• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa Sengoku, his personality has changed completely. He's gone from being a serious, no-joke strategist to being laid-back, easy-going, crying-of-happiness Garp. That's funny, but it makes sense too, how he was weighted down by the responsibilities of being Fleet Admiral, and can now finally rest.

And Bellamy isn't joining the straw hats, he's just escaping with them for now.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Alright chapter. Interesting that Kyros chose to spread that rumor about Rebecca's dad, but knowing his backstory I can see why.

I love that Sengoku gives no fucks now. After spending years with a stick up his butt, he finally cuts loose and smokes the same stuff Garp is smoking.

Rebecca joining would be a perfect way for Oda to troll all the fans. Fans asking for better fights for Nami and Robin? Let's add another female crew member and this one refuses to fight in the first place.

Lunar15

Sengoku being this really relaxed dude is a hilarious joke to me. Definitely the highlight of this chapter.

Like the rest of the arc itself, this ending feels like a weird mixture of Enies Lobby and Alabasta.

Oh man i lost my shit at that panel of "Luffy's not buying it" i dont know why but his facial expression and the air behind him made me laugh so hard oh man. Great laid back chapter, Sengoku is Garp now lol.

It'd be an interesting twist if Rebecca joined, since this situation is really similar to Alabasta and Vivi not joining.

Although Oda will really have to convince us that Rebecca is a worthy addition since I would pick Vivi over her in a heartbeat.

georly

It'd be an interesting twist if Rebecca joined, since this situation is really similar to Alabasta and Vivi not joining.

Although Oda will really have to convince us that Rebecca is a worthy addition since I would pick Vivi over her in a heartbeat.

This whole arc is "Same but different" to alabasta. It's alabasta in a mirror. It makes perfect sense for her to join, if you look at it that way.

Baroque works was a secret org where no one knew the leader.
Doflamingo had a family where everyone loved the leader

Luffy beat crocodile's secret underground organization from under the ground, knocking him up into the sky.
Luffy beat doflamingo's not-secret, royal family (that ruled from on top of a hill) by beating him from above into the ground.

The marines took credit for luffy's victory in alabasta
The marines gave luffy credit for his victory in dressrosa.

Vivi didn't join because she had to stay behind and rule her country
Rebecca....

Exactly, everyone prepare yourselves!

Also, were Kinemon and Kanjuro stealing the leftover fruits from the SAD factory? They were hauling around the same bag that Jesus B. had with the Devil Fruit design on it.

Hmm...

Kornflayx

This whole arc is "Same but different" to alabasta. It's alabasta in a mirror. It makes perfect sense for her to join, if you look at it that way.

Baroque works was a secret org where no one knew the leader.
Doflamingo had a family where everyone loved the leader

Luffy beat crocodile's secret underground organization from under the ground, knocking him up into the sky.
Luffy beat doflamingo's not-secret, royal family (that ruled from on top of a hill) by beating him from above into the ground.

The marines took credit for luffy's victory in alabasta
The marines gave luffy credit for his victory in dressrosa.

Vivi didn't join because she had to stay behind and rule her country
Rebecca....

And every chapter will be "Is that Nami or Rebecca?" It's not happening

Rebecca has been useless all arc, she hasn't earned the right to join.

Moreover, Oda is clearly making the (rather disgusting) point that pretty girls like Rebecca are wrong to want to be fighters. Hence why she's finishing this arc in a dress instead of having proven herself competent in battle.

If another girl joins the crew, she should be a cool, confident and capable character like Zoro or Franky who can dish out and take a beating. Shame that Oda has so much trouble writing an attractive female physical fighter.

NSESN

My problem with Rebecca joining is that she stayed with luffy for one day, while Vivi stayed with the whole crew for weeks, she joining while Vivi didn't seems unfair.

Isn't succession through the eldest child?

Ah, so Scarlet's kid has right over Viola. Sorry, didn't know it worked like that :p

Also, I can kind of see Luffy making the people accept Kyros as Rebecca's father somehow...maybe that way we get some closure with their relationship and Rebecca stays on Dressrossa.

georly

My problem with Rebecca joining is that she stayed with luffy for one day, while Vivi stayed with the whole crew for weeks, she joining while Vivi didn't seems unfair.

Well, if it mirrors alabasta, then you can also extrapolate it to mean that she becomes a part of luffy's crew AFTER the events. Vivi joined luffy's crew *BEFORE* alabasta, and left when it was done. Maybe rebecca joins AFTER and that's when she proves herself.

*shrug*

I still agree with you guys and don't think she's worthy of joining, but hey, it's an idea.

Luffy's not going to get Rebecca. He's going to say he's the knew King of Dressrosa and Rebecca will run it for him in his place. Boom. She's not in the crew. :D

Kater

Banned
Plus Vivi actually showed how capable she is.

Granted, there's Brook who didn't really do anything until after he joined who got accepted just because Luffy found him original but I think with Rebecca, she's neither original nor has she been any real help in the fight.

Veelk

Banned
The Shichibukai thing won't happen, but I find it hilarious how little control the WG has over literally every single one of them. They all subverted or otherwise failed the WG at any given point.

That sounds like an super emtpy promise. I wouldn't even believe if a Yonko came to my door that he could defeat the other Yonkos.

Then the WG would not recruit anyone to the warlords. I didn't think of the idea of Luffy joining the warlords myself but if it happens this might be the time.

If you think of what Luffy has done to now this is the end of the story of him cleaning out all the worst corruption from the warlords. The ones left are all pretty much strawhat allies although technically there are only 3 left and one robot controlled by vegapunk. Law and Jinbe could also rejoin making it the full 7.

When Rebecca actually joins the crew, One Piece GAF is gonna be all like

lol79upf.png

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I won't mind. I'm one of the few people that isn't crazy offended by Rebecca's existence.

RomanceDawn

So with this chapter I've updated the time line since the reunion at Sabaody. Not so much major events but how much time has passed. There is very little telling us how much time as passed between Sabaody to Punk Hazard. The girls change their clothes daily while most of the male straw hats just wear the same dirty things a few days in row. When it isn't clear a day has passed always look towards the women's clothing. Bottom line, 6 days in 5 years.

DAY 1 (Ch 598 - 652)
The crew reunites. Sail to Fishman Island. Civil war erupts. New Fishman Pirates are defeated.
Poseidon discovered. Big Mom’s crew comes to collect candy. Smoker captures the freed slaves.

(ch 598 last page : Luffy has arrived on Sabaody)
(ch 599 p.09 : Robin explains that Luffy will be the last one to arrive)
(ch 603 p.16-17 : The crew sets sail for Fishman Island)
*No mention of the passage of time but Nami and Robin still have the same clothes from their reintroductions*
(ch 610 p.06 : Madam Sharley lets Camie have the day off of work)
(ch 649 p.03 : Neptune announces that Hodi’s soldiers will now work in Neptune’s military)
(ch 651 p.06 : Tamago says the Tea Party is in 4 days)
(ch 652 p.03 : Neptune explains on this very day they gained more soldiers from the Fishman District)
(ch 653 p.03-04 : Nami and Robin still have the same clothes they wore when they first appeared at Sabaody)
(ch 652 p.13 : [MEANWHILE in the new world] Smoker captures the freed pirate slaves from Fishman Island)

DAY 2 (Ch 653 - 699)
Depart Fishman Island. Meet Laboon’s family. Arrive in the New World. Land on Punk Hazard. Straw Heart alliance formed. Doflamingo family members defeated. Depart Punk Hazard.

*We do not know how much time passes between Smoker capturing the slave pirates and the Straw Hat’s leaving Fishman Island. With Tomago’s explicit 4 day count down it’s safe to assume this is only 1 day later*
(ch 653 p.01 : Camie is working again at the Mermaid Cafe. Madam Sharley lets her leave to see the Straw Hats off)
(ch 653 p.04 : Sanji and Zoro fight. Sanji warns Zoro the next time they sit down to eat he will tamper with his food. Zoro responds that he WANTS to see if he can digest razor blades and poison)
(ch 653 p.08 : Nami and Robin have changed clothes)
(ch 654 p.11 : They meet Laboon’s family)
(ch 654 p.17-18 : The crew reaches the surface of the new world. Nami has changed her Criminal Bra out after her bath, Robin is in the same clothes)
(ch 655 p.11 : As promised Sanji puts razor blades in Zoro’s next meal, Robin laughs)
(ch 655 p.12-13 : Half the crew lands on Punk Hazard)
(ch 695 p.09 : Robin still in the same clothes she departed with from Fishman Island)
*Robin has the same clothing from the depart of Fishman Island to the end of Punk Hazard. She steals a coat from Brown Beards crew mate, she removes that once inside Caesar’s lab, then during the party she gets a brand new teddy bear coat off panel. Most likely from Kinemon*
(ch 697 p.08 : Law tells Doflamingo to quit the War Lords and wants the news paper to reflect that by the next morning)
(ch 699 p.10 : [THAT NIGHT on the open sea] (The crew discusses what’s to come and half of them go to bed)

DAY 3 (Ch 699 - 795)
Doflamingo “quits” the War Lords. Arrive on Dressrosa. Jinbe continues his journey. Swirly Hat’s confront Big Mom’s crew. The entire Doflamingo family is defeated. Fujitora allows the Marines and Government to take the blame for Doflamingo’s actions.

(ch 699 p.13-14 : Brook yells it’s morning, the morning addition of the news paper shows Doflamingo has left the War Lords)
(ch 700 p.19 : The crew arrives at Dressrosa)
(ch 751 Cover : Jinbe continues his journey to his friends)
(ch 760 Cover : Jinbe receives the morning paper seeing the Staw Heart alliance)
(ch 782 Cover : Jinbe parties into he night)
(ch 794 : After Dressrosa is saved the warriors rest for the night)

DAY 4
Wadatsumi joins Jinbe’s party. The Swirly Hat’s adventure on an island. Kaido’ attempts suicide from the sky and lands on Kidd’s island.

(ch 785 Cover : The next day jinbe allows Wadatsumi to join him and packs up the Poneglyph to go)
(ch 795 p.04 : [The following day NEW WORLD] (The Swirly Hats have arrived on an island)

DAY 5
*Unless otherwise noted) Big Mom’s Tea Party takes place and will most likely be shown in a flash back*

DAY 6
Tsuru and Sengoku arrive at Dressrosa. Fujitora attempts to capture the Straw Hat’s and Law.

(ch 796 p.01 : [3 days pass since the battle] Tsuru and Sengoku arrive on Dressrosa wondering why the Straw Hats are not captured yet)

MCD

There is a lot of room for Rebecca to grow if she joins.

I think her being princess all of a sudden and not enjoying her life is depressing. Let her grandapa or Violet do the thrones game.

Then the WG would not recruit anyone to the warlords. I didn't think of the idea of Luffy joining the warlords myself but if it happens this might be the time.

If you think of what Luffy has done to now this is the end of the story of him cleaning out all the worst corruption from the warlords. The ones left are all pretty much strawhat allies although technically there are only 3 left and one robot controlled by vegapunk. Law and Jinbe could also rejoin making it the full 7.
Luffy working for the WG???

Lol

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Kyros will join in Rebecca's place when Luffy asks Rebecca, in an agreement with Riku that Rebecca is the future of Dressrosa. Franky will make him a new leg.

There is a lot of room for Rebecca to grow if she joins

That's the angle I'm most interested in seeing. If she does join I think some good could come out of it. It's like I said earlier (not that any of my predictions have ever been anything but hot air... though I still stand by First Division Commander of the Straw Hat Fleet God Ussop becoming a thing), Rebecca was brought up to believe that she should be above harming another human being directly, but the events of this arc totally invalidate that philosophy. If it weren't for damn near every important person in her life banding together to kick the shit out of Doffy's crew, they'd all be dead, and during this arc there's been a fair amount of emphasis placed on the fact that while Kyros was considered a murderer, and has a violent spirit, he's been able to channel those desires into protecting those dearest to him. I really think she's gonna join, she's gonna ask to train under the Straw Hats so that she can protect her important people like the Toy Soldier protected her. Who knows, though. I just can't imagine the ending to this arc being a wholesale repeat of Alabasta's.

Kornflayx

What does Rebecca bring to the table that would be of any use to the SH crew? And no "a lot of room to grow" does not qualify. Viola has at least an ability that would be beneficial, but Rebecca has shown absolutely nothing besides crying and being helpless

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Startling revelation: Rebecca is Shirahoshi as a human with a sword who led a different life.

The similarities are even more striking than most females Oda creates. lol

Sengoku has been Garpified. LMAOOOO
Also, he must have been dying his hair black all these years.

Luffy being extremely lucky has returned again. Three days of safety from being captured.
Or maybe Fujitora was giving up the act around Sengoku and Tsuru.

Rebecca is going through with becoming the princess and Riku wants to make her queen?
Uggggh.
I'm still hoping she has second thoughts, and decides to just live with Kyros.

Bartolomeo 2 gud. The whole squad is 2 gud. Time for a great escape.

Fujitora is going to use all his might? I doubt it. The country is already in total shambles. Why make it worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom