• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fishman Island, Punk Hazard, Dressrosa.

Now, I feel the immediate response is "That costume makes sense for reasons"

Rather than immediately trying to refute the reasons, lets keep in mind that this train of thought is remarkably consistent throughout the series. Whether there is or isn't a reason for it, isn't it suspect that women are always provocative? I mean, even when the clothing is nonsexual, such as this

It's drawn remarkably tight with an emphasis on her breasts. Or how even thick winter coats outline themselves to their figure.

At a certain point, it stops being the clothing itself, but how the female figures are drawn. I remember a thread discussing female in comics, and one person gave a cover of Rouge in a very tight outfit, in a position showing off her body. Then he gave the cover by a different artist, in the same outfit, with the same position, but it wasn't anywhere near as sexual. The biggest difference I could tell was that the outfit didn't hug her body like it was 2 sizes too small, and just with that small change, Rouge didn't feel anywhere close to being as sexualized, despite not much changing. Even when Oda gives them rare sensible clothing, they're drawn to be sexualized, so it's hard to avoid.

The female body can be an enigma to lots of artists it seems. Easier to wrap clothing around a reference model for the female body than to try and work out how specific clothing adjusts to different types of bodies.

You know i cant lie...zoro is kinda pulling me in to his crazy hype world his new world self has been perfection..starting from his "i got on the wrong ship"...man come on oda help my boy sanji

Oxn

You know i cant lie...zoro is kinda pulling me in to his crazy hype world his new world self has been perfection..starting from his "i got on the wrong ship"...man come on oda help my boy sanji

And he hasnt even opened his eye yet. Do you understand just how crazy thats going to get when it happens? The magnitude of the event?

Veelk

Banned
The female body can be an enigma to lots of artists it seems. Easier to wrap clothing around a reference model for the female body than to try and work out how specific clothing adjusts to different types of bodies.

I would give Oda more credit than simply saying he's incompetent. As an artist, he seems to take joy in drawing pretty much anything.

For one, I think most everyone agrees that he managed to draw women without being overly sexual about it in the beginning of the manga. And he also managed to draw them before without the same exaggerated hourglass figure too.

But if he truly has trouble with it, there are plenty of peers he can look to of how it ought to be done. And in any case, he certainly doesn't seem to have a problem giving men clothing that fits normally over their bodies.

But if he truly has trouble with it, there are plenty of peers he can look to of how it ought to be done. And in any case, he certainly doesn't seem to have a problem giving men clothing that fits normally over their bodies.

I don't know, Oda seems to love his man speedos and the "Open jacket with no shirt to show off my tight 8 packs" look.

Zoro's post-timeskip re-introduction was really cool.

f65ad0ef19367773f5801827fad7f642.png

6f923d86f3e69fea9650854e2f144672.png

Also, dat hair remake

4a5c1990cb802d5f2ef34868abf1edd9.png

Veelk

Banned
I don't know, Oda seems to love his man speedos and the "Open jacket with no shirt to show off my tight 8 packs" look.

He does indeed, but that's not what I'm getting at. When Robin wears clothing in a normal climate, it's highly revealing of both her skin and figure. When Robin wears clothing in a winter climate, it's not revealing of her skin, but it is her figure.

Compare, say, Usopp. He's all muscular post time skip. On the other hand, when he wears a winter coat...

latest

It looks like a goddamn winter coat. If men were on the same level playing field as women, it should be hugging his figure tightly enough to atleast see that he has a developed torso and a thin waist. His biceps should be straining against the fabric on the arms, so that we never forget what a hot bod he has.

Another example is Zoro. He is by far the most muscular strawhat.

latest

He could have had his far thinner Pretimeskip body if they copy and pasted his head on here. Because while the tux is meant to be stylish, it's not meant to be sexualized. Same reasons as Usopp, his wide torso isn't emphasized, or his huge ass arms. He could be Pretimeskip Usopp thin under there if he wanted. Oda could draw him in a sexual way in his tuxedo, but he doesn't because he's not trying to sexualize him. He is never not trying to sexualize women.

He does indeed, but that's not what I'm getting at. When Robin wears clothing in a normal climate, it's highly revealing of both her skin and figure. When Robin wears clothing in a winter climate, it's not revealing of her skin, but it is her figure.

Compare, say, Usopp. He's all muscular post time skip. On the other hand, when he wears a winter coat...

It looks like a goddamn winter coat. If men were on the same level playing field as women, it should be hugging his figure tightly enough to atleast see that he has a developed torso and a thin waist. His biceps should be straining against the fabric on the arms, so that we never forget what a hot bod he has.

Another example is Zoro. He is by far the most muscular strawhat.

He could have had his far thinner Pretimeskip body if they copy and pasted his head on here. Because while the tux is meant to be stylish, it's not meant to be sexualized. Same reasons as Usopp, his wide torso isn't emphasized, or his huge ass arms. He could be Pretimeskip Usopp thin under there if he wanted. Oda could draw him in a sexual way in his tuxedo, but he doesn't because he's not trying to sexualize him. He is never not trying to sexualize women.

I see that alot with male artists, since most just don't find men sexy but want to draw idealized women.

Gosh I really want to know who that 7th Shichibukai is, I don't think it will be revealed in Chap 800 as I'm hoping its going to be about the World Meeting Fujitora had mentioned. But just wow. All I know is devil fruit & cut off Z's arm & its a male. He's gotta be really strong.

Gosh I really want to know who that 7th Shichibukai is, I don't think it will be revealed in Chap 800 as I'm hoping its going to be about the World Meeting Fujitora had mentioned. But just wow. All I know is devil fruit & cut off Z's arm & its a male. He's gotta be really strong.
I keep forgetting about that, i wonder what's the deal with that guy

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

IT'S PANDAMAN

Veelk

Banned
I see that alot with male artists, since most just don't find men sexy but what to draw idealized women.

No, they draw idealized men. They draw sexualized women. There is a difference. There are ways to draw look looking women without emphasizing their sexual features. They can be gender neutral, or feminine, or even scantily without being hyper sexualized. And I will take this as my cue to blast you with random fanart of other series.

These are just a few that I found. Death in that last one is dressed in her usual black tank top, but I don't think she's being needlessly sexualized in that picture, even though the angle is ideal to look down her breasts. The others look distinctive without being hyper sexualized.

I tried to find fan art of Nami and Robin to help prove my point, but Deviant art is literally SWARMED with sexualized pictures of them. I don't mean just fan art of Robin and Nami that happen to be true to their sexualized nature, but even being more gratuitous than the show, often having outright sex or getting ready for sex. The closest I found to pictures that weren't hyper sexualized were cosplayers who literally cannot have boobs as protruding as them. For comparison's sake, I also searched Danaerys Targaryen, who is one of the most sexual figures in a highly sexual show and I found her in feminine, but not hyper sexualized clothing in the first page.

That's as much of a demonstration of the effects of sexualization that I can find. When I search Luffy, do you know what I find? Him in Roger's coat, a gif of him with Arlong's teeth, a hyper realistic drawing of him, one with cool fan art clothes, a scene where he fights Zoro, him confronting Blackbeard. I see maybe 2 or 3 that might be construed as provocative. Fans see Luffy as a character, with a past, with a future, with epic moments, with iconic imagery. When they see Nami and Robin, they see nothing but a sexual object. That should be considered disgraceful by anyone that claims the OP fandom values these two as characters.

Veelk

Banned
Hey, I'm not disagreeing with that, I'm just saying I see the sexualized stuff more often.

Well, yeah, this isn't just an oda problem. Unfortunately, the vast majority of comic artists do it, american and japanese. There's just no point in making any kind of excuses for them. They are sexually objectifying women. That's wrong. They shouldn't do that. End of story, really. OP can still be an enjoyable manga for a lot of different reasons and these people aren't the devil, but it's a very widespread problem all the same.

Sorry for the double quote but this scene just shadows to me what mihawk did to Don Kriegs ship.

Quite telling, quite telling indeed.

Yeah, it is definitely a throwback to that. It's the first move we saw Mihawk do, and it's the first move Zoro does after training with Mihawk.

The scenes with Mihawk during the Baratie arc were really good, by the way. Really underrated arc in general. The scenes with Sanji are really good too (of course; it's "his" arc).

Oh my god look I get it. I get that this is a problem. But I swear well over half the pages in this thread are the SAME THING.

We've talked it to death can we just let it go?

Oh my god look I get it. I get that this is a problem. But I swear well over half the pages in this thread are the SAME THING.

Take my advice jus ignore it and talk about something else that what everyone else is doing. Nothing we can do about it,its what they want to talk about they have the right no matter how much it gets bought up

Btw, not sure if this was brought up back with the whole Fujitora weapon gravity thing, but in the latest chapter you see him sheathing his sword and the rubble stays floating.

So his sword isn't actually necessary, I think.

Lttp.

I think maybe we're going to see Kaido next chapter. Plus Luffy's answer to his the fleet (this one is a given). Plus maybe a call from Fujitora to Akainu.

Veelk

Banned

You want to know the funny thing? I know I'm the guy that argues this most out of anyone here. But I didn't draw the conversation to this point. This is how it got started: Fun to Compute mentioned how Sabo was meant as female fanservice, which made cloud (and me) inquire as to why, the conversation turned to female fanservice in general, fanservice in general, and then we wound ourselves back to this. But I'm just going with the flow. It's not like I'm specifically gearing the conversation toward this.

I didn't start the last conversation on it either.

And frankly, I think it's disingenuous to try to just not talk about it when it is the central pillar of any female character design. Wherever the straw hat crew goes, however strange and innovative their adventures, there is a scantily clad, highly sexualized woman in it. When we get the new chapter tomorrow or Thursday, there's probably going to be some T and A for us to oogle. Like, I understand that everything to be said has been said about it, but when it's one of the most constant elements of the story, in your face in almost any chapter that has women in it, how can you not talk about it?

Sure, I can wait until the next chapter. It'll just spring up again.

Exactly. It's inevitable, not because any one of us specifically wants to talk about it, but it's what we are constantly bombarded with.

Oxn

Btw, not sure if this was brought up back with the whole Fujitora weapon gravity thing, but in the latest chapter you see him sheathing his sword and the rubble stays floating.

Lttp.

You know what would be super cool, kind of to just show that hey, Doffy is not stronger than me and this is how ill show it without actually fighting him?

Lift dressrosa out of the water.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Zoro is the best. Too bad almost all of his versions in Treasure Cruise are below average characters. 6-star Zoro please.

On topic, I like and hate Sanji simultaneously. Post time skip, his goatee makes me angry.

Russ T

Banned

The more you talk about it, the more people become aware of it.

What's wrong with talking about it? It's important.

Also, since I started reading this thread I dunno, a few weeks ago (aka well over a dozen pages ago), this is the first time I've seen this topic pop up, so if it did, it didn't last long, I think. Hardly seems like half pages, let alone over half, unless it's severely front-loaded.

Lttp.

Yeah I remember when he was gambling he struck those guys with his sword & then when sheathing it the gravity took over.

I hate to say it the majority of people really think 800 is going to have something to do with Big Moms tea party

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I swear I thought you were going to link a clip of Zoro ShiShi SonSon-ing Kuma.
That's up there too, probably no. 2, honestly.

The first one is so well directed, almost cinematic in approach. That shit doesn't happen often in OP anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom