• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Don't they come out on different days of the week, or is that just digital? Last WSJ release was Monday, but as I recall, SJ Japan came out Wednesdays

Shonen Jump comes out in Japan on Mondays.
The chapters we get before that are leaks.

Example: The next One Piece officially comes out September 21st. But it will be leaked online on September 17th.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Keep in mind that Doflamingo wasn't beaten by Luffy singlehandedly. Law did as much damage as he could, plus minor skirmishes before this with Smoker and Kuzan almost killing him with ice and Sanji and having to defend himself against Fujitora's meteors.... I don't know exactly how much HP of Doflamingo's had left before Luffy finally got around to smacking his shit, but Luffy was just the end of a very long and painful day Doflamingo had. Had Luffy faced Doflamingo at full power, he could have lost.
This is 100% true. I don't think Luffy is some super God at this point, at least not yet. If he keeps pulling more crazy G4 forms he could get there, but yeah, he's got plenty of trouble ahead of him.

Good analogy!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Imagine...

Davy Back Fight is moved to after Thriller Bark. The Aokiji, stuff, however is re-worked to still take place before Water 7.

My biggest problem with One Piece, imo, is how there really wasn't any chill period between Brook joining the crew---arguably perhaps this could've applied to Franky?---and I feel like if we got Davy Back Fight after Thriller Bark, and before shit went down, it would've been a great last hurrah for the pre-time skip crew before shit got real. Maybe work in an introduction to the idea of the Supernovas there too or something to lead into the Saobody Arc.

Grexeno

Imagine...

Davy Back Fight is moved to after Thriller Bark. The Aokiji, stuff, however is re-worked to still take place before Water 7.

My biggest problem with One Piece, imo, is how there really wasn't any chill period between Brook joining the crew---arguably perhaps this could've applied to Franky?---and I feel like if we got Davy Back Fight after Thriller Bark, and before shit went down, it would've been a great last hurrah for the pre-time skip crew before shit got real. Maybe work in an introduction to the idea of the Supernovas there too or something to lead into the Saobody Arc.
People would have absolutely lost their shit about the delay in the Ace plot

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I believe Oda mentioned that Thriller Bark was originally going to happen before Water 7, but he did Water 7 first to introduce the new character to be specifically voiced by Kauzki Yao.

Since there's no chapter this week, let's point and laugh at some cancerous Youtube One Piece theory videos.

Like this dreck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8etH12VMJk

Haki Beams? "Color of God" Haki?

HVd7Bc1.gif

Veelk

Banned
While I'm not going to watch it, it always baffles me when people say that anything is implausible in the realm of OP. If Oda thinks it's cool, he'll include it. Haki beams? Yeah, sure, why not. We already know the amazons can embue haki into arrows, why shouldn't Franky and Kuma and the Pacifistas and Kizaru be able to embue their lazers. Color of God? There could be some hidden ability of Haki. Just this arc we learned a devil fruit ability that has up until now been hidden. So sure, a 4th kind of Haki, why not.

No one is saying everything in One Piece is implausible, but when an amateur theory proclaims that haki could allow someone to shoot beams, create weapons, and channel the power of gods like it's Chakra and Nen 2.0, yes.... it becomes very implausible.

Veelk

Banned
What I'm saying is that nothing in OP is implausible. The structure of OP's worldbuilding is made of legoes, not bricks and mortar. Throwing things in, however logically incompatible, is OP's whole thing.

Do you have an explanation for why can't Haki do all that stuff? Take armor haki. We know it can be projected outward to hit people ahead. So instead basically the user shapes their armor to resemble a sword or whatever. Boom, created weapons. They somehow combine their haki with fire/light as they shoot it. Beams. The only thing preventing it from being reality is that no one has done it yet, and no one might, but I'm probably giving it more explanation than Oda would anyway. He'd just have "Oh, yeah, they can do that btw". It's not like we ever got an explanation for why Luffy suddenly has fire powers, but if mere logic that there is no reason he should be able to arbitrarily light himself on fire was enough to make it implausible, it wouldn't have happened.

I'm just saying, you'd have to go pretty damn far down the rabbit hole to argue that something is in the realm of implausibility in One Piece's world. Like, schizophrenia levels of nonsense.

First, let me say that the mystical power in One Piece are the devil fruits. That's the bread and butter of the manga.
Haki is not meant to outdo devil fruit abilities. It's why we received the revelation of devil fruit awakenings, instead of "haki awakenings".

Second, if a sword could be made out of Haki, why do Rayleigh and Shanks carry swords in the first place? Both are very proficient in Haki that it would be no problem for them. If it could be done then why have neither done it so far?

Third, most of the true plausibility of anything in One Piece comes from devil fruit abilities. If it's not the result of a devil fruit ability, then it's either exaggerated physical feats or exaggerated geographic phenomena.

Shooting lasers is a pretty basic and obvious power that probably would've been introduced alongside the other forms of Haki. Considering we already have someone who can shoot lasers the possibility of Haki users being able to do it is pretty low.

Veelk

Banned
First, let me say that the mystical power in One Piece are devil fruits. That's the bread and butter.
Haki is not meant to outdo devil fruit abilities. It's why we received the revelation of devil fruit awakenings

I'm not sure what mysticism has to do with anything, but isn't it the opposite? Devil fruits are just bizarre physics of the universe, but haki is literally your spirit, so it'd seem like it'd be the more mystical ability. And when did this turned into a competetion between devil fruits and haki? I feel like you were having an entirely different argument with me. I'm just saying there's no reason that the abilities you mentioned should be called impossible. It doesn't really matter what DF's are or are not. I'm just talking about what haki is.

Second, if a sword could be made out of Haki, why do Rayleigh and Shanks carry swords in the first place? Both are very proficient in Haki that it would be no problem for them. If it could be done then why have neither done it so far?

Because they arbitrarily want to? I'm still having difficulty understanding the point of swords at all if you can make cuts that travel through the air without them like Kaku demonstrated way back when. Or why it matters what grade your sword is when it's sharpness depends on your will. Seems to me that the greatest swordsmen wouldn't need a sword or even any kind of stick shaped club at all. They'd wave their arms and that would be the blade. But swords are cool, so we have them.

Third, most of the true plausibility of anything in One Piece comes from devil fruit abilities. If it's not the result of a devil fruit ability, then it's either exaggerated physical feats or exaggerated geographic phenomena.

Tell that to the star fish that started talking because it misunderstood a pun and grew up thinking it's human, or Zoro being able to grow 2 heads and 4 arms (or make an illusion out of it, whatever), or the going merry suddenly coming to life because of love, or Franky in general...I can name many more if you want.

It's one piece. it does the fuck it wants.

I'm not sure what mysticism has to do with anything, but okay? Or when this turned into a competetion between devil fruits and haki. I feel like you were having an entirely different argument with me. I'm just saying there's no reason that the abilities you mentioned should be called impossible.

I was letting you know the reason why it's very implausible for haki to do a dozen different things. The reason why haki is still a vague ability that has three different types that each initially do a single job.
It's not a competition at all.

Because they arbitrarily want to? I'm still having difficulty understanding the point of swords at all if you can make cuts that travel through the air without them like Kaku demonstrated way back when. Or why it matters what grade your sword is when it's sharpness depends on your will. Seems to me that the greatest swordsmen wouldn't need a sword or even any kind of stick shaped club at all. They'd wave their arms and that would be the blade. But swords are cool, so we have them.

You didn't explain why Shanks and Rayleigh use swords instead of "haki weapons". You brought up Rankyaku which is technique that hasn't been used by anyone except CP9 thus far. Why exactly would Shanks and Rayleigh use a World Government branded fighting style that doesn't serve as much combat potential like Soru or Geppou?

Swords, polearms, staffs, and other non-projectile weapons can not only extend their reach, but it can used to block and parry. Flashy air cuts..... not so much.

Tell that to the star fish that started talking because it misunderstood a pun and grew up thinking it's human, or Zoro being able to grow 2 heads and 4 arms (or make an illusion out of it, whatever), or franky in general, or the going merry suddenly coming to life because of love, or Franky in general...

It's one piece. it does the fuck it wants.

"It's One Piece. Anything can happen." *handwave motion*

Veelk

Banned
I was letting you know the reason why it's very implausible for haki to do a dozen different things. The reason why haki is still a vague ability that has three different types that each initially do a single job.
It's not a competition at all.

The implausibility of that isn't strong. You're arguing a narrative pragmatism, but addressing internal logic. I'm saying, given the information we've seen thus far, there's no reason that the abilities should be impossible to do. Which means the reason that no one has done them yet isn't because of anything practical like their usefulness, but because no one felt like it.

You didn't explain why Shanks and Rayleigh use swords instead of "haki weapons". You brought up Rankyaku which is technique that hasn't been used by anyone except CP9 thus far. Why exactly would Shanks and Rayleigh use a World Government branded fighting style that doesn't serve as much combat potential like Soru or Geppou?

That's because there isn't a 'reason' they use swords, which is the point I'm making. Characters of OP don't make choices based on practicalities, by and large, or they do but OP is a word where everything is practical, so it makes no difference. Why would anyone care if it's a government technique? Sanji learned Geppou because he wanted to outrun transvestites. If that's the bar for mastering Rokushiki techniques, Shanks and Rayleigh could take an afternoon off to learn the air slashy stuff. eAs for much combat potential, air slashes have been the norm for a while now as far as I can tell. Zoro even considered using one on Pica. So yeah, lots of combat potential. They use swords because they feel like it. If there is a more practical way of going about things? Well, that's cool, but they're still gonna get the job done with swords, mostly because swords are cool. You may as well be saying that if there wasn't a practical reason for calling out attacks, characters wouldn't do it. There isn't and they do. Mostly because it's cool (in Japan anyway)

Swords, polearms, staffs, and other non-projectile weapons can not only extend their reach, but it can used to block and parry. Flashy air cuts..... not so much.

Well, you know, except for the fact that they have. The most you can argue is that having a physical weapon in your hands makes it easier to focus your cutting ability (which is the actual thing that matters, as opposed to the physical blade) than going off pure imagination, but that's it.

"It's One Piece. Anything can happen." *handwave motion*

Pretty much. Which is why I find objections to the plausibility of anything to be unfounded. Some things might be more plausible than others, but implausibility in OP's context means more "We don't have any reason to believe that" instead of "it's unlikely for that to happen". The only really implausible things we might see are things we have external reasons outside the story to disbelieve. Like if someone suggested the next arc would have an epic and sweeping romance between Nami and Usopp as it's main focal point, there's no reason to disbelieve that except that Oda has stated he doesn't intend to focus on Nami and Usopp's romance.

The implausibility of that isn't strong. You're arguing a narrative pragmatism, but addressing internal logic. I'm saying, given the information we've seen thus far, there's no reason that the abilities should be impossible to do. Which means the reason that no one has done them yet isn't because of anything practical like their usefulness, but because no one felt like it.

The implausibilty is very strong, because haki is not Chakra or Nen. It's not a conventional energy system like those two.
I know what type of writer Oda is and based on the portrayal and simplicity of the power, I have a solid idea of what he wants Haki to be and it's use in the story.

That's because there isn't a 'reason' they use swords, which is the point I'm making. Characters of OP don't make choices based on practicalities, by and large, or they do but OP is a word where everything is practical, so it makes no difference. Why would anyone care if it's a government technique? Sanji learned Geppou because he wanted to outrun transvestites. If that's the bar for mastering Rokushiki techniques, Shanks and Rayleigh could take an afternoon off to learn the air slashy stuff. eAs for much combat potential, air slashes have been the norm for a while now as far as I can tell. Zoro even considered using one on Pica. So yeah, lots of combat potential. They use swords because they feel like it. If there is a more practical way of going about things? Well, that's cool, but they're still gonna get the job done with swords, mostly because swords are cool. You may as well be saying that if there wasn't a practical reason for calling out attacks, characters wouldn't do it. There isn't and they do. Mostly because it's cool (in Japan anyway)

There isn't a reason why most of the typical pirate looking characters use typical pirate-y weapons like swords and guns? Come on.

This isn't a world where everything is practical, Veelk. It's a world where those with skill and creativity can make almost anything practical. Almost.
No matter how you want to twist it, air slashes can't block attacks, they can't parry, they can't feint, they can't disarm someone's weapon. When it comes to close combat, they're not effective.

Well, you know, except for the fact that they have.

By all means, show me where in One Piece they were used in the ways I've mentioned. I'll wait.

Pretty much. Which is why I find objections to the plausibility of anything to be unfounded. Some things might be more plausible than others, but implausibility in OP's context means more "We don't have any reason to believe that" instead of "it's unlikely for that to happen". The only really implausible things we might see are things we have external reasons outside the story to disbelieve. Like if someone suggested the next arc would have an epic and sweeping romance between Nami and Usopp as it's main focal point, there's no reason to disbelieve that except that Oda has stated he doesn't intend to focus on Nami and Usopp's romance.

You're missing the point. I never said anything was impossible in One Piece.

But given the way the author foreshadows and builds his story along with the way the story is structured, some things that are literally fan-fiction are unlikely to happen.
Just because this is a fantasy world with fantasy elements doesn't mean it can ignore basic story conventions and established rules set by the author.

Majukun

once we had our haki explanation from the right hand man of the pirate king, I think we can pretty much say that the basic rules of haki are set in stone.. of course there may be variants like the g4, but they will still be based on what we already know.. no lasers (that's borsalino's and kuma's shtick), no weapons of energy.. haki is not chackra, it's not nen, it's not ki.. oda is not that kind of author that writes things on the fly

Power up theories are annoying in a way. It's like, we can guess that Luffy was going to have gear 4th at some point because powering up for a major fight is a basic convention of the genre and we all know how to add 1 to 3. But speculation about vulcanisation is just trying to second guess Oda.

You can see the over thinking in that someone has done some research on the mechanical properties of rubber and thinks that obviously this would be the best path for Luffy's development. But some other guy just notices that Oda loves animals and thinks that it would be cool if Luffy had some strong animal themed attacks.

Lunar15

once we had our haki explanation from the right hand man of the pirate king, I think we can pretty much say that the basic rules of haki are set in stone.. of course there may be variants like the g4, but they will still be based on what we already know.. no lasers (that's borsalino's and kuma's shtick), no weapons of energy.. haki is not chackra, it's not nen, it's not ki.. oda is not that kind of author that writes things on the fly

I know what you're getting at and I agree on Haki, but Oda himself admits that he writes a lot of things on the fly. Like the supernovas, which he drew and added on a whim. I think he's just good at incorporating his flights of fancy into the framework he has in mind, so we never really notice.

Majukun

I know what you're getting at and I agree on Haki, but Oda himself admits that he writes a lot of things on the fly. Like the supernovas, which he drew and added on a whim. I think he's just good at incorporating his flights of fancy into the framework he has in mind, so we never really notice.

he added them to the sabaody arc because his editor said that the arc was "too empty" with "only" the camie kidnapping ,the teryuubito and kizaru as enemies and the crew disbanding...so he made them appear sooner than they should,but they were already part of the story..what he decided on the spot was their designs

Veelk

Banned
The implausibilty is very strong, because haki is not Chakra or Nen. It's not a conventional energy system like those two.
I know what type of writer Oda is and based on the portrayal and simplicity of the power, I have a solid idea of what he wants Haki to be and it's use in the story.

So external reasons then, nothing internal about the logic of the story. Which is what I was getting at.

There isn't a reason why most of the typical pirate looking characters use typical pirate-y weapons like swords and guns? Come on.
No practical reasons, no. Aesthetic ones. Like you said, typical pirate people want to do typical piratey things, but that has nothing to do with practicality.

This isn't a world where everything is practical, Veelk. It's a world where those with skill and creativity can make almost anything practical. Almost.
No matter how you want to twist it, air slashes can't block attacks, they can't parry, they can't feint, they can't disarm someone's weapon. When it comes to close combat, they're not effective.

By all means, show me where in One Piece they were used in the ways I've mentioned. I'll wait.

https://youtu.be/5UUz0NMlSU4?t=107

Here, Zoro and Kaku fire two air slashes at each other, canceling out the damage to each other, irrefutable proof that an airslash can block. And if they can do it far away, they can do it close range.

I don't think you understand what an actual airslash is relative to a sword slash. All that both of them are is an application of force, when making any kind of move. All that a block/parry is is the surge of force being used for a different purpose (attacking an attack, rather than a person). As such, If an airslash can attack, there is literally no physical reason that an airslash can't block or parry. A feint is a body motion, not a sword one, and as is disarming. The only real difference between them is one is carried on by physical solid matter (the sword) while the other is simply force itself traveling through air.

I think the difference of opinions is that what your getting at is that you think if a person is in close combat, hitting arm vs sword is a different mechanism than hitting sword vs sword. In the real world, sure, but not in a world where you can fire surges of force out of your arm, because when that happens, an equal force is hitting the sword back, nullifying their application of force with your own (assuming they're opponents of equal strength), which is what a block is. If it's strong enough to push them back, that's what a parry is. If they use that surge of force where the opponent is vulnerable, that's what an attack is. So as you can see, functionally speaking, there is no differnece between having a physical sword and a air sword if you can produce surges of force like this, in a physical sense.

Now, as far as I remember, I can agree that there isn't a case where airslashes were used in close combat, but my point in all this is that there is no reason they can't be, so there is no reason to preferring swords except aesthetic reasons. Maybe you are arguing that a hand wave has to be completed for an airslash, which if its blocked by a physical object it can't be? Well...maybe, if that's the case, but that's where Haki comes in and hardens the limb up. At that point, you're just using a club that still manages to have a sword edge, which essentially makes it a sword for practical purposes.

You're missing the point. I never said anything was impossible in One Piece.

But given the way the author foreshadows and builds his story along with the way the story is structured, some things that are literally fan-fiction are unlikely to happen.
Just because this is a fantasy world with fantasy elements doesn't mean it can ignore basic story conventions and established rules set by the author.

No rules are being ignored! I told you how it's possible within the boundaries of the rules established. Your counter to this is basically appealing to Oda's personal characteristics. That's all well and good, but that's not the argument I'm making. I'm saying this isn't implausible because of anything within the world of OP itself, established as it is now. It's perfectly plausible there. Whether Oda chooses to use it there is on him, but it's nothing to do with how probable things are within the world of OP.

RomanceDawn

This is One Piece, anything can't happen. When people say the opposite it makes me cringe.

Oda established rules and he plays very fairly with those rules within the narrative. We get gradual build ups to try and put pieces together, the only things that you can't predict are naturally the purposeful plot twists, fruit abilities, new characters and island themes. Most anything else is fair game and Haki beams or color of god is not one of them. Everything we've seen of Haki has been more or less based on the reality of Chi/Ki in martial arts cultures. That theory posted above makes it all sound more like magic/religious powers and its clear to me Haki won't go that far.

Based on what we know and what we have been given there is an extremely good chance there will be no kamehamehas in One Piece. I could certainly see equivalents where the user doesn't have to physically touch the enemy but nothing to the level of entire weapons or laser beams. Combining fruit abilities with both types Haki is one thing because Eneru outright did it and I'm certain Kizaru was doing it with his light sword VS Rayleigh.

Even fruit awakenings could be argued to have been hinted at since Enies Lobby. Maybe even as early as Crocodile's talk about training fruit powers and not merely being content with just having them. Though I doubt Oda had it in mind way back then. But even Aokiji and Akainu were probably another hint at it. Just because you can summon lava doesn't mean you can create a working volcano that works indefinitely. That is of course your ability is awakened and like Doffy said, affects the environment it's self.

Now all that isn't to say just because we haven't been given hints of Color of God that it can't happen in the future, it's just we've been given a very clear explanation of what exists in the realm of Haki. Oda leave it open to do what he wants but only within those 3 colors. What would god do, control people with his thoughts?

Veelk

Banned
Now all that isn't to say just because we haven't been given hints of Color of God that it can't happen in the future, it's just we've been given a very clear explanation of what exists in the realm of Haki. Oda leave it open to do what he wants but only within those 3 colors. What would god do, control people with his thoughts?

For the record, I didn't make it that far into the video. I only know from what Bishop suggested, Haki Beams, Haki Weapons. Whatever the video suggested Color of God is, I didn't see it and didn't make any impressions on it. I just outlined how Haki beams and weapons are already possible.

As far as controlling thoughts, isn't that what the Conqueror haki is supposed to be? I mean, the only application we've seen with it is that it knocks scrubs out and controls animals, but if that all it can do is knock people you'd be able to beat easily anyway, then it seems like it'd be the weakest Haki, when it's built up to be the best. So my idea was that has mind control abilities in general and it just needs refining to control people like it does beasts.

Majukun

For the record, I didn't make it that far into the video. I only know from what Bishop suggested, Haki Beams, Haki Weapons. Whatever the video suggested Color of God is, I didn't see it and didn't make any impressions on it. I just outlined how Haki beams and weapons are already possible.

As far as controlling thoughts, isn't that what the Conqueror haki is supposed to be? I mean, the only application we've seen with it is that it knocks scrubs out and controls animals, but if that all it can do is knock people you'd be able to beat easily anyway, then it seems like it'd be the weakest Haki, when it's built up to be the best. So my idea was that has mind control abilities in general and it just needs refining to control people like it does beasts.

that's because haoshoku is a symbol and not something with a particular usefulness in combat between "big guys"

people with haoshoku are feared because of their incredible spirit that makes them able to achieve greatness

they are not great because they have it,they are great,so they have it.

Veelk

Banned
that's because haoshoku is a symbol and not something with a particular usefulness in combat between "big guys"

people with haoshoku are feared because of their incredible spirit that makes them able to achieve greatness

they are not great because they have it,they are great,so they have it.

Considering all the high level powers that don't have it (or are atleast not confirmed to have it), seems unreliable as an indicator of greatness to me. Like, it guarentees that the person will be 'great', but not in a huge world power sort of way. Hancock has it, and all she's done is sit on her ass with it until Luffy needed a favor.

Majukun

Considering all the high level powers that don't have it (or are atleast not confirmed to have it), seems unreliable as an indicator of greatness to me. Like, it guarentees that the person will be 'great', but not in a huge world power sort of way. Hancock has it, and all she's done is sit on her ass with it until Luffy needed a favor.

hancock is a shichibukai,one of the most feared pirates in the entire onepiece world..so it's not like she is a nobody.
also,it's a predisposition,an abundance of spirit and will more than anything..it doesn't mean you have to reach the top of the world (or any organisation) at all
hell,ace had it and choose to serve under another man

just as akainu said it, talking about luffy,they are a threat...a bomb that might or not explode,and you should be careful handling them and fear them.

Veelk

Banned
hancock is a shichibukai,one of the most feared pirates in the entire onepiece world..so it's not like she is a nobody.
also,it's a predisposition,an abundance of spirit and will more than anything..it doesn't mean you have to reach the top of the world (or any organisation) at all
hell,ace had it and choose to serve under another man

just as akainu said it, talking about luffy,they are a threat...a bomb that might or not explode,and you should be careful handling them and fear them.

I know, it's just that the Marines fear seems overemphasized if all it is is an indicator that a person might be a threat, some day, some how. But these are the same guys who think having a pirate daddy means they'll be the same, so I can see how they'd lose their shit. I just didn't expect them to be such... Drama Queens. I thought they atleast had a solid idea of what they were trying to prevent, but I guess not.

Bunch of chickens with their heads cut off, the lot of them.

Lunar15

Yeah, I'm a little unclear as to whether Haki is something you're born with and you have to train up or something you earn through your willpower.

Oda kinda jumps around with the concept, so it's unclear.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, I'm a little unclear as to whether Haki is something you're born with or you earn through your willpower.

The way I understood it is you need to be born with Conqueror's Haki, but anyone can learn the other two. While anyone can learn the other two, most people will just be better at one of them.

Chariot

But...Luffy is a clear threat to the WG and has been since Arlong Park.
I don't think Arlong Park was of paricular notice in the grand scheme of things. A he beat a small fry and a small fish who didn't bother the WG not a lot. Probably lots and lots more going on in the Grandline and the New World on a regular basis. Just remember how many dangerous pirates we only met so far, how many were beaten without us ever seeing them and how many we have yet so see. At Arlong Park Luffy was just another one of a lot of smaller threats.

Squishy3

Yeah, I'm a little unclear as to whether Haki is something you're born with and you have to train up or something you earn through your willpower.

You need to be born with Conqueror's Haki, pretty much anyone with the intent to do so can learn armament/observation Haki. I'm sure there's some limits to it but at this point any characters being introduced that aren't grunts probably have the ability to use one or the other or both.

Majukun

actually it has been explained (kinda),this is what i got putting the pieces together.

haki is something that dwells in every person ,but you have to train to utilize it.
this training needs lots of time,and it happens that some people never manage to utilize haki even training all their life.
one is usually good with one type but can learn both busoushoku and kenbunshoku (rayleight says it)

kenbunshoku can be "unlocked" by traumatic events or pure predisposition,since it's a "passive" ability (coby and aisa,both had it without training)

busoushoku instead needs training because is a way to actively utilize one's haki willingly,by coating him/herself or a weapon (we never saw someone imbued haki unwillingly..also it makes sense that if you need to manipulate your haki,you need to know what you are doing and what haki is)

both can be trained and utilized in symbiosis with other powers (ener's mantra and luffy's g4 as primary examples)

haoshoku is something you are born with and can't be trained..since it's an "ourburst" of spirit,it can come out on his own during stressful situation (rayleight says it,also we have several instances of these outbursts,like luffy numerous times,or ace during the flashback.)

the one thing that doesn't add up is when you can or can't utilize haoshoku.
Whitebeard was unable to utilize his at marineford ,presumeably because of his conditions to stop ace's execution...but luffy was able to use it when half dead because of Magellan's poison.
All would be simple if whitebeard didn't have it to begin with..but for what i remember,there's a panel in marineford where his crew confirms that WB indeed possess haoshoku just like shanks and luffy

Different characters seem to have different levels of conqueror haki ability. When Shanks visited Whitebeard his crew had to be warned about his haki and Shanks seems to be able to constantly use a powerful conqueror aura without even thinking about it. But at Marineford it was clear that it wasn't part of Whitebeard's fighting style and he found it hard to concentrate enough to use it when he needed to. I think Hancock commented that she wasn't able to use it deliberately as well as Luffy managed unconsciously.

I think like the "D" thing it isn't clear if it's something to do with bloodline, souls or is a literal gift from the one piece gods.

The thing that makes the combining haki thing seem like BS the most is that Doffy had all 3 haki in very strong forms and it wouldn't have been like him to not tap into power he could of.

Majukun

Different characters seem to have different levels of conqueror haki ability. When Shanks visited Whitebeard his crew had to be warned about his haki and Shanks seems to be able to constantly use a powerful conqueror aura without even thinking about it. But at Marineford it was clear that it wasn't part of Whitebeard's fighting style and he found it hard to concentrate enough to use it when he needed to. I think Hancock commented that she wasn't able to use it deliberately as well as Luffy managed unconsciously.

I think like the "D" thing it isn't clear if it's something to do with bloodline, souls or is a literal gift from the one piece gods.

actaully think she said the opposite..that luffy wasn't able to use it willingly yet (implying that she can)

also,rayleight says that the haoshoku grows with the spirit and character development of the user

actaully think she said the opposite..that luffy wasn't able to use it willingly yet (implying that she can)

also,rayleight says that the haoshoku grows with the spirit and character development of the user

Didn't she say that she was able to use it willingly but with her training she couldn't do what Luffy did? I might go back and look at it later.

I'm tired, so I'm going to keep this short.

No practical reasons, no. Aesthetic ones. Like you said, typical pirate people want to do typical piratey things, but that has nothing to do with practicality.

Everything I said about why plain air slashes aren't practical for close combat was in the previous post I made.

https://youtu.be/5UUz0NMlSU4?t=107

Here, Zoro and Kaku fire two air slashes at each other, canceling out the damage to each other, irrefutable proof that an airslash can block. And if they can do it far away, they can do it close range.

Cancelling out is not the same as blocking.

If they wanted to do it at close range, then they'll end up making physical contact with their weapons, because that wouldn't even allow the slashes to leave their blades.

I don't think you understand what an actual airslash is relative to a sword slash. All that both of them are is an application of force, when making any kind of move. All that a block/parry is is the surge of force being used for a different purpose (attacking an attack, rather than a person). As such, If an airslash can attack, there is literally no physical reason that an airslash can't block or parry.

A wild air slash that can no longer be controlled once it's left the blade would fail miserably at blocking, let alone parry which requires control.

A feint is a body motion, not a sword one, and as is disarming. The only real difference between them is one is carried on by physical solid matter (the sword) while the other is simply force itself traveling through air.

Also requires controlling the force of the motion.

I think the difference of opinions is that what your getting at is that you think if a person is in close combat, hitting arm vs sword is a different mechanism than hitting sword vs sword. In the real world, sure, but not in a world where you can fire surges of force out of your arm, because when that happens, an equal force is hitting the sword back, nullifying their application of force with your own (assuming they're opponents of equal strength), which is what a block is. If it's strong enough to push them back, that's what a parry is. If they use that surge of force where the opponent is vulnerable, that's what an attack is. So as you can see, functionally speaking, there is no differnece between having a physical sword and a air sword if you can produce surges of force like this, in a physical sense.

You're using extremely liberal definitions of blocking, parrying, and attacking.
There's a clear difference in the amount of finesse and control between using a sword effectively and using an air slash effectively.

Now, as far as I remember, I can agree that there isn't a case where airslashes were used in close combat, but my point in all this is that there is no reason they can't be, so there is no reason to preferring swords except aesthetic reasons.

A rocket launcher or a grenade isn't used in close combat, but there's no reason why they can't be.
Effectiveness and efficiency are the reasons why.

Maybe you are arguing that a hand wave has to be completed for an airslash, which if its blocked by a physical object it can't be? Well...maybe, if that's the case, but that's where Haki comes in and hardens the limb up. At that point, you're just using a club that still manages to have a sword edge, which essentially makes it a sword for practical purposes.

What?

No rules are being ignored! I told you how it's possible within the boundaries of the rules established. Your counter to this is basically appealing to Oda's personal characteristics. That's all well and good, but that's not the argument I'm making. I'm saying this isn't implausible because of anything within the world of OP itself, established as it is now. It's perfectly plausible there. Whether Oda chooses to use it there is on him, but it's nothing to do with how probable things are within the world of OP.

The world of OP doesn't function independently by itself.
The writer is the one who shapes the story and the world. Whether something is implausible or not all falls on whether Oda wants it to be plausible or not.

Veelk

Banned
Cancelling out is not the same as blocking.

Yes it is. That is the literal definition of blocking. The cancellation of force by another force.

A wild air slash that can no longer be controlled once it's left the blade would fail miserably at blocking, let alone parry which requires control.

Parrying is just warding off your opponents attack. It has nothing to do with control. If the air slash hits the attack, then it'll block/parry the attack, regardless of the users intentions. It could be a complete accident, it'd still be a block.

Also requires controlling the force of the motion.

Are you making up your own definitions for things? Because that's the only way this applies. It's an aspect of air slash that, having seperated from the user, is a consequence that it's no longer directly under the users control, but it's by no means a definitive aspect of it. If the consequences of an action are part of it's inherent definition, you would have to argue that defecating is part of the definition of eating, simply because it's a consequence of it that everyone has to do, and if you do not poop, that means, by your logic, it must be impossible to eat. Which is an absurd way to define things.

You're using extremely liberal definitions of blocking, parrying, and attacking.
There's a clear difference in the amount of finesse and control between using a sword effectively and using an air slash effectively.

You want me to bring out Meriam Webster here? Those definitions aren't liberal, they're highly conservative if anything. This is, in the most literal sense, how basic physics work. Forces moving against other forces. You cancel out a force, you've blocked it. Control has nothing to do with it. When we have an eclipse, we say that the moon is blocking the sun, but it doesn't happen under anyone's control. Now, you might disagree with how practical it is to do these things relating to finesse and control, but it's pretty definitive that this is what these actions are and do and Air slashes do accomplish them.

But trying to argue in terms of finesse and control in OP is a fools errand. One piece has never been about those things. There are literally hundreds of techniques that, by all reason, should be significantly ineffective or lacking in control in actual fights for those exact reasons. The way Arlong try to bite people mid combat is a suicidally dangerous move because they are exposing their head (a very vulnerable area) to attack for the chance of a very easy to dodge attack. Mihawk's giant sword and its oversized guard is straight up idiotic. It'd throw off the balance and get in the way of a lot of basic manuevers. Law's nodachi is, in real life, meant for taking down horses, but the way he uses it would be highly impractical. The guy wouldn't be able to unsheathe the stupid thing because is clearly longer than his arm span.

But in the world of OP, Arlong's bite is a tactically sound technique. In OP, Mihawk's sword is perfectly balanced within his hand and never interferes with his techniques. In OP, Law can easily unsheathe and resheathe his sword without trouble. And you're going to argue that a 0 sword style would somehow be impractical because of finesse and control? Have you been reading this manga?

I repeat my earlier assertion: It's one piece. it does the fuck it wants.

A rocket launcher or a grenade isn't used in close combat, but there's no reason why they can't be.
Effectiveness and efficiency are the reasons why.

Quite incorrect. Using explosives would give splashback of force to the user. Assuming you don't care about that, grenades are fantastic close range weapons, highly effective in their destructive capabilities, which is why they are used in suicide tactical combat.

But it's a bad analogy in any case. Air Slashes have no splashback.

A sword cut is just a certain amount of force applied to a very small area. The only difference between a sword and a club is that the area that the sword strikes at is much smaller. Following me so far? Now, it's established by Kaku that he can use air strikes that are of equivelent sharpness to a sword, even though his feat obviously don't have the small area of the edge of a sword. As such, the purpose of the sword (which is to apply a very small area to put pressure on) is rendered null and void. People can just use their limbs to function as swords, which is the whole argument I am making.

The limits to this, as you implied in the first quote I mention here, is that a swing has to be completed for the air slash to leave the blade or in this case limb (apparently). I have my doubts about this, but even if that is a factor, Haki can be used as a substitute weapon for using hard weapons for close range combat. Even more so if Haki users can make external swords out of their haki, which they should be able to since we already know Haki can be projected out of the body. As such, physical swords are, at best, an aesthetic choice people choose to employ. Anything you can accomplish with a sword you should be able to accomplish without one, going by the rules OP has established.

The world of OP doesn't function independently by itself.
The writer is the one who shapes the story and the world. Whether something is implausible or not all falls on whether Oda wants it to be plausible or not.

No, the world of OP, as what has been written thus far, does function independently. It's future is dependent on Oda, but not it's function in the past and present. If Oda died right now, the world of OP would not disappear. Hell, it wouldn't if he did. Just Oda's particular vision of it would. Another author would continue it his own way however.

And Oda's authorial power may have influence over the events of the future, that has nothing to do with the internal logic of the story. Lets examine this hypothetical: Say there is a boy that needs to light a campfire. He has plenty of dry fire wood and lighting fluid and a lighter. However, the writer is the kind of writer that does not want to use obvious methods, so he has the boy ignore those things and try to do something else. Is it plausible for the boy to light the fire? Now, if you know this writer as a particular one that refuses to use obvious and practical methods, then you would be forced to argue that the boy has no plausible way of lighting a fire. However, the world he has set up, lighting a fire IS very plausible, even if the writer won't allow it to happen that way. That's the source of our disagreement. You are trying to argue it using external reasons.

Me? I never really care who the writer is or what his intentions or preferences or styles are. I care about the product itself. And hte product itself has the rules set up that allow Haki beams and weapons. Whatever Oda chooses to do with that is his own business, but simply does not change that the world he has as of now set up.

Yes it is. That is the literal definition of blocking. The cancellation of force by another force.

Parrying is just warding off your opponents attack. It has nothing to do with control. If the air slash hits the attack, then it'll block/parry the attack, regardless of the users intentions. It could be a complete accident, it'd still be a block.

Are you making up your own definitions for things? Because that's the only way this applies. It's an aspect of air slash that, having seperated from the user, is a consequence that it's no longer directly under the users control, but it's by no means a definitive aspect of it. If the consequences of an action are part of it's inherent definition, you would have to argue that defecating is part of the definition of eating, simply because it's a consequence of it that everyone has to do, and if you do not poop, that means, by your logic, it must be impossible to eat. Which is an absurd way to define things.

You want me to bring out Meriam Webster here? Those definitions aren't liberal, they're highly conservative if anything. This is, in the most literal sense, how basic physics work. Forces moving against other forces. You cancel out a force, you've blocked it. Control has nothing to do with it. When we have an eclipse, we say that the moon is blocking the sun, but it doesn't happen under anyone's control. Now, you might disagree with how practical it is to do these things relating to finesse and control, but it's pretty definitive that this is what these actions are and do and Air slashes do accomplish them.

But trying to argue in terms of finesse and control in OP is a fools errand. One piece has never been about those things. There are literally hundreds of techniques that, by all reason, should be significantly ineffective or lacking in control in actual fights for those exact reasons. The way Arlong try to bite people mid combat is a suicidally dangerous move because they are exposing their head (a very vulnerable area) to attack for the chance of a very easy to dodge attack. Mihawk's giant sword and its oversized guard is straight up idiotic. It'd throw off the balance and get in the way of a lot of basic manuevers. Law's nodachi is, in real life, meant for taking down horses, but the way he uses it would be highly impractical. The guy wouldn't be able to unsheathe the stupid thing because is clearly longer than his arm span.

But in the world of OP, Arlong's bite is a tactically sound technique. In OP, Mihawk's sword is perfectly balanced within his hand and never interferes with his techniques. In OP, Law can easily unsheathe and resheathe his sword without trouble. And you're going to argue that a 0 sword style would somehow be impractical because of finesse and control? Have you been reading this manga?

I repeat my earlier assertion: It's one piece. it does the fuck it wants.

Quite incorrect. Using explosives would give splashback of force to the user. Assuming you don't care about that, grenades are fantastic close range weapons, highly effective in their destructive capabilities, which is why they are used in suicide tactical combat.

But it's a bad analogy in any case. Air Slashes have no splashback.

A sword cut is just a certain amount of force applied to a very small area. The only difference between a sword and a club is that the area that the sword strikes at is much smaller. Following me so far? Now, it's established by Kaku that he can use air strikes that are of equivelent sharpness to a sword, even though his feat obviously don't have the small area of the edge of a sword. As such, the purpose of the sword (which is to apply a very small area to put pressure on) is rendered null and void. People can just use their limbs to function as swords, which is the whole argument I am making.

The limits to this, as you implied in the first quote I mention here, is that a swing has to be completed for the air slash to leave the blade or in this case limb (apparently). I have my doubts about this, but even if that is a factor, Haki can be used as a substitute weapon for using hard weapons for close range combat. Even more so if Haki users can make external swords out of their haki, which they should be able to since we already know Haki can be projected out of the body. As such, physical swords are, at best, an aesthetic choice people choose to employ. Anything you can accomplish with a sword you should be able to accomplish without one, going by the rules OP has established.

No, the world of OP, as what has been written thus far, does function independently. It's future is dependent on Oda, but not it's function in the past and present. If Oda died right now, the world of OP would not disappear. Hell, it wouldn't if he did. Just Oda's particular vision of it would. Another author would continue it his own way however.

And Oda's authorial power may have influence over the events of the future, that has nothing to do with the internal logic of the story. Lets examine this hypothetical: Say there is a boy that needs to light a campfire. He has plenty of dry fire wood and lighting fluid and a lighter. However, the writer is the kind of writer that does not want to use obvious methods, so he has the boy ignore those things and try to do something else. Is it plausible for the boy to light the fire? Now, if you know this writer as a particular one that refuses to use obvious and practical methods, then you would be forced to argue that the boy has no plausible way of lighting a fire. However, the world he has set up, lighting a fire IS very plausible, even if the writer won't allow it to happen that way. That's the source of our disagreement. You are trying to argue it using external reasons.

Me? I never really care who the writer is or what his intentions or preferences or styles are. I care about the product itself. And hte product itself has the rules set up that allow Haki beams and weapons. Whatever Oda chooses to do with that is his own business, but simply does not change that the world he has as of now set up.

I really like your analysis. Mihawk said in the beginning of One Piece that a sword is simply an iron bar without the user's own skill. It's possible that someone could theoretically make a sword out of Haki and use it. However as Haki is something that can be drained and need recharge as shown with Luffy after using Gear 4, it makes sense for people to use actual swords to conserve energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom