• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One Piece started when I was 7.
I first started reading it when I was 12.
I'm 25 now.

God damn.

RomanceDawn

I started One Piece when I was 16, watching the anime. Caught up with the comic weekly at the end of Thriller Bark. I'll be 30 next year. My 3 year old goes "daddy lets watch One Piece." How the wheel slowly turns.

bjork

I started One Piece when I was 16, watching the anime. Caught up with the comic weekly at the end of Thriller Bark. I'll be 30 next year. My 3 year old goes "daddy lets watch One Piece." How the wheel slowly turns.

I got my dad to start watching it about six months ago. He goes slow, about two episodes per week, so he'll never catch up. But it's fun watching him speculate on stuff that we all found out about years ago now.

smurfx

get some go again
with how fast things happen in the one piece world i wonder if luffy is going to end up calling all the guys up from the alliance again in a week or two to fight kaido. the little blurb at the end made it seem like they were all going to level up and can they even do that in a week or two? remember that luffy came back from his hiatus and reunited with the strawhats and then went to fishman island and finally defeated doflamingo in only a few days time.

bjork

with how fast things happen in the one piece world i wonder if luffy is going to end up calling all the guys up from the alliance again in a week or two to fight kaido. the little blurb at the end made it seem like they were all going to level up and can they even do that in a week or two? remember that luffy came back from his hiatus and reunited with the strawhats and then went to fishman island and finally defeated doflamingo in only a few days time.

Timeskip 2!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I remember when Davy Back was the latest arc in the manga.

The tonal shift of Water 7 actually alienated a lot of fans at the time, believe it or not

I remember when Davy Back was the latest arc in the manga.

The tonal shift of Water 7 actually alienated a lot of fans at the time, believe it or not

Well yeah at the start OP was mostly a gag Shounen Manga. The thought of it being an actual serious story was absurd. Sure there were serious moments, but for the most part it was lighthearted pirate adventures doing lighthearted pirate things. Nobody died, nobody even really got seriously injured except Luffy once, the thought of an actual plot being there was anathema.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Maybe the general internet OP community did, but most fans/casual fans I knew from real life or elsewhere stopped reading or complained a lot during Water 7. I always loved it though.

Thriller Bark even made up for it by being 80% comedy.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
How would an awakened Gum Gum Fruit even work?
Does he turn everything around him into bouncy rubber?

That's the scary thing about it. Knowing how crazy oda can get with powers... luffy could make the space around him contract and expand, basically turning himself into one of those theoretical space engines which warp the space around them to achieve FTL travel.

He could also bend spacetime to create wormholes and teleportation.

Just talking about ways his awakening could make him Kizaru-tier in speed.

Kornflayx

I think it's just going to be that he can turn everything around him into rubber. His fights will take place in a huge bouncy castle. He can also gain a speed increase from jumping from wall to wall like Bellamy. It'll be hilarious

We still haven't seen what Bartolomeo's ship looks like yet. He was hyping it up in the last chapter like it would make the Yonta Maria look like a dinghy.

nobody even really got seriously injured except Luffy once, the thought of an actual plot being there was anathema.

Zoro getting seriously injured was literally a running gag since.... Orange Town?

Everyone was pretty messed up at Alabasta and spent almost a week recovering.

That's an interesting usage of anathema. Your friends didn't like any plot lines in One Piece? Why were they reading? lol

Metal B

That's the scary thing about it. Knowing how crazy oda can get with powers... luffy could make the space around him contract and expand, basically turning himself into one of those theoretical space engines which warp the space around them to achieve FTL travel.

He could also bend spacetime to create wormholes and teleportation.

Just talking about ways his awakening could make him Kizaru-tier in speed.
Wouldn't that make much more sense for somebody, who ate a possible Bent Bent Fruit? Kind of a reverse Luffy and similar how Law is a reverse Buggy.

Well yeah at the start OP was mostly a gag Shounen Manga. The thought of it being an actual serious story was absurd. Sure there were serious moments, but for the most part it was lighthearted pirate adventures doing lighthearted pirate things. Nobody died, nobody even really got seriously injured except Luffy once, the thought of an actual plot being there was anathema.

That argument really holds no weight. Early DB was a gag manga. One Piece always took itself just a little more seriously, even from the beginning.

Yeah, anyone who says One Piece was "gag manga" are talking complete nonsense. The tone was there from the start. There was no tonal shift with Water 7, it was just an increase in intensity.

Nocebo

Yeah, this is nonsense. I don't know up to which chapter you consider "at the start" but remember that guy that got shot in the head and the guy that got his arm bitten off by a sea creature? What was his name again? This was in the first chapter. Then we have oppression of a small village, guys almost dying from starvation. That girl that fell down the stairs and broke her neck... Zorro swearing in tears to make his name heard in heaven or whatever. Etc. etc. Maybe that's typical gag manga stuff, I don't know. I'm not an expert.

The whole becoming pirate king thing and looking for crew members set up an over arching plot right from the start. Big goals for various characters were established pretty early on.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Actual examples of gag manga:
Gintama
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
The Disaster of PSI Kusuo Saiki
Isobe Isobee Monogatari

The spin-off One Piece Party is pure gag manga. It breaks the fourth wall and everything.

Kreed

One Piece 800:

I'm glad Oda took care of any concerns of "too many characters" that I had last chapter. Now Luffy has his fleet and can make fans happy by having them show up occasionally for big battles, and Oda can keep focusing on building up the Straw Hats/telling their story. Still, considering we are probably going right into Luffy and Law vs Kaidou soon, they will probably have to come back soon anyway.

Veelk

Banned
I'm doing a quasi reread (not sure how serious I am about it yet, haven't decided how far I'll go), but the general mechanics of how the narrative worked were always there. Outrageous and nefarious villains, Luffy being chill until he had to kick ass, general weirdness and goofiness, and as for serious stuff, there was always a tragic element in all characters and the grandline had the same sense of foreboding hype that the new world did.

What's different, I think, is that that was the beginning of the manga and we didn't have as strong a sense of the world as then. So when Oda told us to get hype, we had no reference point. With the grandline, we did for the new world. And the dangers weren't vague assumptions. We know know what's out there now. The warlords. The emperors. The eleven supernovas. The highest ranks of Marines specifically out to get them. It's a different ballgame than when your just starting out, knowing nothing.

What's different, I think, is that that was the beginning of the manga and we didn't have as strong a sense of the world as then. So when Oda told us to get hype, we had no reference point. With the grandline, we did for the new world. And the dangers weren't vague assumptions. We know know what's out there now. The warlords. The emperors. The eleven supernovas. The highest ranks of Marines specifically out to get them. It's a different ballgame than when your just starting out, knowing nothing.

I think we had a idea of that by the time mihawk showed up which was rather early .
Yeah things get more crazy afterwards but mihawk gave you a idea what going to happen and then smoker and croc.

Veelk

Banned
I think we had a idea of that by the time mihawk showed up which was rather early .
Yeah things get more crazy afterwards but mihawk gave you a idea what going to happen and then smoker and croc.

I'm currently at the Usopp arc, but we already had gaimon say that he found pirates who shambled back as zombies from the adventures of the grand line because it was so traumatic.

Besides, as you say, Mihawk was just a small idea of what was out there. We also had no idea how fast the strawhats were going to progress or anything. I mean, Ichigo got curbed in a similar manner by Byakuya in Bleach and caught up to his strength relatively quickly. There was no way of knowing if Zoro would do the same in a couple arcs. The rules of OP now are more concrete. We know, for example, it's probably gonna be a while before Luffy can even think about taking on a Yonko, since we now know the power estimates these people have.

ACE 1991

I had a dream one of my good friends had a One Piece themed wedding last night... I haven't followed One Piece since I read Shonen Jump in middle school.

Besides, as you say, Mihawk was just a small idea of what was out there. We also had no idea how fast the strawhats were going to progress or anything. I mean, Ichigo got curbed in a similar manner by Byakuya in Bleach and caught up to his strength relatively quickly. There was no way of knowing if Zoro would do the same in a couple arcs. The rules of OP now are more concrete. We know, for example, it's probably gonna be a while before Luffy can even think about taking on a Yonko, since we now know the power estimates these people have.

When you say a while are you taking about real life time ?
Cause in OP world time he going to be fighting them rather soon .
Still i say the arc for him to fight a yonko should start in about 2 years time .

The awakening idea is kind of strange if you consider how it would apply to every fruit.

Robin's already seems awakened in a way since going by what we know, it would be the difference between her growing extra parts from herself vs growing her limbs into the environment around her, which she already does. The idea that Brooke could resurrect other people (temporarily) seems interesting.

Doffy could create strings from his own body so creating them from the surrounding area seems correct. Luffy is only made of rubber so I don't know if making other things rubber would work.

Veelk

Banned
When you say a while are you taking about real life time ?
Cause in OP world time he going to be fighting them rather soon .
Still i say the arc for him to fight a yonko should start in about 2 years time .

Maybe I misspoke. WHat I meant is that it should be a while before Luffy is on their strength level. Luffy might well go take on the Yonko asap, hell he wants to do so now. But he also just took on Doflamingo, and while he may have won, and I'd still argue that Doflamingo is atleast a little stronger than Luffy, with the only reason that he won being that this has been a very stressful day for our poor flamingo. Even the first hit that Luffy managed to land was due to him and Law working together, not on his own. And the Yonko are an order of magnitude more powerful than him. It's just his character that he doesn't see that as a relevant detail, so he might well go after the Yonko soon.

So who knows when it will actually happen, I'm just saying that we know for a fact that Luffy isn't near their levels of capability yet. However, the point I'm making is that hyping things up in an established world is more potent than hyping them up in the introduction of a story. The time Mihawk was introduced, we as readers didn't have as much understanding of how powers even worked, or how the strawhats would gain power or how fast, or who the people of power exactly were. Oda hyped things up the same way he does now, but the simple fact that we are more familiar with his world means that we take it perhaps more seriously than when he did it at first. At first, it was just a sales pitch, because what author would tell you "And things will never get more dangerous or intense from where you are now"? With an known world, you have an idea of how he's going to mess with the established set pieces of his world, which makes all the difference.

Squishy3

The awakening idea is kind of strange if you consider how it would apply to every fruit.

Robin's already seems awakened in a way since going by what we know, it would be the difference between her growing extra parts from herself vs growing her limbs into the environment around her, which she already does. The idea that Brooke could resurrect other people (temporarily) seems interesting.

Doffy could create strings from his own body so creating them from the surrounding area seems correct. Luffy is only made of rubber so I don't know if making other things rubber would work.
Ever since awakening was revealed I've kinda just assumed the giant limbs is her DF's awakened ability

I like the idea of Garp being put in jeopardy. Not only would it give Luffy a successful chance to stop Akainu from killing his family, but it might also make sense as more D. stuff is revealed, which as we all know, Garp is one too.

There's also a possibility of Dragon coming in to help save his father

smurfx

get some go again
i think robins awakened fruit would allow her to create clones who can also use the fruit. a broken fruit deserves a broken awakening too. luffy's awakening can be him being able to change his rubber properties at will. basically we will finally get vulcanized luffy and he won't have to use haki for defense which would allow him to fight longer. he could also possibly manipulate his surroundings and take advantage of them. imagine him being able to have his punches extend through the ground or buildings. would solve the problem of having to keep up with fast opponents. he would only have to get close to the ground or a building or mountain and then capture them with the extended rubber technique and then pound them with his most powerful techniques. with how crazy some abilities work then maybe gear reverse would allow luffy to bounce back any powerful attack back at his opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom