• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not them either. There's no such thing as "service for females" in One Piece. It doesn't even make sense. In fact, it's a perverted way of thinking altogether. All these characters were created for story-telling purposes; they're not made just to be "eye candy" or some such, that's just bizarre. And on that note, you can find plenty of fan art for most major characters in One Piece, male or otherwise, so it's not like characters need to be created exclusively to serve such needs, as it were.

Are you talking about male characters here? There's no way you can mean there's no fan-service in One Piece.

Veelk

Banned
I think there's a difference between "no fan service" and "made just to titillate people"

That is literally what fanservice is colloquially defined as. That which is done to serve the fans, typically sexually. Personally, I don't like the term because it's hard to divide what is done to 'serve the fans' in a story. Arguably, every story is fanservice, since it's all meant to be a positive experience for the audience of some kind. But in the context of what we're talking about, yeah, that's exactly what fanservice is.

That is literally what fanservice is colloquially defined as. That which is done to serve the fans, typically sexually. Personally, I don't like the term because it's hard to divide what is done to 'serve the fans' in a story. Arguably, every story is fanservice, since it's all meant to be a positive experience for the audience of some kind. But in the context of what we're talking about, yeah, that's exactly what fanservice is.

yeah but I can't remember any one piece character who's sole purpose was to be sexy fanservice.

That's why I am suspecting it's sarcasm, but Wolf here might prove me wrong.
Yeah, iunno.

yeah but I can't remember any one piece character who's sole purpose was to be sexy fanservice.
Rebecca? lol, she's like fucking 16. I mean, you could argue every character has some kind of relevance to the plot, especially so in One Piece, but I don't think sole intent matters when it's literally 24/7 with many of the major female characters in this series.

Veelk

Banned

It's hard to think of a character in any manga or story that is truly solely meant as fanservice. Most of them have some excuse, however thin. But it'd be unreasonable to argue that, say, Nami's primary purpose isn't to be fanservice. Yeah, she does navigating in the background as they travel and is there for humor and occasional exposition, but 90% of the time, she's there for fap material.

There's no piece of female fanservice that is anywhere near as blatant as that, and I don't think that was Ace's primary role was to be fanservice either, but he was probably the most fanservicey character heterosexual women/homosexual men had, because of prior mentioned perpetual shirtlessness.

Sabo is pretty badass, but I'm not seeing how he's specifically a female-fan service character definitively.

In terms of physique and facial structure he isn't too different from Ace. His personality is less puppy dog I guess but he still fairly similar. He has blonde hair and dresses very smartly in almost a steampunk fashion. But he still gets his shirt off fairly early as Lucy Sabo. I would say that he has was made to appeal to women more than most characters if only just by who he is and how reliable he is.

Veelk

Banned
In terms of physique and facial structure he isn't too different from Ace. His personality is less puppy dog I guess but he still fairly similar. He has blonde hair and dresses very smartly in almost a steampunk fashion. But he still gets his shirt off fairly early as Lucy Sabo. I would say that he has was made to appeal to women more than most characters if only just by who he is and how reliable he is.

We're talking about sexual fanservice. I mean, if Oda's logic to be believed, then Franky and Kuma are major fanservice characters because he's a robot, and all males love robots.

Which is why I hate the term fanservice. If merely picking something that just has appeal is fanservice, then there is little that isn't fanservice, not just in OP, but in storytelling in general. There has to be more to it than that or else the term is worthless.

Personally, I highly doubt when Oda drew Sabo's clothing that he was thinking "oh, yeah, women and women specifically are going to cream themselves over this"

We're talking about sexual fanservice. I mean, if Oda's logic to be believed, then Franky and Kuma are major fanservice characters because he's a robot, and all males love robots.

Which is why I hate the term fanservice. If merely picking something that just has appeal is fanservice, then there is little that isn't fanservice, not just in OP, but in storytelling in general. There has to be more to it than that or else the term is worthless.

Personally, I highly doubt when Oda drew Sabo's clothing that he was thinking "oh, yeah, women and women specifically are going to cream themselves over this"

Yeah, I was basically going to say this. But I definitely see where you're coming from, Compute. Just not the "fanservice" I was thinking of when I initially responded.

Uh...help me out here, is this sarcasm or not?

No.

It's hard to think of a character in any manga or story that is truly solely meant as fanservice. Most of them have some excuse, however thin. But it'd be unreasonable to argue that, say, Nami's primary purpose isn't to be fanservice. Yeah, she does navigating in the background as they travel and is there for humor and occasional exposition, but 90% of the time, she's there for fap material.

There's no piece of female fanservice that is anywhere near as blatant as that, and I don't think that was Ace's primary role was to be fanservice either, but he was probably the most fanservicey character heterosexual women/homosexual men had, because of prior mentioned perpetual shirtlessness.

Disgusting.

Worst thing I've read in this entire thread. You can have whatever perversions you want, but there's no chance in hell that Oda sees Nami or Ace as being "90% fap material". The very fact that you even think like this shows a lot about you as a person and how you sexualize women. It's complete nonsense. Seriously, worth saying twice, out of all the garbage I've seen here, this is the worst post.

Veelk

Banned
No.

Disgusting.

Worst thing I've read in this entire thread. You can have whatever perversions you want, but there's no chance in hell that Oda sees Nami or Ace as being "90% fap material". The very fact that you even think like this shows a lot about you as a person and how you sexualize women. It's complete nonsense. Seriously, worth saying twice, out of all the garbage I've seen here, this is the worst post.

Right, just checking. Carry on.

No.

Disgusting.

Dude, what the fuck?

Where does Veelk say he agrees with them being portrayed as such? Denying the fact that fanservice exists doesn't make it go away.

I'm actually baffled you think that the characters in this series (especially the females) aren't specifically designed to elicit a sexual reaction. Look at their tits for god's sake, you can see around the Alabasta arc where it starts to get more and more apparent and in-your-face.

Veelk

Banned
Dude, what the fuck?

Where does Veelk say he agrees with them being portrayed as such? Denying the fact that fanservice exists doesn't make it go away.

I'm actually baffled you think that the characters in this series (especially the females) aren't specifically designed to elicit a sexual reaction. Look at their tits for god's sake, you can see around the Alabasta arc where it starts to get more and more apparent and in-your-face.

He's being sarcastic

Hey I'll give One Piece this, when the women are designed to be sexually appealing at least the manga just does it you know? The women characters wear these revealing outfits, and everything is hunky dorey, no fuss no muss. I get irked when women in manga become these redfaced blobs whenever something slightly romantic or sexual comes up. With One Piece at least it isn't a big deal. And as an added bonus, I actually care about most of the female characters too!

Veelk

Banned
Hey I'll give One Piece this, when the women are designed to be sexually appealing at least the manga just does it you know? The women characters wear these revealing outfits, and everything is hunky dorey, no fuss no muss. I get irked when women in manga become these redfaced blobs whenever something slightly romantic or sexual comes up. With One Piece at least it isn't a big deal. And as an added bonus, I actually care about most of the female characters too!

I feel that takes it to the opposite problem.

Like, the women dress highly provocatively, but OP is otherwise a very asexual manga. No one makes romantic advances, has sex, flirts, etc. The sexuality is there, and it's occasionally acknowledged, but none of the characters react to it in a human kind of way. By all rights, atleast 2 people on the straw hat crew should be fucking daily. But all it ever amounts to is some leering. Even Hancock, who is in love with Luffy, doesn't work toward a relationship other than providing services and then demanding marriage. I really don't get why both Nami and Robin dress as provocatively as they do if they are wholly uninterested in sex. Or why they would be uninterested in sex in the first place. I know girls that are like that, and they like to dress stylishly, but never enticingly, because they see no point for it.

MCD

I feel that takes it to the opposite problem.

Like, the women dress highly provocatively, but OP is otherwise a very asexual manga. No one makes romantic advances, has sex, flirts, etc. The sexuality is there, and it's occasionally acknowledged, but none of the characters react to it in a human kind of way. By all rights, atleast 2 people on the straw hat crew should be fucking daily. But all it ever amounts to is some leering. Even Hancock, who is in love with Luffy, doesn't work toward a relationship other than providing services and then demanding marriage. I really don't get why both Nami and Robin dress as provocatively as they do if they are wholly uninterested in sex. Or why they would be uninterested in sex in the first place. I know girls that are like that, and they like to dress stylishly, but never enticingly, because they see no point for it.

Nami to Kinemon: it's fashion.

I don't really know about that. Nami is the one who usually gets more casual by wearing a bra, but most of the time Nami and Robin are wearing fairly believable clothing.

Veelk

Banned
Nami to Kinemon: it's fashion.

This implies that it's not possible for a woman to be fashionable without being sexually provocative. Obviously wrong.

I don't really know about that. Nami is the one who usually gets more casual by wearing a bra, but most of the time Nami and Robin are wearing fairly believable clothing.

Robin is just as bad, she just happens to be into leather more.

At best, Robin is marginally less blatant about it, but essentially every woman that isn't hideously ugly is made to wear sexually provocative clothing.

Russ T

Banned
Much as I love One Piece (and I do, I goddamn love it a lot), I am loathe to pretend that there isn't a lot of overt sexualization of females.

Rebecca is the most recent example, and she's pretty egregious. Literally wearing bikini armor while fighting in gladiator battles.

Of course, then there's Nami, who has gone through puberty five times over since her introduction. How old was she when she joined the crew? A quick Google says 18, but that sounds wrong, I dunno. Anyway, so now she wears a bikini all the time. Because of course. It's not necessarily the bikini that bothers me, it's just that taken as a part of the whole, it's just "yet another example". Like if she just wanted to wear a bikini, that'd be fine. But she certainly didn't start that way, and there's no real reason for her to have changed, other than her tits got way bigger.

Man I love One Piece, but this kind of shit really bothers me. ):

Anyway, yeah, whatever.

Usopp is still baller.

Not fanservice and women again!! Can the chapter leak this is getting annoying its tge same stuff eveeytime can somebody jus make a separate thread of one piece for it or something there's soooo much to talk about but it always comes full circle again to ft this..I'll quote myself again "at least in the naruto thread the women arguments are about versus matchups not the same thing over nd over"

Veelk

Banned
Not fanservice and women again!! Can the chapter leak this is getting annoying its tge same stuff eveeytime can somebody jus make a separate thread of one piece for it or something there's soooo much to talk about but it always comes full circle again to ft this..I'll quote myself again "at least in the naruto thread the women arguments are about versus matchups not the same thing over nd over"

Can you either contribute to the actual discussion or stop bitching? Because I'm pretty sure it's banworthy to just complain about what people are discussing and I'm perfectly happy to call over a mod if all you intend to do is constantly derail the conversation.

MCD

Much as I love One Piece (and I do, I goddamn love it a lot), I am loathe to pretend that there isn't a lot of overt sexualization of females.

Rebecca is the most recent example, and she's pretty egregious. Literally wearing bikini armor while fighting in gladiator battles.

Of course, then there's Nami, who has gone through puberty five times over since her introduction. How old was she when she joined the crew? A quick Google says 18, but that sounds wrong, I dunno. Anyway, so now she wears a bikini all the time. Because of course. It's not necessarily the bikini that bothers me, it's just that taken as a part of the whole, it's just "yet another example". Like if she just wanted to wear a bikini, that'd be fine. But she certainly didn't start that way, and there's no real reason for her to have changed, other than her tits got way bigger.

Man I love One Piece, but this kind of shit really bothers me. ):

Anyway, yeah, whatever.

Usopp is still baller.

Rebecca's armor is a tribute to characters like Red Sonja, no? I am OK with her costume but the anime made it 100% worse.

Can you either contribute to the actual discussion or stop bitching? Because I'm pretty sure it's banworthy to just complain about what people are discussing and I'm perfectly happy to call over a mod if all you intend to do is constantly derail the conversation.
Didn't come at anybody rude at all what you're doing isn't tho? Did i tell u guys "to stop bitching?" No..did i say u guys were wrong nope but if this is a very strong topic why not bring up a thread for it this same conversation comes completely out of nowhere a couple pages later by the same ppl and no im not the only one that complains about it and im pretty sure i remember seeing u doing this to the last person that said something

Well this thread was actually readable for page or so a while back.

Oh come on.

We talk about other stuff all the damn time.

Russ T

Banned
Rebecca's armor is a tribute to characters like Red Sonja, no? I am OK with her costume but the anime made it 100% worse.

I guess I could see that being the inspiration, although I don't like Red Sonja's various costumes, either. U:

Didn't come at anybody rude at all what you're doing isn't tho? Did i tell u guys "to stop bitching?" No..did i say u guys were wrong nope but if this is a very strong topic why not bring up a thread for it this same conversation comes completely out of nowhere a couple pages later by the same ppl and no im not the only one that complains about it and im pretty sure i remember seeing u doing this to the last person that said something

Well I'm certainly not the same people!

But okay. I think it's a worthwhile conversation. Maybe if you don't like it, just let it take its course and come back when it does.

Or, I dunno, come up with something else to talk about and if people are interested, they'll respond.

Oh come on.

We talk about other stuff all the damn time.
Literally go read a couple pages,you cant talk about a woman on this thread without it turning into a sexist or fanservice discussion we went from taking about the game,to bellamy to rebecca being in the game, to sabo being female fan service(heck il take the convo over tgis its a change of pace,why does zoro always havr his shirt off or ace) u guys are right animes and manga treat women poorly sometimes i jus think ppl get alil tired of the topic nobody was rude about it at least i dont think i was

Literally go read a couple pages,you cant talk about a woman on this thread without it turning into a sexist or fanservice discussion we went from taking about the game,to bellamy to rebecca being in the game, to sabo being female fan service(heck il take the convo over tgis its a change of pace,why does zoro always havr his shirt off or ace) u guys are right animes and manga treat women poorly sometimes i jus think ppl get alil tired of the topic nobody was rude about it at least i dont think i was

I'll admit it got pretty intense the last few pages for sure, but we definitely do talk about other things in this thread.

What do you want to talk about?

Zoro wins, hands down.

But ya'll better expect a huuuuge emotional moment between those two before the series is over. They hate each other but they love each other <3 Bros for life.

Veelk

Banned
Any outfits in particular?

latest
latest
latest

Fishman Island, Punk Hazard, Dressrosa.

Now, I feel the immediate response is "That costume makes sense for reasons"

Rather than immediately trying to refute the reasons, lets keep in mind that this train of thought is remarkably consistent throughout the series. Whether there is or isn't a reason for it, isn't it suspect that women are always drawn provocatively? And I don't even necessarily mean the clothing itself. I mean, even when the clothing is nonsexual, such as this

It's drawn remarkably tight with an emphasis on her breasts. Or how even thick winter coats outline themselves to their figure.

At a certain point, it stops being the clothing itself, but how the female figures are drawn. I remember a thread discussing female in comics, and one person gave a cover of Rouge in a very tight outfit, in a position showing off her body. Then he gave the cover by a different artist, in the same outfit, with the same position, but it wasn't anywhere near as sexual. The biggest difference I could tell was that the outfit didn't hug her body like it was 2 sizes too small, and just with that small change, Rouge didn't feel anywhere close to being as sexualized, despite not much changing. Even when Oda gives them rare sensible clothing, they're drawn to be sexualized, so it's hard to avoid.

No, all you do is come in and whine that the topic has changed to sexism. In fact, you even post about how grateful you are the topic isn't sexism when we aren't talking about it. I don't really care what issues you have with the topic that the very mention of it is a brown note to you, but take it elsewhere if all your going to do is complain about it.

I'll admit it got pretty intense the last few pages for sure, but we definitely do talk about other things in this thread.

What do you want to talk about?
Meh anything will do honestly and again dont wanna seem like im shooting you guys ideal down if it seemed like it i apologize.

Anyway someone put zoro>sanji cant let that fly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom