• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

The outfits for the girls not really change .
But them looking sexualized does effect them

I mean, yeah, they wore some weird-stuff pre-timeskip, but after the timeskip it's almost exclusively either bikinis or pants pulled way low on the waist for Nami, or sometimes even both.

I don't even know if it's the sexualization or just the fact that it's often really cheeseball. The outfits simply don't look good. Like, who wears jeans and a bikini top?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The SBSs are amazing. Love the one where Oda answers a question about which real world country he identifies each Straw Hat with.
Let me guess, Sanji = France?

I need to find this one.

Let me guess, Sanji = France?

I need to find this one.

kJ01ifC.jpg

I mean, yeah, they wore some weird-stuff pre-timeskip, but after the timeskip it's almost exclusively either bikinis or pants pulled way low on the waist for Nami, or sometimes even both.

I don't even know if it's the sexualization or just the fact that it's often really cheeseball. The outfits simply don't look good.

Which outfits you find weird ?
Looking at the nami gallery they seem normal looking ( same for robin )
But body type mess them up and how oda draws them like you said Nami pants way to low .
Miss the days of normal looking nami and robin .

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
To God Usopp, a continent is a country. All is under his rule.

Lunar15

But body type mess them up and how oda draw them like you said Nami pants way to low .

Robin's have been fairly normal, but I guess I just don't really get Nami walking around in a bikini top all the time. Her last two outfits have been basically ok, but the general theme is 80% or more skin showing at any given time.

To move away from negativity, one thing I've always loved about Oda is that he gives everyone very distinct eyes and he always keeps these consistent for his main characters, no matter what other changes he makes. They're definitely the soul of his characters.

Sadly, the books are not available for purchase everywhere. I used to import them from the US to get them here on México, but now Panini is also publishing it so I am double-dipping =P. I do get my wholesale discount so its not as expensive as it looks.

Here in chile every volume is like $15. i have like 14 of them but it's still too much money.

Veelk

Banned
But body type mess them up and how oda draws them like you said Nami pants way to low .

These are the last two outfits Robin wore, with the exception of the one where she dressed as a Donquiote member. You have an open blouse opened way down with a pair of hotpants and an extremely short dress with a plunging neckline showing ample cleavage. Now, if these are what you call normal looking clothes for women, tell me where you live because I need to move there. Even with normal bodies, those outfits are very sexualized. Even the winter coat outfits are extremely tight, showing their enormous breasts.

Honestly, this is one area that I don't think can be disputed. Oda sexualizes the hell out of petty much the vast majority of his characters, and especially the strawhat women. I would argue he does this pre and post time skip (with it really starting to happen around the Alabasta arc). Very few of their outfits are what I'd call normal, or atleast not sexualized.

Honestly, this is one area that I don't think can be disputed. Oda sexualizes the hell out of petty much the vast majority of his characters, and especially the strawhat women. I would argue he does this pre and post time skip (with it really starting to happen around the Alabasta arc). Very few of their outfits are what I'd call normal, or atleast not sexualized.
Doing a reread, and you're right. You can almost pinpoint the exact spot it happens around Nanoha or arguably Little Garden.

Kornflayx

Just listened to the new episode of the One Piece Podcast and I can only recommend it because Greg is on this week. As always he has some theories that are very likely to be true. And of course some tidbits that I never would've discovered

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The only things that bother me about timeskip designs are Franky's complete overdone-ness and the fact that we've reached maximum sexualization of Nami and Robin. Every outfit they wear now is just nonsense-town.

I like Nami's new outfit.

az6oImT.png

Actual shirt, kinda neat hairdo. I'll allow it.

Lunar15

I like Nami's new outfit.[/IMG]

Actual shirt, kinda neat hairdo. I'll allow it.

I said her last two haven't been terrible. The fuck is that skirt though. I guess it makes sense, I dunno.

I liked how Zoro got to wear a suit in the last arc. That was a fun change of pace.

Spinx

If you haven't read the SBS that are in the volumes, you're doing it wrong.

So much interesting information is hiding inbetween those chapters.

Yep, like this one.

D: You know how there was a question in SBS Volume 75 about the admiral candidates?? Well I just figured out the reason behind your final choice of the "Ox" and the "Tiger" so here it is...
→

Hitsujisaru [未申 (坤) - literally "Sheep Monkey"] → Momotaro

Ushitora [丑寅 (艮) - literally "Ox Tiger"] → Kimon [鬼門 - literally "Demon Gate"] → Oni [鬼] (Tiger loincloth, Ox horn)

SBS76_7_Diagram.png

And the "Oni" in this case would be representing the pirates.

Could the two new admirals "Ryokugyu" and "Fujitora" possibly have been created with the concept that, despite them being people of the Marines, deep down inside they are both Admirals who secretly harbor ill feelings towards the World Government (going against the WG → kind of like pirates?) as can be seen with Fujitora's wish to completely abolish the "Shichibukai" system set up by the World Government? P.N. Tosaka Kouhai

(Translator's Note: The epithets of the first three admirals [Kizaru- literally Yellow Monkey, Akainu- literally Red Dog, and Aokiji- Literally Blue Pheasant] come from the Japanese Legend of Momotaro, where Momotaro befriends a Monkey, Dog, and Pheasant on his journey to defeat an evil Oni in a distant island. This tale is actually based off of Onmyodo [derived from the more commonly known Feng-Shui, a traditional Japanese esoteric cosmology, in which the Ox and the Tiger, aka Ushitora, are the two zodiacs positioned in the Northeastern direction of the Onmyodo diagram and considered to be evil or unlucky. In Momotaro, the Tiger and Ox are represented by the evil Oni.)

O: What? Me, becoming restless? (cold sweat) W-w-what are you talking about? Of course not.

Uhhh, well that was one heck of a complicated theory written on this piece of paper. If you want to, go ahead and try to process it. I haven't said a single thing about whether this theory is correct or incorrect, okay! (cold sweat) Just saying. I j-just happened to throw this postcard in, so that I could show my fans the kinds of questions I've been getting and s-stuff.

Brook made up of 2 parts British and 1 part American = Austrian??? I guess that it's like he is Austrian in his heart. It felt weird to me when Brook appeared in the Anime and sounded nothing like Hendrix.

OP Podcast makes a great theory for Kaido being a dragon Zoan. Really good stuff.

We know the Kaidou Pirates are looking for a "samurai".

We know Kinemon and Momo had a intriguing reaction when Law mentioned Kaidou's name before Dressrossa started.

We know that Momo was of special value to Doflamingo, likely because of his Zoan.

We know that Kaidou is likely a Zoan.

We know that Kinemon harbors some special grudge or vendetta against Dragons, as he said so when he defeated Vegapunk's Dragon 2.0 at Punk Hazard.

When Momo and Luffy were trapped in the Garbage heap at Punk Hazard, Momo used/created clouds to "fly" to safety. Perhaps this is how Kaido climbed to Balloon terminal?

Therefore, perhaps Momo is the "artificial"/SAD version of Kaidou's all-powerful dragon Zoan?

These are the last two outfits Robin wore, with the exception of the one where she dressed as a Donquiote member. You have an open blouse opened way down with a pair of hotpants and an extremely short dress with a plunging neckline showing ample cleavage. Now, if these are what you call normal looking clothes for women, tell me where you live because I need to move there. Even with normal bodies, those outfits are very sexualized. Even the winter coat outfits are extremely tight, showing their enormous breasts.

I never said he does not sexualized them , he has done that since the beginning of the manga .
Also normal looking does not mean it not sexualized .
Her first outfit she on sunny so it should not matter since she at home and second one look like party\dinner dress IMO .

Did anyone ever explain why Kaidou's silhouette was randomly carved into that snow island that he left before going to the sky island? Or how a devil fruit power could save him when he was captured when there are sea stone shackles or even just a pool of sea water?

Veelk

Banned
I never said he does not sexualized them , he has done that since the beginning of the manga .
Also don't use anime pics if we are talking about oda art.

I'm not sure I understand the point of contention. For one, we're not talking about his art per se, but his depictions. You and I and everyone here knows that that is the exact outfit depicted in the manga. The anime is an adaptation of the OP manga and while it often doesn't retain the detail that Oda puts into the manga, the actual content is usually identical, or atleast the pieces relevant to the argument I'm making are. If this was an anime only outfit, you'd have a point, but it's not. As long as its true to the manga, it's valid to use.

And it wasn't done since the beginning of the manga. Nami looked and dressed far more normal than what is going on these days.

Also normal looking does not mean it not sexualized .
I never said it did. Either way, those outfits are neither.

I'm not sure I understand the point of contention. For one, we're not talking about his art per se, but his depictions. You and I and everyone here knows that that is the exact outfit depicted in the manga. The anime is an adaptation of the OP manga and while it often doesn't retain the detail that Oda puts into the manga, the actual content is usually identical, or atleast the pieces relevant to the argument I'm making are. If this was an anime only outfit, you'd have a point, but it's not. As long as its true to the manga, it's valid to use.

And it wasn't done since the beginning of the manga. Nami looked and dressed far more normal than what is going on these days.

I never said it did. Either way, those outfits are neither.

Her first outfit she on sunny so it should not matter since she at home and second one look like party\dinner dress IMO .
Nami first outfit was a t shirt and short mini skirt how is that more normal than robin wearing a dress ?
One_Piece_Nami_Cosplay_Costume.jpg

Just that in the early part of OP there body was not so sexualized but there outfit always were .

Kater

Banned

I wouldn't mind him making look characters a bit more to his liking, sexy or whatever as long as he doesn't screw up the anatomy too much (which he does) in the process. :x

I don't like that pretty much every woman has now these unrealistic proportions.

Veelk

Banned
Nami first outfit was a t shirt and short mini skirt how is that more normal than robin wearing dress ?

It's not necessarily exactly the clothes they were so much what it was meant to emphasize. I suppose you have a point about the miniskirt, but her shirt was prefectly normal. As opposed to a tiny party dress with a plunging neckline, yeah, it was significantly less sexualized and more something an ordinary person might were. By the very definition of the word, party dress is something you wear to a party. Why Robin is wearing such a thing to what she knows is going to be a battle is beyond me.

Look, you're kind of not seeing the forest through the trees here. I won't disagree that there was never an element of sexualization. I don't know why you took me at being utterly literal, but Luffy being clearly a boy is already serialization to some extent. But Oda didn't gratuitously sexualize his female characters to the point he does now. Nami then looked much more like a normal girl compared to Nami now. And not just nami, but other female characters in general. That's the point I'm making.

It not like in the OP world you have to wear certain type of outfit at certain type times .

Okay, true, but then what constitutes as a non-normal outfit if you're going to be a in-verse literalist about it? We've seen people wearing an anarchist mix of clothing from every different culture without people really batting an eye. If a person can wear a party dress and a casual modern clothes and jeans and a bikini and a 17th century suit and a bare speedo to any given event and not raise an eyebrow, it seems normalcy simply doesn't exist in OP.

But I wasn't being an inverse literalist about it. What Nami wore in the beginning was normal in the sense you can see a person wearing something like that in the town she was in without thinking it strange. Not so with current outfits, by and large.

SolVanderlyn

We know Kinemon and Momo had a intriguing reaction when Law mentioned Kaidou's name before Dressrossa started.
I keep hearing this, but I missed it entirely. Does anyone know what chapter/episode it was in?

It's not necessarily exactly the clothes they were so much what it was meant to emphasize. I suppose you have a point about the miniskirt, but her shirt was prefectly normal. As opposed to a tiny party dress with a plunging neckline, yeah, it was significantly less sexualized and more something an ordinary person might were. By the very definition of the word, party dress is something you wear to a party. Why Robin is wearing such a thing to what she knows is going to be a battle is beyond me.

Look, you're kind of not seeing the forest through the trees here. I won't disagree that there was never an element of sexualization. I don't know why you took me at being utterly literal, but Luffy being clearly a boy is already serialization to some extent. But Oda didn't gratuitously sexualize his female characters to the point he does now. Nami then looked much more like a normal girl compared to Nami now. And not just nami, but other female characters in general.

That i agree with but my point was that the out fits did not look so sexualized because there body were normal looking ( well not normal but much better than now) .
If oda was to draw nami first outfit now i don't even know if it could get over her breast with how big they are now lol.
The character art has become way to sexualized but the outfits were always that way .

Okay, true, but then what constitutes as a non-normal outfit if you're going to be a in-verse literalist about it? We've seen people wearing an anarchist mix of clothing from every different culture without people really batting an eye. If a person can wear a party dress and a casual modern clothes and jeans and a bikini and a 17th century suit and a bare speedo to any given event and not raise an eyebrow, it seems normalcy simply doesn't exist in OP.

But I wasn't being an inverse literalist about it. What Nami wore in the beginning was normal in the sense you can see a person wearing something like that in the town she was in without thinking it strange. Not so with current outfits, by and large.

Well yeah anything goes in OP that is one of the fun things about it .
It the reason Oda can come up with any type of story he wants since the islands can be so different .

Toxi

Banned
Did anyone ever explain why Kaidou's silhouette was randomly carved into that snow island that he left before going to the sky island? Or how a devil fruit power could save him when he was captured when there are sea stone shackles or even just a pool of sea water?
That was a Wile E Coyote-style impact crater where he fell from the sky island.

Veelk

Banned
That i agree with but my point was that the out fits did not look so sexualized because the body were normal looking .
If oda was to draw nami first outfit now i don't even know if it could get over her breast with how big they are now lol.

Frankly, they shouldn't have gotten as far as they did even with Nami's original figure. As shown in the real world cosplay outfit, the v-neck doesn't go down far enough to show cleavage.

Anyway, sexualization is not so much about the body or clothes so much as artistic intent. If Oda wanted to draw the same body nami has now but without emphasizing her T&A, he could.

Edit: actually, viewed from another angle shows that Nami didn't have a cleavage exposing shirt at all.

So yeah, it's a normal shirt.

Honestly, even the miniskirt doesn't feel like it's mean to be emphasizing her pencil thick legs.

Toxi

Banned
I wouldn't mind sexualization if Oda didn't draw Nami and Robin looking so similar these days. Dragon's Crown has very sexualized designs for the Sorceress and Amazon, but the character designs are very distinct and individual so I'm fine with it. Meanwhile, all the male Strawhats have very distinct looks and silhouettes while Nami and Robin have basically become light and dark haired variations of the same character design. It doesn't help that their distinct features (like Robin's nose) have diminished as the manga continued.

Lunar15

I wouldn't mind sexualization if Oda didn't draw Nami and Robin looking so similar these days. Dragon's Crown has very sexualized designs for the Sorceress and Amazon, but the character designs are very distinct and individual so I'm fine with it. Meanwhile, all the male Strawhats have very distinct looks and silhouettes while Nami and Robin have basically become light and dark haired variations of the same character design. It doesn't help that their distinct features (like Robin's nose) have diminished as the manga continued.

See, I don't know about this one: Oda's always drawn his females very similar. It's just that the "template" has changed over time. It becomes really, really noticeable when the proportions get out of wack, though.

Frankly, they shouldn't have gotten as far as they did even with Nami's original figure. As shown in the real world cosplay outfit, the v-neck doesn't go down far enough to show cleavage.

Anyway, sexualization is not so much about the body or clothes so much as artistic intent. If Oda wanted to draw the same body nami has now but without emphasizing her T&A, he could.

Honestly, even the miniskirt doesn't feel like it's mean to be emphasizing her pencil thick legs.

That i also agree with he should cut down on emphasizing T&A.
I remember forms members use to say he does it cause he does not get to see his wife enough lol .

See, I don't know about this one: Oda's always drawn his females very similar. It's just that the "template" has changed over time. It becomes really, really noticeable when the proportions get out of wack, though.

This also very true .
It looks like it just harder for him to draws females ( that suppose to be pretty \normal in OP world terms) so he falls back on his template (nami\robin)
It also don't help that most of them have long hair and the same type of eyes .

I feel like the discussion you guys are having was had like five - ten pages ago in this very thread. All this talk in circles about things that have been discussed to death is just silly to me. This discussion has been had every few months since the timeskip.

I feel like the discussion you guys are having was had like five - ten pages ago in this very thread. All this talk in circles about things that have been discussed to death is just silly to me. This discussion has been had every few months since the timeskip.

If it's one thing you learn about long running manga threads is topics come back every few months or years lol.
At least we did not have a power level one in a while that i can remember .

SolVanderlyn

If it's one thing you learn about long running manga threads is topics come back every few months or years lol.
DBZ - Power levels
Naruto - Shipping
One Piece - Boobs

Unfortunately.

Bonus

Bleach - Every chapter is itsnothing.gif

Veelk

Banned

I wasn't around for that one. How'd it go? I can't really see a sophisticated discussion happening regarding that because the rules of combat in OP seem very arbitrary to me. Even if there is a distinctly 'stronger' character, OP can always pull the "it doesn't work because of arbitrary thread bare logic that only works if you squint at it really hard" card. Like, Kaido is obviously strong, but maybe Buggy could beat him because...idk, maybe he has a deathly fear of clowns or whatever, paralyzing him completely and keeping him from attacking.

I think that Lola will be the next Nakama because she is certainly the daughter of Big Mom with absolutely no doubt although after timeskip I hope she has bigger boobies and less clothes.

Grexeno

So Volume 75 is out today in the US, and the first part of the Jinbe cover story is "Onward to my friends."

I have to imagine he probably is joining up sooner rather than later. He would be a very helpful, powerful ally going up against an Emperor.

smurfx

get some go again
So Volume 75 is out today in the US, and the first part of the Jinbe cover story is "Onward to my friends."

I have to imagine he probably is joining up sooner rather than later. He would be a very helpful, powerful ally going up against an Emperor.
he has to be showing up soon. my guess is that he will meet up with sanji and friends first so they can have a second powerful fighter so they can go against whoever might show up.

Lunar15

Well, tell Oda to stop doing it, then.

I will say though, I think he's getting the hang of drawing his new world designs. Like with the first half, I think he has to find what he likes over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom