• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seesaw15

There are no female fishmen, they're all mermaids.

Octopako_Digitally_Colored_Manga.png

Hmmm...guess I'm the only one that instantly fell in love with Boa and wanted her to join the crew. IMO she fits Oda's writing style for women but would certainly have meaningful fights. It's likely too late for her to join now I guess, but would have been an interesting dynamic. Even if she becomes an ally, I can't remember a time when Boa is in and I'm not chuckling. One of Oda's best characters IMO.

Kornflayx

Being a crewmate is going to be less important for screentime anyway, because I think most of the big opponents will be dealt with in groups with their allies.

Squishy3

Boa won't become a crewmate but it's clear when shit actually goes down she'll stop sneakily aiding Luffy and will side with him out in the open

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Oh my god why are we talking about new crewmates still aaaaaaaa!!!!!

I hope the sunny sinks and kills the whole crew and the manga ends next week.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Ah okay, it kind of sounded as though you meant permanent member. I don't consider any temporary companion to pe a part of Luffy's crew, really. Yeah, Bellamy could defiintely stick around for an arc, I think so too, but there's no way he could become a crew member.
Even Vivi? :(

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
My vote is for a Kairoseki-Crusted Goldfish to eat the crew, which then dies shortly after and sinks to the very bottom of the ocean. The manga then becomes a slice of life comedy of a ragtag bunch of pirates living at the bottom of the ocean, inside a Goldfish (re: Mind Game). They are not close to Fishman Island.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my god why are we talking about new crewmates still aaaaaaaa!!!!!

I hope the sunny sinks and kills the whole crew and the manga ends next week.

Yeah but you'll have to wait a week longer
I'm pretty sure there is no Jump this week.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
My vote is for a Kairoseki-Crusted Goldfish to eat the crew, which then dies shortly after and sinks to the very bottom of the ocean. The manga then becomes a slice of life comedy of a ragtag bunch of pirates living at the bottom of the ocean, inside a Goldfish (re: Mind Game). They are not close to Fishman Island.

Who will be the next one to get eaten by a fish and sink to the bottom of the ocean and land next to this fish so they can crawl into the other fish???

Yeah but you'll have to wait a week longer
I'm pretty sure there is no Jump this week.

I know it's why I said next week not this week ;_;

Even Vivi? :(

Yeah. I love Vivi and she's a very close friend to the straw hats, and they traveled together for a while and bonded, and the mark on their arm also served to show that they were united, but she was never a real crew member. Again, I really like her, this is just me being unnecessarily technical as usual, lol.

GaimeGuy

Yeah. I love Vivi and she's a very close friend to the straw hats, and they traveled together for a while and bonded, and the mark on their arm also served to show that they were united, but she was never a real crew member. Again, I really like her, this is just me being unnecessarily technical as usual, lol.

YOU ARE DEAD TO ME :(

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Vivi should have joined.

I liked Vivi a lot :(

KtSlime

You take that back. Vivi is awesome and is a true straw hat. She'll be back some day, just you see.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I've noticed the 16 year old princesses (Vivi, Shirahoshi, Rebecca) are hated overseas, but very popular in Japan.

Must be a culture thing.

Vivi was fine when she wasn't yelling.

It was probably for the best that she didn't join. I can't think of what she could have really contributed to the crew.

Jay RaR

Yeah, I kind of like Vivi but I'm struggling to remember any significant thing she's done. I would like to see how she'd react with Brook in the crew now (reminding me I need to see the Drum Kingdom remake movie).

I wish I could've seen how the internet reacted to Robin joining. I bet most people never saw that coming and probably would've been mind blown.

RPGamer92

Banned
Vivi was fine when she wasn't yelling.

It was probably for the best that she didn't join. I can't think of what she could have really contributed to the crew.
I would imagine something like a coach for Strawhats to get over minor flaws about themselves e.g. Sanji not being able to fight women, Ussop being afraid, Luffy's meat addiction.

Big One

Banned
Like honestly the whole Alabasta arc was just a drag for me. It set the tone for a lot of things in the series, but did we really need like three different miniature island arcs before even hitting the main plotline? Drum Island was the best thing about the Alabasta arc, cause once they actually went to Alabasta about half of it was spent traversing across the desert and Vivi's meh backstory.

Honestly Arlong arc was much better as a whole than Alabasta was. But I feel like One Piece didn't hit it's stride (for me) all that much until CP9, which was an arc that actually felt like it rewarded me for reading up to that point. This continued with arcs like Shaboady, Impel Down, Marineford, and even Dressrosa.

In fact if I had to rank the "big arcs" in order:

1. CP9
2. Dressrosa
3. Marineford
4. East Blue
5. Alabasta
6. Skypeia
7. Thriller Bark
8. Fishman Island

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Who will be the next crewmate is One Piece's version of shipping. It'll never go away.

Sadly... At least it's a lot more tolerable than most shipping talk. I read Soma for the food and the cooking battles, not looking at who should hook up with who.

GaimeGuy

Yeah, I kind of like Vivi but I'm struggling to remember any significant thing she's done. I would like to see how she'd react with Brook in the crew now (reminding me I need to see the Drum Kingdom remake movie).

I wish I could've seen how the internet reacted to Robin joining. I bet most people never saw that coming and probably would've been mind blown.

She didn't "do" anything, but she played off the rest of the crew great in the tsukkomi role.

NSESN

Like honestly the whole Alabasta arc was just a drag for me. It set the tone for a lot of things in the series, but did we really need like three different miniature island arcs before even hitting the main plotline? Drum Island was the best thing about the Alabasta arc, cause once they actually went to Alabasta about half of it was spent traversing across the desert and Vivi's meh backstory.

Honestly Arlong arc was much better as a whole than Alabasta was. But I feel like One Piece didn't hit it's stride (for me) all that much until CP9, which was an arc that actually felt like it rewarded me for reading up to that point. This continued with arcs like Shaboady, Impel Down, Marineford, and even Dressrosa.

In fact if I had to rank the "big arcs" in order:

1. CP9
2. Dressrosa
3. Marineford
4. East Blue
5. Alabasta
6. Skypeia
7. Thriller Bark
8. Fishman Island

IMO, Dressrosa was much more of a drag than Alabasta was, but i still liked it.

Alright guys, let's do a random why-not popularity poll.

Which member of the Super Spot-Billed Duck Squad is the bestest of best?

Superior manga image:
300px-SBS_Vol_20_1.png

Poorly drawn but slightly larger anime image:
Super_Spot-Billed_Duck_Squad_Infobox.png

Top row (left to right): Stomp, Ivan X.
Bottom row (left to right): Cowboy, Bourbon Jr., Carue, Kentauros, Hikoichi.

Not shown on the image: Eyelashes.
Eyelashes_Portrait.png

Carue is sooo cute and kind, but Cowboy is the guy who gets the ladies, no doubt. Dude brings a-game for sure. Kentauros is also such a boss; probably gets shit done. I'm gonna go with Cowboy though.

120px-Carue_Portrait.png
120px-Cowboy_Portrait.png
120px-Kentauros_Portrait.png

You?

Where's ma love for ducks at.

Big One

Banned
IMO, Dressrosa was much more of a drag than Alabasta was, but i still liked it.
I thought so too until I re-read a good portion of it on the Viz releases. Alabasta was definitely more of a drag, and Dressrosa had a much better story all around than Alabasta did. All the flashbacks in Dressrosa are amongst the best in the entire series and really gave the storyline a lot of depth that other arcs don't have. The only part of Dressrosa that dragged for me was the gladiator portions of it tbh and some of Punk Hazard, while Alabasta didn't stop dragging till Drum Island and then it drags again when they actually get the Alabasta till they actually start fighting Baroque Works towards the end.

NSESN

I thought so too until I re-read a good portion of it on the Viz releases. Alabasta was definitely more of a drag, and Dressrosa had a much better story all around than Alabasta did. All the flashbacks in Dressrosa are amongst the best in the entire series and really gave the storyline a lot of depth that other arcs don't have.

Maybe i should reread Dressrosa and PH, those are the only arcs i didn't read a chapter after the other

RomanceDawn

The entire crew was planned before the manga started. Not to be confused with his early crew sketch with no Robin and the little Fishman carpenter.

Vivi was never going to join in the sense that we know it. She was a bad guy and at the very very last second, Oda went on record in saying that he thought it would be more interesting if she was a princess involved heavily with the Buroque Works saga. Just look at how she flipped after trying to kill Laboon. That isn't to say she doesn't count because she does, just differently. She is crewmate 6.5. Again all from SBS's and interviews.

Barto is not joining. He has his own crew who he has traveled with from the East Blue to the New World. We saw one member with very little panel time. If we saw more, fleshing them out giving us hints that they would want him to leave and join the Straw Hats then that would be something. It doesn't have to be that specific but the followers of Franky, Usopp and Jinbe are in a completely different boat. He is not leaving his crew behind to join Lufffy, not without major build up first. Not to mention Bartolomeo has been established as the comic foil to Cavandish. They are 2 sides of the same coin who will ultimately be the leading commanders on Luffy's side in the final world war. Barto and Cavendish are Zoro and Sanji with a different kind of support role. I guarantee you!

Jinbe is next or the 9th person at least, which would make him the 10th Straw Hat. Like the picture posted above that was one of 2 times Oda did that. Roughly 3 years after Jinbe said he would join the Straw Hats. It was just another reminder for fans who pay close enough attention. There are no ifs, ands or buts about it, Jinbe is the 10th straw hat even if he isn't the next one to join. What I mean by that is Nami didn't officially join before Sanji and Usopp but later got her 2nd person chapter.

There will be at least one more member after that giving Luffy his 10 men and Oda his soccer team. They will join in succession much like the early days of One Piece or even Franky to Brook.

It's "No OP Week: Jump Off Edition", in that there's no Jump at all this week.

a fate worse than death

The entire crew was planned before the manga started. Not to be confused with his early crew sketch with no Robin and the little Fishman carpenter.

Vivi was never going to join in the sense that we know it. She was a bad guy and at the very very last second, Oda went on record in saying that he thought it would be more interesting if she was a princess involved heavily with the Buroque Works saga. Just look at how she flipped after trying to kill Laboon. That isn't to say she doesn't count because she does, just differently. She is crewmate 6.5. Again all from SBS's and interviews.

Barto is not joining. He has his own crew who he has traveled with from the East Blue to the New World. We saw one member with very little panel time. If we saw more, fleshing them out giving us hints that they would want him to leave and join the Straw Hats then that would be something. It doesn't have to be that specific but the followers of Franky, Usopp and Jinbe are in a completely different boat. He is not leaving his crew behind to join Lufffy, not without major build up first. Not to mention Bartolomeo has been established as the comic foil to Cavandish. They are 2 sides of the same coin who will ultimately be the leading commanders on Luffy's side in the final world war. Barto and Cavendish are Zoro and Sanji with a different kind of support role. I guarantee you!

Jinbe is next or the 9th person at least, which would make him the 10th Straw Hat. Like the picture posted above that was one of 2 times Oda did that. Roughly 3 years after Jinbe said he would join the Straw Hats. It was just another reminder for fans who pay close enough attention. There are no ifs, ands or buts about it, Jinbe is the 10th straw hat even if he isn't the next one to join. What I mean by that is Nami didn't officially join before Sanji and Usopp but later got her 2nd person chapter.

There will be at least one more member after that giving Luffy his 10 men and Oda his soccer team. They will join in succession much like the early days of One Piece or even Franky to Brook.

this makes me happy haha

i'm looking forward to jinbe joining the team, I hope he really does join in the upcoming arc

Personally i don't care much about Jimbe, though i kinda see it being the one who's constantly amazed at the reckless antics of luffy and co, and that would be a lot of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom