• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does Rebecca bring to the table that would be of any use to the SH crew? And no "a lot of room to grow" does not qualify. Viola has at least an ability that would be beneficial, but Rebecca has shown absolutely nothing besides crying and being helpless
Not only on a power level, but also a utility level regarding the crew.

She doesn't really have a skill set or "dream" that each of the other straw hats share. I'm sure all she wants is to live with her Dad.

Lunar15

Wait, where in the world is the idea that Rebecca is going to join the crew coming from at all?

I mean, I'm not saying it won't happen or that I would mind, but what are the clues that lead anyone to this semi-serious conversation in the first place?

Wait, where in the world is the idea that Rebecca is going to join the crew coming from at all?

I mean, I'm not saying it won't happen or that I would mind, but what are the clues that lead anyone to this semi-serious conversation in the first place?
It came up from Luffy having something to do in Dressrossa from this chapter. What else is there besides one last conversation with Rebecca?

Lunar15

It came up from Luffy having something to do in Dressrossa from this chapter. What else is there besides one last conversation with Rebecca?

Right, but where's the jump to "that conversation is about her joining the crew"? Rebecca is going to be rejoined with Kyros. Luffy will probably implicate her with something he did so that she'll be forced to abdicate the throne. But even THAT is a total guess based on literally nothing.

Kornflayx

Right, but where's the jump to "that conversation is about her joining the crew"? Rebecca is going to be rejoined with Kyros. Luffy will probably implicate her with something he did so that she'll be forced to abdicate the throne. But even THAT is a total guess based on literally nothing.

On the last page was a post, that Dressrosa is kinda the inverse of Alabasta. Which could infer that, since Vivi didn't join, Rebecca will

It's all speculation dude. We're just throwing ideas around.

inafking

What does Rebecca bring to the table that would be of any use to the SH crew? And no "a lot of room to grow" does not qualify. Viola has at least an ability that would be beneficial, but Rebecca has shown absolutely nothing besides crying and being helpless

I'd be very glad if Viola'd join the SH, but that's not gonna happen since there aren't any hints about that. Also, she'd be somewhat a clone of Robin and her ability would ruin the whole adventure of sailing since they'd know beforehand if there are any perils and whatever's going on the place they're heading.

Startling revelation: Rebecca is Shirahoshi as a human with a sword who led a different life.

The similarities are even more striking than most females Oda creates. lol

LMAO!

Not only on a power level, but also a utility level regarding the crew.

She doesn't really have a skill set or "dream" that each of the other straw hats share. I'm sure all she wants is to live with her Dad.

She doesn't even have haki as to compensate.

BTW, maybe we'll have to wait a lot longer to know Ryokugyu's face. We only know that he exists as the third admiral.

...and IDK if the next place's gonna be Wano where they're supposed to fight Kaido. I wonder what'd happen to the other supernova trio since Kaido fell there. Are they fucked?

Lunar15

It's all speculation dude. We're just throwing ideas around.

I know, but sometimes the conversation gets really certain about things after crazy jumps of logic.

Anywho, in terms of speculation: It'd sure be helpful if someone in their group had some kind of barrier ability that allowed them to escape unharmed, hmm.....

On the last page was a post, that Dressrosa is kinda the inverse of Alabasta. Which could infer that, since Vivi didn't join, Rebecca will

yeah me scared its setting up for this. If Rebecca decides to join Violet can say she can take the thrown. The straw hats are lacking a strong female warrior type. I think when Nami was first drawn didn't she have like a metal arm & a giant Axe, which Oda intended originally so Rebecca may be filling that role. I just don't know how she could leave her dad.

327px-Nami_Battle-Axe.png

But looking at everything EVEN IF Rebecca & Bellamy joined the crew, how are they gonna stop Kaidou? Doffy's bounty was over 300,000,000 & that was years ago, theres no telling how high it could be now. Plus he has awakening. That's admiral level stuff there like it seems Kuzan & Akaino. In Punk Hazard it seems they used their fruits awakening to change the environment like Doffy did to the buildings. And Doffy is still scared shitless of Kaidou. Rebecca & Bellamy don't seem like they gonna help out that much.

Kornflayx

I know, but sometimes the conversation gets really certain about things after crazy jumps of logic.

Anywho, in terms of speculation: It'd sure be helpful if someone in their group had some kind of barrier ability that allowed them to escape unharmed, hmm.....

Bartolomeo would be an awesome bodyguard. Give him a suit and sunglasses and let the crew drive around in a pope mobile made out of barriers

She doesn't even have haki as to compensate.

BTW, maybe we'll have to wait a lot longer to know Ryokugyu's face. We only know that he exists as the third admiral.

...and IDK if the next place's gonna be Wano where they're supposed to fight Kaido. I wonder what'd happen to the other supernova trio since Kaido fell there. Are they fucked?
She actually has Observation Haki, according to Luffy, which is how she dodged a ton of attacks in the Colliseum (including Hakuba's).

And yeah, Kidd's alliance is seriously boned imo.

Lunar15

I think reading into it that Rebecca joins the crew is weird, especially since Luffy is upset that she and Kyros can't be together. He clearly wants to unite the two. Having her join the crew would separate them again, thus spoiling the whole emotional centerpoint of this arc.

As I said before, Luffy might make a declaration to the marines that she's in cahoots with him, and that will mean she'll have to go into hiding as she's a criminal and would no longer be able to associate with the Royal Family, exactly like what her father did.

The whole theme of the entire arc is about maintaining false appearances to save face. Doflamingo turned Dressrosa into a land where people literally turned a blind eye to the problems in the underbelly until luffy's crew exposed everything. The Marines faced the same issue where they had covered up everything regarding the Sichibukai in order to save face, but even this was exposed by Issho. The Royal Family had to make up Scarlet's death in order to allow her and Kyros to be together, and now something very similar will happen with Rebbeca for the same thing to happen.

Oda is pretty symmetrical with his internal themes, and I see no exceptions here.

Chariot

I think reading into it that Rebecca joins the crew is weird, especially since Luffy is upset that she and Kyros can't be together. He clearly wants to unite the two. Having her join the crew would separate them again, thus spoiling the whole emotional centerpoint of this arc.

As I said before, Luffy might make a declaration to the marines that she's in cahoots with him, and that will mean she'll have to go into hiding as she's a criminal just like her father.
Then take him too. Hell, take the whole island and let the World Goverment tremble in fear of the Strawhat's swimming Kingdom Crew.

As I said before, Luffy might make a declaration to the marines that she's in cahoots with him, and that will mean she'll have to go into hiding as she's a criminal and would no longer be able to associate with the Royal Family, exactly like what her father did.

Right, and this would still be a different scenario to Vivi's outcome. Rebecca leaves the kingdom instead of ruling it.

inafking

On a differente note, I've always wondered if Viola's power is similar or more powerful than Observation Haki. If I understand, she must focus to see through his enemie's thoughts (sorta mind reading).

Kenbunshoku Haki would be useful to read enemies movements but not their thoughs as opposed to Viola's fruit? The former would be for "quick reads" of the mind while the latter would be for deep scan of it, wouldn't it?

Lunar15

Right, and this would still be a different scenario to Vivi's outcome. Rebecca leaves the kingdom instead of ruling it.

Right, but I don't see that this ending is an inverse of Alabasta, just that it's extremely familiar to Alabasta and Enies Lobby.... nearly to a point that it's slightly derivative, but it's different enough to hold up.

As for Bellamy, he could totally sail away with Luffy and Law for the time being, but I think he might join up with one of the other various crews helping Luffy. He'll join this great big Pirate Alliance that's clearly forming.

I think Oda now has this really cool "ace in the hole" where new characters he likes don't have to join the crew proper, but they can join this "alliance" that's building up around Luffy so that they can be present when the really big shit hits the fan later in the story.

It could just be him saying good bye to her, or he could go to see the king or something else entirely. I'm not saying Rebecca isn't joining, because it's not too unlikely right now, I'm just saying there are definitely other things he could be doing.

Rebecca is strong. She is like 16 years old and won her round in the Colosseum event without attacking. She is younger than Luffy was at the start of his journey and is able to use Haki.

Their royal family also different to the ones in Alabaster or Fishman Isle as they don't go back to before the void century since they are more like substitutes for the Donquixote family. Mon Cherie is closer to being the real royal princess of this arc with links to the void century.

Veelk

Banned
Rebecca is strong. She is like 16 years old and won her round in the Colosseum event without attacking. She is younger than Luffy was at the start of his journey and is able to use Haki.

Which is a skill I am sure is going to go over well in typical fights where opponents are not disqualified if they fall out of a ring.

If Rebecca became a strawhat, Oda would probably give her less fights than even Nami and Robin because her gimmick makes her capable of working within very set conditions. Any fight she is in better be where the opponent falling over means they are going to permanently stay down.

The fighting style is idiotic for an adventurer anyway. Really, it's idiotic for a Colosseum fighter too, but especially if she is going to go out into the world.

Bart was great this chapter. I really hope Rebecca doesn't become a strawhat though, she isn't a very interesting character imo.

I love how Sengoku just doesn't give a fuck anymore, that was too good.

I guess Bellamy is going with them for the time being though, seems to be his only way out unless he buys them time at the very end to escape. Luffy is probably just going to say goodbye to Rebecca, which is a waste of time imo lol.

Who was Fujitora talking to at the end, you think? Was it just himself?

inafking

It's likely that he's just talking to himself.

Changing subject, I'd love to see in the last chapters of OP fights against the gorosei, that's if they have any fighting abilities at all.

Also, IDK if it's a silly question, but...is there a power above the gorosei? The world nobles maybe? I've always had that doubt.

It's likely that he's just talking to himself.

Changing subject, I'd love to see in the last chapters of OP fights against the gorosei, that's if they have any fighting abilities at all.

Also, IDK if it's a silly question, but...is there a power above the gorosei? The world nobles maybe? I've always had that doubt.

i've always had my suspicions that the gorosei themselves are world nobles

but if they aren't then yeah, i guess the nobles would be above them

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Guys this "who from this arc will join" conversation just has to stop. None of them are good, none of them will join, stop making arguments for why A or B would be marginally passable. This has been going on for months. Some topics are okay to just let die.

Guys this "who from this arc will join" conversation just has to stop. None of them are good, none of them will join, stop making arguments for why A or B would be marginally passable. This has been going on for months. Some topics are okay to just let die.

But...Rebecca....

Lunar15

Princesses having to stay at the stove while their white knights moving on to adventure and more princesses is getting tiring.

You're in luck then, because that's exactly the opposite of what's going to happen. Rebecca will go off with Kyros.

Imho no one is joining this arc, as the primary focus was setting up Luffy's future allies/subordinates for when he becomes Yonkou-level.

With the greatest Straw-Hat fanboy to rule them all.

Are we still even entertaining the thought of Rebecca leaving Dressrosa?

Why would she separate herself from the father she forgot about for ten years? Why would she join a pirate crew when she doesn't like to fight or hurt people?

inafking

It's noteworthy that Oda adds some redundancy in the use of concepts. I remember that Akainu means Red Dog and the first appearances of Garp showed him traveling in a Dog-themed ship.

Now there's Ryokugyu that means Green Bull and Kaido also has the horns of a bull.

It'd weird for Kaido to have a dragon-type zoan having those horns.

It's noteworthy that Oda adds some redundancy in the use of concepts. I remember that Akainu means Red Dog and the first appearances of Garp showed him traveling in a Dog-themed ship.

Now there's Ryokugyu that means Green Bull and Kaido also has the horns of a bull.

That's like saying Luffy and Buggy are redundant because they both wear hats.

Or Usopp and Arlong are redundant because they both have long noses.

There's much more to the story of the admirals names, but anyway, don't see what that has to do with Kaido. And Asian dragons all have horns in all kinds of forms.

Lunar15

Are we still even entertaining the thought of Rebecca leaving Dressrosa?

Why would she separate herself from the father she forgot about for ten years? Why would she join a pirate crew when she doesn't like to fight or hurt people?

This is basically my stance. Oda's clearly building up to the reunion of Kyros and Rebecca.

inafking

Do you think the next arc will be about Kaido with glimpses of Big Mom? Maybe Sanji wins Big Mom over by his cooking skills and proves to be a powerful ally against Kaido?

There are seas of speculations up to this point, and I've been engulfed by them

Kreed

Outside of younger fans who like the "oh look, it's a new crew member" factor, I really don't get the desire from longtime One Piece fans for new crew members at this point of the story. There's more than enough crew members and guest characters right now, and every new addition just means either longer arcs and/or less panel time for the older crew members (there's only so many times Oda can send part of the crew somewhere else before it gets old).

That's true. Brook and to a lesser extent, Franky, really need some more development.

Enies Lobby Franky was awesome from a character standpoint.

The straw hats are lacking a strong female warrior type. I think when Nami was first drawn didn't she have like a metal arm & a giant Axe, which Oda intended originally so Rebecca may be filling that role.

327px-Nami_Battle-Axe.png
This is not Nami's early design: this is Namecca. Rebecca will join the crew and do the fusion dance with Nami. This pic proves that everything was planned from the start. Foreshadowing, GODA, etc

inafking

Outside of younger fans who like the "oh look, it's a new crew member" factor, I really don't get the desire from longtime One Piece fans for new crew members at this point of the story. There's more than enough crew members and guest characters right now, and every new addition just means either longer arcs and/or less panel time for the older crew members (there's only so many times Oda can send part of the crew somewhere else before it gets old).

Yeah, there should be more panel time for crew members to show more of their training process before the timeskip. Things like Zoro's scar, Robin listening to Dragon plans, how Sanji got the skywalk technique.

Well, maybe a lot of people would consider that as filling content.

BTW, when I try to start a topic and it doesn't catch people's attention I quicky try to change it to another because insisting in the same one would be annoying.

IDK if you guys wanna keep talking about new member additions then it's fine. Whatever keep the people happy in this thread, I don't wanna get it filled with drama. (^_-)~✰

I wouldn't mind rebecca joining if she actually becomes a power house warrior and hones her skills under Zoro or something. Other than that, meh, would rather have Smoker's girl join because of her funny relationship with Zoro.

Boa join because of her hilarious relationship with Luffy, and how Sanji would be with her on the ship

Bellamy is still not likable IMO, so him joining would maybe give Oda an opportunity to have him become a valued member of the crew.

Maybe Luffy just wants to thank the admiral or something for not budding in? He did know he was really strong already.

Would honestly really like to get back to some of the crew's origin stories and 2 years whereabouts already, really a lot of question marks there, particularly Zoro/Luffy/Robin

inafking

I wouldn't mind rebecca joining if she actually Would honestly really like to get back to some of the crew's origin stories and 2 years whereabouts already, really a lot of question marks there, particularly Zoro/Luffy/Robin

IIRC, there's that 3D2Y movie in which they show Luffy's traning process. Well, it's a movie so I wouldn't call it 100% canon .

BTW, when I try to start a topic and it doesn't catch people's attention I quicky try to change it to another because insisting in the same one would be annoying.

IDK if you guys wanna keep talking about new member additions then it's fine. Whatever keep the people happy in this thread, I don't wanna get it filled with drama. (^_-)~✰

Nothing wrong with changing the subject, but when you do it very frequently in a short amount of time it kind of disrupts the current flow of things.

Similarly, discussing one topic at length is also fine because everyone has a different or unique approach to things providing perspective others might not have.

Just my two cents, no drama necessary.

inafking

Nothing wrong with changing the subject, but when you do it very frequently in a short amount of time it kind of disrupts the current flow of things.

Similarly, discussing one topic at length is also fine because everyone has a different or unique approach to things providing perspective others might not have.

Just my two cents, no drama necessary.

Thanks! What I like so much about this thread is that is 99% on topic! (well, maybe that 1% would be talking about the anime instead of the manga) o(^▽^)o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom