• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a second boat and crew at this rate.

If we only get 1 character from this arc I almost want it to be Bellamy so future first time OP readers/watchers see him in all group shots, get to Jaya and go "oh hey now is when Bellamy joins... LOL WUT"

kurahador

Why is everyone so sure we're getting a new crewmate? I'm honestly expecting no one.

Because Oda has been teasing it, and make it sounds like it'll be in this arc.

I think the new crewmate will be Mansherry, and those dwarf will be more than happy to have her joining with someone like God Usopp.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Usopp still needs his 8000 followers... maybe this is the arc where he gets them.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Why is everyone so sure we're getting a new crewmate? I'm honestly expecting no one.

He did an interview a few weeks ago where he say there will definitely be more new nakama. And I think it's barto, he has just enough of a crazy personality to fit in, and his powers would be useful when you have to leave somebody on the sunny to watch/protect the ship.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He did an interview a few weeks ago where he say there will definitely be more new nakama. And I think it's barto, he has just enough of a crazy personality to fit in, and his powers would be useful when you have to leave somebody on the sunny to watch/protect the ship.

He's too big a fanboy, if Luffy invited him along he'd die right there.

Zeus Molecules

He's too big a fanboy, if Luffy invited him along he'd die right there.

It would be funny if you had barto squeal like a girl when dealing with Luffy and be a hardcore killer with everybody else. It would be like a male Hancock on the crew.

Then again Law is about to get the requisite "Sad Flashback" and is already an ally of the SH (plus he's been pretty funny playing the straight man to all the SH hijinks) so he is another possibility.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
...he's probably just talking about Jinbei, guys

smurfx

get some go again
i don't think barto has a shot in hell of joining. his gimmick is being a major fanboy and that shit would get old if that's all he did while on the ship. he's better off being a support character that we see once in a while. luffy is going to start building his coalition of pirates and barto will be one of the strongest. law will be the tsundere support character. i still think jimbei will be the final male crew member and bonney will be the final female member.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
It would be funny if you had barto squeal like a girl when dealing with Luffy and be a hardcore killer with everybody else. It would be like a male Hancock on the crew.

Then again Law is about to get the requisite "Sad Flashback" and is already an ally of the SH (plus he's been pretty funny playing the straight man to all the SH hijinks) so he is another possibility.

Law's crew are too well fleshed out to sidelined if Law's made a crewmate. I can see Law being essentially a fleet commander to the Straw Hats like the Whitebeard pirates. The Straw Hats really need to start pumping up the number of crewmates/crew-alliances as the end game will surely be Revolutionaries Vs. the World Government and the Blackbeard pirates.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
I feel like it has to be Bart... Where is he going to go after this arc? He won't stay behind on Dressrosa. I doubt he'll join any other pirates. He may join the revolutionary army, but I don't see him being ok with being that far from the straw hats.

Now if Law made the Heart Pirates part of the Straw Hat fleet after this arc, I could see him joining them. Otherwise I feel like he basically has to join the Staw Hats.

Though, maybe I'm just saying all that because I really like Bartolomeo

smurfx

get some go again
I feel like it has to be Bart... Where is he going to go after this arc? He won't stay behind on Dressrosa. I doubt he'll join any other pirates. He may join the revolutionary army, but I don't see him being ok with being that far from the straw hats.

Now if Law made the Heart Pirates part of the Straw Hat fleet after this arc, I could see him joining them. Otherwise I feel like he basically has to join the Staw Hats.
he has his own crew you know. remember the missionary gambia? the one that got his ass kicked by maynard? he was a member of his crew.

midramble

he has his own crew you know. remember the missionary gambia? the one that got his ass kicked by maynard? he was a member of his crew.

welp.... forgot about that... My entire theory goes out the window haha. I'm just enjoying the character far too much. Heck maybe all the pirate crews on Dressrosa join the Straw Hat Fleet after this (under their love for god usopp).

smurfx

get some go again
welp.... forgot about that... My entire theory goes out the window haha. I'm just enjoying the character far too much. Heck maybe all the pirate crews on Dressrosa join the Straw Hat Fleet after this (under their love for god usopp).
would be kinda fun if many of the strawhats had a ton of followers in the end. usopp would have his thousands of followers including giants from elbaf and sanji would have the okamas and maybe zoro would have followers from wano.

Zeus Molecules

Franky had a crew too, and Bar to seems like the type to ditch them anyhow.....especially considering none have been seen since Gambia.

midramble

would be kinda fun if many of the strawhats had a ton of followers in the end. usopp would have his thousands of followers including giants from elbaf and sanji would have the okamas and maybe zoro would have followers from wano.

I would love for OP to accelerate to that scale so quickly haha. Would make a nice change in formula for the series. Less single ship wondering and maybe more parties. I always love it when they get a new crew member though. The defining moment when they break down an join is always great. Robin's is my favorite thus far.

i don't think barto has a shot in hell of joining. his gimmick is being a major fanboy and that shit would get old if that's all he did while on the ship. he's better off being a support character that we see once in a while. luffy is going to start building his coalition of pirates and barto will be one of the strongest. law will be the tsundere support character. i still think jimbei will be the final male crew member and bonney will be the final female member.

Bonney? Her ability is too hax to be honest. I just expect her to be some key character at the end but i can't see her as a SH member.

Law isn't joining either; Another doctor? pirate captain? OP fruit? impossible tbh.

smurfx

get some go again
Bonney? Her ability is too hax to be honest. I just expect her to be some key character at the end but i can't see her as a SH member.

Law isn't joining either; Another doctor? pirate captain? OP fruit? impossible tbh.
they need a character like bonney to help fight all the fodder pirates from big pirate crews. her and robin could spend all of their time taking them out while the other strawhats get fights.

Welfare

Jinbei should make a surprise entrance and help Luffy kick Dofla's ass. Then he becomes the next crew mate.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Bonney? Her ability is too hax to be honest.

What, the ability to become a child? What's so great about that?

they need a character like bonney to help fight all the fodder pirates from big pirate crews. her and robin could spend all of their time taking them out while the other strawhats get fights.

How does Bonney even fight? Robin's ability has plenty of combat potential, what good does turning into a kid do Bonney?

Dugna

What, the ability to become a child? What's so great about that?

How does Bonney even fight? Robin's ability has plenty of combat potential, what good does turning into a kid do Bonney?

Her Devil Fruit allows age manipulation meaning she can turn a huge group of enemies into small useless children or turn them into almost dead old people. That's pretty damn good if used right.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Her Devil Fruit allows age manipulation meaning she can turn a huge group of enemies into small useless children or turn them into almost dead old people. That's pretty damn good if used right.

Oh right she can do it to other people can't she. WELP.

smurfx

get some go again
Oh right she can do it to other people can't she. WELP.
either they get somebody like bonney who can take out big groups of enemies at a time or they team up with a pirate crew every arc which would get kinda dull. we already have a ton of complaints about the past couple of arcs being too long. teaming up with other people would make things take too long as they would need to get attention and it would also take development away from the other strawhat members.

So we'd have Robin as a fodder fighter? That character has so much potential as we've already seen.
And it'd be awful to have bonney reduce the numbers every damn time you have fights against other crews, it's comparable to Oda deciding Luffy will be using his Haoshoku Haki every time just to trim down fodder and accelerate things...

It's cheap, IMO.

I kinda see Bartolomeo, though. His Barriers would be useful to protect the Sunny (you know, the ship has to resist the whole journey ahead, and it's becoming quite weird that it never gets hit or has minor damages with the fights, (comparing to what Merry suffered). At least with a character dedicated to that you can have an explanation to the lack of damages.

Grudy

I don't think anyone is gonna join. I was convinced by that when I saw one of Oda's very early sketches for what the crew will be like and if I remember correctly, the crew is complete.

I think Oda already has his hands full with 9 characters and wants to focus more on building the strawhats allies instead.

true

Another thing I am wondering about is that maybe Fujitora doesn't have a devil fruit in him but rather his sword is one of the great cursed swords like Zoro's Wano blade

Unless of course they mentioned that he does indeed have a devil fruit ability (in which case I likely missed)

Korosenai

true

Another thing I am wondering about is that maybe Fujitora doesn't have a devil fruit in him but rather his sword is one of the great cursed swords like Zoro's Wano blade

Unless of course they mentioned that he does indeed have a devil fruit ability (in which case I likely missed)
They haven't said yet, but its obvious his sword is whats doing it. Either somehow his sword ate a gravity fruit, or its cursed like you said.

Dugna

I kinda see Bartolomeo, though. His Barriers would be useful to protect the Sunny (you know, the ship has to resist the whole journey ahead, and it's becoming quite weird that it never gets hit or has minor damages with the fights, (comparing to what Merry suffered). At least with a character dedicated to that you can have an explanation to the lack of damages.

Adam tree wood solved all the problems of ship damage by anything miniscule like cannon fire or gun fire, only thing that would be able to seriously damage Sunny now is if somebody of rank Warlord or higher attacked it head on.

I thought that all these funky devil fruit experiments only happened with zoan type powers.

But the admirals sword could be famous or cursed I guess. That would just mean that it was a sword that would be recognised by an expert and was of unusually high quality. If cursed it would imply that person using it thought they were bigger than the curse.

Sword styles can have some unusual effects. Kin'emon is able to manipulate fire and Brook ice although those don't seem to be devil fruits.

Dugna

I thought that all these funky devil fruit experiments only happened with zoan type powers.

But the admirals sword could be famous or cursed I guess. That would just mean that it was a sword that would be recognised by an expert and was of unusually high quality. If cursed it would imply that person using it thought they were bigger than the curse.

Sword styles can have some unusual effects. Kin'emon is able to manipulate fire and Brook ice although those don't seem to be devil fruits.

While I cannot explain Kin'emon's power with his abilites I think I sorta can with Brook's "Soul Solid" Soul Solid The power that freezes enemies is considered part of his Devil Fruit powers because he direct his soul onto the sword and create a chilling effect. Notice that before the timeskip while yes the sword would cut people silently and such because that's his type of sword play it didn't freeze them.

Vice

His lies do end up being true. The start of his 8K strong army.

Dugna

His lies do end up being true. The start of his 8K strong army.

Woah...didn't even think of that...he might actually have his personal army at the end of the show. Just imagine returning to Syrup Village after that it would be great.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Woah...didn't even think of that...he might actually have his personal army at the end of the show. Just imagine returning to Syrup Village after that it would be great.

His stories wouldn't have to change much and everyone would still think he's lying.

While I cannot explain Kin'emon's power with his abilites I think I sorta can with Brook's "Soul Solid" Soul Solid The power that freezes enemies is considered part of his Devil Fruit powers because he direct his soul onto the sword and create a chilling effect. Notice that before the timeskip while yes the sword would cut people silently and such because that's his type of sword play it didn't freeze them.

I'm not so sure that Brook understands how his freeze effect works as when Kin'emon used his and explained it both Brook an Zoro were pretty impressed but Brook seemed to understand or accept what happened less.

Brook had an impressive sword style before the skip but it was impressive despite not relying on his devil fruit power or haki.

I think that Zoro may be more understanding because his sword style was taught to him as being able to cut rocks and steel and he uses attacks that hit like cannonballs.

Dugna

I'm not so sure that Brook understands how his freeze effect works as when Kin'emon used his and explained it both Brook an Zoro were pretty impressed but Brook seemed to understand or accept what happened less.

Brook had an impressive sword style before the skip but it was impressive despite not relying on his devil fruit power or haki.

I think that Zoro may be more understanding because his sword style was taught to him as being able to cut rocks and steel and he uses attacks that hit like cannonballs.

"Kasuriuta: Fubuki Giri" that move proves he understand that his Devil Fruit is enhancing his swordsmanship by freezing his opponent on the fishman island even before and after that battle showing that he learned alot more his Devil Fruit abilities over the 2 years. Whether or not he understood Kin'emon's explantion doesn't mean much because while he understands his very well he could easily not understand Kin's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom