• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGamer92

Banned
Aw yeah at the Straw Hat Fleet. And there's still Jinbei and most likely Hancock to join later as well. I also suspect the remains of the Whitebeard pirates will eventually join the SH fleet as well.

Kain

Aw yeah at the Straw Hat Fleet. And there's still Jinbei and most likely Hancock to join later as well. I also suspect the remains of the Whitebeard pirates will eventually join the SH fleet as well.

Yep, he's made so many allies I wouldn't be surprised if the WG launched an all out attack on him now.

yep,in two diffeent translations

Seems strange that they would have changed his bounty so quick before Marine HQ could confirm if Fujitora caught him or not.

I wonder now if the Marines are gonna send an admiral or warlord to chase Luffy around the New World considering the level of threat he is now.

Chariot

Yep, he's made so many allies I wouldn't be surprised if the WG launched an all out attack on him now.
WG unter Akainu can be smarter than that. Just take some East Blue people hostage and let Luffy know they will execute them in a month. Ace's execution made a huge mess, but few will care for some random people and since the people themselves are totally unimportant, they can prepare a real good trap for Strawhat - and this could be were he is captured, because he was running in an obvious trap and maybe enabled his friends to escape.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Revos will be gunning for Marine/WG soon I don'think they will have much time and resources to focus on Luffy.

WG unter Akainu can be smarter than that. Just take some East Blue people hostage and let Luffy know they will execute them in a month. Ace's execution made a huge mess, but few will care for some random people and since the people themselves are totally unimportant, they can prepare a real good trap for Strawhat - and this could be were he is captured, because he was running in an obvious trap and maybe enabled his friends to escape.

The WG would be crazy to do something like that .
First you have to choose who the SH care about for that to work .
Then if revs find out you have to deal with them .
Now you have a admiral like fuji who won't agree to something like that even smoker also .
To make matters worst if it got out the WG would lose to much in the eyes of the public.

Veelk

Banned

I don't understand what the WG's PR goal is. If they want to appear as a force of good and justice, literally executing innocent citizens for no reason than stopping another pirate would be counter productive, and just make more allies for Luffy. Plus if they just go around murdering islands, that's inevitably going to cause tensions from within the marines themselves, since the marines are from all over the world. They'd need to find a believable to condemn them for something. I don't know if that's what they did for Ohara, but if have no compulsion of mass murder, then what the hell are they mad at Crocodile and Doflamingo for? They should have no problems with them impeaching territory, since they're supposed to be allowed free reign anyway.

bjork

Speaking of, where the hell ARE the
bounty hunters
of the series?
Zoro
was literally the only one, and he was only one when he was a total scrub. The moment they started being worth something decent, they stopped going after them.

Not that they could capture anyone of any high level, but
Johnny and Yosaku
were a couple.

Oxn

At some point, the
bounties
just become worthless.
Especially for the relatively meager amount it was raised,
considering beating Doflamingo and having Fujitora publicly embarrass them was the biggest damage the strawhats have done to the government yet.

Honestly, who the hell is going to go "Well, shit, that 400,000,000 bounty was worthless, but for 500,000,000, I'll do it!"

Speaking of, where the hell ARE the
bounty hunters
of the series?
Zoro
was literally the only one, and he was only one when he was a total scrub. The moment they started being worth something decent, they stopped going after them.

You dont need to be titled a bounty hunter to collect a bounty on someone you captured. For example blackbeard was going to trade in Bonney for a ship

Veelk

Banned
You dont need to be titled a bounty hunter to collect a bounty on someone you captured. For example blackbeard was going to trade in Bonney for a ship

I know, what I mean is that we've never seen anyone actually go and collect bounties.

Though Blackbeard was either being monsterously stupid, or the WG is in that situation. The guy literally just slapped the WG in the face by dropping the Shichibukai job on national TV and openly declaring he was just using the WG to help himself. Is there any situation in which they will do business with him? Like, they'll actually pay the bounty? They'll actually willingly finance his piracy? For someone as relatively minor as Bonnie? It'd be like an ISIS leader trying to get the US to pay him for the capture of the random minor terrorist.

I know, what I mean is that we've never seen anyone actually go and collect bounties.

We have seen a few bounty hunters think there was one in this arc .
I don't think we ever seen anyone collect bounties .
Still truth is if your strong enough to take down one of big guys you could well as start your own pirate crew .

Blackbeard and Crocodile were probably two of the most famous characters who were bounty hunters for at least some time. Baroque works as a whole recruited a lot of bounty hunters.

When were BB and Croc bounty hunters ?

After Blackbeard went independent he gained fame as a bounty hunter to work up to warlord. He went after Luffy for his bounty and turned in Ace for the bounty.

Crocodile was well known as a "hero" pirate hunter before he was arrested. I think he was often shown in the world news capturing some pirate or other.

After Blackbeard went independent he gained fame as a bounty hunter to work up to warlord. He went after Luffy for his bounty and turned in Ace for the bounty.

Crocodile was well known as a "hero" pirate hunter before he was arrested. I think he was often shown in the world news capturing some pirate or other.

Both of them were still pirates not bounty hunters .
BB went after a 100 million bounty to become a warlord but beat ace instead he did not work his way up .
Hell a short while before he beat ace he was the pirate who destroy drum island .
Croc was a warlord when he was capturing pirates on AB .
We also saw him when roger get kill so most likely he was a pirates since then which was 22years ago .

Both of them were still pirates not bounty hunters .
BB went after a 100 million bounty to become a warlord but beat ace instead he did not work his way up .
Hell a short while before he beat ace he was the pirate who destroy drum island .
Croc was a warlord when he was capturing pirates on AB .

They were pirates but it's not like florists or cheese makers are going to go out and collect big bounties. Changing career to bounty hunter is like a way for a pirate to "go legitimate" in the One Piece world.

They were pirates but it's not like florists or cheese makers are going to go out and collect big bounties. Changing career to bounty hunter is like a way for a pirate to "go legitimate" in the One Piece world.

No it is not and has never been mention in the manga .
As we know once you have a bounty the WG is not going to get rid of it .
Plu it would make no sense for the law to forgive your crimes just because you become a bounty hunter .
That would be a broken system .

bjork

They do exactly that with the warlord system.

It's not specifically due to hunting bounties, though. Or if it is, we don't know who was turned in by anyone other than BB, I think? I thought the idea behind the Shichibukai was to use these big names to discourage folks from becoming pirates.

Now after reading a decent translation...

Absolutely epic chapter! Seeing the SH finally get their fleet and Luffy graduate to being a trully big shot was massive. Now it will be interesting to see what role Law plays in this. We still have seen how he explains his actions in the latter part of Dressrosa and what conclusion he has come to...

Lots of awesome ahead!

bjork

I wonder who those guys were who said they had a deal with Dofla and now they want King Riku to honor it? They don't look familiar.

Chariot

The WG would be crazy to do something like that .
First you have to choose who the SH care about for that to work .
Then if revs find out you have to deal with them .
Now you have a admiral like fuji who won't agree to something like that even smoker also .
To make matters worst if it got out the WG would lose to much in the eyes of the public.
I don't understand what the WG's PR goal is. If they want to appear as a force of good and justice, literally executing innocent citizens for no reason than stopping another pirate would be counter productive, and just make more allies for Luffy. Plus if they just go around murdering islands, that's inevitably going to cause tensions from within the marines themselves, since the marines are from all over the world. They'd need to find a believable to condemn them for something. I don't know if that's what they did for Ohara, but if have no compulsion of mass murder, then what the hell are they mad at Crocodile and Doflamingo for? They should have no problems with them impeaching territory, since they're supposed to be allowed free reign anyway.
You know, it's a corrupt government in a decentralized world that highly depents on the newspaper. They can make shit up. "Oh, those aren't civilians, those are secret pirates. Pirate communists!" and only the Strawhats and some villagers would know. They don't have to burn Alabasta, just get someone unimportant. Hell, take some people from the village at former Arlong Park. They know that Strawhat was there and saved the people. What are they going to do? Complain to the Marines? Do a seagull blog? Hell, thanks to the information monopol most people probably don't even know that the rebels exist.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I definitely didn't even notice the bounty increase. I mean, I read it, but I internalized it as "yep that's his bounty." What would I do without this thread.

cw_sasuke

Funny how we had people arguing last week between Luffy refusing the alliance and other people saying there absolutely would be an alliance since its needed .

Oda be like whynotboth.gif ... lol

I definitely didn't even notice the bounty increase. I mean, I read it, but I internalized it as "yep that's his bounty." What would I do without this thread.
There are worse things you could miss...bountys arent really relevant anymore xD

Unless Oda introduces some Uber New World Bounty Hounters who only get active once you are worth over 500m.

Funny how we had people arguing last week between Luffy refusing the alliance and other people saying there absolutely would be an alliance since its needed .

Oda be like whynotboth.gif ... lol

I don't think anyone who thought Luffy would refuse the alliance didn't also think it would happen regardless

cw_sasuke

I don't think anyone who thought Luffy would refuse the alliance didn't also think it would happen regardless

Im not sure about anyone....but you are right most ppl knew that it needed to happen after this long Arc and the upcoming Chapter being no. 800, no matter how Luffy would react.

Marow

Awesome chapter! That narrator, though. Looking forward to seeing what's coming now.

... whatever happened with Bartolomeo's case, though?

I will eat my fucking hat and suck all the dicks available if we don't get anything big for 800.

Mark this post.
Seems like you win this time, Cloud.

Oxn

Awesome chapter! That narrator, though. Looking forward to seeing what's coming now.

... whatever happened with Bartolomeo's case, though?

Seems like you win this time, Cloud.

I Dunno i wouldn't really call this chapter big...

Blackbeard was a pirate long before he went after Luffy and Ace. He wrecked Drum Kingdom for seemingly little reason before Luffy & CO got there.

cw_sasuke

Marcos need to redeem his pathethic performance at marine fore
He will... He will. Pre time skip Marco was very defensive and all about protecting Whitebeard. I think post time skip will be more aggressive and take out some fools once he reappears.

dwO2249.gif

Excuse to post this.

Syntsui

I don't know, that 2 page spread of the pirates drinking the sake and forming the "underling alliance" felt pretty legendary. Gave me some Arabasta-finale vibes.

It was amazing, yeah. But everyone here predicted that. I'm just glad it's over and we can move on to new crazyness.

tumblr_nus426eN511uf2bomo1_1280.png

That's so Luffy. lol

Man, this was a great chapter. Luffy reacted almost exactly the way I thought he would. But this was happening with or without him, so the underlings just did the ceremony "one-sided".

Sengoku sneaking up on Fujitora was amazing. "I heard you, bruh." XD

Veelk

Banned
You know, it's a corrupt government in a decentralized world that highly depents on the newspaper. They can make shit up. "Oh, those aren't civilians, those are secret pirates. Pirate communists!" and only the Strawhats and some villagers would know. They don't have to burn Alabasta, just get someone unimportant. Hell, take some people from the village at former Arlong Park. They know that Strawhat was there and saved the people. What are they going to do? Complain to the Marines? Do a seagull blog? Hell, thanks to the information monopol most people probably don't even know that the rebels exist.

I find that unlikely. Seagulls are not exactly in short supply and most of the islands they've visited are developed enough to have an independent printing press. They have giant flat screen TV's where the marines broadcast the Marineford War live to them, so they have radio technology, and then there are the abundant denden mushi's that everyone seems to own a their own customized version of. How, precisely, does the WG control all this?

But that's not what I mean. The better question is: Why do they care? As I said, I don't really get their PR situation. It's not like the citizens of the world actually have ever given a shit about the numerous abuses they suffer, and if they are not too stupid to breathe, any amount of scrutiny they apply to the WG's lies would reveal them for what they are. Their justifications are more thinly veiled than North Korea's, but unlike NK, they don't seem to crack down on dissenters for merely speaking out. But at the same time, they don't seem to hold the WG accountable at all.

When Morgan was based in that second Island Luffy visited when he began his journey, he was a blatantly corrupt tyrant within the town. Not only was there no such thing as a supervisor that ensured that shit is kept clean, the marines themselves never rebelled against him. Yet for some reason, the townsfolk didn't seem to hold the Marines accountable as a whole, or the WG. Any corruption was placed upon Morgan and his son. Once they got them overthrown, the marines were like "Okay, now we can run this ship right" and that was it, apparently. Same thing with Nami's hometown, the townfolk didn't seem to express any outrage or resentment for the WG that this was going on. Just Nezumi.

So that's why I don't really get the WG's PR concerns. If they care about keeping up an image of being good, then they are doing a colossally shitty job. Even if a citizen believes every word they say, they are laughably ineffective at everything they do. The smallest amount of scrutiny reveals their corruption. There is no reason I see that citizens should be incapable of communicating with each other. Yet, at the same time, the citizens don't really seem too intent on holding the system as a whole responsible when any individual marine acts out. It took until Dressrosa for an someone to say that the Shichibukai is a fucked system, and that person was an admiral, not someone who is actually under the Shichibukai's power. The idea that the revolutionaries are an unknown group has to be an absurd idea because even if they can't communicate, revolutionaries would be popping up all over the world, as the vast majority of the marines get wrekt by anyone of marginal strength. Unless the citizens generally don't care, which seems to be the case, so why bother with the facade? They might as well be honest about it. "I'm going to start slaughtering citizens until Luffy shows up and kisses my ass" and people will probably just shrug since it's just one of those rare crazy marines just acting out again.

I can't recall a single instance of the Marines negative PR actually working against them. The closest is maybe the whole whitebeard and roger kicking off an era of piracy, but that's more because they through that pirates were awesome rather than that the marines sucked, which is a completely different thing.

Kornflayx

I'm finished with my re-read of OP. Dressrosa is now officially my favorite arc of the series. Being able to read it in one go and not waiting a week per chapter did wonders for it. There's just so much that happened in this arc, it's crazy when you think about it.

And Chapter 791, where Luffy is announced as the winner by Gyats is just the most feel good chapter in a very long time. You can really feel the gigantic stone that was lifted from everyones shoulders. Amazing stuff. And Gyats is the secret MVP of this whole arc.

I'm finished with my re-read of OP. Dressrosa is now officially my favorite arc of the series. Being able to read it in one go and not waiting a week per chapter did wonders for it. There's just so much that happened in this arc, it's crazy when you think about it.

And Chapter 791, where Luffy is announced as the winner by Gyats is just the most feel good chapter in a very long time. You can really feel the gigantic stone that was lifted from everyones shoulders. Amazing stuff. And Gyats is the secret MVP of this whole arc.

That's one way to wrap up what some of us thought was an "ugh, shounen tournament arc".

Lexxism

Hmm. After rereading the chapter (mangastream), are we sure that the 500 million thing was for Luffy? It seems like they were talking about Usopp since they have a negotiation with Doflamingo. And since Doffy was taken out, they are going to talk with King Riku regarding the reward.

Squishy3

Hmm. After rereading the chapter (mangastream), are we sure that the 500 million thing was for Luffy? It seems like they were talking about Usopp since they have a negotiation with Doflamingo. And since Doffy was taken out, they are going to talk with King Riku regarding the reward.
yeah, they're clearly talking about usopp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom