction at all believable if he cares about his people. He'd agree, the Warlords have to go. But I don't think he'd consent to having his people slaughtered in order to make that happen. As a king who cares about his people, he ought to be furious at such callous endangerment of his people for his political gains, even if he agrees with the goal of those gains.

Riku was also just sitting on the top of that building instead of rushing after Doflamingo. Like Fujitora, his priority was in the direct defense of his people, and he decided to leave Doffy to Luffy. I think he understands Fujitora's mentality.

And really, from Riku's point of view, it's not a matter of "god damn it Fujitora why aren't you stopping Doflamingo." It's more "wow Fujitora, thanks for not killing my people along WITH Doflamingo." Technically, Fujitora and Doflamingo are on the same side. They worked together earlier in the arc. Even passive disobedience to this contract is better than the alternative.

Who is on the boat with Vice Admiral Tsuru and are they heading to Dressrosa? Tsuru was in charge of chasing Doflamingo in the flashbacks so they are probably on the way there.

It still doesn't change that Fujitora played along and allowed the people of his kingdom to die, or risk dying. It's weak logic that because Fujitora was manipulated into taking a detour and had his desired target (Doflamingo) snatched out from under him, that justifies him playing hot potato with thousands of innocent lives.

This assumes that Fujitora is so strong that he could have beaten all the Doflamingo family, strawhats, and everyone else on island without endangering any civilians.

Veelk

Banned
Riku was also just sitting on the top of that building instead of rushing after Doflamingo. Like Fujitora, his priority was in the direct defense of his people, and he decided to leave Doffy to Luffy. I think he understands Fujitora's mentality.

And really, from Riku's point of view, it's not a matter of "god damn it Fujitora why aren't you stopping Doflamingo." It's more "wow Fujitora, thanks for not killing my people along WITH Doflamingo." Technically, Fujitora and Doflamingo are on the same side. They worked together earlier in the arc. Even passive disobedience to this contract is better than the alternative.

Riku left Doflamingo to Luffy because Doflamingo is a superpower that only a few individuals can touch. That doesn't apply to Fujitora, who is clearly in Doffy's league. Hell, he's the only one who might be potentially stronger than him.

Anyway, the imagery in this chapter seems to convey that Riku genuinely respects what Fujitora did here. Even if your interpretation is true, I really don't see why Riku is not all "Whatever, just get the fuck out of my city". They're on the same side in the sense that they both thought Doflamingo should go and they don't really want to see the civilians die, but Fujitora was clearly willing to let it happen, which should cause some friction between them.

This assumes that Fujitora is so strong that he could have beaten all the Doflamingo family, strawhats, and everyone else on island without endangering any civilians.
....no, it doesn't. First off, the straw hats had worked with marines before and would probably be open to operating with Fujitora on the sly if he asked. Second, I'm not saying go after the doflamingo immediately. If his goal is to expose the brutality of the warlord system, then let him go until he initiates birdcage. At that point, Doffy is fucking over the entire kingdom with marines on it. That's enough evidence to depict his corruption, and the other strawhats are fighting the doffy family. Law, Luffy, and Fujitora could have triple teamed doffy for the easy win, dissipating birdcage with minimal collateral

Honestly, the biggest problem here would be doing it without being recognized. But the strawhats infultrated the place by wearing fake mustaches, so it's not like it's that big an obstacle

First off, you're saying that no one died as a result of bird cage? They all got out of the way? I find that...unlikely. Or atleast symptomatic of a problem with OP as a manga in how it portrays the effects of violence, but that's another topic.

Still, you're really not making him look like any less of a tool. "Oh, don't worry, I was only willing to risk all your lives on a coin flip. Lucky it turned out the way it did, or else you'd all be dead, hahaha."

Did you miss all those chapter with Oda showing you people escaping from the bird cage.
We had chapters\panels of marines helping people , citizens helping each other , people getting heal , people pushing the cage, people running.
Yeah no one die from a cage that was going to take 40 plus mins before people start dying because there is no where to go .

That is under the assumption that fuji would have not taken out don if it really came down to it .

Probably Garp because they mention cracker thing he eats. The fake out would probably be Coby.

The character is referred to as "Inspector", right? There's only one known right now and that's Sengoku. How many people are in high enough positions to give orders to Tsuru on her own ship?

It may still be Garp though.

Lunar15

Yes, Fujitora put the entire nation at risk. He admits to it and profusely apologizes, sacrificing the face of the marines in the process. I don't think Oda danced around the issue at all, it's directly touched upon.

Fujitora is the walking embodiment of "blind justice". He won't let his own actions or the actions of the government change way the outcome is presented. He finds that the sichibukai system is completely unjust and therefore practices complete neutrality in order to prove his point, making sure that the world sees exactly what happened. Oda is not subtle about this, it's tied to his very character traits.

His world view lines up with his actions completely.

Probably Garp because they mention cracker thing he eats. The fake out would probably be Coby.

Why wouldn't he draw Garp's ship with the dog figurehead. It would still be obvious who is talking in the anime from the voice acting I guess. But talking about orders and the title inspector makes it sound more like she was talking to Sengoku but Garp is also probably an old enough friend to call her Tsuru-chan.

Veelk

Banned
Did you miss all those chapter with Oda showing you people escaping from the bird cage.
We had chapters\panels of marines helping people , citizens helping each other , people getting heal , people pushing the cage, people running.
Yeah no one die from a cage that was going to take 40 plus mins before people start dying because there no where to go .

That is under the assumption that fuji would have not taken out don if it really came down to it .

By that logic, any major event had barely any people dying, since we didn't see it happen. Even the Marineford war didn't have that many. Just people lying on the ground and bleeding, but we've seen plenty of characters do that only to get up later. People not dying is a fair interpretation, but it brings up a host of new issues. I assumed most fans interpret the series that plenty of nameless characters die, just off screen. If that's not the case with you, okay, but if you do assume that people die off screen, it's highly unlikely that atleast a significant chunk of the population didn't, however many managed to get saved by marines and run away.

Additionally, I don't think Fujitora knew exactly Doffy's capabilities and how bird cage functioned. He still willfully put people at risk, which is the real main complaint I have with him. You don't get to play russian roulette with someone else's head and then say you do anything wrong because the chamber when you pulled the trigger.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Why wouldn't he draw Garp's ship with the dog figurehead. It would still be obvious who is talking in the anime from the voice acting I guess. But talking about orders and the title inspector makes it sound more like she was talking to Sengoku but Garp is also probably an old enough friend to call her Tsuru-chan.

That's not Garp's ship.

By that logic, any major event had barely any people dying, since we didn't see it happen. Which is a fair interpretation and a major issue I have with OP's depiction of violence, but I assumed most fans interpret the series that plenty of nameless characters die, just off screen. If that's not the case with you, okay, but if you do assume that people die off screen, it's highly unlikely that atleast a significant chunk of the population didn't, however many managed to get saved by marines and run away.

Additionally, I don't think Fujitora knew exactly Doffy's capabilities and how bird cage functioned. He still willfully put people at risk, which is the real main complaint I have with him. You don't get to play russian roulette with someone else's head and then say you do anything wrong because the chamber when you pulled the trigger.

Oda has never done arc where he show us people escaping, helping each other etc etc so much before .
Going out of his way to say how much people could have die etc etc .
I mean he even told us how much time would pass before people start to die with the bird cage.
We are talking about something that was moving super slow .
I think a lot of people die off screen just not with the bird cage .
In fact i say more people die from don parasite than the bird cage lol

Veelk

Banned
Oda has never done arc where he show us people escaping, helping each other etc etc so much before .
Going out of his way to say how much people could have die etc etc .
I mean he even told us how much time would pass before people start to die with the bird cage.
We are talking about something that was moving super slow .
I think a lot of people die of screen just not in this arc since Oda show to much things that go vs that .

I find that doubtful. It could just as easily indicate that there is so much danger to it that it needs all this help just to keep it contained to normal levels of death. And for all how 'slow' it was, we've seen plenty of people almost dying, so it's reasonable to assume that some didn't make it. But this is the major problem of Oda keeping all the real damage off screen. We don't know how harsh or light the deathtoll is compared to here.

But anyway, as I said, the actual deathtoll is only so relevant to the point I am making about Fujitora's decisions. Even if absolutely no one ended up dying, the point is that he was willing to let them die for his political agenda. He couldn't have predicted how fast birdcage would be or if Doffy had other means of slaughtering a population, but he was willing to let him try so he could make him look bad. Specifically, he was willing to let Riku's people, who he cares so much about, die for his agenda.

I would think Riku would take umbrage with this, but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom