• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinx

Crocus knows too.

QyYIkqP.jpg

Mihawk drinks wine. If that's not french, I don't know what is.

Chariot

Spanish? he looks like a mosqueteer from the french romance
He looks like a cliche spanish noble to me. The hat with feather, the beard and the cross. Spain always had a very close relationship with the roman catholic church.

They drink wine in Spain too. It's a fairly popular drink in the more Mediterranean parts of Europe.
It's also popular in Germany. Of course france is very famous for their amazing wines, no question, but I agree that it's a common luxary drink in all of mainland europe.

Kater

Banned
Nami looks like she just died of shock in that moment. But I have to admit, I was shook too when first reading this chapter. That was so out of the blue.

Tizoc

That reminds me I suddenly want to listen to the Eng. dub. Seeing as Enel's VA is really good I'll start from the Skypiea arc and work my way from there.

Syntsui

the point is that's stupid and born of ignorance of the actual meaning of the word, turning it into something it really isn't

I think it's fine to let it as it is, it's too ingrained in our heads by now. It's really weird to see ''Yonko'' / ''Shishibukai'' / any of their special moves translated.

IHaveIce

Banned
I think it's fine to let it as it is, it's too ingrained in our heads by now. It's really weird to see ''Yonko'' / ''Shishibukai'' / any of their special moves translated.

It is so weird. Shichibukai is translated to 7 Samurais in German, with the first teasing picture of them where they all hold swords and all of them seem to have the same body proportions it was kinda suprising and weird to see that all the other Warlords are no swordsman.
tpn9Dki.jpg

People who read scanlations are often people who want some of the original language to come through and enjoy bringing new words into their vocabulary. If it was being localised for small children then it's better to just translate into as simple English as makes sense even if you lose a nuance. The worst middle ground would be something as awkward as fuck like Luffy always talking about his comrades or greatest compatriots.

the point is that's stupid and born of ignorance of the actual meaning of the word, turning it into something it really isn't

Exactly. Couldn't have phrased it better myself.

Large parts of the OP community thinks that nakama is a magical word that can't be translated.

It's really weird to see ''Yonko'' / ''Shishibukai'' / any of their special moves translated.

It's the opposite for me, but then I read the official translations which are at least not that bad. I cringe a little every time I see someone use one of those Japanese terms in an English sentence. It's just silly and ignorant.

Tizoc

Shichibukai is such a long and tongue biting word.
Warlord is straight to the point.
Plus Shichi means 7 doesn't it?

I was watching one of the earlier episodes of the last season of 'Hannibal' and 'nakama' came up and was treated like a magical word that means more than friend.

Syntsui

Exactly. Couldn't have phrased it better myself.

Large parts of the OP community thinks that nakama is a magical word that can't be translated.

It's the opposite for me, but then I read the official translations which are at least not that bad. I cringe a little every time I see someone use one of those Japanese terms in an English sentence. It's just silly and ignorant.

Some move names are so iconic I just can't imagine them being translated Kamehameha/Genki-Dama (which americans translated)/Hadouken/Shoryuken. Yonko and Shishibukai are just as iconic to me, and by being titles, they are not silly when you talk about them in a conversation.

Nakama is used in a lot of manga. It means friend in one way but it can imply a close relationship perhaps even closer than family or lovers.

From that Brook panel you can see that the shocking situation is that Luffy can be interpreted as saying that he loves Brook in a platonic way. And Brook saying that he loves him back.

Tizoc

Some move names are so iconic I just can't imagine them being translated Kamehameha/Genki-Dama (which americans translated)/Hadouken/Shoryuken. Yonko and Shishibukai are just as iconic to me, and by being titles, they are not silly when you talk about them in a conversation.

Kamehameha is never translated, hell one of my coworkers even said it and I'm certain they're not all that into manga or anime.
Genki Dama is translated as Spirit Bomb though.

Kater

Banned
Doesn't "Nakama" just stand for crew mate in One Piece? I hear some other pirates also use it and they don't really mean it like Luffy does when he talks about Zoro, Nami and the rest of his crew.

translating kamehameha ruins the joke anyways. It was a pun on a famous Hawaiian king's name, or something like that

Doesn't "Nakama" just stand for crew mate in One Piece? I hear some other pirates also use it and they don't really mean it like Luffy does when he talks about Zoro, Nami and the rest of his crew.

You could just translate it as friend it isn't a nautical term.

Anyway Oda seems to be using more family terms for pirates these days like Whitebeard and Doflamingo playing up crew being family and now Luffy is being asked to be the daddy.

But words like Nakama are popular because it's sort of romantic but no sexy times in the family manga.

Kater

Banned
You could just translate it as friend it isn't a nautical term.

Anyway Oda seems to be using more family terms for pirates these days like Whitebeard and Doflamingo playing up crew being family and now Luffy is being asked to be the daddy.

But words like Nakama are popular because it's sort of romantic but no sexy times in the family manga.
Why did he say that Brook should be his nakama if it means friend. Even someone as... easy going as Luffy knows that something like a friend isn't something you can just get by calling them such.

Well, I guess you could say Nakama means "family"? Since a family is something you have but don't have to like. Some people hate their family. Others love their family, like Luffy, Whitebeard and Doflamingo.

Syntsui

Why did he say that Brook should be his nakama if it means friend. Even someone as... easy going as Luffy knows that something like a friend isn't something you can just get by calling them such.

Well, I guess you could say Nakama means "family"? Since a family is something you have but don't have to like. Some people hate their family. Others love their family, like Luffy, Whitebeard and Doflamingo.

Nakama is friend, period. You can consider all it's synonyms but it will still mean friend, you may interpret it's meaning, but it will still mean friend.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Nakama is friend, period. You can consider all it's synonyms but it will still mean friend, you may interpret it's meaning, but it will still mean friend.

If Oda wanted to say friend he'd write tomodachi. That doesn't mean nakama is some kind of insane complicated thing, though. It just means comrade. Full-stop. "Ship-mate" contextually. I feel like it could be replaced with comrade in every situation and be accurate.

The PROBLEM with that is that in American culture at least "comrade" is almost inexorable from Russian stereotypes. It's like that earlier discussion re: "Ruffy," different cultures use different words because of different existing meanings for things. I wish we could just use comrade! But man that'd be weird.

The fact is, there may not be an exact perfect word in English that connotes nakama and feels natural. "Friend" really does come off too informal, and doesn't come with the "grouping" connotation that nakama implies. Crewmate, maybe that's fine after all.

I definitely prefer any and all of these options to just writing "nakama" in any case.

Russ T

Banned
I feel like this is where the difference between localization and translation comes in. Most of the scanlations are, well, translations. They don't really know how to make something make sense all the time, so they go the easy route.

Localization requires a bit more of a creative writing talent, and in an ideal world, "nakama" would be replaced with "friends", "crewmates", and whatever else depending on the current context.

Ohnonono

The story builds up for a long time that being a ship-mate is a big deal. You don't need magic non-translated words to get that very simple point across. That stuff looks absurd when it is not translated to me.

To each their own.

Veelk

Banned
If we used comrade, it'd become normal after a few chapters. Anyone would realize that the context of Russian stereotypes does not fit the context of the story. It has nothing to do with communism or Russia, so we go back to the base meaning of the word: A kind of companion and ally.

Words are more malleable than people expect.

Lunar15

I'm used to nakama and to my english, weeaboo ears nakama sounds understandably cooler.

But whatever, it is what it is. It's such an important word in the series that I feel it should be kept as is. It does take on a different meaning than what the world probably means, but i'm fine with that.

One Piece is mainstream pop culture so there is no problem having mass market translations that change the language so much you could never even guess it was Japanese. You could even change a lot of the plot and dialogue completely for local audiences so they can laugh at jokes about local politicians or comedians. But with a scanlation I want it straight with as much of the original flavour as reasonable.

Lol, these replies. Might as well not translate any noun. "Strawhat" is a really important word, no? So should we just leave it to "Mugiwara" because it's the Japanese word and because it makes it more magical? Yeah, let's leave every noun to be Japanese and tell our readers to bring a dictionary every time they want to read because apparently not translating a word in a localization makes it more true to the original.

Syntsui

Lol, these replies. Might as well not translate any noun. "Strawhat" is a really important word, no? So should we just leave it to "Mugiwara" because it's the Japanese word and because it makes it more magical? Yeah, let's leave every noun to be Japanese and tell our readers to bring a dictionary every time they want to read because apparently not translating a word in a localization makes it more true to the original.

At least we are learning japanese!

Majukun

well,that it's true when you have words that you can easily translate (like nakama)..but i think that for terms like shichibukai,which are basically made up names,they should be left as in the original..maybe with some explanation on the screen/page the first time the word appears

Veelk

Banned

No no no! Mugiwara is what the filthy gaijin write.

We have to use 麦わらの一味

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
What the hell is going on in this thread?
Jeez, this is why weeks off the worst...

Syntsui

I'm really excited to see how 麦わらの一味 will react next chapter! Am I doing this right?

smurfx

get some go again
I don't think that the void century knowledge is something you can normally use to your advantage. In fact if you reveal that you know something about it you just become a priority target for WG. Entirely possible that Buggy knows a lot of stuff he is too scared to do anything with.
buggy was probably too busy looking for treasure at raftel to even notice anything about the void century or anything else. he probably does know what one piece is and isn't interested in it because otherwise he would be going after it. that or he saw how hard it was to get to it and knows he won't ever get to it on his own.

buggy was probably too busy looking for treasure at raftel to even notice anything about the void century or anything else. he probably does know what one piece is and isn't interested in it because otherwise he would be going after it. that or he saw how hard it was to get to it and knows he won't ever get to it on his own.

Are you talking about Buggy's youth when he was on Roger's ship? Just because he was on the ship doesn't mean he was on it when they reached Raftel. I don't think a person like Buggy has a clue on what the void century is, to be honest.

Well we know that Buggy is mad for any kind of treasure but not so keen on thinking ahead or being reasonable. It's plausible that he knows more than he is saying but it's also plausible that he was too busy chasing a squirrel to notice what was going on.

Kater

Banned
Buggy is a small fish but he always gets into places you'd never expect him to go. I could see Oda having him be in Raffel, not knowing what's the deal with that place.

That dude is so ignorant, I mean, he still complains about having accidentally eaten the Chop-Chop Fruit instead of training his power and becoming stronger.

Buggy is a small fish but he always gets into places you'd never expect him to go. I could see Oda having him be in Raffel, not knowing what's the deal with that place.

That dude is so ignorant, I mean, he still complains about having accidentally eaten the Chop-Chop Fruit instead of training his power and becoming stronger.
Buggy is final battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom