• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Story wise a lot of what you are saying makes no sense .
Luffy is going to help his grandfather protect the group of people that hunting the SH and help kill his brother .
Go against people that save him like ivankov ,inazuma and his next brother plus all the people robin and sanji know since they were with them.

There is more but just think about what sort of character luffy is .
Last post i answer to ...

Akainu killed Ace, that's a personal thing. Plus, Ruffy does have a friend within the marines, Corby and "worked" with marines against Cesar on Punk Hazard. So i don't think he has a grudge against the whole organization. And preventing some massive destruction doesn't mean he's not going to rearrange Akainus' face. :]

Sanji was on Newkama Island, while Ivankov is a part of the Revolution, there has been no indication that this means that the Newkama residents are too. Only Inazuma is shown to be a part, too.
And i can see Ivankov fighting Ruffy if (s)he has to, as (s)he is more loyal to Dragon.
Sabo is a wildcard, but i can see him choosing Ruffy over the revolution, as he endangers the operation in Dressrosa for him, see Koala and Hack.

I really think you miss out some details in your thoughts ... the world in One Piece isn't just black or white ...
Not saying that i'm right, just some random thoughts, but there is always a possibility.

smurfx

get some go again
Luffy wants to beat all Yonko's including Shanks. Also what does Shansk actually do all day? We think he doesn't want to become Pirate King, but what does he want? At some point he took the title of Yonko, so he has some ambition somewhere. But seriously, what does he do all day. For that matter, what did Whitebeard do all day.
i think shanks role is to protect the way to raftel until somebody worthy comes along and finishes what roger started. he probably knows what one piece is and for whatever reason doesn't want to or he can't get to it. maybe only d's can get one piece or meet the conditions to use it or whatever. maybe blackbeard might not care about shanks but shanks might be the one that tries to stop him from getting one piece and that is how he dies.

Akainu killed Ace, that's a personal thing. Plus, Ruffy does have a friend within the marines, Corby and "worked" with marines against Cesar on Punk Hazard. So i don't think he has a grudge against the whole organization. And preventing some massive destruction doesn't mean he's not going to rearrange Akainus' face. :]

Sanji was on Newkama Island, while Ivankov is a part of the Revolution, there has been no indication that this means that the Newkama residents are too. Only Inazuma is shown to be a part, too.
And i can see Ivankov fighting Ruffy if (s)he has to, as (s)he is more loyal to Dragon.
Sabo is a wildcard, but i can see him choosing Ruffy over the revolution, as he endangers the operation in Dressrosa for him, see Koala and Hack.

I really think you miss out some details in your thoughts ... the world in One Piece isn't just black or white ...
Not saying that i'm right, just some random thoughts, but there is always a possibility.

It's not a matter of the world being black and white it's luffy and the SH have noting to gain by helping the WG .
The WG are the same people who also want to stop robin from her dream about finding out the true history .
WB already said that when someone find the OP a huge war is going to happen which side do you see luffy on ?
Also Oda would have to come up with a hell of a reason why after dragon let robin go a few months later he going to go after her .
Making a enemy of his son and maybe causing internal conflict in the revs .

Why do you keep calling him 'Ruffy'?

As the others mentioned, it's his official name in the translated volumes in Germany. I sometimes mix the names up, because i only read/watched the translated books/show episodes before starting to read the online scanlations. ^^

There were some pretty wild translations ... like Portgas D. Ace to Puma D. Ace ... heaven knows why. Or Usopp to Lysopp ... or Van Augur to Wan Oger.
I get the feeling that they tried to capture the pronunciation of the official name with the german translation on Van Augur.

As the others mentioned, it's his official name in the translated volumes in Germany. I sometimes mix the names up, because i only read/watched the translated books/show episodes before starting to read the online scanlations. ^^

There were some pretty wild translations ... like Portgas D. Ace to Puma D. Ace ... heaven knows why. Or Usopp to Lysopp ... or Van Augur to Wan Oger.
I get the feeling that they tried to capture the pronunciation of the official name with the german translation on Van Augur.

Okay i knew about luffy being ruffy but those other translation look hilarious .
When type out in text Puma D. Ace lol.

In the german translation? It's Mihawk "Falkenauge" Dulacre, with Falkenauge being an exact translation of Hawkeye.

Yeah ... in Germany, Mihawk is french! (Or rather, has a french sounding name..)

Just wanted to add to this; the reason why his name is translated different in different countries are multiple reasons:

- The Japanese use the same word for "L" and "R". Therefor, some people say Enel instead of Ener (imo Ener is way better than Enel), Lolonoa instead of Roronoa and more.
- "Ruffy" sounds strange in English; it sounds like a ruffian. In Swedish however, "Luffy" sounds weird, it's kind of what you would call a homeless person. Different spellings work for different languages.
- In the anime, Luffy's name is pronounced Lufi, Rufi and Dufi interchangeably, so all pronunciations appear fine.

With mangas you often see tons of different translations for different names and words, so you really gotta know what is what.

Chariot

i think shanks role is to protect the way to raftel until somebody worthy comes along and finishes what roger started. he probably knows what one piece is and for whatever reason doesn't want to or he can't get to it. maybe only d's can get one piece or meet the conditions to use it or whatever. maybe blackbeard might not care about shanks but shanks might be the one that tries to stop him from getting one piece and that is how he dies.
I don't think Shanks is a guardian. He wouldn't be hanging around in the East Blue. A guardian would stay close to the isle or on the isle in case someone is coming. What is, if somebody wanted to get to the island while Shanks was trashing mountain bandits on the other side of the line? Whatever he does, he is mobile.

Haha, I am desperetaly trying to not do that. But in a real life conversation I would probably stumble a lot about that name. As people said, it was translated that way in Germany and I grew up with that spelling. It's awfully difficult to get that out of the system. And yet it's easier than to get the damn english Pokemon in my head.

IHaveIce

Banned
Just wanted to add to this; the reason why his name is translated different in different countries are multiple reasons:

- The Japanese use the same word for "L" and "R". Therefor, some people say Enel instead of Ener (imo Ener is way better than Enel), Lolonoa instead of Roronoa and more.
- "Ruffy" sounds strange in English; it sounds like a ruffian. In Swedish however, "Luffy" sounds weird, it's kind of what you would call a homeless person. Different spellings work for different languages.
- In the anime, Luffy's name is pronounced Lufi, Rufi and Dufi interchangeably, so all pronunciations appear fine.

With mangas you often see tons of different translations for different names and words, so you really gotta know what is what.

Wait Zoro is not Lorenor anywhereelse?

I have to admit some stuff in the translation here in Germany way better.. though it could be because I grew up with it.

I like Mihark ... Sounds snarky, and simple. The Dolan of One Piece.

Oh, didn't see Diego Mihawk ... “My name is Diego Mihawk, you killed my father. Prepare to die!“.

LOL, Blackbeard Pirates = Black Mustache Pirates ... Good grief, how did this come to one's mind? I think everyone has heard the name Blackbeard before...

I like Mihark ... Sounds snarky, and simple. The Dolan of One Piece.

Oh, didn't see Diego Mihawk ... “My name is Diego Mihawk, you killed my father. Prepare to die!“.

LOL, Blackbeard Pirates = Black Mustache Pirates ... Good grief, how did this come to one's mind? I think everyone has heard the name Blackbeard before...

I mean, it's technically a correct translation, and Blackbeard didn't have a beard at that point. It's still stupid though since Blackbeard is the most famous pirate ever, and this is a goddamn pirate manga

smurfx

get some go again
I don't think Shanks is a guardian. He wouldn't be hanging around in the East Blue. A guardian would stay close to the isle or on the isle in case someone is coming. What is, if somebody wanted to get to the island while Shanks was trashing mountain bandits on the other side of the line? Whatever he does, he is mobile.
i don't think east blue shanks was an emperor at that time. plus whitebeard was still around to keep other pirates in check and not let them gather too much power. maybe shanks isn't protecting one piece but instead is there to stop really bad pirates like doflamingo or blackbeard from gaining too much power and causing huge problems which would end new generations such as luffy's from rising up and getting to one piece.

Chariot

i don't think east blue shanks was an emperor at that time. plus whitebeard was still around to keep other pirates in check and not let them gather too much power. maybe shanks isn't protecting one piece but instead is there to stop really bad pirates like doflamingo or blackbeard from gaining too much power and causing huge problems which would end new generations such as luffy's from rising up and getting to one piece.
But... Shanks did nothing of the like. He didn't stop Doflamingo at all. There were actually only two times when we saw that he was actively doing something. He warned Whitebeard about Blackbeard and that he should call Ace back and he tried to just send a messenger and was only forced to come because Whitebeard decided to be a dick. The second time was of course Marine Ford. And he was just there to end the war, without the need to attack either the Marines, nor the Blackbeard pirates. The truth is, we have no idea what he is actually doing, but I don't think that he is protecting any specific goal. He just seems to care for Ace and Luffy.

smurfx

get some go again
But... Shanks did nothing of the like. He didn't stop Doflamingo at all. There were actually only two times when we saw that he was actively doing something. He warned Whitebeard about Blackbeard and that he should call Ace back and he tried to just send a messenger and was only forced to come because Whitebeard decided to be a dick. The second time was of course Marine Ford. And he was just there to end the war, without the need to attack either the Marines, nor the Blackbeard pirates. The truth is, we have no idea what he is actually doing, but I don't think that he is protecting any specific goal. He just seems to care for Ace and Luffy.
why did he even bother to warn whitebeard then? he probably saw promise in ace and didn't want him to get killed. he might not have gone after doflamingo since he was allied with kaido which might have caused a huge incident later on. at marineford he stepped in and stopped the marines from completely wiping out the whitebeard pirates. again why would he do that if he didn't see himself as somebody keeping the pirate world in balance? it's not like he and whitebeard were long time friends or anything. they knew each other but didn't seem to have much contact. when whitebeard died the balance was broken and he might be outnumbered now which might mean his reign is ending soon.

Chariot

why did he even bother to warn whitebeard then? he probably saw promise in ace and didn't want him to get killed. he might not have gone after doflamingo since he was allied with kaido which might have caused a huge incident later on. at marineford he stepped in and stopped the marines from completely wiping out the whitebeard pirates. again why would he do that if he didn't see himself as somebody keeping the pirate world in balance? it's not like he and whitebeard were long time friends or anything. they knew each other but didn't seem to have much contact. when whitebeard died the balance was broken and he might be outnumbered now which might mean his reign is ending soon.
You're shifting goalposts. First you were about him guarding the last island and now he is a peacekeeper. With the latter I would've agreed more, although I still think he is more concerned about single persons than the whole balance. Furthermore you stated that he went after the "really bad pirates like doflamingo or blackbeard" to stop them from "gaining too much power", but we see no evidence at all. His visit at Whitebeard is to help Ace, not an aggressive approach against Blackbeard. If he so desired he could've just ended the man himself.

smurfx

get some go again
You're shifting goalposts. First you were about him guarding the last island and now he is a peacekeeper. With the latter I would've agreed more, although I still think he is more concerned about single persons than the whole balance. Furthermore you stated that he went after the "really bad pirates like doflamingo or blackbeard" to stop them from "gaining too much power", but we see no evidence at all. His visit at Whitebeard is to help Ace, not an aggressive approach against Blackbeard. If he so desired he could've just ended the man himself.
he might have wanted to save ace because he thought he would help keep balance in the pirate world. after all he would be inheriting the whitebeard pirates and probably most of his allies. he doesn't have to go directly after bad pirates but just be there to keep them in check. we don't know what area of the new world shanks controls. he might control the end of the new world which you have to get through to get to raftel.

Ace was Roger's son and Shanks was not only on Roger's crew but he was close enough to inherit the straw hat from him. At Ace's grave he told Marco that Ace behaved the same way that Roger would have.

Big One

Banned
Roger and his crew found the truth about the world, right?

Buggy and Shanks were part of Roger's crew.

BUGGY KNOWS ABOUT THE VOID CENTURY AND OTHER SHIT.

Why isn't he using this to his advantage?!

Grexeno

It's pretty obvious that Buggy and Shanks left beforehand.

Big One

Banned
It's pretty obvious that Buggy and Shanks left beforehand.
Is that so? How so? We don't have either's past fleshed out enough to even really get anything from that. The fact that Buggy was at Roger's execution in the same clothes he wore while he was on Roger's crew and was crying his eyes out suggest otherwise.

Hey probably doesnt know what do with it either way. As Rayleigh mentioned to the Strawhats there was nothing the Roger Pirates could do anything about it.

Buggy was probably asleep when they found out what the history is. It wouldn't make sense for him to know what is. He was still an apprentice at the time.

Whatever happened during the Void Century isn't as black and white or simple as we might assume it is.
Going by what Rayleigh said, there could be many different interpretations and perspectives to that century.
The World Government might not have been nefarious in their actions as previously suggested throughout the manga. The Ancient Kingdom might be painted in a different light when the secret is revealed.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
When One Piece first hit the states, there was this awesome fansite for it that was really in-depth and covered it in great detail including explaining various Japanese elements and such. I recall the site had individual pages for each Crew, and the background was black and it used frames...anyone remember this site?

When One Piece first hit the states, there was this awesome fansite for it that was really in-depth and covered it in great detail including explaining various Japanese elements and such. I recall the site had individual pages for each Crew, and the background was black and it used frames...anyone remember this site?
I'm guessing you mean here

http://www.thegrandline.com/onepiece.html

Guy that made it is Greg, known from the OnePiecePodcast. He has an amazing story where after getting burnt out on the series for a while, he got picked to take part in a trivia contest on tv against the editors of One Piece, and lost by just a bit. But then he got a revenge match and beat the editors alongside other hardcore fans. He now actually writes a column on One Piece secrets in V-Jump (I think he still does this anyways)

Watch Da Birdie

I'm guessing you mean here

http://www.thegrandline.com/onepiece.html

Guy that made it is Greg, known from the OnePiecePodcast. He has an amazing story where after getting burnt out on the series for a while, he got picked to take part in a trivia contest on tv against the editors of One Piece, and lost by just a bit. But then he got a revenge match and beat the editors alongside other hardcore fans. He now actually writes a column on One Piece secrets in V-Jump (I think he still does this anyways)

Yeah, that's the one...I actually remember the name right after I posted that.

Shame to see it hasn't been updated since Franky---I really dislike how everything is done through Wiki's now, it lacks the personality and love of fansites like this. :(

Tizoc

Refresh my memory: How often in the manga itself do we see a Devil Fruit or a Devil Fruit being eaten by someone?
Off the top of my head I can think of only 2
Luffy in Chapter 2
Kalifa and Kaku during Enies Lobby saga

ffdgh

Refresh my memory: How often in the manga itself do we see a Devil Fruit or a Devil Fruit being eaten by someone?
Off the top of my head I can think of only 2
Luffy in Chapter 2
Kalifa and Kaku during Enies Lobby saga

I think chopper via flashback and Sabo. Buggy too i think?

Watch Da Birdie

I think chopper via flashback and Sabo. Buggy too i think?

Yeah, Shanks caught Buggy by surprise causing him to quickly swallow the Devil Fruit to hide it.

I wanna see at least one inanimate object "eat" a Devil Fruit though...and I also want to see the idea of someone eating two Devil Fruit and dying, as so has been claimed, to be witnessed.

Tizoc

tHANKS for the info, but if were to talk about before New World, that'd be
Buggy, Luffy, Kaku, Kalifa & Chopper

Chopper and Buggy were through flash backs.

Jigorath

Banned

I doubt the entire Roger crew figured out the truth. Lowly deckhands like Shanks and Buggy were probably left behind on the ship while the higher-ups explored Raftel.

I don't think that the void century knowledge is something you can normally use to your advantage. In fact if you reveal that you know something about it you just become a priority target for WG. Entirely possible that Buggy knows a lot of stuff he is too scared to do anything with.

Hmm, i can see Roger being the only one who got to know the truth about the void age and all. Maybe he shared something with Shanks, or Shanks got some insights, too, but not the whole story.
This could also explain his "guardian"-like behaviour, ie stopping the Marineford battle.

I'm just not sure about Rayleigh, on the one hand i can see him knowing something if not all and simply not giving a damn about it anymore. Or he got told to stay ot of this by Roger, sort of a last wish from his captain.

Buggy always had enough comedy relief, i can totally picture him missing all this because of some shenanigans, like stealing something from the treasury of the ships, or wandering around with some treasure map, or something else stupid.

Nocebo

Hmm, i can see Roger being the only one who got to know the truth about the void age and all. Maybe he shared something with Shanks, or Shanks got some insights, too, but not the whole story.
This could also explain his "guardian"-like behaviour, ie stopping the Marineford battle.

I'm just not sure about Rayleigh, on the one hand i can see him knowing something if not all and simply not giving a damn about it anymore. Or he got told to stay ot of this by Roger, sort of a last wish from his captain.

Buggy always had enough comedy relief, i can totally picture him missing all this because of some shenanigans, like stealing something from the treasury of the ships, or wandering around with some treasure map, or something else stupid.
Eh? Rayleigh obviously knows. He said he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom