• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

Is it me or does That kaidou silhouette ... thing ... resemble the weird massive thing we saw in the fog during Thriller Bark?

Not seeing it. However, I also completely forgot about that mysterious figure.

Florian_Triangle_Monsters.png

To me, what we saw with Kaidou was a japanese castle. You could even see the snow covered japanese style trees.

Grexeno

I highly doubt that mysterious figure in Thriller Bark will ever be explained. That would ruin the whole mystery of the thing.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I can't see Luffy going out of his way to defend Shanks. Hell, Luffy only went after Ace once he knew an execution date was sent, he wasn't worried at first when he just heard Ace was captured

Not just this...i dont think Luffy and the Strawhats would make a big difference if the enemy is able to take out Shanks anyway. I think its likelier that Shanks saves Luffys ass once more down the line, maybe sacrificing his life this time...who knows.

I think Shanks will be killed by BB, but only near the end of the series to help elevate BB as the final villain and make the final battle even more personal for Luffy. Oda won't kill him off randomly, it'll be to help advance the narrative, just like with Ace and WB

Of course if at all this would be something happening near the end of the Manga...but i still dont think Shanks will have to die for Luffy to have enough motivation to reach Raftel. Gold Roger also didnt need some uber revenge motivation to rule the seas...i wanna see BB vs. Strawhats more as a battle of different philosophies and freedom instead of it being fueled just by rage because he took out someone dear to Luffy before.

Yep. Knew it. Akainu and the Gorosei don't get along at all. But Aokiji is actually working with Blackbeard? Megatons all over this chapter.

But what happened to Capone? First time we've seen him since he up and disappeared.

And I think I was right - this is the last straw. Shichibukai are going to be dissolved, Marines are splitting from the WG. This chapter was worth the weakness of Dressrosa as a whole. Even if Akainu is pissed at Fujitora it seems like he is also pissed at the shichibukai and Gorosei.

Yep. Knew it. Akainu and the Gorosei don't get along at all. But Aokiji is actually working with Blackbeard? Megatons all over this chapter.

But what happened to Capone? First time we've seen him since he up and disappeared.

And I think I was right - this is the last straw. Shichibukai are going to be dissolved, Marines are splitting from the WG. This chapter was worth the weakness of Dressrosa as a whole. Even if Akainu is pissed at Fujitora it seems like he is also pissed at the shichibukai and Gorosei.

Akainu, at least from my impressions, is someone who wants to maintain a specific image and standard for the Marines. He won't accept cowardice or pacifism as an answer. He demands that Marines are shown to be a powerful and mighty force. Moving the Marine base into the New World rather than rebuilding the one in Paradise is basically a show of strength, as is the world wide draft of Marines that got the new admirals. Though he is a dog of the government, he refuses to be led astray and toyed with by people who don't follow his brand of justice.

Syntsui

Keep underestimating Kid guys, yeah. He is supposed to be the most ruthless of the Supernova, and to me, it's implied that he is more powerful than Luffy.

There is nothing absurd in him, in an alliance, defeating Shanks or at least getting him hurt.

Keep underestimating Kid guys, yeah. He is supposed to be the most ruthless of the Supernova, and to me, it's implied that he is more powerful than Luffy.

There is nothing absurd in him, in an alliance, defeating Shanks or at least getting him hurt.

He's definitely important.

I always thought this scene was foreshadowing.

ffdgh

Hmm...having a hard time time seeing him stronger than luffy and law for that matter. Probably will be proved wrong when he does something.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

Yes there is. Shanks could stand toe to toe with Whitebeard and forced the entirety of the Marines + Blackbeard and Co to stand down.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Erm...what ? I dont think any of the Supernovas is at Luffys Level post Rayleigh training - this might have been the case when they first met...but now ?

Even so, him being stronger than Luffy wouldnt mean much since Shanks alone is a level above that. So far Oda hasnt really had time to hype up Shanks crew and their feats...this will change very soon once they start attacking him. I dont really see how a power argument puts Kidd and Co. in a better position against Shanks.

Shanks clashed weapons easily with Whitebeard. Swordfighting skills more or less on par with Mihawk. Stopped Kaidou from attacking Whitebeard pre-war and ended the War with his arrival later.

Shanks is by far the most impressive Yonkou with his relative small crew that dont rely on Devilfruits. Kidd and Co. are in for a big suprise once they challenge them...i totally expect another Ace vs. BB situation when Ace realized he screwed up and BB Darkness fruit is the worst matchup for his Logia.

Im not saying its impossible...but it doesnt sound likely at all. Shanks is on a different level.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wasn't Kid's higher bounty due to him murdering everyone that mocked him?
Luffy has a high bounty due to world changing actions. Kid just killed a bunch of people.

Wow great chapter. These worlds reactions chapters are always the best. Really cool to see how the strawhats actions affect the world. Fujitora is redeemed, Kuzan is plotting something (i hope)and Akainu is just taking jabs like no other (and hes pissed). Oda's now setting the stage for the next arc and i think this one will be epic.

Kidd has the potential to be Enel 2.0 since both are electro-magnetism type powers some very different abilities could be written for him. His fruit is similar to Magneto.

For Kaido it's hard to guess accurately what sort of mythical creature he might be inspired by. Could be something funny that just happens to be really powerful or it could be one of the most famous mythicacreatures/beings. Since he's hanging around in the cold and he might be able to transform into different beasts then I guess Loki.

Qurupeke

Yeah. Oda has already said the next arc is Wano.

It's Wano.

Shiiit I didn't know that but it makes sense. Not sure if Kaido will be the main antagonist there but I could see it happening. This will also probably conclude many stories right now like Kinemon, Smilies, maybe the Law-Luffy alliance for now too.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I really thought that shadow was literally Kaido. Like he was this big round guy with these two little horns. Even after the post in here pointing out the similarity to the Japanese castle I was like "oh are you saying his horns look like that castle." Then on further examination it became clear that it was just a shadow of a friggin building. :|

Shiiit I didn't know that but it makes sense. Not sure if Kaido will be the main antagonist there but I could see it happening. This will also probably conclude many stories right now like Kinemon, Smilies, maybe the Law-Luffy alliance for now too.
Well we know that Kinemon and Momo know who Kaidou is, if you go back to pre-Dressrossa when they're sailing there. Their reaction suggests a connection to Wano.

There was always a theory about that thing outside of Thriller Bark being Kaidou. Never thought much of it, though. I though that huge thing was always just some huge thing. People started thinking it was Kaidou because it was never explained and he was called The Strongest Beast in the World, but I don't even know how you would fight something that big.

I don't think the Kidd-Hawkins-Apoo alliance will be able to take down Shanks.

Shanks' main crew (~8 or 9 people from what we've seen) were enough to stop the war. Hell, even Benn Beckmann himself was able to make Kizaru back off during the War of the Best.

Unless Kid, Hawkins, and Apoo are all at marine admiral strength level, I don't think they can take down Shanks, who's implied to be equal or greater than admiral level, as well as the rest of his crew who are probably all at admiral level.

I think their alliance will probably do some damage to Shanks' crew though, at least enough that Luffy will hear about it.

Also, for all of you that say Shanks has a small crew, we only ever see the core members. I'm pretty sure there are more people in his crew.

I'm also interested in what the Whitebeard (Phoenix??) Pirates are up to these days. Maybe Luffy will find them and they'll team up or something.

edit: Is Kaidou's epithet "Hundred Beast" or "Strongest Beast in the World"? I've seen it both ways.

eeeeeeeeevil

I bet ya when we're finally in End Game, this comes back up somehow. The Florian Triangle probably has some connection to the state of the world and its history.

I'm willing to bet those creatures are a big part of the whole ancient weapons thing.

Also man, that panel makes me realize it's been nearly 100 Chapters since the last 45 degrees joke!

Squishy3

They could be awakened Devil Fruit users that lost all means of rational thought so they just wander the Florian Triangle aimlessly (Maybe giants that ate zoan fruits? would explain their size), kind of like how the only thought of the Awakened Zoans in Impel Down don't do anything other than prevent inmates from escaping.

Kaido could just be the only awakaned Zoan user capable of actual rational thought, since the three previous examples haven't particularly showed any.

Fujitora is alot like smoker so I also place my bet on the latter

I think he's going after Luffy and Law. They are still pirates. Smoker got mad at the Gov. trying to save face and let luffy have his moment but he still tried to catch him later.

Fuji is going to get exactly what he wants, honesty and change in the Marines and two pirate heads on his wall.

Not just this...i dont think Luffy and the Strawhats would make a big difference if the enemy is able to take out Shanks anyway. I think its likelier that Shanks saves Luffys ass once more down the line, maybe sacrificing his life this time...who knows.

Of course if at all this would be something happening near the end of the Manga...but i still dont think Shanks will have to die for Luffy to have enough motivation to reach Raftel. Gold Roger also didnt need some uber revenge motivation to rule the seas...i wanna see BB vs. Strawhats more as a battle of different philosophies and freedom instead of it being fueled just by rage because he took out someone dear to Luffy before.
Ever since the end of Marineford it's been heavily implied that there will be an arc AFTER Luffy gets to Raftel and gets the One Piece

Raonak

Banned
Heh...some of you guys are really underestimating the Red-Hair Pirates....this should be fun :-D

Luffy and Law needed all the help in the World to take down DoFla...and Kidd and Co. are supposed to take down Shanks ? They are in for a big surprise. Oda is a genius so he will likely be able to show it with Kidd and Co. somehow save faces if he has further plans for them...but this fight will more showcase why Shanks is a Yonkou to begin with.

Hell i could imagine the fight ending with Kidd and Co. somehow joining the Red Hair Pirates lol. Dude has mad social skills and is charismatic as fuck !!

I could definitely see that happening lol. I always imagine all the supernovas will become allied with luffy for the final war.

I think he's going after Luffy and Law. They are still pirates. Smoker got mad at the Gov. trying to save face and let luffy have his moment but he still tried to catch him later.

Fuji is going to get exactly what he wants, honesty and change in the Marines and two pirate heads on his wall.

Still i don't think fuji is going to go into the palace to catch them.

Syntsui

There is something that bothers me since forever:

1) Shanks said BB injured him and that's why he has that scar. But I've been reading the mangá from the begining and he had that scar since Luffy was a little kid.

2) That implies he fought BB when he had both arms AND BB hadn't eaten his fruit.

In what kind of scenario a guy that, at the moment, wasn't even that relevant at WB crew, could've have had a fight with Shanks AND injured him, with no fruit power at all?

There is either some detail I'm not remembering or Oda dropped the ball on the scar thing.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
There is something that bothers me since forever:

1) Shanks said BB injured him and that's why he has that scar. But I've been reading the mangá from the begining and he had that scar since Luffy was a little kid.

2) That implies he fought BB when he had both arms AND BB hadn't eaten his fruit.

In what kind of scenario a guy that, at the moment, wasn't even that relevant at WB crew, could've have had a fight with Shanks AND injured him, with no fruit power at all?

There is either some detail I'm not remenbering or Oda dropped the ball on the scar thing.

Blackbeard is that strong. He also purposely laid low in Whitebeard's crew until he got the fruit he was looking for then bolted.

Syntsui

Blackbeard is that strong. He also purposely laid low in Whitebeard's crew until he got the fruit he was looking for then bolted.

It was clear that he only defeated Ace because of his powers, I just can't se him injuring Shanks... Or maybe he kind of cheated, who knows...

I might be remembering wrong but didn't Shanks say he was caught off guard by Blackbeard?

In either case I can totally see Blackbeard doing that kind of damage to Shanks. We don't even know how strong Shanks even was that many years ago. Sure, he beat some random bandits but almost died from a smaller sea monster that Luffy would've been able to one hit ko today.

Plus, as chummy as they could be, Whitebeard and Shanks were separate entities. They were only allies when their interests overlapped. The two of them and/or their crews getting into skirmishes and brawls is completely believable.

I might be remembering wrong but didn't Shanks say he was caught off guard by Blackbeard?

In either case I can totally see Blackbeard doing that kind of damage to Shanks. We don't even know how strong Shanks even was that many years ago. Sure, he beat some random bandits but almost died from a smaller sea monster that Luffy would've been able to one hit ko today.

No. Shanks straight up said Blackbeard didn't sneak up on him and he got it in a direct fight.

Diablos54

Sure, he beat some random bandits but almost died from a smaller sea monster that Luffy would've been able to one hit ko today.
Luffy beat that thing in one hit as soon as he set sail, Shanks lost his arm on purpose. He tells Whitebeard when he visits the Moby Dick.

And yea, BB's been hiding his strength the whole way, otherwise he never would have been able to give Shanks that scar.

smurfx

get some go again
I think Drake being part of Kaidou's group was just a fan theory before, right? Glad to see the hints Oda dropped were true. It's crazy how often Kaidou's name drops and we still haven't seen anything of him or his reaction to this.

Kuzan being part of Blackbeard's group was a shocker to me; I didn't know about it or at least do not remember something like this being teased, you guys seem better with that. And now Fujitora seems to leave the Marine as well, dude has balls of steel.

So, what is Capone's role? Is he part of Law's alliance?
fujitora isn't going to quit the marines. he is probably happy he isn't allowed to dock at any marine facility since that means he wont have to report to his superiors. he will likely go from island to island doing what he wants.

I don't think it is that to be honest. The manga has shown that Blackbeard has also been growing in strength since the beginning. For instance Luffy really hurt him when he hit him in Impel Down. He clearly beat Ace because his fruit had an advantage, not because he was necessarily he would be stronger versus all other oponents.

The main thing that has been emphasised by people like WB, is that he is underhanded and sneaky. I think he probably dealt it by treachory. Pre-time skip BB outright said it wasn't time to face Shanks, whereas Shanks confidently challenged him. BB is strong but he is kind of the Anti-Luffy. Not that straight forward, an under handed cheat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom