• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_nso2e9BbkH1tj8bbco2_500.jpg

tumblr_nso2e9BbkH1tj8bbco3_500.jpg

tumblr_nso2e9BbkH1tj8bbco4_500.jpg

tumblr_nso2e9BbkH1tj8bbco5_500.jpg

The straw hats are lacking a strong female warrior type. I think when Nami was first drawn didn't she have like a metal arm & a giant Axe, which Oda intended originally so Rebecca may be filling that role.

327px-Nami_Battle-Axe.png

God, why the hell didn't Oda just go with this? Nami is arguably the least interesting of the crew in terms of writing, design and combat (in the rare instances she's still allowed to fight), and she could have been so cool.

It's depressing to think that Nami's most awesome moment since Alabasta was when Sanji took over her body in Punk Hazard and we got to see a female character kicking ass for a few chapters.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
She's the navigator! Her role is to help get the crew from island to island, as well as be one of the voices of reason for the crew's insanity. Saying she's "poorly written" tells me you don't pay attention to the story.

Which I imagine you don't since you somehow forgot Enies Lobby.

That Nami design is super goofy, she has way too much going on.

I would much rather see Nami fight with the weather stick and win by being smart instead of wielding a massive axe when she looks like she weighs 70 pounds

Seesaw15

She's the navigator! Her role is to help get the crew from island to island, as well as be one of the voices of reason for the crew's insanity. Saying she's "poorly written" tells me you don't pay attention to the story.

Agreed, the only crew mate I really expect to fight is Zorro since his only job is being a swordsman. Everyone else has defined roles and their combat value is secondary.

Definitely. There are so many ridiculous posts in here. To some people, OP seem to be all about the battles and nothing else, and if a character isn't fun in battles he/she is "poorly written" and "least interesting". So silly.

Sanji, Franky and Brook all have strictly non-combat related roles within the crew as well, but they still manage to kick ass about ten times more frequently than Nami. And what the hell did she do in Enies? Be a part of some shameful fanservice fight?

Also, Nami's nagging isn't a positive trait, Usopp fills the "voice of reason" role far better. The fact that attractive women in this series never seem to be portrayed as the type of goofballs who can contribute to that insanity makes them far less charismatic than the male characters. Oda seems very strict in his belief that beautiful women should not be physical fighters and should not be comic relief.

This series desperately needs a female crewmate who is just as madcap as the guys, someone who the audience can laugh at and be impressed by. A brash tomboy to contrast with Nami's traditional femininity and Robin's mature elegance.

Dugna

I think it's actually kinda better that Nami is the navigator, she quite literally is a huge key in even getting to One Piece now.

Also kinda good that Oda avoided going for cliches in anime like making the cook a girl or the doctor some sexy woman.

BatDan

Definitely. There are so many ridiculous posts in here. To some people, OP seem to be all about the battles and nothing else, and if a character isn't fun in battles he/she is "poorly written" and "least interesting". So silly.

I've seen that argument for Robin. Apparently her importance to the story's mythos, the truth of the Void Century & World Goverment, and her hilarious dark sense of humor is all "stupid"

I think it's actually kinda better that Nami is the navigator, she quite literally is a huge key in even getting to One Piece now.

Also kinda good that Oda avoided going for cliches in anime like making the cook a girl or the doctor some sexy woman.

Yeah. Any other media would make the archeologist character an Indiana Jones knock off.

That Nami designs isn't really good.

The axe looks silly heavy even compared to something fantastic like Mihawk's sword.

Then we have the cybernetics which thankfully became better by the time of Franky. That arm that stops before the shoulder would just be torn of at that point when she lifted the axe. Possibly the weight of it would cause very poor balance. And that one foot she would walk like dragging a ball and chain.

Really if you are doing a cyborg character it should be full body or an exoskeleton/power suit.

Dugna

Sanji, Franky and Brook all have strictly non-combat related roles within the crew as well, but they still manage to kick ass about ten times more frequently than Nami. And what the hell did she do in Enies? Be a part of some shameful fanservice fight?

Also, Nami's nagging isn't a positive trait, Usopp fills the "voice of reason" role far better. The fact that attractive women in this series never seem to be portrayed as the type of goofballs who can contribute to that insanity makes them far less charismatic than the male characters.

This series desperately needs a female crewmate who is just as madcap as the guys, someone who the audience can laugh at and be impressed by. A brash tomboy to contrast with Nami's traditional femininity and Robin's mature elegance.

She beat a person who has the strength of an army, by herself....yep totally "fanservice"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Nami isn't madcap? Have you ever seen her when money is involved? She becomes straight up insane any time she even hears the word "gold." Also, Robin is a case of eyeliner and some black lipstick away from being a depressing goth girl. Her personality is already incredibly dark, dunno where you're getting mature elegance from dude.

BatDan

Nami isn't madcap? Have you ever seen her when money is involved? She becomes straight up insane any time she even hears the word "gold." Also, Robin is a case of eyeliner and some black lipstick away from being a depressing goth girl. Her personality is already incredibly dark, dunno where you're getting mature elegance from dude.

And her freakouts too. She's almost like Beauty in Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo with her reactions to Luffy's insanity.

Robin also has an (pardon the choice of word) "immature" mind. When she saw Kuma, she thought of cats. When Luffy suggested the idea of Zoro & Usopp carrying them across the ocean in the middle of Punk Hazard, she imagined that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Robin's main character trait post water 7 is her complete and total lack of fear.

She's also very dark. Remember when Sanji met the guy who looked like his wanted poster? Her mind went straight to, "He's going to die an interesting death one day." That's some dark shit.

And her freakouts too. She's almost like Beauty in Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo with her reactions to Luffy's insanity.

Robin also has an (pardon the choice of word) "immature" mind. When she saw Kuma, she thought of cats. When Luffy suggested the idea of Zoro & Usopp carrying them across the ocean in the middle of Punk Hazard, she imagined that.

This is true as well.

Grexeno

The problems with Nami and Robin are over-sexualization and lack of real, substantial 1v1 fights. Yes, those do matter. They don't need to have as many fights as the Monster Trio, but god damn should they have more than just Robin's 1 and Nami's 2. One Piece is not exactly a shounen that's ignoring all the trappings of the genre. If you aren't winning 1v1 fights against real competition, readers are going to feel like you're sort of useless, even if you're the only reason the cast gets anywhere.

Seesaw15

I don't know about you but Oda's running joke that all the Women in One Piece stare blankly at Franky doing cool robot stuff is the funniest gag in the series.

Grexeno

When Franky transforms the Thousand Sunny into a giant mech in the final arcs, Robin and Nami wil continue just not giving a single fuck.

It's truly hilarious how different parts of the fandom think the Straw Hats need THIS kind of character to join or how they need THAT kind of character to join.

And I'm just over here chuckling at the squabbling.

BatDan

It's truly hilarious how different parts of the fandom think the Straw Hats need THIS kind of character to join or how they need THAT kind of character to join.

And I'm just over here chuckling at the squabbling.

I don't care who joins, I'm just along for the ride.

The problems with Nami and Robin are over-sexualization and lack of real, substantial 1v1 fights. Yes, those do matter. They don't need to have as many fights as the Monster Trio, but god damn should they have more than just Robin's 1 and Nami's 2. One Piece is not exactly a shounen that's ignoring all the trappings of the genre. If you aren't winning 1v1 fights against real competition, readers are going to feel like you're sort of useless, even if you're the only reason the cast gets anywhere.

This is why I'm glad I don't identify myself as a "manga reader".

smurfx

get some go again
rebecca's desire was to live together with the soldier toy. she found out he was really her father so i assume she would want to be together with him. she can totally accomplish this right now but instead she will become a pirate and leave her father behind? i see luffy going out and telling all the people that kyros is really rebecca's father and the king will then tell the truth and probably make kyros next in line to inherit the throne and not rebecca since she probably has no desire to be queen right now.

Chariot

I'm also laughing at the notion of a female Zoro clone joining.
You want more sausages or more damsels? Give me an actual female fighter for the team it has god knows enough male ones. And when while we're at it you could make her tanned or otherwise darkskinned, Oda should be able to afford the screentone now. A proud arabic warrior in not skimpy clothes.

Nightbird

Isn't it sad that Rebecca would become the strongest female Strawhat if she would join?

I mean, i know that Robins Power is more deadly, but she rarely uses it that way, so i kind of didn't counted that :$

Kornflayx

I kinda want a female version of Luffy. Someone who's going along with all the silly Usopp & Luffy humor and not just another girl who's too cool for the "silly robot stuff"

As much as I complain about Robin, I've always felt Nami was much better handled than her.

Nami's had several noteworthy fights against opponents that matter throughout the series, a job on the ship that actually gets portrayed in action quite frequently. (even if it sometimes takes the shape of explanation chapters, e.g. when submerging to fishman island)

I've also felt there's some subtle but fun elements to her portrayal, often characters in her particular "niche" (redhead "normal/low power" main girl) a frequent trait is for female characters (e.g. sakura towards rock lee) to show really unpleasant shallow reactions to the "weird males".
But throughout the series Nami has shown almost nothing but kinship towards Usopp. (logical, as he's essentially one of the few fellow "normals" in the crew) Whilst her rage/money hunger is mostly aimed towards guys like Zoro and Sanji.

Obviously there's a few issues to point out (e.g. her design being fairly generic, especially when we get characters like Rebecca flung at us who look like near-copies) & Oda pushing his female characters more towards fanservice over time.

But outright badly writen? I don't really see it.

(I do think Nami and Robin share a few unfortunate traits or implications & a few other girls in the series do as well. But that's a seperate discussion from Nami by herself)

Chariot

Why does every popular thing have to become the perfect representation of equality, morality etc. etc. ?
I doesn't have to be, I will still enjoy One Piece even if thirteen white dudes named Steve join the crew, but diversity wouldn't trouble anyone, aight?

If Rebecca joins the crew her position would probably be something like cabin girl/apprentice. Like Buggy/Shanks to Roger or Coby to Alvida. Maybe not the most empowering position probably she would just be in charge of carrying meat to Luffy.

Nami doesn't need to be a cyborg with a huge axe to be a good character. From the start she was shown as being very intelligent and resourceful with Luffy and Zoro being unable to get anywhere without her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom