• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bonney is a great addition because her fighting style allows her to deal with fodder. luffy is going to be fighting pirates with huge crews and instead of having to deal with them somebody like robin and bonney can team up and wreck entire ships of fodder and allow the big 3 to handle the toughest pirates.

That's great but still, he needs to find a way to make her fight 1 on 1 combats too, cause probably everyone on the crew will have one final match to prove everything they've learned on the road (probably against BB's crew).

I sincerely believe though, that he can find a way. gOda is too creative.

This theory has me convinced:

So, after reading the latest chapter, I think it's a reasonable guess that Kaido is a Mythological Zoan: Dragon (Japanese dragon). Take a look at this here. Kaido's got the same sort of beard, the same sort of tendril-y mustache, as well as the fact that he's got a dragon scale pattern tattooed on his left arm.

This all says to me that it's pretty possible that Kaido is a Japanese dragon Zoan. This explains why Momonosuke is such a big deal, because Momo would be an illegitimate form of Kaido's fruit.
More "proof":

1. It's said in this chapter that a person who attempts to fight Kaido would find themselves faced with "a Kaido". Quick Google search reveals that a "Kaidou" is a type of ancient Japanese road. Japanese dragons are known for being unbelievably long. Kaido as a dragon would probably be long enough that he basically would be "as long as a Kaido".

2. Dragons are known in their legends for being either one of two things: 1. Immortal. or 2. Mortal, but with incredibly hard, nearly-unpierceable skin that essentially makes them immortal unless you can find a chink in their armor. This pretty heavily draws parallels with Kaido, as well as gives him a potential weakness so he's not too OP.

3. How did the man manage to single-handedly get to a sky island in the first place? Yeah, he flew as a dragon.

4. This color spread (http://bato.to/read/_/273060/one-piece-digital-colored-comics_v70_ch699_by_no-group/2) immediately after it's mentioned that the Strawhats are targeting Kaido. It's the Strawhats as a bunch of knights, "slaying" a dragon. Tell me that's not a serious case of foreshadowing.

I've always thought Roger isn't dead, but who knows. For a while I thought roger and dragon are the same person, still not a hundred percent sure they aren't.

Lol, of all the silly One Piece theories I've heard, this might be one of the top. Roger is dead. Tons of characters saw him die, he told Whitebeard he would die, Rayleigh said he was dead etc. Dragon and Roger don't even look the same.

Chariot

Lol, of all the silly One Piece theories I've heard, this might be one of the top. Roger is dead. Tons of characters saw him die, he told Whitebeard he would die, Rayleigh said he was dead etc. Dragon and Roger don't even look the same.
It's funny to put a moustache on Dragon though.
AmH92e9.jpg

"Hey kids, wanna do some revolution?"

I just thought of something. Why would Rebecca have to prepare to take over the throne if Viola is next in line? This might mean Viola is leaving Dressrosa and possibly going with the straw hats or law. Or it could just mean viola has opted out of becoming queen, or that Rebecca just has to get used to having the status of Princess now. Idk just a thought I had. I also think it's very easy to tell viola and Robin apart, so they wouldn't really clash too much.

Squishy3

I just thought of something. Why would Rebecca have to prepare to take over the throne if Viola is next in line? This might mean Viola is leaving Dressrosa and possibly going with the straw hats or law. Or it could just mean viola has opted out of becoming queen, or that Rebecca just has to get used to having the status of Princess now. Idk just a thought I had. I also think it's very easy to tell viola and Robin apart, so they wouldn't really clash too much.
Viola isn't next in line, she's Scarlet's younger sister. Viola would only inherit the throne if Rebecca wasn't around. (And Viola was the princess after Scarlet faked her death up until Doflamingo dethroned the Riku family)

360pages

It's one of those things that, unless Oda does something with her, Viola probably wouldn't be useful in a straight up fight. Then again, I think the only people who have gotten one on one fights against anyone of note, has been Luffy, Law, Zoro and Franky. Sanji might throw a kick, and no one has gotten any good fight since the time skip.

Baby 5 is probably the most interesting, but I doubt that will happen.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Violet and Rebecca would make fine crew members...but their country was literally leveled in this conflict. They've got more important things to do than gallivanting around.

I would love to see Bart join the crew, but he already has a pirate crew, so idk what would happen with that. I doubt he would think twice about leaving his crew behind to join the Strawhats though lol. Bonney would be a neat addition as well

I'm not sure why her powers would matter when straw hat women don't get fights.

Robin had some fights in Dressrosa. She didn't really take down anyone on her own, but she still fought. Nami defeated Miss Doublefinger in Alabasta, defeated one of Enel's men and attempted to fight Enel himself, and defeated Kalifa at Enies Lobby.

Robin also defeats one of Enel's commanders on Skypiea, and Hammond on fishman island.

they don't get as many fights as Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji, but I think they're at least on par regarding one on one fights as Usopp, Chopper, Franky and Brook. Chopper, and maybe Usopp having a little more.

Hopefully all the fighting will balance out over time, but I don't see anyone ever getting more fights than Luffy or Zoro.

Viola isn't next in line, she's Scarlet's younger sister. Viola would only inherit the throne if Rebecca wasn't around. (And Viola was the princess after Scarlet faked her death up until Doflamingo dethroned the Riku family)

oh dude you're totally right. Rebecca would be next in line for succession then.

Umibozu

violet would be seen as a former donflamingo pirate to the uninformed, making her continued presence complicated in the kingdom in the eyes of the world/marines, no?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
violet would be seen as a former donflamingo pirate to the uninformed, making her continued presence complicated in the kingdom in the eyes of the world/marines, no?

If they're willing to take back King Riku, last seen going on a Caligula like wholesale slaughter of the country with his crazed army, they'd be willing to take back a double agent who only worked for him to keep her dad alive.

Umibozu

If they're willing to take back King Riku, last seen going on a Caligula like wholesale slaughter of the country with his crazed army, they'd be willing to take back a double agent who only worked for him to keep her dad alive.
You're right, lol. I was just trying to make it easier for those who wanted her to join the strawhat crew

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I.. do not want Bart on the crew. Maybe he shows up later as an allied crew in the Straw Hats fleet but ugh I do not need his shtick on a regular basis. Besides, as far as we can tell he doesn't have a tragic backstory worth a damn, and his "ambition" would be met immediately upon joining the crew, giving him nothing to strive for. He's a dead end.

I don't want anyone from this arc to join the crew, none of them fit the bill, we don't need to cram someone on there who doesn't make sense. Jinbei is on his way anyway, he'll probably show up really damn soon, and there we have it.

I don't really want to see anyone else join except for, I guess, Jinbe. Most of the crew already gets little focus as it is (Brook still barely feels like a real crew member) and I feel like anyone added at this point who hasn't gone through Alabasta, Skypeia, Water Seven, and Sabaody with the rest of the team is just going to feel tacked on.

RomanceDawn

I don't really want to see anyone else join except for, I guess, Jinbe. Most of the crew already gets little focus as it is (Brook still barely feels like a real crew member) and I feel like anyone added at this point who hasn't gone through Alabasta, Skypeia, Water Seven, and Sabaody with the rest of the team is just going to feel tacked on.

I get where you are coming from. I will say though I used to feel that way about Chopper, Robin, Franky and Brook. Crew mates not experiencing past adventures can't really be held against them either. Now if the last crew mate joins with only 100 chapters to go then we got a problem. We probably still have at least a decade of story to go and if the next crew mates join(in succession like Oda said) within the next few years that will be plenty of time to flesh them out. Jinbe did get 3 arcs already and in all likelihood that just leaves one more person to make their mark and carry their weight in the story.

It's kind of sad because story wise Brook was with the crew for only days before they got separated. However when they got back he made some epic speeches to his adoring fans about Straw Hat Luffy, had just about the only fleshed out fight on Fishman Island(surely because of his lost time) and during that fight he gave a nice epic speech about dying and nothing being left but bones. Brook has not had any huge fights but his presence is known to me very well and I feel he now finally does blend well with the crew. Not to mention he has a connection to the crew that even Chopper, Robin and Franky don't have. You think about how long ago Laboon came into the story and how intertwined Crocus was with Roger, I feel like Brook is as true blue and established as anyone else.

Getting back to Jinbe, he was one of the first name dropped characters and it took a heck of a long time getting to him. His back story is so intertwined with Nami's however, that along with his 3 arcs already, make me feel like he is as much as crew mate as anyone who joined in the East Blue.

Veelk

Banned

Like I told the other guy, if you have an issue with my posting insofar as the quality, take it up with a mod. If I really am shit posting, I'll get hit with a ban or atleast a warning to stop. Which I'm confident I won't, because this isn't what shit posting is. Shit posting is trying to order a person to stop posting for the sheer simple fact that you don't like what their saying. If you want, I can get a mod in here myself, and they can sort out everything. Otherwise...

5096ec7aafa96f73b700539a.gif

Robin had some fights in Dressrosa. She didn't really take down anyone on her own, but she still fought. Nami defeated Miss Doublefinger in Alabasta, defeated one of Enel's men and attempted to fight Enel himself, and defeated Kalifa at Enies Lobby.

Robin also defeats one of Enel's commanders on Skypiea, and Hammond on fishman island.

they don't get as many fights as Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji, but I think they're at least on par regarding one on one fights as Usopp, Chopper, Franky and Brook. Chopper, and maybe Usopp having a little more.

Hopefully all the fighting will balance out over time, but I don't see anyone ever getting more fights than Luffy or Zoro.

Well, I didn't literally mean that they never fight. We had very few of them. But what I'd like is also better quality of them. Nami vs Doublefinger was comedically driven. Robin's fight with Enel's goon was pretty much off screen. If I recall Robin's fight with Hammond correctly, it was barely a fight at all, since she just oneshotted him. Nami vs Kalifa was one I remember being pretty similar in tone to other crew member's fights, but that's the only one. I don't even remember Robin getting a 'fight' in Dressrosa. She fought a few guys, yeah, but I mainly remember her waiting for the one legged guy and Bart to fight off Diamante while she protected Rebecca. I honestly can't recall if there is anything else.

What I'd like to see is a MAJOR female fight. A lot of the fights with guys are extensive matches that push them to their limit and even develop their character in some way. That's what I would consider a real fight. If they're just going to fight offscreen or have relatively short matches against weak opponents, then there isn't much of a reason for them to have any particular fighting abilities. Their fighting abilities will not have any huge chance to show off, regardless of what they are. Baby 5 may have a huge creative potential, but if Oda makes her a strawhat and then never gives her an opponent that she has push herself to the limit to beat, it's not going to matter that much.

I do agree that Nami vs Kalifa, from what I remember, was good though. It was the one of the only times I felt Nami was part of the team in it's full sense because she was contributing to the fight as much as any other crew member.

aechris

I think you guys would like this art. This is to promote the DVD releases for Fishman Island]

Luffy looks dumb (don't care if shorts are his "thing"), Robin looks awful. Outside of that the rest of them look good.

Been thinking a lot about the 1/8 Dressrosa thing. I *really* hope the next few arcs are faster.

Well, I didn't literally mean that they never fight. We had very few of them. But what I'd like is also better quality of them. Nami vs Doublefinger was comedically driven. Robin's fight with Enel's goon was pretty much off screen. If I recall Robin's fight with Hammond correctly, it was barely a fight at all, since she just oneshotted him. Nami vs Kalifa was one I remember being pretty similar in tone to other crew member's fights, but that's the only one. I don't even remember Robin getting a 'fight' in Dressrosa. She fought a few guys, yeah, but I mainly remember her waiting for the one legged guy and Bart to fight off Diamante while she protected Rebecca. I honestly can't recall if there is anything else.

What I'd like to see is a MAJOR female fight. A lot of the fights with guys are extensive matches that push them to their limit and even develop their character in some way. That's what I would consider a real fight. If they're just going to fight offscreen or have relatively short matches against weak opponents, then there isn't much of a reason for them to have any particular fighting abilities. Their fighting abilities will not have any huge chance to show off, regardless of what they are. Baby 5 may have a huge creative potential, but if Oda makes her a strawhat and then never gives her an opponent that she has push herself to the limit to beat, it's not going to matter that much.

I do agree that Nami vs Kalifa, from what I remember, was good though. It was the one of the only times I felt Nami was part of the team in it's full sense because she was contributing to the fight as much as any other crew member.

yeah i didn't think you were really serious, and i'm not disagreeing with you either, just pointing out the fights they were in. I definitely think that Oda doesn't push the female strawhats as much as the male strawhats, and I would be very interested in seeing a fight where Nami or Robin are pushed to their utmost limits. I'm not sure if I remember Nami v Doublefinger being comedic though. I thought it was just as serious as any of the other fights, although maybe a little less serious than Luffy v Croc. Like I said though, I don't think their fights have been any less fleshed out than the likes of those of Franky or Brook, Brook being the strawhat who has had the least fights of all, but that is mostly attributed to how late he joined the crew. Anyway, like I said I definitely agree with you and that is something I would like to see, and I'm sure we probably will in the end game of One Piece, but I would also like to see some of the other less focused on crew mates get some love too. We haven't really gotten a good Chopper fight since the time skip either. Actually since Enies Lobby really.

Also, idk why people keep talking about Baby 5 being a possibility of joining the crew. She's obviously joining the Happou Navy because Sai said he would marry her if he beat Lao G.

I also hope that Oda brings Mr. 2 back at some point. Honestly, I'd really love to see him join the Straw Hats if he ever got out of Impel Down, or at least help them out again.

Been thinking a lot about the 1/8 Dressrosa thing. I *really* hope the next few arcs are faster.

I'm not sure if this will happen. I think the arcs from this point out might be just as long, or longer. As we're getting into more important parts of the story I think Oda might want to focus more on details and backstories of characters we don't know to much about, a la Kaido. I think if he makes his next few arcs about 3/4 of the length of Dressrosa the pacing would be pretty good, but I'm honestly expecting something around the same length of Dressrosa for the next arc.

360pages

Honestly, Franky got a few good fights since time skip, more than Sanji. Honestly my biggest problem since the Time skip is how little everyone actually does. But on the other hand, I do kind of want to give the existing crew more to do.

Lunar15

Boy, I sure miss some of the older designs. I thought Franky's timeskip design was cool at first, but over time I've realized how overdone it is.

360pages

I also like Robin's short hair better, I actually like Nami with long hair. Sanji didn't change much and Ussop is better. Kind of miss Zoro's old style tho.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I also like Robin's short hair better, I actually like Nami with long hair. Sanji didn't change much and Ussop is better. Kind of miss Zoro's old style tho.

You mean when she was 8 years old? She's always had long hair as an adult.

IHaveIce

Banned
In the first few Chapters after the timeskip I really thought Ussop would be different, but he is still such a coward, eventhough he has pretty awesome stuff nowadays, same for Chopper.

Actually Choppers new designs really bother me. They all look stupid and aren't even close to being as cool as the old ones.

Franky doesn't bother me, he is way more useful than Sanji nowadays.
Who is just annoying.

Robin had good moments these arc, just her design is bogus and she has to fricking tell us what she did in the 2 years with Dragon.

Nami is meh, design is shit.

Zoro is badass, love him as much as before the TS, want to know how he got the scar.

Luffy is like he ever was just stronger.

Brook is fine aswell.

I really really hope neither Rebecca nor Violett are joining the SH, they are both useless.

Bart would really be the best one out of this arc

Nami with short hair is a million times better than Nami with long hair. Honestly this is my only main remaining issue with the post-time skip straw hat designs.

Only thing I'd change about Franky's post-timeskip design is the metal plating on his legs. That just looks awful.

It does look awful in colour, but imo in black/white in the manga it's barely noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom