• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I didn't literally mean that they never fight. We had very few of them. But what I'd like is also better quality of them. Nami vs Doublefinger was comedically driven. Robin's fight with Enel's goon was pretty much off screen. If I recall Robin's fight with Hammond correctly, it was barely a fight at all, since she just oneshotted him. Nami vs Kalifa was one I remember being pretty similar in tone to other crew member's fights, but that's the only one. I don't even remember Robin getting a 'fight' in Dressrosa. She fought a few guys, yeah, but I mainly remember her waiting for the one legged guy and Bart to fight off Diamante while she protected Rebecca. I honestly can't recall if there is anything else.

What I'd like to see is a MAJOR female fight. A lot of the fights with guys are extensive matches that push them to their limit and even develop their character in some way. That's what I would consider a real fight. If they're just going to fight offscreen or have relatively short matches against weak opponents, then there isn't much of a reason for them to have any particular fighting abilities. Their fighting abilities will not have any huge chance to show off, regardless of what they are. Baby 5 may have a huge creative potential, but if Oda makes her a strawhat and then never gives her an opponent that she has push herself to the limit to beat, it's not going to matter that much.

I do agree that Nami vs Kalifa, from what I remember, was good though. It was the one of the only times I felt Nami was part of the team in it's full sense because she was contributing to the fight as much as any other crew member.

Half of the fights in OP have comedy in them don't see how Nami vs Doublefinger comedically driven.
And there fights don't develop their characters really , most stuff we know about there mind set and ways you don't need fight to see.
I don't count power ups as developing a character .

EDIT Nami vs Doublefinger push Nami more than her fight with Kalifa damage wise .

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Wait so this makes luffy God ussop natural enemy?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Veelk

Banned
Half of the fights in OP have comedy in them don't see how Nami vs Doublefinger comedically driven.
And there fights don't develop their characters really , most stuff we know about there mind set and ways you don't need fight to see.
I don't count power ups as developing a character .

EDIT Nami vs Doublefinger push Nami more than her fight with Kalifa damage wise .
More than half if we're being honest, but the entire basis of the fight is that Nami has to win with a 'weapon' that was intended to be a party trick. Most of the fight was her trying to attack, only to have a comedic effect happen instead, and she combined it into an actual attack only at the end. *shrug* it was a very minor fight in the grand scheme of things and I only saw it the once, so I could be misremembering it. Doublefinger also seemed to be less important to the organization than Kalifa was to hers, so that's why I felt Kalifa was more important in that regard, but that could just be more because CP9 worked as a unit more than Baroque Works did.

And I never claimed literally all fights develop SH characters, or that power ups are that, so I don't know where you got that line of thought.

More than half if we're being honest, but the entire basis of the fight is that Nami has to win with a 'weapon' that was intended to be a party trick. Most of the fight was her trying to attack, only to have a comedic effect happen instead, and she combined it into an actual attack only at the end. *shrug* it was a very minor fight in the grand scheme of things and I only saw it the once, so I could be misremembering it. Doublefinger also seemed to be less important to the organization than Kalifa was to hers, so that's why I felt Kalifa was more important in that regard, but that could just be more because CP9 worked as a unit more than Baroque Works did.

And I never claimed literally all fights develop SH characters, or that power ups are that, so I don't know where you got that line of thought.

It was never intended to be a party trick weapon since she ask him to build it for her so she can protect her self .
Of course usopp mess her up and she took a while to figure out how to really use it during the fight lol.
Most fights minor in the grand scheme of things but chapter wise it took longer ( thanks her trying to figure out the weapon ) as her fight with Kalifa .
Organization wise Doublefinger was Mr 1 partner but we saw less of her so i can understand why you think so .

Also what i am saying is the fights don't develop ( guess this would depend on what you call develop )the SH even if they get push to there limit .
I wonder what you consider development ?

Seesaw15

Yeah I think this last arc really highlighted my dislike for most of the time skip designs.

For a long time Oda's been scaling back the size of Robins nose but now that she has long hair its really easy to get her confused with Viola, Handcock or Tashigi. I would have literally taken any of Oda's other designs for her.
16wDV5L.jpg

Nami's design is pretty bad too. If Oda would have given shoulder length hair that may have helped.
Rsamf3n.jpg

I would have preferred Sanji if he was a little bit more scruffy looking besides just growing a goatee and switching which side he parts his hair.
gOiWE8v.jpg

I actually really like Frankys redesign but the size of his shoulders ruin it.

QhWInrP.jpg

Zoro's design is flat out the best of the bunch. Though I feel like Oda fluctuates on how muscular he's supposed to be too often.
GOL8hWp.jpg

I'm sure Oda/ his editor had a good reason for his designs but I just feel like he really dropped the ball when it came it Robin/Nami when better alternatives were right in front of him.

Pics and text .

Guess it was just easier for him to draw what he consider good looking females that way.
In the early days they has less females and his art was not so stream line so it was not bad .
Truth is not matter what designs he had use for nami and robin we would see other females looking like them .

Imo, the best Robin sketch design is one you didn't post. It's a design where she got her Alabasta-esque hat back. Would've been amazing.

And yeah, Zoro's redesign is amazing. I remember being impressed by his clothes and hair in the first chapter we saw him in after the timeskip.

Yeah I think this last arc really highlighted my dislike for most of the time skip designs.

For a long time Oda's been scaling back the size of Robins nose but now that she has long hair its really easy to get her confused with Viola, Handcock or Tashigi. I would have literally taken any of Oda's other designs for her.
16wDV5L.jpg

Nami's design is pretty bad too. If Oda would have given shoulder length hair that may have helped.
Rsamf3n.jpg

I would have preferred Sanji if he was a little bit more scruffy looking besides just growing a goatee and switching which side he parts his hair.
gOiWE8v.jpg

I actually really like Frankys redesign but the size of his shoulders ruin it.

QhWInrP.jpg

Zoro's design is flat out the best of the bunch. Though I feel like Oda fluctuates on how muscular he's supposed to be too often.
GOL8hWp.jpg

I'm sure Oda/ his editor had a good reason for his designs but I just feel like he really dropped the ball when it came it Robin/Nami when better alternatives were right in front of him.

This sketches are amazing. Btw agree with everything you stated.
I feel oda could have done a little bit better with some of the designs.

Veelk

Banned
The farthest one on the left looks like Bayonetta. And he didn't go with that. I cannot forgive Oda for this sin.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I really have no issues with the post timeskip designs.
Granted, it's been 5 years since so I've gotten used to them.

I always see a lot of cool looking pages for One Piece that makes me want to start reading it but then I see its eleventeenhundred chapters and Its daunting.

Big One

Banned
I always see a lot of cool looking pages for One Piece that makes me want to start reading it but then I see its eleventeenhundred chapters and Its daunting.
It isn't so hard if you kind of separate each arc into it's own seperate manga sort of. The arcs all have their own self contained storylines, but it all contributes to a bigger world.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I like most of the post timeskip designs because the Straw Hats aren't meant to be unassuming anymore. They've trained for two years and had to become more hardcore pirates in order to tackle the New World, and their new designs show more "readiness" and are a bit more imposing than their old ones. Nami looks great with actual clothes on (Punk Hazard - coat, latest chapter) but I wish that happened more often. Franky looked alright bald and still looks great with his old hair, but cannon hair/pigtails/other crazy shit looks contrived and weird in a not-funny way. Robin looks sort of generic, at least in terms of her hairstyle, but it's an alright design. Everyone else looks great.

Am I the only one in here who buys the books? Seriously, guys. Buy the books, support Oda and enjoy reading in book-form wherever and whenever you want.

You guys are so incredibly late to the party on some things, it's crazy, lol. I thought people in this thread were caught up but we're posting old SBS's and everyone is in shock as if it's breaking news, lol.

Kornflayx

And if you don't buy the physical books, get the digital Vizmanga volumes. I like the digital better because the 2 page spreads are just better in their full glory.

SalvaPot

Am I the only one in here who buys the books? Seriously, guys. Buy the books, support Oda and enjoy reading in book-form wherever and whenever you want.

You guys are so incredibly late to the party on some things, it's crazy, lol. I thought people in this thread were caught up but we're posting old SBS's and everyone is in shock as if it's breaking news, lol.

Sadly, the books are not available for purchase everywhere. I used to import them from the US to get them here on México, but now Panini is also publishing it so I am double-dipping =P. I do get my wholesale discount so its not as expensive as it looks.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The brim would never fit! And no color pages show the other hat inset, it's always a solid surface! And his ears come out of different parts of each hat! It's a joke!!! Or at the very best a spiritual reference, not a literal "the hat's in there."

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Was I the only one to notice that he still had his hat, and he just added that blue thing to it? The X was clearly there.

By the way, I almost forgot, I was on mobile and couldn't post this:

3D2Y_Corner_3.png

The sketches earlier were cropped. Sorry for the small image, but the Robin design I was talking about earlier is slightly to the right of the big Robin sketch; the one where she wears a hat and has her hair in sort of a knot. That design would've been amazing. I get that Oda was going for a happier Robin with long hair and whatnot but I can't say no to that hat.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
ITT: Hat tricks

Lunar15

I'm shocked so many people didn't know about the hat, but I guess it was really only explained in SBS, which not a lot of people read.

The only things that bother me about timeskip designs are Franky's complete overdone-ness and the fact that we've reached maximum sexualization of Nami and Robin. Every outfit they wear now is just nonsense-town.

I didn't like Robin & Nami's longer hair at first, but Oda's been changing it up each arc, so I haven't minded.

SolVanderlyn

I'm shocked so many people didn't know about the hat, but I guess it was really only explained in SBS, which not a lot of people read.

The only things that bother me about timeskip designs are Franky's complete overdone-ness and the fact that we've reached maximum sexualization of Nami and Robin. Every outfit they wear now is just nonsense-town.
Everyone should read SBS.

Public service announcement: Read SBS, everyone.

The SBSs are amazing. Love the one where Oda answers a question about which real world country he identifies each Straw Hat with.

I didn't like Robin & Nami's longer hair at first, but Oda's been changing it up each arc, so I haven't minded.

The outfits for the girls not really change .
But them looking sexualized does effect there look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom