• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxn

Thinker: What if an Admiral (Fujitora) joins the StrawHat crew, either now, or when they get ready to face Yonkos and shit.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Sorry, Nakama is untranslatable just like Ore, Sanjou.
Bisoromi Bear

Fuck, I remember that one from the horrible Japanese -> Chinese -> English scans that used to be popular.

Tizoc

The dub in general is pretty good, all of the main voices are on point.

I also love how Brook responds to Luffy's question
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BijI8E186XI

EDIT: Oda you son of a bitch
KRZBbSQ.jpg

From Ch. 594

Correct me if I'm wrong but this cover was more of a 'what if' thing right?

Yes. Also notice Ace's tattoo is different since in this reality Sabo was still alive (although of course he turned out to be alive anyway but at the time Luffy and Ace thought he was dead).

EDIT:

Oh yeah forgot about the tattoo.

Lol, just noticed that I wrote avatar for some reason when I meant tattoo. Sorry about that, glad to see that you understood what I was saying anyway. Brainfart, I guess.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Buggy is a small fish but he always gets into places you'd never expect him to go. I could see Oda having him be in Raffel, not knowing what's the deal with that place.

That dude is so ignorant, I mean, he still complains about having accidentally eaten the Chop-Chop Fruit instead of training his power and becoming stronger.
Maybe he really liked swimming.

DJwest

Still can't believe Luffy beat a Shishibukai the caliber of Doflamingo. The Yonkou and Admirals aside, Luffy does not have many significant threats in the new world. Unless I'm forgetting someone lol.

Tizoc

Still can't believe Luffy beat a Shishibukai the caliber of Doflamingo. The Yonkou and Admirals aside, Luffy does no have many significant threats in the new world. Unless I'm forgetting someone lol.

Captain Kid(d), Kaidou and Blackbeard at least would be his primary threats.
Heck 2 years have passed since we some characters, who knows if Rob Lucci even got a mega power up and now has Emperor Haki :p

Still can't believe Luffy beat a Shishibukai the caliber of Doflamingo. The Yonkou and Admirals aside, Luffy does no have many significant threats in the new world. Unless I'm forgetting someone lol.

Plenty of other pirates are still threats for sure, and most people say Mihawk might be stronger than Doffy.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Plenty of other pirates are still threats for sure, and most people say Mihawk might be stronger than Doffy.

I dont think thats true tbh, at least none of the ones that are known so far. Mihawk is a special case but outside of the Yonkou there arent any Pirates the Strawhats should have issues with. Luffy is the Supernova Top Dawg.

Oda might introduce or reintroduce older characters who might be a bigger threat to the Strawhats...but right now only the Top Marines and Pirates are a real threat.

Captain Kid(d), Kaidou and Blackbeard at least would be his primary threats.
Heck 2 years have passed since we some characters, who knows if Rob Lucci even got a mega power up and now has Emperor Haki :p

Kaidou and BB are Yonkous so ofc they are a mayor threat. Kidd is probably strong - but unlikely that he is on a level that Luffy and the Strawhats couldnt handle. Maybe pre time skip - but 2 years of Rayleigh training means that Luffy is likely the No. 1 supernova. Then again Law was surprisingly strong post time skip - his development was enormous when he OHKO`d Vergo and bitchslapped Smoker.

I dont think thats true tbh, at least none of the ones that are known so far. Mihawk is a special case but outside of the Yonkou there arent any Pirates the Strawhats should have issues with. Luffy is the Supernova Top Dawg.

Oda might introduce or reintroduce older characters who might be a bigger threat to the Strawhats...but right now only the Top Marines and Pirates are a real threat.

Yeah, maybe that's true, but if Supernovas team up they could be a threat, and also I'm sure there are pirates in the New World who we haven't seen yet.

DJwest

Like who ? Past enemies who have received major power us? I miss Enel man. If there are significant new threats outside of the Yonkou and the Admirals, they have probably not been introduced to the manga yet. CP0 maybe? And i agree that Mihawk is a major boss, but that cake is for Zoro to eat.

There is always a possibility that the other Supernovas reached that "awakened"-state of their DF powers. Kidd's power could be frightening in that state.

Btw. i don't remember, but do we know if all DF types can reach this level? Or is it limited to (certain) Paramecia (like DoFlamingo) and Zoan (like the animal guards in Impel Down)?

Tizoc

Speaking of Lucci, wonder if him and his crew joined the revolutionary army or started their own faction or something :p

EDIT: The Straw Hat being Roger's originally is interesting; at the start of the series Shanks says the hat is very important to him was he really that close friends with Roger or something?

Chariot

I hope Oda is rather reintroducing old characters than to up the ante with just new more powerful characters. That's how power creep happens.

Syntsui

Kuma, Mihawk, the 3 admirals, WB crew's captains, Lucci and the Yonko. I can't imagine anyone else that can possibly be realistically more powerful than Luffy.

Tizoc

Kuma, Mihawk, the 3 admirals, WB crew's captains, Lucci and the Yonko. I can't imagine anyone else that can possibly be realistically more powerful than Luffy.

Just because Oda hasn't shown them yet doesn't mean they're not out there :p

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yeah, maybe that's true, but if Supernovas team up they could be a threat, and also I'm sure there are pirates in the New World who we haven't seen yet.

Yup, at the end nothing is predictable...Oda will come up with Situations that will put the Crew in Danger. I mean the Whitebeard Pirates were untouchable pretimeskip and certain events ended up in them losing their Captain and a Commander.

The crew being divided from time to time, main fighter like Zoro or Luffy being injured might play a part as well.And as you mentioned...other Pirates teaming and ganging up on them is also likely.

That being said...i think the bigger battles and Arcs post-Dofla will only be against the Top Yonkous and Marine Admirals/WG. Even if there are strong 3rd party fractions, it would feel a bit cheap to introduce much stronger and significant characters that late in the story.

I could see the WG Elders being strong as well - but thats just speculation at this point. While someone like Lucci might come back and be relevant again - i dont think Oda will introduce characters who have been beaten by Luffy before and have them be somehow be stronger than Luffy...thats just unlikely. He will be handled like Crocodile.

Chariot

Just because Oda hasn't shown them yet doesn't mean they're not out there :p
Yeah, there are probably quite some people outside the system. You only get famous if you're actually doing something. There could be strong fighters who are operating where the public doesn't look or that have fun laying low. That's why I hope that Mihawk is only the strongest swordman by name and someone stronger is somewhere out there living his day by fishing calmy.

Tizoc

Just want to re-iterate that the Wano Country arc should really put focus on Zoro, it can have a major villain for Luffy to take down as is the norm, but whoever is the master swordsman needs to be them vs. Zoro.

Speaking of which, what are Zoro's swords right now? He got a 'cursed sword' from Loguetown, would anything be revealed about it you think?

If Zoro's cursed sword was one of the best quality named blades then Tashigi would have known it's name when he bought it. It's supposed to be significantly lower quality than his other two swords. Pretty sure it was the one making the weird noise when Zoro did his big attack and was shown in more detail than normal.

The maker's story is apparently important so I think there might be an event where Zoro replaces it with a Mihawk quality sword by the same maker. The real story in Japan is that the swords by Muramasa were said to drive people insane even though they were the highest quality. But in reality that was just propaganda because they were used by the losing side in a conflict.

The other two are related to the stories of Kuina and Ryuuma. Ryuuma's sword is a national treasure of Wano so you would expect that to be a plot point if anything.

An interesting one is Cabbage's Durandal. That's a named sword with a name about as subtle as calling it Excalibur but it's quality is technically unknown. It could be the same quality as Mihawk's sword.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Just want to re-iterate that the Wano Country arc should really put focus on Zoro, it can have a major villain for Luffy to take down as is the norm, but whoever is the master swordsman needs to be them vs. Zoro.

Speaking of which, what are Zoro's swords right now? He got a 'cursed sword' from Loguetown, would anything be revealed about it you think?

Wadou Ichimonji, the one that belonged to Kuina and her family.
Sandai Kitetsu (or Kitetsu III), the cursed sword
Shusui, the black sword that belonged to Ryuma

Before Shusui, his third sword was Yubashiri, but it got destroyed by Shu and his Rust Rust Fruit in Enies Lobby.

We still know nothing about Kitetsu's curse.

There's four levels of graded swords.
12 Supreme Grades (Mihawk's blade Yoru is the only confirmed one)
21 Great Grades (Wadou Ichimonji and Shusui are two of them)
50 Skillful Grades (Yubashiri was this, and apparently Tashigi is in possession of one called Kashu, but the only source on that is a Databook)
Numerous Graded Swords (Sandai Kitetsu falls under here. Tashigi's sword Shigure is one too).

Majukun

Wadou Ichimonji, the one that belonged to Kuina and her family.
Sandai Kitetsu (or Kitetsu III), the cursed sword
Shusui, the black sword that belonged to Ryuma

Before Shusui, his third sword was Yubashiri, but it got destroyed by Shu and his Rust Rust Fruit in Enies Lobby.

We still know nothing about Kitetsu's curse.

There's four levels of graded swords.
12 Supreme Grades (Mihawk's blade Yoru is the only confirmed one)
21 Great Grades (Wadou Ichimonji and Shusui are two of them)
50 Skillful Grades (Yubashiri was this, and apparently Tashigi is in possession of one called Kashu, but the only source on that is a Databook)
Numerous Graded Swords (Sandai Kitetsu falls under here. Tashigi's sword Shigure is one too).

isn't cavendish's sword one of the supreme swords as well?

Veelk

Banned
I do hope we get to see some cool swords in wano because Oda is oddly really good at designing them and giving them stories. I laughed at the crew crying over Merry, but felt a little sad over Yubashiri. If there was any sword I'd want to get in real life from one piece, it'd be that with the wavey blade and lacquer exterior.

RomanceDawn

I do hope we get to see some cool swords in wano because Oda is oddly really good at designing them and giving them stories. I laughed at the crew crying over Merry, but felt a little sad over Yubashiri. If there was any sword I'd want to get in real life from one piece, it'd be that with the wavey blade and lacquer exterior.

I didn't think monsters like you existed outside of fiction!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I didn't think monsters like you existed outside of fiction!

He said before that the character he most relates to is Kidd (the sociopath that crucified a pirate crew leaving the New World and reported to have slaughtered countless people). It's best to ignore him.

Veelk

Banned
He said before that the character he most relates to is Kidd (the sociopath that crucified a pirate crew leaving the New World and reported to have slaughtered countless people). It's best to ignore him.
*shrug* I don't have anything like antisocial personality disorder in real life and I empathize fine characters of other works of fiction. However, one piece characters are too unhuman for me to empathize with, so yeah, sociopaths (characters who cannot relate to those around them) are the ones most similar to my mind space regarding this manga. I use to also highly relate to doflamingo, but it turns out his cruelty comes from bitterness and rage for being denied his entitlements, which isn't what I feel at all. Kidd, as far as we know, kills people not out of some sense of justice, twisted or not, but out of annoyance. As the vast majority of OP characters annoy me, yes, I relate to that.

It's my honest reaction to the story. Sorry if it's inherently offensive to you, but it's not like I'm trolling or anything. It's just a failure to connect. It happens all the time, really, if you look.

smurfx

get some go again
i think mariejoa probably has some royal guards that are admiral caliber. after all who would protect them if an admiral went rogue?

Kater

Banned
tumblr_nu1liwPp9k1rm4m3wo2_1280.jpg

Hehe

(source)

Edit:

I like that Oda said in an SBS in Vol 74 that he cried the most to that scene in Alabasta where Vivi begs the soldiers to stop fighting when drawing it. We share something there. ^^

Jigolo

I like that Oda said in an SBS in Vol 74 that he cried the most to that scene in Alabasta when drawing it. We share something there. ^^[/QUOTE]

What scene?

Kater

Banned
Oh, forgot to write which scene exactly he meant. xD Sorry! It was the scene where Vivi shouts and begs everyone to stop the war, to end the fight.

Still can't believe Luffy beat a Shishibukai the caliber of Doflamingo. The Yonkou and Admirals aside, Luffy does not have many significant threats in the new world. Unless I'm forgetting someone lol.

You and a few other members are forgetting about the top fighters of every Emperors' crew.

If Marco, Jozu, and Vista are anything to go off of, the monsters that are a notch below the Emperors will really give Luffy a run for his money.

Veelk

Banned
Keep in mind that Doflamingo wasn't beaten by Luffy singlehandedly. Law did as much damage as he could, plus minor skirmishes before this with Smoker and Kuzan almost killing him with ice and Sanji and having to defend himself against Fujitora's meteors.... I don't know exactly how much HP of Doflamingo's had left before Luffy finally got around to smacking his shit, but Luffy was just the end of a very long and painful day Doflamingo had. Had Luffy faced Doflamingo at full power, he could have lost.

Chariot

Keep in mind that Doflamingo wasn't beaten by Luffy singlehandedly. Law did as much damage as he could, plus minor skirmishes before this with Smoker and Kuzan almost killing him with ice and Sanji and having to defend himself against Fujitora's meteors.... I don't know exactly how much HP of Doflamingo's had left before Luffy finally got around to smacking his shit, but Luffy was just the end of a very long and painful day Doflamingo had. Had Luffy faced Doflamingo at full power, he could have lost.
True. But sadly he looked pretty well and Luffy also had quite some fights behind himself. Granted, none of his enemies were as hard as Domingos, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom