• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHaveIce

Banned
She's probably a former Amazon Lily Empress who left the island in the past due to her love sickness. It would explain how she knew Glorious as well as how she knew that Hancock fell for Luffy and that he was on Amazon Lily. Which would also explain how Rayleigh knew exactly where Amazon Lily was. Plus Shakky's name is a flower motif just like all the other Amazons....

She even looks like someone from Amazon Lily and is long lived. The only difference is that her clothing is designed around spiders instead of snakes.

Woah. That sounds plausible

Oda has never made a boring arc. Some arcs are definitely better than others, but I love 'em all and Wano is looking insane. The samurai arc will be really cool.

Well for the argument of a shipcrew that's not good argument.

I agree, but in the world of One Piece, it is her clear role. Characters like Shakky and (iirc) Law refer to her as that, and in the character gallery for every book of the manga, she is described as the ships' archaeologist. But yeah, we agree on everything else, which is the part that matters.

Jigolo

Oda's been waiting to get there for a long time. Seems like we could get some significant character development for Zoro as well. I'm really looking forward to it.

Hopefully. I've just never been fond of Kinemon or Momonosuke as characters which is probably why I don't want to see Wano arc.

RomanceDawn

I see some promotions coming. Zoro will be king of Wano, Usopp king of Elbaf, Chopper king of Zo and Sanji will be queen of Whole Cake Island.

I've had these things in mind for a while except for Sanji and Whole Cake. Queen [laughs]. You might be on to something. With Sanji's amazing cooking ability he could very well be a hot topic for Big Mom and the arc as a whole. I could see Big Mom wanting Sanji for her crew creating all kinds of great opportunities for Sanji and his character growth.

Sanji is already the prince.

21028a31682ad34850074cd94f9bcb02.png

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm hyped for Wano, I love Kinemon and a samurai island sounds great!

I imagine Oda's probably gonna play the isolationism-deal straight up and have like the Marines appear complete with a Commodore Perry stand-in and such...but I think it'd be neat if he went an unexpected route and perhaps Wano ends up being rather than simply "Feudal Japan", is actually a high-tech metropolis and the reason they're isolationist is because they don't need anyone else.

Big One

Banned
What I'm expecting for Wano arc:

- Zou arc before it with exposition explaining Kaidou's situation in Wano.
- Marineford light. Wano itself will be the battleground of Shanks vs Kaidou for revenge for what Shanks did to him at Marineford. Luffy tries butting in.
- Character arcs for Shanks, Jinbe, and Kidd.
- Jinbe becoming full-time member.
- Big Mom will appear and will help Luffy defeat Kaidou.
-
Shanks will die.

Tizoc

^I don't see Zoro anywhere in your post. This is supposed to be the island of swordsman, if Zoro doesn't get a character focus in it I'll be disappointed.

smurfx

get some go again
^I don't see Zoro anywhere in your post. This is supposed to be the island of swordsman, if Zoro doesn't get a character focus in it I'll be disappointed.
i'm betting kaidou's second in command will be a swordsman from wano who's probably the best on that island.

IHaveIce

Banned
What I'm expecting for Wano arc:

- Zou arc before it with exposition explaining Kaidou's situation in Wano.
- Marineford light. Wano itself will be the battleground of Shanks vs Kaidou for revenge for what Shanks did to him at Marineford. Luffy tries butting in.
- Character arcs for Shanks, Jinbe, and Kidd.
- Jinbe becoming full-time member.
- Big Mom will appear and will help Luffy defeat Kaidou.
-
Shanks will die.
I know the last point will probably happen.. but I don't want it :(

smurfx

get some go again
I know the last point will probably happen.. but I don't want it :(
what if shanks crew gets killed but he somehow survives? would be another twist. maybe at the end of the story shanks joins luffy's crew and fights against the world government.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
We need to learn more about the Redhair Pirates and Shanks soon. You would think this guy would have quite the Islands and crews under his wing considering how charismatic and "good" he is. So there is still a lot of Shanks to explore outside his Yonkou status and his friendship to Mihawk.

He seems to be cool with almost everyone - being able to stop Kaidou before the war without getting into an all-out battle or clashing weapons with WB without any kind of consequences. So yeah...its a bit weird that we havent seen more Redhair Pirates supporters and his influence. Between Kaidou, Big Mom and Blackbeared (who overtook WB areas) it seems like Shanks is the most laid back when it comes to "ruling" his territory... Oda better shine some light onto it soon.

smurfx

get some go again
Why would Shanks die?
many think blackbeard is eventually going to clash with him. if blackbeard is truly being set up as the last pirate boss luffy fights then he isn't going to lose to shanks. i really do see blackbeard taking advantage of kidd and his alliance if they do end up going after shanks. it's just too big of an opportunity to let go. kidd will maybe be able to do enough damage to shanks and his crew to then allow a rested blackbeard alliance to come in and defeat a weakened shanks and take all the glory for themselves.

I get where you're coming from and I can see the character development that would happen after that (regardless of the outcome of such a battle), but I don't know, nothing right now suggests that Shanks would die. It's too soon as well. It could happen, but nothing points towards it right now.

Chariot

I think it would be cliched for Blackbeard to kill Shanks to motivate Luffy. Let Luffy beat Shanks, send him into retirement or death and give the hat back/put it on the grave.

Kornflayx

A cool scenario would be if Blackbeard kills Shanks before he has a chance to meet Luffy again. Then, the end of One Piece is Luffy going to Shanks' grave after beating Blackbeard, laying down the Straw Hat all teary eyed and telling him that he's finally a great pirate.

Chariot

Blackbeard is already responsible for Ace's death and - indirectly - for Whitebeard's. There is no need to pile even more emotional corpses on his character.

cw_sasuke

I think it would be cliched for Blackbeard to[/B] kill Shanks to motivate Luffy. Let Luffy beat Shanks, send him into retirement or death and give the hat back/put it on the grave.

I agree - but i think Oda could pull it off in a interesting way. But i also dont think that Shanks has to die for Luffy to get his final emotional power boost for BB...there are plenty of other ways to get Luffy pumped up. Luffy/Sabo havent forgotten that BB was responsible for Aces death.

Also Whitebeard final statements makes me believe that BB could be taken out earlier than some people think. I wouldnt might Red Hair Pirates vs. Strawhats at the end.

Chariot

I agree - but i think Oda could pull it off in a interesting way. But i also dont think that Shanks has to die for Luffy to get his final emotional power boost for BB...there are plenty of other ways to get Luffy pumped up. Luffy/Sabo havent forgotten that BB was responsible for Aces death.

Also Whitebeard final statements makes me believe that BB could be taken out earlier than some people think. I wouldnt might Red Hair Pirates vs. Strawhats at the end.
Luffy said he didn't want Shanks to be the first - doesn't mean he is going to be the last. It could just be a milestone that showcases that Luffy isn't the little wannabe-pirate boy that wants to join Shanks crew. That he - literally - doesn't need to wear the hat Shanks put on him. That he isn't Strawhat, but Monkey D. Luffy, a legend in his own right that ripples across the blues, the Grand Line and the New World. I also hope that all four emporers get offed relatively quickly and replaced by the new generation of pirates, all characters we know. I want at some point that nobody in the high positions, the marines, the samurai and the yonko was there at the beginning of the journey.

cw_sasuke

Nah, if anything, I'd say it could be Red Hair together with Straw Hats versus the enemy.

Not saying that i expect this outcome...just that i wouldnt mind it. Oda knows whats best for the Manga and the story he wants to tell. My main point is that Strawhats vs. Blackbeards doesnt neccesary have to be the final clash of the Manga.

Luffy said he didn't want Shanks to be the first - doesn't mean he is going to be the last. It could just be a milestone that showcases that Luffy isn't the little wannabe-pirate boy that wants to join Shanks crew. That he - literally - doesn't need to wear the hat Shanks put on him. That he isn't Strawhat, but Monkey D. Luffy, a legend in his own right that ripples across the blues, the Grand Line and the New World. I also hope that all four emporers get offed relatively quickly and replaced by the new generation of pirates, all characters we know. I want at some point that nobody in the high positions, the marines, the samurai and the yonko was there at the beginning of the journey.

Wow this would be horrible to be honest...the Yonkous spend years to achieve their current status i would hate nothing more if Oda would have Supernovas just take them out one after another. This wouldnt fit to OP and the way power levels have been handled so far. I dont expect Yonkous to be taken out without much help from 3rd Parties like Marines, Revolutionaries or another Yonkou...if at all.

Same for Marine and the Samurais...while i love seeing Coby for example rise higher in the ranks of Marines its just unrealistic to have them just unveil new characters who are stronger that Kizaru, Akainu and Co. - doesnt make much sense to me. We have old ass Legends like Garp, Rayleigh and Co. who have been inactive for a while and are still as strong as ever...hell it took the whole Marine to take out a out of shape Whitebeard - no way will Shanks, Big Mom and Kaidou fall easy or fast. I also dont think that every Yonkou has to be or will be beaten. Kaidou has a death wish anyway....Big Mom might be happy if Sanjis cooks her an awesome meal and Shanks probably wants to see Luffy at the top anyway.

Also Luffy is a Strawhat because Shanks showed him what its meant to be a Pirate, i dont think there will ever be a point where he will act the way you described. He is known as Strawhat and he embraced the hat Shanks put on his head...it was his decision. Sure there will be some kind of event showing off that he surpassed Shanks, but i dont think its necessary for him to throw away a part of his identity (the Strawhat) to prove a point.

Chariot

Wow this would be horrible to be honest...the Yonkous spend years to achieve their current status i would hate nothing more if Oda would have Supernovas just take them out one after another. This wouldnt fit to OP and the way power levels have been handled so far. I dont expect Yonkous to be taken out without much help from 3rd Parties like Marines, Revolutionaries or another Yonkou...if at all.

Same for Marine and the Samurais...while i love seeing Coby for example rise higher in the ranks of Marines its just unrealistic to have them just unveil new characters who are stronger that Kizaru, Akainu and Co. - doesnt make much sense to me. We have old ass Legends like Garp, Rayleigh and Co. who have been inactive for a while and are still as strong as ever...hell it took the whole Marine to take out a out of shape Whitebeard - no way will Shanks, Big Mom and Kaidou fall easy or fast. I also dont think that every Yonkou has to be or will be beaten. Kaidou has a death wish anyway....Big Mom might be happy if Sanjis cooks her an awesome meal and Shanks probably wants to see Luffy at the top anyway.
The Samurai were shuffled around pretty good already and there was major movement in the Marine ranks. N oreason for the Yonko to stay at status quo or just be thrown up. Defeat the powerful and ohters will fill the vaccum. And since One Piece were effectively kept old characters relevant, those can fill in without being asspulled.

cw_sasuke

The Samurai were shuffled around pretty good already and there was major movement in the Marine ranks. N oreason for the Yonko to stay at status quo or just be thrown up. Defeat the powerful and ohters will fill the vaccum. And since One Piece were effectively kept old characters relevant, those can fill in without being asspulled.

You can compare Yonkous to Shichibukai - Yonkous rule the most dangerous part of the Grandline and are endgame. The only Shichibukai that could be somehow compared to them is Mihawk.

Trust me - there is no way that the Yonkous will get taken out fast. They rule the current Pirate era...there were who knows how many Pirates who hated Whitebeard, Kadou etc. and no one could touch them. It need a big event to get even near enough one of them to take them out. Being a Yonkou isnt only about being strong but also having the ambition and ability to lead a bunch of Pirates.

MIhawk was testing his skills against Whitebeard only to admit that he just ist on that level - getting to Whitebeard normaly meant you would be able to take out Marco, Vista, Jozu, Izo etc. this will be the same for the other Yonkous and all of these Commanders are easily alone on Shichibukai level.

It wasnt very serious but when Beckman aimed at Kizaru during the War even Kizaru knew it would be better to not screw around.

Strawhats + Law just spend 100 Chapters taking out Dofla...a guy who was more or less Kaidous bitch lol. Not saying that it needs as many Chapters to defeat every Yonkou but Dofla was easily the strongest Shichibukai with MIhawk and they needed a bunch of help to take him out.

Tizoc

How often do you guys and gals realize that Zoro owes his life to Luffy? Granted Luffy would've saved him anyways but if Luffy wasn't there Zoro would've bit the dust then and there.

Syntsui

How often do you guys and gals realize that Zoro owes his life to Luffy? Granted Luffy would've saved him anyways but if Luffy wasn't there Zoro would've bit the dust then and there.

Luffy owes his life to a bunch of people, not big of a deal.

I really don't see shanks dying .
Oda has only kill 2 semi main characters in the whole story so far .
Each of them having a major effect on the story .
Shanks dying late in the game will get luffy more angry but he going to face BB anyway .
Oda is not going to do a semi main character death just for some drama of luffy getting more angry at BB.
If someone does die it has to have major effect storywise and not just for drama .

There won't be a single "big bad endboss" in One Piece, there are too many persons with ridiculous power levels.
And all have a different motivation to be the nemesis of Ruffy.

Blackbeard was responsible for Ace's demise and killed Whitebeard, plus he seems to be the Anti-Ruffy and his rival at becoming pirate king.
Sakazuki/Akainu killed Ace, wants to wipe out all pirate crews, so here is the revenge theme. Also, the marines have to act some time, as piracy rises with each new generation.
Shanks is Ruffys' idol, but to achieve his goals, he has to surpass him. I think Ruffy and Shanks will fight, with Shanks losing and Ruffy being "mentally free" to become the pirate king.

But i also see Dragon as an enemy. Iirc, the only revolutionary who sides with Ruffy is Sabo, maybe Ivankov, if (s)he is willing to disobey Dragon.
And while Dragon might have some noble goals, creating an army and waging war is way to extreme for Ruffy to be ok with ... i think. Maybe throw in some Star Wars "Join me or die!" ...

But i also see Dragon as an enemy. Iirc, the only revolutionary who sides with Ruffy is Sabo, maybe Ivankov, if (s)he is willing to disobey Dragon.
And while Dragon might have some noble goals, creating an army and waging war is way to extreme for Ruffy to be ok with ... i think. Maybe throw in some Star Wars "Join me or die!" ...

Nothing is to extreme for luffy plus he also about to wag war on the yonko .
Dragon seem to be the type of character who don't mind luffy do his own thing .

cw_sasuke

Why has Luffy to beat Shanks to reach his goal ? Did Shanks state that he want to be PK or take out everyone who stands in his way ? Kaido doesnt seem to care either...wouldnt be too shocked hearing that Big Mom doeant care as well. We know WB didnt give a damn about it.

The only Yonkou who is as much pushing for the One Piece and Raftel is Blackbeard...so he is the only one Luffy has to take out to achieve his dram. Roger was PK in the same era as Whitebeard and its not like he needed to defeat WB in a tournament to crown himself as Pirate King.

We dont know much about the other Yonkous yet but them ruling parts of the sea doesnt necessary mean that finding the One Piece is their main goal.

PS: Doubt Dragon will turn out Bad - WG vs. Revos will happen and i dont see the World Goverment being the good guys when the clash happens.

The new generation are not going to quickly replace the old since the major theme of the manga is the rise of the new age of pirates and Luffy becoming the pirate kings and "fixing" the world. If the yonko start dropping like flies it means that we are rushing to the end of the story which I don't see happening.

But I do think that from next chapter someone has got to lay it down plainly that the strategy is to confront a Yonko head on. If Law could explain what Kaidou might actually do next it would clear things up. Like if he could say that Kaidou was planning on going to war with Shanks that's why he needed SMILEs or something.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Why has Luffy to beat Shanks to reach his goal ? Did Shanks state that he want to be PK or take out everyone who stands in his way ? Kaido doesnt seem to care either...wouldnt be too shocked hearing that Big Mom doeant care as well. We know WB didnt give a damn about it.

The only Yonkou who is as much pushing for the One Piece and Raftel is Blackbeard...so he is the only one Luffy has to take out to achieve his dram. Roger was PK in the same era as Whitebeard and its not like he needed to defeat WB in a tournament to crown himself as Pirate King.

We dont know much about the other Yonkous yet but them ruling parts of the sea doesnt necessary mean that finding the One Piece is their main goal.

PS: Doubt Dragon will turn out Bad - WG vs. Revos will happen and i dont see the World Goverment being the good guys when the clash happens.

The one way I can see Dragon being bad is if he wants whatever's in Raftel, to wage war against the WG and Luffy is standing in his way. He's OK with most of what Luffy is doing since it is effectively the same agenda, even if for completely different reasons. I do agree with you though, Dragon is a good guy.

Strictly speaking Shanks does care since he chose Luffy as being his favourite for the new age. The idea that Shanks would fight Luffy seriously to crush his dream to be the pirate king is a guess about a major unsignalled plot twist at best. Whitebeard cared mostly about his family but toward the end he decided his legacy should be to help solve the pirate king thing which shows it was an issue he felt strongly enough to die about. Kaidou and Big Mom, we just don't know. Doflamingo was very concerned about the new age and wanted to control it but we don't know how much Kaidou supported or agreed with him there.

I'm not saying that Shanks wants to reach Raftel, but the very reason Ruffy wants all this is to become better than Shanks, and while he is happy-go-lucky enough not to care if one is better/stronger, i can't see him giving Ruffy the easy way.
Be it a "test" if he is really stronger/ready, or whatever reason, but i'm pretty sure they end up fighting it out. Think of it when Goku finally beat Roshi in Dragonball.

Plus i can't see Blackbeard giving a crap about Shanks, after all, he was able to keep up with him in the past, i doubt he thinks of Shanks as a threat now with his 2 DF skills.

About Dragon and Rev vs WG, i agree, the WG won't be the good guys, the Heavenly Dragons alone prevent that. But i don't see the Revolution being the good guys, too. Not evil or bad, just not good.
I can totally see Dragon trying to destroy Mariejois with one of the ancient weapons. Robin being with the Revolution during the timeskip was certainly no coincidence.
Ruffy stopped Croc and his civil war plans, he stopped Hody, who wanted the citizens of FI either fight/kill humans or die by his hands, it's more than possible that he ends up going against his father.

Chariot

Luffy wants to beat all Yonko's including Shanks. Also what does Shansk actually do all day? We think he doesn't want to become Pirate King, but what does he want? At some point he took the title of Yonko, so he has some ambition somewhere. But seriously, what does he do all day. For that matter, what did Whitebeard do all day.

I can totally see Dragon trying to destroy Mariejois with one of the ancient weapons. Robin being with the Revolution during the timeskip was certainly no coincidence.
Ruffy stopped Croc and his civil war plans, he stopped Hody, who wanted the citizens of FI either fight/kill humans or die by his hands, it's more than possible that he ends up going against his father.

Luffy only stop those guys because he care about people there other wise luffy don't care what happening in the world or what his action effect .

Luffy only stop those guys because he care about people there other wise luffy don't care what happening in the world or what his action effect .
Does he care for his Grandfather? Because the WG will use the Marines in the battle against the Revos, and i think that Garp wants to deal with his renegade son then.
Also, Robin. I'm pretty sure she wants to prevent the ancient weapons from being used, as these and the Void age are pretty much the reason for her bad childhood.
And she might be the only one with enough knowledge to handle/activate/find them, a reason that the Revos might go after her just as the WG is.

Does he care for his Grandfather? Because the WG will use the Marines in the battle against the Revos, and i think that Garp wants to deal with his renegade son then.
Also, Robin. I'm pretty sure she wants to prevent the ancient weapons from being used, as these and the Void age are pretty much the reason for her bad childhood.
And she might be the only one with enough knowledge to handle/activate/find them, a reason that the Revos might go after her just as the WG is.

Grap is retired so he don't have to fight and he never show any signs of wanting to deal with dragon .
Just like how sengoku did not bother to try and catch law.
Why would the revs go after robin when she just spend 2 years with them and i am sure she knows most of them .
Also the WG is the reason for robin bad childhood more than anything else.
Plus who knows what the other ancient weapons are could be another person like Shirahoshi .

I mean luffy knows to many people in the revs to want to fight them unless you think everyone he knows going to leave dragon .

Grap is retired so he don't have to fight and he never show any signs of wanting to deal with dragon .
Just like how sengoku did not bother to try and catch law.
Why would the revs go after robin when she just spend 2 years with them and i am sure she knows most of them .
Also the WG is the reason for robin bad childhood because she wanted to know the truth about the void century .
Garp and Sengoku stepped down, yes, but we just saw Sengoku doing business for the Marines, and both have their names and ranks preserved, there is always a possibility for Garp to return as a vice admiral.
And yes, he hasn't shown serious intentions to go after Dragon, when the war starts and Dragon threatens to wipe out the WG and Mariejois, i can see him doing just that. In the end, he is like Ruffy, and he did the same thing with Croc and Hody. ;]

That truth is what the WG wants to hide, thus the buster call against Ohara. That knowledge is the reason why she is being hunted. So the reason, is the history of the weapons and the void century.
And i doubt she went to Dragon and told him everything about that, when she was with them. If he wants those weapons, he needs Robin, and i don't think she will help them without being forced.

E:
He knows many? He knows Sabo, Ivankov and Inazuma.
Who else? I don't remember, has he had any interaction with Koala or Hack at all?

I mean, he didn't even know who Dragon was, or that he was his father, yet alone that he had one. ^^

Garp and Sengoku stepped down, yes, but we just saw Sengoku doing business for the Marines, and both have their names and ranks preserved, there is always a possibility for Garp to return as a vice admiral.
And yes, he hasn't shown serious intentions to go after Dragon, when the war starts and Dragon threatens to wipe out the WG and Mariejois, i can see him doing just that. In the end, he is like Ruffy, and he did the same thing with Croc and Hody. ;]

That truth is what the WG wants to hide, thus the buster call against Ohara. That knowledge is the reason why she is being hunted. So the reason, is the history of the weapons and the void century.
And i doubt she went to Dragon and told him everything about that, when she was with them. If he wants those weapons, he needs Robin, and i don't think she will help them without being forced.

E:
He knows many? He knows Sabo, Ivankov and Inazuma
Who else? I don't remember, has he had any interaction with Koala or Hack at all?

I mean, he didn't even know who Dragon was, or that he was his father, yet alone that he had one. ^^

Story wise a lot of what you are saying makes no sense .
Luffy is going to help his grandfather protect the group of people that hunting the SH and help kill his brother .
Go against people that save him like ivankov ,inazuma and his next brother plus all the people robin and sanji know since they were with them.

There is more but just think about what sort of character luffy is .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom