• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we go back to shark dicks?

Im not sure why there so many people trying to shut down discussion on this. Trying to decide what a thread should or should not discuss can be bannable btw.

Veelk, i greatly appreciate your posts, and like you said, your posts would not be necessary if people didn't try to deflect and deny that this is an issue in OP like the posters above. Discuss shark dicks all you want guys. No one is stopping you.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So how about that third admiral and seventh Shichibukai?

So how about that third admiral and seventh Shichibukai?

If we go by the 3 admirals before Fuji seem to be like kuzan in a way morally speaking .
And Kizaru is still there so that take care of the absent-minded one.
So i wonder if the other new one Ryokugyu is more like Akainu since he now fleet admiral.

As for the new warlord i have no idea how he going to turn out .

Tizoc

So question about Ch. 367; why did Luffy want to know what 108*2 equals?
What was significant about the #108?
mPoeY2J.jpg

Popstar

One hundred and eight is a sacred number in several eastern religions and some of the Strawhats have attacks with the number in the name.

Tizoc

One hundred and eight is a sacred number in several eastern religions and some of the Strawhats have attacks with the number in the name.

Ah yeah in the OP wiki it mentions one of Zoro's moves using the # 108, so I guess Luffy knew about it and wanted to name the move after it since it's a combo attack XP

Speaking of which I remember laughing my ass off at the Sogeking reveal.

And bringing back what someone posted previously, Sanji going out on his own and being a clever tricking 'Mr. Prince' needs to come back and this upcoming arc could be his chance to shine.

Chariot

She wasn't that weak if she was partnered with Mr 9.
Everyone below 5 is barely better than a regular goon. The serious Baroque agents start at 5.

Vivi could have taken strong goons, but she didn't have any chance again the top brass. And that is okay. Like I said her character made it okay to be be weak as a fighter because she was strong as a person.

What happen to rebecca was people expectations of her , she was not the characters they wanted .
I mean after one chapter people were saying how strong is and others stuff .

Yes and no.

There were a bunch of attributes given to her: strong observation haki, the colliseum's undefeated fighter etc that made her seem a lot more impressive than she ever turned out to be, combat-wise.

The fact that in both the fight with Diamante & the fight with Doflamingo she turned out to just be a little damsel in distress for the big strong male character to protect was bullshit.

Was she gonna be the person to KO diamante or doflamingo? Hell no. But her unfortunate traits were pushed so damn far that it makes me wonder why Oda even bothered to make her some sort of undefeated gladiator with observation haki to begin with?

I don't mind weak characters, I liked Caimie a lot for example. But Rebecca had some weird contrary elements that honestly bordered on her being outright badly writen, rather than just unfortunate.

Tizoc

Can someone elaborate on what Mr. 2's name actually is?
What's Bon Clay derived from? Why does the wiki refer to him as Bentham?

Can someone elaborate on what Mr. 2's name actually is?
What's Bon Clay derived from? Why does the wiki refer to him as Bentham?

Bon Clay is a fan-translated name, the official spelling is Bon Kurei. In the Baroque Works, every man has a number and every woman has a holiday as codename. Since Bentham (which is his real name) is both man and woman, he gets both. Bon is a Japanese holiday and Kurei has something to do with that holiday.

Chariot

Bon Clay is a fan-translated name, the official spelling is Bon Kurei. In the Baroque Works, every man has a number and every woman has a holiday as codename. Since Bentham (which is his real name) is both man and woman, he gets both. Bon is a Japanese holiday and Kurei has something to do with that holiday.
I didn't knew that, that's amazing! This is the thing I always regret when reading manga. I miss most of the witty japanese wordplays that are just untranslatable. :(

I didn't knew that, that's amazing! This is the thing I always regret when reading manga. I miss most of the witty japanese wordplays that are just untranslatable. :(

Yeah definitely, it adds quite a lot :)

Honestly though these things aren't untranslatable. I'm Swedish, and was reading One Piece in Swedish up until volume 66, which is the last volume they released in Swedish due to a decline in sales, and most names and attacks were translated. Like, instead of Kizaru, it'd say Yellowmonkey, instead of Kuma, it'd say Bear (which is actually a Swedish name too) and so on. I believe the German translation does that with a lot of names too. It may be that Yellowmonkey doesn't exactly roll off the tongue in English, but for a lot of names the translators definitely could've tried harder. If you look at a classic comic like Donal Duck, you'll see that tons of the jokes have been made by the translators and that every name has been translated.

Bon Kurei's name was also translated in the Swedish edition, and it's a perfect opportunity for a translation regardless of language, I'd say. Obviously no one in the west knows what Bon is, but a translator could go for something different that is still true to the original (i.e. a holiday that would fit) :)

Bandini

Around that time, Zoro was using a technique called "108 Pound Cannon," and he wanted to double it by doing the same kind of attack.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

Learning Japanese right now and a big part of manga and such are how authors, especially for attack names and such, will basically give them dual-meanings---first there's the Kanji characters that helps the Japanese readers understand the concept of the word like if it's a foreign one they're using, and then they often will give the Kanji unique pronunciations written above it in katakana or hiragana. But usually translators just go with what the furigana says and the kanji meaning is lost.

A lot of Zoro's moves are these types of puns where there's a double meaning...his trademark Onigiri attack, for example, uses the kanji 鬼斬り. This uses the character for demon "鬼", and "斬", which can mean to cut or kill with a blade basically. As an attack name, however, this combination gives you an idea of what the attack is like---an attack so powerful it's like a demon is using it...but you wouldn't know necessarily how to pronounce it, since it's not really an actual word you'd run into otherwise. In this case, Oda chose characters where the reading isn't exactly out of left field...鬼 is often read as "Oni", and 斬り can be read as "giri" (with the "ri" obvious because he added the hiragana), such as in the compound 辻斬り, meaning Crossroads Killing. But in the manga, the kanji has furigana characters above the name that quickly tell you it's pronounced "Onigiri"...which is a real word meaning rice ball, but the kanji tells you that's not what the attack actually means. If I remember correctly, the Viz translation just uses Onigiri...which loses the dual-meaning, and if you have a passing knowledge of Japanese cuisine, you might think Zoro literally just names his attacks after food and that's it.

Of course, manga authors can get very creative with this...as far as I know there's no real rules when it comes to kanji-reading puns. Like Bleach tends to have the attacks written out in Kanji indicating the "theme" of the attack, but the actual attack name is a Spanish word written in katakana above, which of course is a reading you'd never actually encounter for that kanji compound in day-to-day life.

I'm an amateur at Japanese, but I think I got the basics down when it comes to how puns often work.

Zoro's attack names have been covered many times in the SBS though, especially Oni Giri, so anyone who reads OP will know that one at least. Things like that however are hard to translate without sounding stupid. Most translators who do translate it leave the pun out and just go for the demon part.

Veelk

Banned
Im not sure why there so many people trying to shut down discussion on this. Trying to decide what a thread should or should not discuss can be bannable btw.

Veelk, i greatly appreciate your posts, and like you said, your posts would not be necessary if people didn't try to deflect and deny that this is an issue in OP like the posters above. Discuss shark dicks all you want guys. No one is stopping you.

Thank you.

You know what the most frustrating thing about all this is? That posters who are resisting this are resisting a better manga. The reason I'm arguing so hard against sexism here isn't because of any personal investment. I'm a white cisgender straight male and non-religious in a very liberal area. I've won the social identity lottery when it comes to this sort of the stuff, and most of my friends don't really care about manga, even the nerd ones. So I have no dog in the fight on a personal level.

The reason I push for this is because, unknownst to most, One Piece would be a better manga and story for everybody, including the people resisting it, if it had more representation of minorities. It's difficult to articulate why it this is, except to say that you don't really know how many biases and assumptions you have about genders and race and so on until you actually see them broken. And when you do, that work is fascinating and intriguing in a way that is difficult to actually describe except for the fascination that you see something surprising in something that you took for granted as being understood. It's easy to say that you view women representation as something that should come naturally, but it's a whole different thing to see it in action, even in fictional settings. I only really realized this until I read what basically amounts to a shonen fanfiction whose protagonist is a middle age mother, or a different series where the fictional setting has women constantly represented in every occupation along with men without double standards being a barrier. You'd think this would be unrelated to the quality of writing, that characters would be just as compelling if they had all the same characterization regardless of whether they're male or female. But this has proven to be simply incorrect in practice as I've seen it and it does make a difference.

So when people are resisting the idea of representing minorities, all they are doing is hobbling the manga they claim to love. I feel like a lot of people here perceive me as wanting to rain the happy parade, since I have already opened up about not really liking One Piece that much as a story, even if I find it interesting enough to follow. But my comments here are toward the betterment of the manga all the same. I don't want OP to be a worse manga than what it could be. My wish and intentions with my posts is how I view it can be improved.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Is Shanks a father?
Speculation is that Shanks and Makino are a couple and her kid is his. He did spend a year in the village, always hanging out at the bar with her, while Luffy was a child.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Thank you.

You know what the most frustrating thing about all this is? That posters who are resisting this are resisting a better manga. The reason I'm arguing so hard against sexism here isn't because of any personal investment. I'm a white cisgender straight male and non-religious in a very liberal area. I've won the social identity lottery when it comes to this sort of the stuff, and most of my friends don't really care about manga, even the nerd ones. So I have no dog in the fight on a personal level.

The reason I push for this is because, unknownst to most, One Piece would be a better manga and story for everybody, including the people resisting it, if it had more representation of minorities. It's difficult to articulate why it this is, except to say that you don't really know how many biases and assumptions you have about genders and race and so on until you actually see them broken. And when you do, that work is fascinating and intriguing in a way that is difficult to actually describe except for the fascination that you see something surprising in something that you took for granted as being understood. It's easy to say that you view women representation as something that should come naturally, but it's a whole different thing to see it in action, even in fictional settings. I only really realized this until I read what basically amounts to a shonen fanfiction whose protagonist is a middle age mother, or a different series where the fictional setting has women constantly represented in every occupation along with men without double standards being a barrier. You'd think this would be unrelated to the quality of writing, that characters would be just as compelling if they had all the same characterization regardless of whether they're male or female. But this has proven to be simply incorrect in practice as I've seen it and it does make a difference.

So when people are resisting the idea of representing minorities, all they are doing is hobbling the manga they claim to love. I feel like a lot of people here perceive me as wanting to rain the happy parade, since I have already opened up about not really liking One Piece that much as a story, even if I find it interesting enough to follow. But my comments here are toward the betterment of the manga all the same. I don't want OP to be a worse manga than what it could be. My wish and intentions with my posts is how I view it can be improved.

I'm all for minority representation in manga, being a brown dude myself. However, the reason your argument rings hollow to a lot of people is because it boils down to "girls need to fight more and they need to be big fights", which is more of an opinion/preference than a statement on sexism. Characterization on females and males, is pretty much on the same level in one piece (fairly shallow unless specifically important to moving the story forward).

Veelk

Banned
I'm all for minority representation in manga, being a brown dude myself. However, the reason your argument rings hollow to a lot of people is because it boils down to "girls need to fight more and they need to be big fights", which is more of an opinion/preference than a statement on sexism. Characterization on females and males, is pretty much on the same level in one piece (fairly shallow unless specifically important to moving the story forward).

Just by the mere fact that the overwhelming majority of characters are male means their not on the same level, simply mathematically speaking. And the way in which they are characterized is also a factor. The fact even when put in fights, there is a definite and obvious distinction to how they are depicted vs how males are. It is even explicitely established that women are a matter of fact weaker than men. Which isn't even getting to the sexualization of them. Denying that there is a facet of sexism to the manga is nothing less than disingenuous.

I am also curious as how you distinguish opinions and statements on sexism. Do you think sexism isn't an opinion?

Edit: Also, to clarify one thing, I have to point out that this isn't merely about quality of writing, it's about power dynamics, and how fighting is a significant aspect of it. One piece is a world in which individual strength determines how things are. That's why every climax of every arc comes down to "Straw hats get 1v1 against main villains" while armies of mooks are slaughtered wholesale. (I often question what the point of armies in OP is. They always get done in by conservation of ninjitsu) Any non-fighting related abilities are relegated as background elements that the readers are assured are vital to the functioning of the environment, but are never actually depicted. We rarely, if ever, actually see Nami in a dramatic situation where it's up to her to figure out navigation, for example. We don't ever see Sanji struggling to improve his culinary skills. At most, those things are gimmicks to help distinguish the characters truly important aspect: their ability to fight. That's how anyone in the manga makes a meaningful difference to the ongoing events. So when I say that women should be shown fighting more, it's not just a random 'personal preference' as opposed to the statement on sexism. Fighting is how characters in One Piece have their agency, regardless of what else they are. So the fact that we have an 'expert assassin' like Robin having had a single fight off screen way back in Skypiea, while her most notable fight in Dressrosa is protecting another female (who is also supposed to be a warrior, btw) on while some man comes in to save the day is meaningful. If she's truly a strong character, why isn't she shown fighting like the rest? Why was Jewelry Bonnie's only fight to tackle Zoro as a kid to prevent a fight during Sabaody Archipelago when literally every other Supernova showed off their fighting abilities? Why is Hancock not shown doing much during the Marineford? Why does Tashigi have to fail at every part of life? You can point to reasons the characters did what they did at any individual event, but when women are consistently and explicitely marginalized in this way, when there is always some excuse why the woman just couldn't fight in this instance and that instance and that one too, then it's clear what this is really about. These are all supposed to be women of prowess equal to any male character, but situations go to great lengths to never actually depict this, keeping women away from the battlefield they are supposed to be at home in, in a story where the ability to fight is how you make a difference in the world.

So yeah, in a story where power is determined by fighting ability, having women not fight is very much a statement on sexism. Claiming it to be anything else is willful ignorance at best.

Dear lord i think we had one page talk about that chapter thursday and then from there it was straight women talk. Im not saying u buys are wrong and im not saying its not a problem that all shonen have but its tiring reading the same discussion over nd over again!! And who are you guys to try and say the manga woukd be better if it had more women relevancy to the story?? This is crazy its out of hand now the women representation isn't that bad like u guys are making it out to be every other discussion gets buried by this same ropic over and over, you cant mention a one piece female without it happening.

Yes and no.

There were a bunch of attributes given to her: strong observation haki, the colliseum's undefeated fighter etc that made her seem a lot more impressive than she ever turned out to be, combat-wise.

The fact that in both the fight with Diamante & the fight with Doflamingo she turned out to just be a little damsel in distress for the big strong male character to protect was bullshit.

Was she gonna be the person to KO diamante or doflamingo? Hell no. But her unfortunate traits were pushed so damn far that it makes me wonder why Oda even bothered to make her some sort of undefeated gladiator with observation haki to begin with?

I don't mind weak characters, I liked Caimie a lot for example. But Rebecca had some weird contrary elements that honestly bordered on her being outright badly writen, rather than just unfortunate.

Her Knocking out Diamante would've been so good, and a great "redemption" for the character.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I demand all of the men in the manga be as smart as Nami and Robin. I want all of them to be as cowardly and prone to lying as Usopp. I need all of the to be as good a doctor as chopper, on equal footing at carpentry with Frankie.

I demand all of the men in the manga be as smart as Nami and Robin. I want all of them to be as cowardly and prone to lying as Usopp. I need all of the to be as good a doctor as chopper, on equal footing at carpentry with Frankie.
You know what Yea odas sexist against men!!!! How come all of them are pretty strong!! All of us men cant fight and lift buildings and crap!! Why does zoro have to be a muscle head huh? Why are half of the strawhat male characters so stupid? Sexism,stereotypes!!! -_-

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It would be hilarious if all of them had Zoro's sense of direction. Luffy was nearly as bad as him in the beginning of the manga but then Zoro beat him by getting lost going in a straight line or up a flight of stairs.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, at this point, it seems you guys are borrowing strawman techniques from the Gamergate school of debate, so I'll just leave it for tonight and see you guys in the morning.

Nami and Robin have better one on one fight records than most of the crew.

I'll take "What is a faulty comparison?" for 200, Man God.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Robin especially. She knows what's up with the revolutionaries, is going to be the one who solves the mystery of the void century, probably going to hit a few more people with a giant foot even though "she never fights anymore" Maybe break a few more spines. Hell she might even know Armament Haki just doesn't feel the need to use it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Robin especially. She knows what's up with the revolutionaries, is going to be the one who solves the mystery of the void century, probably going to hit a few more people with a giant foot even though "she never fights anymore" Maybe break a few more spines. Hell she might even know Armament Haki just doesn't feel the need to use it.

That would make her the most broken character in the series.

More importantly they are essential to the plot of one piece.

Robin especially. The entire final arc, if the final arc is on the void century, which going by foreshadowing so far it will be, is basically going to revolve around everything she's been doing until now.

Nah she doesn't have armament haki..at keast not yet cuz she couldn't hit monet but even still she's still badass. She didn't get a fight in dressrosa but her feats throughout was awesome fast lil draves? O ill jus grab one, hakuba the guy who 1 hit ko'd an entire ring of fighters aside from Rebecca? Eh ill grab him casually, Giant toys after my captain? Nah not having that out of the way,Captains order to protect Rebecca? Ill do that and get my back completely hurt and bloodied up and not tell anyone!!? But ay useless female

Veelk

Banned
Who is saying Nami and Robin are useless?

What's going on in here?

No one. They're busy trying to caricaturize the argument into absurdity as a way of discrediting it.

Honestly, guys. This is the sort of crap that gamegate dipshits do. It's one thing to debate me with a differing opinion. I can even get, even respect that. I can also understand being tired of discussing sexism. As I've pointed numerous times, I'd be happy to let the issue lie as long as it's acknowledged for the issue it is. I'd rather be discussing possible theories as to what the void century is, or what the end fates of the strawhats are.

But this? This is pathetic and beneath any of you. I'm greatly disappointed.

No one. They're busy trying to caricaturize the argument into absurdity as a way of discrediting it.

Honestly, guys. This is the sort of crap that gamegate dipshits do. It's one thing to debate me with a differing opinion. I can even get, even respect that. I can also understand being tired of discussing sexism. As I've pointed numerous times, I'd be happy to let the issue lie as long as it's acknowledged for the issue it is. I'd rather be discussing possible theories as to what the void century is, or what the end fates of the strawhats are.

But this? This is pathetic and beneath any of you. I'm greatly disappointed.

Umm those kind of contradict what you we're trying to say does it not i dont think anybody here is calling another pathetic or telling someone what is beneath them or not. Point is as you said ppl are tired of the discussion so at this point are just having fun with it. I would love to change the topic in fact i tried three times already,left for a day and went to the other one piece threads cuz i was tired of it,came back and it came right back up ityet again. Its like a zoro vs sanji debate it will never end and will always go the same way

But this? This is pathetic. I'm greatly disappointed.

You have posted why you think certain aspects of One Piece are sexist. As it happens, there are a few things I actually agree with but they don't bother me to the level they bother you.

You know what the most frustrating thing about all this is? That posters who are resisting this are resisting a better manga. The reason I'm arguing so hard against sexism here isn't because of any personal investment.

The reason I push for this is because, unknownst to most, One Piece would be a better manga and story for everybody, including the people resisting it, if it had more representation of minorities.

But statements like this are a bit odd to me. They give off a very holier-than-though vibe and that is definitely off-putting. Posters here aren't hiding Oda and moving him from safe house to safe house to resist your "improvements" to the series.

There are many comics I've dropped because I really disliked how the creators write female characters and the situations they are put in. If One Piece starts going in that direction for me, I will drop it too. I am assuming that is how most people react. Vote with their dollar, so to speak. But what I wouldn't do is go on an internet crusade trying to get other people to agree with my views.

As I've pointed numerous times, I'd be happy to let the issue lie as long as it's acknowledged for the issue it is.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I also want more Robin and Nami fights, don't get me wrong. They've been at Dressrosa long enough though.

Nami will probably be sinking fleets of ships with her weather "magic" soon enough. Robin is also a terror when they get out to sea. I'd love an entirely ship based arc.

I also want more Robin and Nami fights, don't get me wrong. They've been at Dressrosa long enough though.

Nami will probably be sinking fleets of ships with her weather "magic" soon enough. Robin is also a terror when they get out to sea. I'd love an entirely ship based arc.

What i want more out of nami is definitely some more "magic" but i want to see her navigation shine some more like going to skypiea or when they we're heading to fishman island. I want to see a moment where her skills really shine on the sea

Veelk

Banned
But statements like this are a bit odd to me. They give off a very holier-than-though vibe and that is definitely off-putting. Posters here aren't hiding Oda and moving him from safe house to safe house to resist your "improvements" to the series.

There are many comics I've dropped because I really disliked how the creators write female characters and the situations they are put in. If One Piece starts going in that direction for me, I will drop it too. I am assuming that is how most people react. Vote with their dollar, so to speak. But what I wouldn't do is go on an internet crusade trying to get other people to agree with my views.

I'm not writing OP, I'm just criticizing it. The basis of all criticism is "it would be better if it wasn't the way it was". It's no more holier than thou than saying any other series can be improved.

As for the specific improvement mentioned there, I'm merely reflecting what my experience has been with diversity and what I strongly believe would be the case with many more. Voting with the wallet isn't a faultless system and the whole Hugo controversy alone has proven people will put up money to try and promote harmful practices. Diversity is the goldmine that everyone thinks is merely copper.

As for myself personally, I've been told I come across as forceful before. All I can say in defense of that is that I do not disrespect others merely based on disagreement, and only do so when they use intellectually dishonest tactics like the posters above. I feel strongly on things and I express that. I don't want to do otherwise, and rely on others to see that I'm approaching them with respect regardless of my tone. I don't intentionally mean to come across as holier than thou, but I do believe this would be the betterment for everyone and it's hard to phrase it otherwise.

Yes and no.

To respond to the Observation Haki assumption, it was never confirmed that Rebecca could use Observation Haki.

Luffy commented that the way she was dodging in the ring was "like she was using Observation Haki", but it's never mentioned as a fact.

Even if she did have it, who taught it to her? Kyros?
We've never seen Kyros make any sort of reference to Haki or use Haki at any point in the arc.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
To respond to the Observation Haki assumption, it was never confirmed that Rebecca could use Observation Haki.

Luffy commented that the way she was dodging in the ring was "like she was using Observation Haki", but it's never mentioned as a fact.

Even if she did have it, who taught it to her? Kyros?
We've never seen Kyros make any sort of reference to Haki or use Haki at any point in the arc.
Some people can just kind of do it without training. See: Usopp. She felt very strongly about not hurting people, but she obviously wanted to win/not die while competing in the colosseum, so maybe her Haki developed through those desires. That and maybe she doesn't even know she's doing it.

I'd be happy to let the issue lie as long as it's acknowledged for the issue it is.

I partially agree with you reading your posts, about the fighting aspect. But I think it's best to just let acknowledgement speak for itself because we won't be going anywhere with this.

What i want more out of nami is definitely some more "magic" but i want to see her navigation shine some more like going to skypiea or when they we're heading to fishman island. I want to see a moment where her skills really shine on the sea

I mean, we've had a lot more of this than people remember.

Nami and Fishman Island, Nami and Skypeia, the list goes on and on. The Strawhats would have been dead a million times over if not for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom