• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syntsui

It boggles my mind that we still have to discuss Jimbei joining them. He is already a member, period, end of discussion, it's settled, it's over, just stop.

He was doing something personal that he had to settle and is already going after Luffy to join him and the crew, as we saw on the cover stories that ARE canon.

smurfx

get some go again
jimbei has to join before luffy takes on kaido. luffy will need all the strength he can get on his side. i'm not sure the people on dressrosa will join him in his next fight. maybe barto will join but i'm not sure about the others. i wonder what happened to the remnants of whitebeards crew. maybe marco took over and is going to help luffy take on kaido as it would also help him gain power.

Anyone else excited for the One Piece Kabuki play?

8b8cf55bced12ec3f77820a1438e3a2b1438063364_full.jpg

sv1vfhpqqr2o3mv1yrvo.jpg

o1IuwL7.jpg

Kumadori would be proud.

jimbei has to join before luffy takes on kaido. luffy will need all the strength he can get on his side. i'm not sure the people on dressrosa will join him in his next fight. maybe barto will join but i'm not sure about the others. i wonder what happened to the remnants of whitebeards crew. maybe marco took over and is going to help luffy take on kaido as it would also help him gain power.

Marco was the first division commander so it would be logical for him to take on the responsibility as captain. Only other thing I can think of that could have happened is that the whitebeard pirates disbanded, but I don't think this is likely.

I don't think we'll see anyone from Dressrosa in the next arc, maybe in a later arc, but Oda will want to introduce new characters. The only exceptions i can see to this are bart or cavendish, but even if they show up in the next arc I don't think they'll have too much screentime.

Jinbe will either already be on wano when they get there, or will show up when they need him the most, calling it.

Anyone else excited for the One Piece Kabuki play?

Kumadori would be proud.

that luffy looks weird
the artwork is cool though
yoyoiii

Big One

Banned
Yeah it's pretty obvious Jinbe is the 10th member. Oda foreshadowed it with the kid with the 10 on his t-shirt in his cover story, and Jinbe already stated he would take Luffy's offer after he took care of some business.

As I said before I think Wano arc will be perfect for Jinbe to join due to the Japanese theme of that setting and everyone probably going to be wearing Japanese style clothes and whatnot anyway. Plus maybe Jinbe's tragic backstory could be placed here.

I think they're going to Zou first kind of like Punk Hazard before they hit Wano though. Maybe another island as well. Maybe on Zou Luffy will find out Kaido's plans of killing Shanks, and he goes after him in Wano (Kaido also has a Japanese theme to him as well, so it should fit nicely here).

The entire crew was planned before the manga started. Not to be confused with his early crew sketch with no Robin and the little Fishman carpenter.

Vivi was never going to join in the sense that we know it. She was a bad guy and at the very very last second, Oda went on record in saying that he thought it would be more interesting if she was a princess involved heavily with the Buroque Works saga. Just look at how she flipped after trying to kill Laboon. That isn't to say she doesn't count because she does, just differently. She is crewmate 6.5. Again all from SBS's and interviews.

Barto is not joining. He has his own crew who he has traveled with from the East Blue to the New World. We saw one member with very little panel time. If we saw more, fleshing them out giving us hints that they would want him to leave and join the Straw Hats then that would be something. It doesn't have to be that specific but the followers of Franky, Usopp and Jinbe are in a completely different boat. He is not leaving his crew behind to join Lufffy, not without major build up first. Not to mention Bartolomeo has been established as the comic foil to Cavandish. They are 2 sides of the same coin who will ultimately be the leading commanders on Luffy's side in the final world war. Barto and Cavendish are Zoro and Sanji with a different kind of support role. I guarantee you!

Jinbe is next or the 9th person at least, which would make him the 10th Straw Hat. Like the picture posted above that was one of 2 times Oda did that. Roughly 3 years after Jinbe said he would join the Straw Hats. It was just another reminder for fans who pay close enough attention. There are no ifs, ands or buts about it, Jinbe is the 10th straw hat even if he isn't the next one to join. What I mean by that is Nami didn't officially join before Sanji and Usopp but later got her 2nd person chapter.

There will be at least one more member after that giving Luffy his 10 men and Oda his soccer team. They will join in succession much like the early days of One Piece or even Franky to Brook.

Joke post? It's pretty obvious Rebecca's joining next, and if not her, Viola.

Kidding, you're 100% correct.

In my opinion, Jinbei either absolutely joins or he absolutely dies.
Indeed...don't think he will die though.

I actually don't care too much about new members though, just miss Boa and want more details on the 2 year skip with the trio.

Zoro lost his f'n eyeball and Sanji had to cope with his own "hell"...Luffy at least got a little time, hopefully law will teach him to control his Haki better, he mentioned Gear 4 uses too much of it.

MCD

Indeed...don't think he will die though.

I actually don't care too much about new members though, just miss Boa and want more details on the 2 year skip with the trio.

Zoro lost his f'n eyeball and Sanji had to cope with his own "hell"...Luffy at least got a little time, hopefully law will teach him to control his Haki better, he mentioned Gear 4 uses too much of it.

The worst thing about One Piece is the lack of interaction between the strawhats. All this crazy action is killing some good family time.

Vivi and Jinbe are both already pretty much Straw Hats but only one of them is planning to join the crew. But I'm not sure what role Jinbe would have. He's a very serious character and is known for being one of the more honourable fighters in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if he became some sort of ambassador for the Straw Hats and disappeared for long periods of time.

Acrylic7

Man Oda is one of the best of all time when it comes to illustration and color.
That shit makes me jelly.

No Jump this week :mad:

So, did you heard about that 2chan "Leak"?

Here's the screenshot of it.
BBX5mbd.png

Definetly could be altered, the guy said he couldn't post directly to the link since the archive on 2ch goes back to only August 2009. StrawHats were in Saboady IN the anime. In the manga Straw Hats were already separated & Luffy was in Impel Down. This leak really can't be real. This person would HAVE to know about Sabo which I just don't see it happening.

Other people who claimed they saw the post are also lying. Kaidou being a suicidal man cause he lost his son & he has a daughter was just made up. Luffy getting captured & a retread to Impel Down to pick him up & Bon Clay was also a lie.

If anyone still wants to believe I don't know if the translation is blackbeard with fight THE marines & Win, or blackbeard with fight A marine & win.

RomanceDawn

I think the Otohime and Tiger flashbacks probably count as Jinbe's tragic backstory.

Yeah that was definitely a HUGE part of Jinbe's story by there is absolutely more that will flesh him out and make it even more personal if you can believe it. A few hints we might have is Oda talking about Tiger's raid into Mariejois twice and still not showing it but especially Jinbe's scar. All throughout the flash back it was deliberately missing, I'm certain what ever caused it will give us more insight into his past and dream. Then there is the Fishman Karate dojo that was promised and never shown. The closest we got to that was an SBS drawing of young Jinbe in training.

In my opinion, Jinbei either absolutely joins or he absolutely dies.

That's a pretty strong statement for One Piece [laughs]. He has absolutely inherited the wills of Otohime and Tiger, he will see their integrated world one day.

It boggles my mind that we still have to discuss Jimbei joining them. He is already a member, period, end of discussion, it's settled, it's over, just stop.

He was doing something personal that he had to settle and is already going after Luffy to join him and the crew, as we saw on the cover stories that ARE canon.

You are correct sir but Jinbe was most definitely sailing towards Big Mom first. That business he has to take care of will probably be a major story point in and of its self. If he is all done and already waiting at some island I would flip my ship!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Jinbe is probably going to reappear after Dressrosa. We already saw him heading to his friends and finding a poneglyph. And without a vivrecard for Luffy, there is no way for Jinbe to know where Luffy is if he doesn't catch him while he's still at Dressrosa.

Unless Jinbe's friends met the Fishmen Pirates who allegedly exist. If so, then Jinbe probably won't be appearing for a long while. But either way, Jinbe won't just be waiting for Luffy at some island because he has no idea where Luffy is going to.

Kornflayx

Just one epic panel with Jinbei at the end of a chapter like "I'm ready." would make me fangasm to the Fairy Vearth and back.

Maybe Barto's plan to escape from the Navy fails and then BOOM Jimbei shows up with his posse of whale sharks and helps them escape. Could be a nice callback to Impel Down

IHaveIce

Banned
Maybe Barto's plan to escape from the Navy fails and then BOOM Jimbei shows up with his posse of whale sharks and helps them escape. Could be a nice callback to Impel Down
Man I can see it.

The close following Marine ship suddenly is destroyed and from the water a large whale shark emerges, on the back Jinbei in a strike pose, water splashing around him, he looks angry, eyes are hidden by a shadow and then only one text bubble: "asking to be allowed to get on board, captain luffy."

Nightbird

Man I can see it.

The close following Marine ship suddenly is destroyed and from the water a large whale shark emerges, on the back Jinbei in a strike pose, water splashing around him, he looks angry, eyes are hidden by a shadow and then only one text bubble: "asking to be allowed to get on board, captain luffy."

That would be hype

smurfx

get some go again
I believe Oda is planning to wrap up the arc by next chapter. I doubt we'll see Jimbei making an appearance at Dressrosa when he could be saved for Zou.
if jimbei shows up he will probably end up at the island sanji and the others are at. they will probably end up encountering some powerful fighters and jimbei will probably lead them.

Is Oda trying to coordinate something special for chapter 800 like the crew coming back together? 600 was the end of paradise and 700 was the start of the Dressrosa arc so he is probably letting that set the pace.

RomanceDawn

Is Oda trying to coordinate something special for chapter 800 like the crew coming back together? 600 was the end of paradise and 700 was the start of the Dressrosa arc so he is probably letting that set the pace.

It certainly seems like it but who can say for sure? Sometimes we get some sort of obvious mile stone and other times these 100 chapters are just in the middle of an arc.

Kornflayx

Everyone knows that Oda is great at writing those goddamn flashbacks that mess you up emotionally. But having just read Enies Lobby, the burning of the Merry Go always fucks me up the most. Absolutely masterful writing

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Everyone knows that Oda is great at writing those goddamn flashbacks that mess you up emotionally. But having just read Enies Lobby, the burning of the Merry Go always fucks me up the most. Absolutely masterful writing

Going Merry's funeral always hits me. Always.

RomanceDawn

why have we not seen doflamingo's face yet??

It's possible that Oda just won't want to show it. When the marines were binding him up that wrapped his face in like a bandage or something. Maybe to help with his injuries, I don't know, but it was a deliberate move by Oda to keep his face concealed.

I hope we get a follow up scene with him later on in prison or something giving us that facial reveal. The one eye we got just isn't enough.

Interesting tidbit regarding Jinbei and the '10'.

If you look at some of the chapters where new crewmembers come aboard, it has their number in the chapter title.

So for Brook, it was "The 8th Member" and for Franky/Usopp at Water 7 "The 3rd and the 7th".

Basically, if Jinbei is the 10th member, someone else will be joining before he does since Brook was the 8th person to join.

If you look at some of the chapters where new crewmembers come aboard, it has their number in the chapter title.

So for Brook, it was "The 8th Member" and for Franky/Usopp at Water 7 "The 3rd and the 7th".

Basically, if Jinbei is the 10th member, someone else will be joining before he does since Brook was the 8th person to join.

This only works if you don't count Luffy as the first and founding member.

Jinbe will be the 9th person to join the Strawhats, but will be the 10th member of the crew.

Alternatively you could interpret the '10' sign to mean he will be the 10th person to join the crew, in which case you would be correct.

Personally I think it's the former.

edit: I misread your post. This may hold some weight to it. Do you have links to the chapter covers?

RomanceDawn

I know exactly what you are thinking but allow me to elaborate on that.

Zoro is the 1st person, Brook is the 8th person and so on. They are the Xth person to join but that isn't the number that Oda has assigned them. In an SBS and some other interview Oda has gone on record saying that Luffy is represented by the number 1, Zoro 2, Nami 3, Usopp 4, Sanji 5, Chopper 6, Robin 7, Franky 8 and then Brook 9. Many color spreads depict the Straw Hats with these numbers.

IsJmKCL.jpg

There are a ton of these but this is probably the best and easiest example. Some color spreads only show the numbers on some crew mates and not others. It would take me forever to find the SBS.

Because of where Jinbe came into the story, even if someone were to join before him he would still be the 9th Person for sure and 10th over all. As apposed to the 10th Person and 11th over all. My reasoning comes from Nami. Luffy had whole heartedly accepted her into the crew right after Zoro. Though she left and was later recruited officially after Usopp and Sanji, she still has her 2nd Person chapter during Arlong Park. Jinbe has already had 3 big Adventures with Luffy and was asked to join, when ever that happens, even if it's after some one else he'll be the 9th Person/10th member over all.

Edit: Actually I don't think I know what I'm talking about because I can't find Nami's 2nd person chapter anywhere.

Edit: Wait I do know what I'm talking about! Chapter 94 is The 2nd Person. VIZ interpreted it as something else and used some creative freedom and titled it The Other Villain. Who's the other villain? Nezumi?

I don't see Dressrosa being wrapped up in just one more chapter.
It could easily be done. Everyone is already on the move and both the dwarves and the coliseum fighters have something up their sleeves to aid in the crew's escape.

if jimbei shows up he will probably end up at the island sanji and the others are at. they will probably end up encountering some powerful fighters and jimbei will probably lead them.

This is also possible. Maybe he'll see Big Mom's ship off the coast of Zou and embark with the incentive of cutting all ties with Big Mom, but then Jimbei notices that Sanji and the others are evading Big Mom and comes in to help.
Or maybe he'll go to Whole Cake Island right as the Tea Party is starting.

RomanceDawn

It could easily be done. Everyone is already on the move and both the dwarves and the coliseum fighters have something up their sleeves to aid in the crew's escape.

This is also possible. Maybe he'll see Big Mom's ship off the coast of Zou and embark with the incentive of cutting all ties with Big Mom, but then Jimbei notices that Sanji and the others are evading Big Mom and comes in to help.
Or maybe he'll go to Whole Cake Island right as the Tea Party is starting.

I'm pretty sure this is the case. Only by this point the Tea Party has already started and could be over by now. Of course it could be multiple days but as far as the current timeline is concerned it has already begun. We'll get a flash back on it for sure.

I imagine with no Fishman Island sweets, plus a treasure bomb, plus Jinbe wanting to join the crew that caused all of that will cause Big Mom to go ape ship bananas beating him nearly to death and casting him out into the sea to die.

I know exactly what you are thinking but allow me to elaborate on that.

Zoro is the 1st person, Brook is the 8th person and so on. They are the Xth person to join but that isn't the number that Oda has assigned them. In an SBS and some other interview Oda has gone on record saying that Luffy is represented by the number 1, Zoro 2, Nami 3, Usopp 4, Sanji 5, Chopper 6, Robin 7, Franky 8 and then Brook 9. Many color spreads depict the Straw Hats with these numbers.

IsJmKCL.jpg

There are a ton of these but this is probably the best and easiest example. Some color spreads only show the numbers on some crew mates and not others. It would take me forever to find the SBS.

Because of where Jinbe came into the story, even if someone were to join before him he would still be the 9th Person for sure and 10th over all. As apposed to the 10th Person and 11th over all. My reasoning comes from Nami. Luffy had whole heartedly accepted her into the crew right after Zoro. Though she left and was later recruited officially after Usopp and Sanji, she still has her 2nd Person chapter during Arlong Park. Jinbe has already had 3 big Adventures with Luffy and was asked to join, when ever that happens, even if it's after some one else he'll be the 9th Person/10th member over all.

Edit: Actually I don't think I know what I'm talking about because I can't find Nami's 2nd person chapter anywhere.

Edit: Wait I do know what I'm talking about! Chapter 94 is The 2nd Person. VIZ interpreted it as something else and used some creative freedom and titled it The Other Villain. Who's the other villain? Nezumi?
Wait, but if you're saying Nami is No.2, isn't that proving my point?

Otherwise Jinbe would be 9 by your logic of Luffy already inviting him into the crew/having adventures with him before he actually joins.

Squishy3

Wait, but if you're saying Nami is No.2, isn't that proving my point?

Otherwise Jinbe would be 9 by your logic of Luffy already inviting him into the crew/having adventures with him before he actually joins.
He's referring to the chapters where they join, where Luffy is not taken into consideration when numbering the crew members, but he's numbered as the first crew member when they're numbered in other spreads. (chapter 82 for example, in the vertical spread Nami is labeled as crew member three despite Sanji having been officially inducted into the crew before Nami is, otherwise with your logic Usopp would be the third and Sanji would be the 4th)

So when Jinbe joins he'll be the 9th member, even if he's officially inducted after somebody else.

He's referring to the chapters where they join, where Luffy is not taken into consideration when numbering the crew members, but he's numbered as the first crew member when they're numbered in other spreads. (chapter 82 for example, in the vertical spread Nami is labeled as crew member three despite Sanji having been officially inducted into the crew before Nami is, otherwise with your logic Usopp would be the third and Sanji would be the 4th)

So when Jinbe joins he'll be the 9th member, even if he's officially inducted after somebody else.

Ah, I get it now. But just for reference, this is why I thought Jinbe would be the 10th member and 11th overall. These are the chapter titles.

006-The First Person: Zoro

68-The Fourth Person: Sanji

94-The Second Person: Nami

439-The Third and the Seventh: Usopp and Franky

489-The Eighth: Brook

So if we go by this, then Jinbe being 10 would be after the next member, but since Luffy already invited him then the 10 means he is the 10th overall ala Nami.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Everything about this picture is great. Franky even has his only good hairstyle in it.

Also, sorry to do this, but I was just thinking that despite One Piece not having romance really be a thing, everyone pretty much has the perfect partner lined up for them.

Luffy/Hancock
Nami/Usopp
Robin/Franky
Zoro/Tashigi
Sanji/Bonney

And now Chopper even has a female reindeer... thing. Brooke is kind of beyond that now.

I'm sorry, the Naruto thread has infected me

Also, Pirate Warriors 3 comes out in a week or so. :D

God Usopp/Everyone
Kaya

Plus your wrong about Nami. Nami has tangerines/money.
True, I forgot Kaya even existed.

The only shipping I want to see being discussed is how to maintain the Thousand Sunny. :p

I'm pretty sure this is the case. Only by this point the Tea Party has already started and could be over by now. Of course it could be multiple days but as far as the current timeline is concerned it has already begun. We'll get a flash back on it for sure.

I imagine with no Fishman Island sweets, plus a treasure bomb, plus Jinbe wanting to join the crew that caused all of that will cause Big Mom to go ape ship bananas beating him nearly to death and casting him out into the sea to die.

I don't think we'll see it in a flashback. We'll probably see the party play out in real-time. For all we know, it could be morning or late morning in Dressrosa right now, and the Tea Party could be in the afternoon or early evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom