• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I mean, we've had a lot more of this than people remember.

Nami and Fishman Island, Nami and Skypeia, the list goes on and on. The Strawhats would have been dead a million times over if not for her.

Don't forget Punk Hazard, they don't get onto the island if not for her. She's been the main player in the short sections between islands.

Some people can just kind of do it without training. See: Usopp. She felt very strongly about not hurting people, but she obviously wanted to win/not die while competing in the colosseum, so maybe her Haki developed through those desires. That and maybe she doesn't even know she's doing it.

Usopp recently awoken the ability, and he can't use it as he wishes. In the moment when he was sniping, we saw the auras and the faded background from Usopp's perspective, so there was no need to explain what was going on there. The reader could put two and two together.

Rebecca is a little bit more tricky since we didn't get the same aura perception that Usopp or Fujitora have shown and it's never been confirmed by anyone as an absolute fact. I doubt that she would have never have been able to tell that she was predicting attacks before the happened.

Don't forget Punk Hazard, they don't get onto the island if not for her. She's been the main player in the short sections between islands.

Laffitte is the supposed Navigator of the BB pirates, so it'll be interesting to see if (they fight) their navigational skills are pitted against each other.

CarJeter

Neo Member
I think the way Oda handles his women is fine.

There would be alot more complains if Oda introduces more women but doesnt give them proper panel time or character development. People would complain that he only does that to even the male-female ratio and I think thats the wrong way to do it. There are a lot of well-written women in this manga, sure, I too want them to fight more because a 1vs1 fight always gives more character depth and panel time but we should know by now that having a fight isnt a sole variable to determine a characters importance or worth imo.

RomanceDawn

Laffitte is the supposed Navigator of the BB pirates, so it'll be interesting to see if (they fight) their navigational skills are pitted against each other.

Their navigational skills might be pitted against each other but when it comes to fighting, Laffite has been set up as Brook's opponent from day one.

Brook VS Laffite
Tap dancer VS the musician/musical theme between the two.
Guy who flies VS Guy with amazing jumping ability and runs up walls and across water.
Cane VS cane sword
Angel like guy VS demonic like guy
Hypnotism VS Hypnotism

Their navigational skills might be pitted against each other but when it comes to fighting, Laffite has been set up as Brook's opponent from day one.

Brook VS Laffite
Tap dancer VS the musician/musical theme between the two.
Guy who flies VS Guy with amazing jumping ability and runs up walls and across water.
Cane VS cane sword
Angel like guy VS demonic like guy
Hypnotism VS Hypnotism

Interesting thought, I always assumed it would be Crew Job v Crew Job since it seems fitting that Luffy would fight BB (Captain) or Usopp would Fight Van Augr (Sniper) or even Zoro v Shiliew (Swordsman).

Tizoc

If Oda doesn't fuck it up, I'd like for this upcoming arc to give us Sanji going solo like back in the Alabasta and Water 7 arcs.

Around that time, Zoro was using a technique called "108 Pound Cannon," and he wanted to double it by doing the same kind of attack.
In the page it's Luffy who asks what 108*2 is, not Zoro.

You know what, I just thought of a crazy Blackbeard theory.

What if as a kid, he had 2 brothers just like Luffy? He grew up and trained with them the same way. Something happened however and they ended up dead. HIs pirate flag being three skulls is in remembrance of them.

Tizoc

You know what, I just thought of a crazy Blackbeard theory.

What if as a kid, he had 2 brothers just like Luffy? He grew up and trained with them the same way. Something happened however and they ended up dead. HIs pirate flag being three skulls is in remembrance of them.

Interesting theory, wonder if ties with what he told Luffy before they went ot Sky Island about dreams never dieing?

Tizoc

Didn't Chopper look after Sanji during the Fishman Island arc, and then looked after the children during the Punk Hazard arc too?

Also I just now noticed that Kid has a metallic arm, brah should've spent 2 years training like Luffy did :V

To be fair, during Fishman Island, he was busy keeping Sanji from dying from being horny, and during Punk Hazard he was unable to do anything for one half, then had those kids left to him in the other half.
And during Dressrosa, well ... i don't think i have much to add, right? ^^
So it's more like he had to deal with stuff from others.

About the female crew and fighting ... i always said that Oda needs to add some female brawler to the crew, in addition to the monster trio. Nami is bound to fight with her tricks, as she is nowhere near the physical abilities of others, i doubt she could handle one of the Kuja warriors without some lightning.
Robin is a little difficult, as her fruit can be downright broken, see SPOILER Thriller Bark
her snapping Morias' neck
. Plus her whole backstory transports that violence/fighting is bad image.
Did she actively fight during Alabasta? Can't remember.

I've said it before, i would have loved a female Fishman using Fishman Karate (Hint: Not Koala, she is a human!), joining during the Fishman Island arc. Jinbe is amazing, but i think he is overkill for the crew.

smurfx

get some go again
Didn't Chopper look after Sanji during the Fishman Island arc, and then looked after the children during the Punk Hazard arc too?

Also I just now noticed that Kid has a metallic arm, brah should've spent 2 years training like Luffy did :V
you think that maybe shanks is the one who took his arm? would make sense as to why kid is after him since it would be round 2. if kid is as ambitious as luffy then he might have gone after him after he went into the new world and got beat down. shanks or maybe the new unseen warlord.

That would make her the most broken character in the series.

Nah even if she get Armament Haki it still easy for her to get beat .
All Oda has to do is have her haki weaker than her opponent defense or attack or haki (which boils down to power level which some people don't like )

Jinbe is amazing, but i think he is overkill for the crew.

Don't think he is over kill looking at the enemies they going to be facing .
Zoro and Luffy already look up to his level only Sanji left so hopefully he gets to show off in the upcoming arc .

Leave alone the fights, he seems outdone even as a doctor by Law. Or rather, have we seen him do any medicine since timeskip? I honestly don't remember.

He has done stuff on FI and PH but being outdone by Law is not a big deal .
Law is call the surgeon of death and his DF is perfect for that stuff .

RomanceDawn

Interesting thought, I always assumed it would be Crew Job v Crew Job since it seems fitting that Luffy would fight BB (Captain) or Usopp would Fight Van Augr (Sniper) or even Zoro v Shiliew (Swordsman).

For the most part that is very true. Chopper the animal doctor VS Doc Q and Stronger, the animal and the doctor. We don't have jobs for the newer crew mates but you can bet there won't be any archeologists on board. Actually I shouldn't say that because there very well could. Though my bet is Robin fights Pizaro the corrupt King. I guess all I can truly say is Brook and Lafitte just match up too well in style and presentation for them not to battle.

Judging from what we know, like epithets and abilities we can guess who will fight who but the job title plus fighting style only neatly lines up with about half the crew right now.

Jinbe is amazing, but i think he is overkill for the crew.

In the beginning I used to think that as well but if you step back a bit Jinbe is just one weakness after another. His greatest feet was having a 5 day battle with Ace and coming to a stand still. Of all the War Lords, Jinbe has been depicted with they least amount of over whelming abilities. Aside from Mihawk and Buggy[laughs], have you noticed Jinbe has no overwhelming 1HKO moves? He can't dry you out, he can't petrify you, he can't steal your heart(well he stole Robin's) and he can't rip shadows from you in an instant. Each of those characters has some sort of haxed attack that is very fitting for an antagonist but its clear Jinbe won't be doing any thing equivalent when he is front and center once more. Compared to Law, Kuma, Hancock, Mihawk, Moriah, etc, Jinbe has yet to display some outrageous feat of destruction. I'm sure he certainly can but I'm certain it's all intentional on Oda's part to make sure he fits nicely as a main character.

If we take it one step further, he was constantly seen failing until Fish Man island. He couldn't save Tiger, he never made it out to stop Arlong, he couldn't keep Luffy safe and on his watch he couldn't protect the mermaids on Fish Man island.

I feel like Jinbe's first bounty of 76,000,000 B(just 1 million below Sanji's), his team up with Sanji against Wadatsumi, and his relatively lack luster performance in the war(in comparison to the other War Lords who took almost no hits) are very subtle ways to show that Sanji and Zoro are more or less his "level" if not stronger than him now. He would fit right in the Monster Quartet.

Tizoc

So the next arc will be Luffy and co. going against Kaido's army or are they going to the Land of Wano?

Spinx

you think that maybe shanks is the one who took his arm? would make sense as to why kid is after him since it would be round 2. if kid is as ambitious as luffy then he might have gone after him after he went into the new world and got beat down. shanks or maybe the new unseen warlord.

Shanks does not strike me as a limb taker. Before we found out he was going after shanks I thought big mom did it since he took some of her ships out but that's him being like luffy picking fights with everyone.

So the next arc will be Luffy and co. going against Kaido's army or are they going to the Land of Wano?

Why not both?

RomanceDawn

Well Zou first. That's almost undoubtedly where Sanji and the gang are now. Zou means zoo, or elephant, so that big water spout could be reference to an elephants trunk and there was a little animal woman the crew was chasing. She is probably of the mink man race and this is the "island" they reside on. Not to mention those men from Kaido's crew were after Momonosuke so its natural to assume that they indeed do have the last Samurai that Kinemon wanted to save, it was his next destination after all. So on this "island" some of Kaido's men reside but not all his main forces.

This island is probably not an island at all but something like a whale. Sheepshead wondered how the Straw Hats made it to that island and naturally with the Vivre card that was given they could find it. But if there were some trick to getting there because of no magnetic field it probably swims around freely often missed by travelers. The mist surrounding the island is suspicious since it didn't give us a clear view and the ground was all bumpy and squishy, it's probably skin.

Zou first, then Wano. Both islands will have the crew battling Kaido's men for sure. It's already clear Wano is tied up in a bad mess with Kaido.

Tizoc

Well Zou first. That's almost undoubtedly where Sanji and the gang are now. Zou means zoo, or elephant, so that big water spout could be reference to an elephants trunk and there was a little animal woman the crew was chasing. She is probably of the mink man race and this is the "island" they reside on. Not to mention those men from Kaido's crew were after Momonosuke so its natural to assume that they indeed do have the last Samurai that Kinemon wanted to save, it was his next destination after all. So on this "island" some of Kaido's men reside but not all his main forces.

This island is probably not an island at all but something like a whale. Sheepshead wondered how the Straw Hats made it to that island and naturally with the Vivre card that was given they could find it. But if there were some trick to getting there because of no magnetic field it probably swims around freely often missed by travelers. The mist surrounding the island is suspicious since it didn't give us a clear view and the ground was all bumpy and squishy, it's probably skin.

Zou first, then Wano. Both islands will have the crew battling Kaido's men for sure. It's already clear Wano is tied up in a bad mess with Kaido.

Thanks for clearing it up :)
Interestingly enough this'd be the first time, if not 2nd time, that OP goes from one major arc straight into the next. In this case, Zou would be like Punk Hazard and Wano would be Dressrosa.

Shanks does not strike me as a limb taker. Before we found out he was going after shanks I thought big mom did it since he took some of her ships out but that's him being like luffy picking fights with everyone.

Kid has a very nasty reputation. When he came into the new world it wouldn't be surprising if Shanks made an example of him like Mihawk did with Don Krieg. We didn't see it directly in the Manga but Shakky said that the reason his bounty was so high compared to Luffy, even though Luffy raided Enies Lobby, was that Kid massacred a lot of innocent people.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Kid has a very nasty reputation. When he came into the new world it wouldn't be surprising if Shanks made an example of him like Mihawk did with Don Krieg. We didn't see it directly in the Manga but Shakky said that the reason his bounty was so high compared to Luffy, even though Luffy raided Enies Lobby, was that Kid massacred a lot of innocent people.

It's not just reputation (remember, luffy's reputation is that he burned enies lobby to the ground, the navy tends to exaggerate things when they can). He himself admitted at Sabaody that he killed everyone who laughed at him wihen he said he was going to find one piece.

It's not just reputation (remember, luffy's reputation is that he burned enies lobby to the ground, the navy tends to exaggerate things when they can). He himself admitted at Sabaody that he killed everyone who laughed at him wihen he said he was going to find one piece.

Well if it was just any old goon who said that Kid had a nasty reputation we could brush it off because all pirates are supposed to have nasty reputations. Just look at Barto. But Shakky is hard core.

Am I the only one that thinks Sanji and crew are in Zou right now? I could be wrong I have always thought that Kaidou rules Zou or his base in Zou. I never thought Kaidou ruled Waino at all.

The thing we heard about Wano is that they are isolationist and the samurai are strong enough to keep the world government out. And Nami would have navigated to Zo because she had a vivre card for Law's crew. I can't see her just navigating to some random island and it turning out to be Wano. Unless Law's crew had to leave Zo for some reason.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
For the most part that is very true. Chopper the animal doctor VS Doc Q and Stronger, the animal and the doctor. We don't have jobs for the newer crew mates but you can bet there won't be any archeologists on board. Actually I shouldn't say that because there very well could. Though my bet is Robin fights Pizaro the corrupt King. I guess all I can truly say is Brook and Lafitte just match up too well in style and presentation for them not to battle.

Judging from what we know, like epithets and abilities we can guess who will fight who but the job title plus fighting style only neatly lines up with about half the crew right now.

In the beginning I used to think that as well but if you step back a bit Jinbe is just one weakness after another. His greatest feet was having a 5 day battle with Ace and coming to a stand still. Of all the War Lords, Jinbe has been depicted with they least amount of over whelming abilities. Aside from Mihawk and Buggy[laughs], have you noticed Jinbe has no overwhelming 1HKO moves? He can't dry you out, he can't petrify you, he can't steal your heart(well he stole Robin's) and he can't rip shadows from you in an instant. Each of those characters has some sort of haxed attack that is very fitting for an antagonist but its clear Jinbe won't be doing any thing equivalent when he is front and center once more. Compared to Law, Kuma, Hancock, Mihawk, Moriah, etc, Jinbe has yet to display some outrageous feat of destruction. I'm sure he certainly can but I'm certain it's all intentional on Oda's part to make sure he fits nicely as a main character.

If we take it one step further, he was constantly seen failing until Fish Man island. He couldn't save Tiger, he never made it out to stop Arlong, he couldn't keep Luffy safe and on his watch he couldn't protect the mermaids on Fish Man island.

I feel like Jinbe's first bounty of 76,000,000 B(just 1 million below Sanji's), his team up with Sanji against Wadatsumi, and his relatively lack luster performance in the war(in comparison to the other War Lords who took almost no hits) are very subtle ways to show that Sanji and Zoro are more or less his "level" if not stronger than him now. He would fit right in the Monster Quartet.
I don't disagree completely, but his jump in water and then water bending streams of snakes and other assorted nonsense are fleet destroyers. He also calls any sort of fish to his side and can literally control the ocean, so traveling becomes easy. He can be broken, it's just that Oda has chosen a different path since he's going to become a crew mate. That and he's like 50% weaker on land, which was where all of his not looking too strong has taken place.

I don't think Jinbei is going to join. I think he's gonna get offed right when they are meeting up/when he is saving his crew.

Why? Most seem convinced that he'll join, and he did say that he would, and Luffy loves him too.

Is there some satire here or am I overthinking it?

He probably just slightly misused the term.

Wano is isolated from the outside world, just like Japan was for many centuries. The real story of when Japan opened up and of samurai's visiting England and experiencing elevators for the first time and everything else they saw are still cool.

Kornflayx

The only thing that keeps me from really seeing Jimbei as a full on crew member is his role on the ship. Everyone else has their own little role on the ship (besides Zoro, who is the resident sleeper).

Tizoc

Whenever a new OP chapter's out I just skim it and not read all the dialog, but Gear 4 utilizes Armament Haki right?

Whenever a new OP chapter's out I just skim it and not read all the dialog

787.gif

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The only thing that keeps me from really seeing Jimbei as a full on crew member is his role on the ship. Everyone else has their own little role on the ship (besides Zoro, who is the resident sleeper).
Expect Robin.

Jinbei will probably be the Helmsmen. Currently that duty is shared amongst the crew. Plus it would make sense to let the Fishmen be the one on deck at all times.

I wonder if we find out who Shakky was in the old times or if she is strong
She's probably a former Amazon Lily Empress who left the island in the past due to her love sickness. It would explain how she knew Glorious as well as how she knew that Hancock fell for Luffy and that he was on Amazon Lily. Which would also explain how Rayleigh knew exactly where Amazon Lily was. Plus Shakky's name is a flower motif just like all the other Amazons....

She even looks like someone from Amazon Lily and is long lived. The only difference is that her clothing is designed around spiders instead of snakes.

smurfx

get some go again
i think shanks would absolutely take a limb if somebody was threatening him and his crew. the fact that kid was allowed to live after his arm was taken strikes me as something shanks would do. i imagine him saying the fight is over and allowing them to leave.

Chariot

Robin is the archaeologist.

I think the argument is silly anyway; if you look at any other crew in the world of One Piece, you'll see that they've got plenty of crew members who are "only" fighters.
Well for the argument of a shipcrew that's not good argument. On the ship she is just another crewmember without a specific job. But just as Luffy is captain and not much else, Zoro is vice--captain. I also agree with you. It's natural that not everybody need to have a ship specific job. What does a musican do when the ship is sinking. Looking at you, Titanic band. When it comes to the push everyone is helping as they can, even if it's not their job or if they are worse than the person in charge. I remember Luffy an co fishing and helping the Merry in storms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom