• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akito

You can buy this actually cause it's the officially colored version of the manga that's being sold digitally in Japan. They're doing this to many other series, like DB and JoJo.
It looks like poop in my opinion.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wait, is that the official coloring or a fan-version?
Cause I recall the official coloring not looking that good.

I'm use to it since I have to deal with Toriko and other translation mix ups

which are many... unfortunately
Viz__________Non Viz
Queen instead of Quinn

Froese instead of Frohze

Brunch instead of Branchi

etc....

Zolo and Zorro did indeed confuse me long ago... I prefer Zoro still

BatDan

Spoiler info from 657 (it's not much)

Law has been freed. Kyros attacks Diamante and it looks awesome. Rebecca is okay.

On the different Toriko spellings:
The only one I'll give them is Brunch, since this is a manga about food.

Plus, Shimabukuro has yet to write most of the names in English. Where as Oda has written Zoro in English countless times. Thank you Wanted posters.

Of course, there's still a few One Piece names that need official spellings from Oda (looking at you Enel/Eneru)

robox

progress!

1. do we really need to know the limitations of barto's power? is that relevant to any plotline? seems like a technical tidbit. and panels used to show and explain it could be better used to show more relevant plot advancements.

2. how far in advance did oda plan out law? corazon - heart seat - heart pirates
i just keep believing that the supernova guys were created as filler chracters, that they were not part of the original story plan. law being more fleshed out than the others, and also most popular as well, with a design that's destined to be.

3. on the plus side, robin's mano-handling the situation quite handily

progress!

1. do we really need to know the limitations of barto's power? is that relevant to any plotline? seems like a technical tidbit. and panels used to show and explain it could be better used to show more relevant plot advancements.

2. how far in advance did oda plan out law? corazon - heart seat - heart pirates
i just keep believing that the supernova guys were created as filler chracters, that they were not part of the original story plan. law being more fleshed out than the others, and also most popular as well, with a design that's destined to be.

We needed to know Bartolomeos power limitations. Supernovas were not fillers, though Oda said he designed them fairly quickly.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
progress!

I'm all right with them exploring barto's limits since he was a little to OP before. So its going to be law and Luffy vs. Doffy. Cool, I'm really liking the decision of have multiple characters fight one boss, I don't think we've seen that since the supernovas vs the pacifistas and Borsalino.

BatDan

Hype! Law is out and ready to kick ass!

This wasn't the first time we heard a limit on Bartolomeo's ability. When Pica tried to punch them as a giant statue, he shouted that he can't make a barrier that big.
Still, it's good that they explained his limits.

robox

i recall they explained the limitations of buggy's powers, about how far each piece can be separated. so it's not unprecedented

it does preemptively prevent ridiculous hypothetical situations. i have a friend who likes to say that blueno can just air-door to one piece and win the game.

still i'm more about plot than anything else. like, i don't care too much about how fights progress, so these kinda things seems a bit unnecessary to me. there's a lot going on, and a lot to get through; so i feel these kinda details can be sacrificed.

BatDan

i recall they explained the limitations of buggy's powers, about how far each piece can be separated. so it's not unprecedented

it does preemptively prevent ridiculous hypothetical situations. i have a friend who likes to say that blueno can just air-door to one piece and win the game.

still i'm more about plot than anything else. like, i don't care too much about how fights progress, so these kinda things seems a bit unnecessary to me. there's a lot going on, and a lot to get through; so i feel these kinda details can be sacrificed.

I'm glad he takes time to explain the intricacies of certain powers. Otherwise we'll hear endless complaining about characters being too OP.

KageZero

I finally hope now things will start to move just forward. In my opinion this part of manga took too much time with a lot of characters with side stories and it created a lot of question regarding everyone fighting abilities especially the strawhats. Also i want to see sanji again, it has been a year since he was last shown, i hope it won't be a dumb way they manage to escape/destroy big moms ship like the planted bomb

daveo42

Banned

Yeah, it seems more like the fights are getting the back burner this arc since a lot of it has been more focused on getting back to DF. While it sucks not really getting to see each of the SH go all out each chapter, I'm fine with it because it keeps the current story moving while still giving you shots of what's happening elsewhere. I wonder if Oda will give the writers more info on the fights for the anime, as those would be great filler opportunity but still technically be canon.

As for abilities, glad to see that there are limits explained for some of what could be considered OP powers and that those limits make sense. The Buggy example is perfect, otherwise he'd be able to call back his body parts at any time rather than loose them like he did early in the series. As for Bleuno, I think his is based on having line of sight to where the door is created.

All around good chapter and nice to see things progressing.

I don't see Bartolomeo joining the crew but I decided that I really like him and I want him to stick around. I've been wondering if the Strawhats will end up with a fleet like many of the other large pirates. It feels like it might make things a bit complicated but I could see a strawhat second division and I think Bartolomeo should be in charge of it. Whatever keeps him around.

robox

i can see the argument for explaining limits. like in superhero comics, where powers fairly unrestricted, and up to a new writer's interpretation, anybody can be the greatest hero ever, when their powers are pushed to the limit. but it's not as big a problem in manga, where there's only 1 writer and whatever is written is canon and everything else is just fan imagination. when things get out of hand, then it's the writer to blame for being too lax.
like jojo.

basically, i don't give a shit about xx vs yy discussions, except for purely entertainment purposes

daveo42

Banned
Bartolomeo is the reader's avatar. :3

Pretty much. I think I make those faces every time I read One Piece.

I don't see Bart as a one-off character. He'll definitely be kept around for something.

I want a cover arc that is just about Bart following the SHs around from the shadows gushing over them and getting into trouble for doing so. It's be fun.

I really don't want him as the new crew mate.

cntr

Banned
I don't see Bartolomeo joining the crew but I decided that I really like him and I want him to stick around. I've been wondering if the Strawhats will end up with a fleet like many of the other large pirates. It feels like it might make things a bit complicated but I could see a strawhat second division and I think Bartolomeo should be in charge of it. Whatever keeps him around.

My prediction is that the second to last arc will be about finding One Piece itself, and that the final arc will mirror the Marineford arc -- except instead of Whitebeard's crew and allies, it'll be every one of the Strawhat's allies they've met during their journey, all working to bring down the World Government.

aechris

First thing I thought of when they introduced Bart's limits was that they were setting him up for new crew. I don't believe he will be (yet) but it absolutely opens a door, I think. If he isn't OP as fuck like everyone expected, he'd be useful to the Strawhats, but not broken.

I think this chap killed any chance of Rebecca joining, as well (thank god). Kyros dropping "you won't have to fight anymore" tells me she is a princess once this is all over.

xbgamer

Banned
I don't like the idea of the straw hats getting really big, I much prefer the idea of them having sub crews. Law's crew could be one, Hancock's crew too, Bart's crew could be another, and maybe even Bellamy and his old crew. The only person who I think should join the straw hats proper is Jinbe.

BatDan

I don't like the idea of the straw hats getting really big, I much prefer the idea of them having sub crews. Law's crew could be one, Hancock's crew too, Bart's crew could be another, and maybe even Bellamy and his old crew. The only person who I think should join the straw hats proper is Jinbe.

Luffy said at the end of the very first chapter that he wanted a crew of 10. Whether that includes him or not is unknown.
Though this was also when Oda had planned for One Piece to only run 5 years, as opposed to 17+ (one more year and the series is legal).

Fucking amazing chapter. I'm really surprised by Robin's intervention...

Loved Bartholomeo here too, i really hope he joins the crew!

Dugna

speaking of crew members didn't Luffy state he wanted basically only enough members to cover every role he found necessary. I know they joke about Luffy adding anything interesting to his crew like in Thriller Bark but he definitely has a set plan.

todd360

What if Rebecca ended up joining. Even after that you don't have to fight anymore line. It would be straight up trolling.

Jigolo

What if Rebecca ended up joining. Even after that you don't have to fight anymore line. It would be straight up trolling.
Rebecca and Bart for next Straw hats. They will need the help when they have to rescue Sanji and company from Big Mom

Raxus

Bartolomeo needs to be a nakama.

He did have a dream of meeting all the Straw Hats ;P

Trollda will probably strike again ala Nico Robin this arc as well as he adds someone completely different.

Speaking of nakama where the f is Jimbei? He is taking his sweet time helping the cat fish.

I am also happy Nico Robin seems to finally be getting a fight. Bartolomeo and Nico Robin are a pretty OP duo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom