• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nami's fights were amazing. Probably there was lots of pseudo-science involved but using the weather to create attacks and defenses was really creative and interesting.

Veelk

Banned
(I do think Nami and Robin share a few unfortunate traits or implications & a few other girls in the series do as well. But that's a seperate discussion from Nami by herself)

The discussion was never that Nami was badlly written per se. I would agree that she's about as well written as any other OP character, but that doesn't change the fact that she or other women don't have much going for them in terms of empowerment. Yeah, you can argue that she's useful, what with her exposition about what the hell is going on. But that's like arguing Q is an empowered character just because James Bond would have a harder time if he weren't given all sorts of fancy gadgets by him. Useful sure, characterized yeah, but the empowerment goes to someone else.

That's the real problem with convincing people of sexism. It's difficult to prove that it makes the product in which its present worse. You can write a fairly characterized female character while keeping her firmly in the kitchen without disapproval of the stereotype. It's just a matter of fleshing out the stereotype. OP would be a better manga if it had more empowered female characters on the battlefield, but it's difficult to prove that when detractors from the idea have the OP as it is and argue that it's already good and a hypothetical OP with better female representation is hypothetical and can't be provided for as evidence. It's not something you really notice until you see it actually there, and lack of it isn't something that is bad by typical measures of writing.

NSESN

I think of robin more of a support than a fighter, in dressrosa she had a big impact but didn't fight once: she saved rebecca, stopped hakuba, helped the dwarves.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I think of robin more of a support than a fighter, in dressrosa she had a big impact but didn't fight once: she saved rebecca, stopped hakuba, helped the dwarves.

Exactly. She works better behind the scenes.
Having support members is an important part of an RPG cast. Having all Warriors and no Mages is detrimental.

The discussion was never that Nami was badlly written per se. I would agree that she's about as well written as any other OP character, but that doesn't change the fact that she or other women don't have much going for them in terms of empowerment. Yeah, you can argue that she's useful, what with her exposition about what the hell is going on. But that's like arguing Q is an empowered character just because James Bond would have a harder time if he weren't given all sorts of fancy gadgets by him. Useful sure, characterized yeah, but the empowerment goes to someone else.

That's the real problem with convincing people of sexism. It's difficult to prove that it makes the product in which its present worse. You can write a fairly characterized female character while keeping her firmly in the kitchen without disapproval of the stereotype. It's just a matter of fleshing out the stereotype. OP would be a better manga if it had more empowered female characters on the battlefield, but it's difficult to prove that when detractors from the idea have the OP as it is and argue that it's already good and a hypothetical OP with better female representation is hypothetical and can't be provided for as evidence. It's not something you really notice until you see it actually there, and lack of it isn't something that is bad by typical measures of writing.

I was mostly responding to the person claiming Nami is the worst written character in all of OP.

I don't disagree with your views on this, Nami still doesn't escape OP's larger unfortunate tropes & writing.

SalvaPot

Robin is extremely powerful, but her calm personality and her backstory show us that she really doesn´t like direct confrontations, that is also what made her a great assassin and made her survive all those years until meeting the strawhats.

Hell, remember how she almost One-Shot Gecko Moria? If it wasn´t because of his Shadow ability, he would have been dead. Snap.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Robin doesn't fight much because it's hard to write fights that she can lose.

Her devil fruit ability is really broken. The last one-on-one matchup she had was in Skypiea... the first arc after she joined.

Grexeno

I've always said that it's very difficult to write fights for Robin that aren't "Robin easily curbstomps enemy" or "Robin's power is nullified and she can't do jack shit."

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Yeah, her natural opponent would be a logia, which she would straight up lose to unless she found their elemental weakness or until she learns armament Haki and it then becomes a curb stomp.

KtSlime

Don't all the crew lack empowerment? Isn't that kind of what happens when someone decides to follow rather than lead? Especially when they are following such a willful and charismatic captain such as Luffy? I guess I don't see it. Can someone tell me how say Sanji is more empowered than Nami? He probably gets more fights (although it's been over a year since either fought, so who knows). If anything Nami probably has the most empowerment as she is best at convincing Lufy to change his course (not that he is very amenable).

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Don't all the crew lack empowerment? Isn't that kind of what happens when someone decides to follow rather than lead? Especially when they are following such a willful and charismatic captain such as Luffy? I guess I don't see it. Can someone tell me how say Sanji is more empowered than Nami? He probably gets more fights (although it's been over a year since either fought, so who knows). If anything Nami probably has the most empowerment as she is best at convincing Lufy to change his course (not that he is very amenable).

The people arguing for sexism in One Piece literally think Empowerment = # of fights. If you go by any other metric, most of the females in the series are just as driven, charismatic, and multi-dimensional as any of the men.

Robin doesn't fight much because it's hard to write fights that she can lose.

Her devil fruit ability is really broken. The last one-on-one matchup she had was in Skypiea... the first arc after she joined.
I always imagine her fighting someone who can anticipate her attacks and damage her limbs.

Might be a good way for Oda to flesh out her powers and limitations which he haven't really had yet.

I've always said that it's very difficult to write fights for Robin that aren't "Robin easily curbstomps enemy" or "Robin's power is nullified and she can't do jack shit."

I'm pretty sure Oda can do this if he wants. The versatility of Robin's fruit is a key point for fights, i mean she can even fly with it. I agree that she fits on the "support role" but personally her fight on Skypiea was cool, it even came with badass panels like:

img_0

(Love the drawing style on this panels, btw. So good)

Kornflayx

You know, I'm kinda worried that Luffy is gonna be split from the group the next arc. Especially since they just got Luffy's vivre card from Sabo.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You know, I'm kinda worried that Luffy is gonna be split from the group the next arc. Especially since they just got Luffy's vivre card from Sabo.
Would be a nice inverse of the Impel Down -> Marineford situation, where we basically didn't see the crew for a few arcs.

Lunar15

I think a lot of these conversations are particularly weird because I feel like they didn't really used to exist. Sure, there were some minor things here and there, but there definitely was a turning point in Oda's work where it became immensely more noticable. That's what makes it such a weird subject, because it's not like we're just dealing with a writer who only ever used certain tropes. We're talking about a comic that people felt pretty comfortable about championing against this kind of stuff at one point.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The people arguing for sexism in One Piece literally think Empowerment = # of fights. If you go by any other metric, most of the females in the series are just as driven, charismatic, and multi-dimensional as any of the men.
The problem isn't the number of fights. It's the clear gender division on who gets to fight. It's fine if Robin doesn't get many fights (though I think the fanbase agrees that everyone wants to see another full 1v1 for her after so long). She's generally a strong female character throughout the series and she shows her strength through her supporting roles. The problem only became sexist after the timeskip when Oda started the trend of only males getting fights. It was ridiculous when ALL THE GUYS got fights in Fishman Island but none of the females did. And that trend has continued as the males have dominated all the fights ever since. Before the timeskip, it was usually Usopp and Robin that refrained from fights, which worked. But only Nami and Robin refraining from fights is what causes the sexism angle, especially with the other worrisome elements present since the timeskip. It presents the idea that only males want to fight while female characters will avoid it at all costs just because they are female (e.g. count the characters who have been shown avoiding, running, hiding or changing sides rather than engage in a full fight: Nami, Shirahoshi, Bonney, Baby5, Viola, Rebecca, etc.)

And that's why Robin in particular gets complaints about sexism. While the other characters can be explained away with "that's just their personality", we all know Robin would crack a few spines without hesitation. She's the one the fanbase puts in its hopes to be the fighter so that this sexist trend isn't present. But she doesn't (for good story reasons) but it still leaves the series without a female character with the will to fight. Which leaves the only female characters since the timeskip to willingly jump to the fray as Tashigi and Monet, which had it's own set of problems. And when you are placing your hopes on Tashigi, it's never going to turn out well.

Kornflayx

Who's placing hopes on Tashigi? She's been shown to be inferior since the first time she showed up. The pinnacle of which came when she dealt the finishing blow to Monet and acted like she actually did something of note.

Spinx

Oda doesn't care about fights anymore. Luffy vs Doflamingo had more chapters dedicated to Luffy getting his haki back than exchanging punches. All Doflamingo family members got one chapter dedicated to each of them and that was it. Were fights that short before the time skip, I don't remember. Heh

SolVanderlyn

People forget Luffy vs. Arlong was a one stage fight that consisted of Luffy curbstomping Arlong and destroying his house.

I liked his fight against Enel, because once Enel realized that Luffy could basically destroy him, it became less of "Luffy vs. Guy" and more of "Guy does everything he can to keep Luffy away from him". It also showed how Enel came to be the strongest warrior on his island even without the Goro Goro Fruit, because once Luffy started smacking him around he reverted to using his bo staff and tactical fighting (encasing his arm in gold and throwing him off of Maxim). Skypiea was such an interesting arc.

inafking

Sanji, Brook, Nami and Chopper and supposedly in Wano, where there are Kaido's people, aren't they?

I wonder if there's some kind of hierarchy in Kaido's organization that'd lead to interesting fights equally shared among crew members so to break that male/female fight ratio inequality. (kudos to them if they're 1v1 fights)

Jay RaR

Who's placing hopes on Tashigi? She's been shown to be inferior since the first time she showed up. The pinnacle of which came when she dealt the finishing blow to Monet and acted like she actually did something of note.

I kinda do I guess? Tashigi is one of my favorite characters in the series and it was a bit frustrating to see how she was handled during Punk Hazard. I had hoped she could beat Mozet without Zoro's help but she couldn't. Granted Zoro didn't completely save her since she got her shoulder bitten rather painfully. I mean I'm disappointed but at the same time a bit grateful that Oda didn't let Zoro save Tashigi from getting any damage. I think it serves as experience for Tashigi to get stronger after getting beat by Monet, Vergo and Law. There has to be a reason Oda breaks Tashigi numerous times in the manga more than any other female right?

As for Robin, I really hope she gets a 1v1 fight soon. Her actions in Dressrosa were impressive but I really want her to see how she engages in a direct conflict after the timeskip even if she's best as support.

Sanji, Brook, Nami and Chopper and supposedly in Wano, where there are Kaido's people, aren't they?

I wonder if there's some kind of hierarchy in Kaido's organization that'd lead to interesting fights equally shared among crew members so to break that male/female fight ratio inequality. (kudos to them if they're 1v1 fights)

Wano is the Samurai Island that is supposed to be a dangerous enough that pirates and marines don't mess with it. We don't know who is there but possibly Jewelry Bonney is there.

Zo/Zou or whatever is the island that they were going to meet at with all the crew and Bepo.

The way Kaidou is built up it's unlikely that the strawhats could take him on alone with 1v1 fights. It would probably be another "war" arc but closer to Marineford than Dressrosa.

inafking

Yeah, how could I miss that...IDK how could I confuse Zou with Wano (;^_^)

We'll see how things turn out there. That Kaido guy's like a Whitebeard on steroids

Lunar15

Eh, I don't need fights. Depending on the fight, they can sometimes be the most boring part One Piece. When they're good they're good, but it's more about the emotional impact during them that really gets me excited.

I think the main thing, as I've always said, is that I'd prefer for Oda to just slow down on all the external characters and focus on the crew a bit. I think that easily solves almost all of our problems.

inafking

Let's agree that they were introducing almost every colloseum fighter in the tournament, there was even a panel filled with them.

That's the wheel that keeps spinning: Instead of getting more panel time for crew members, historical events and plot there's more and more new characters being introduced.

Lunar15

Don't get me wrong, Oda excels at making me like random bit characters. He's great at introducing characters and fleshing them out at least a little.

KtSlime

I kinda do I guess? Tashigi is one of my favorite characters in the series and it was a bit frustrating to see how she was handled during Punk Hazard. I had hoped she could beat Mozet without Zoro's help but she couldn't. Granted Zoro didn't completely save her since she got her shoulder bitten rather painfully. I mean I'm disappointed but at the same time a bit grateful that Oda didn't let Zoro save Tashigi from getting any damage. I think it serves as experience for Tashigi to get stronger after getting beat by Monet, Vergo and Law. There has to be a reason Oda breaks Tashigi numerous times in the manga more than any other female right?

As for Robin, I really hope she gets a 1v1 fight soon. Her actions in Dressrosa were impressive but I really want her to see how she engages in a direct conflict after the timeskip even if she's best as support.

I think the reason is simple, she's not Kuina. Only characters with back stories get any serious development time.

SolVanderlyn

Tashigi is still 100x better than the average person in the OP world. I was really surprised she did as much as she did in her fight with Monet. Post-timeskip was more kind to her than it was to Robin or Nami.

SolVanderlyn

Reading the wiki, it seems Momousagi was in the running to become an Admiral... I wish she did.

250px-Momousagi_Manga_Infobox.png

Edit: Double post, sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom