• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: why do they stick to the specific number of warlords? If they have another war lord they want to hire....well, can't they? Why limit themselves?

Same thing with Yonko. The Yonko aren't a job, they are a title. What happens if another pirate of their level shows up and starts conquering? Are they going to change the name just on that?

Marines are probably afraid of having too many warlords. In reality they keep them around for their names more than their actual power. The fear of these powerful pirates being on the World Government side is supposed to discourage other pirates. Having too many warlords might make the Marines too dependent on their strength.

bjork

My two predictions for the seventh (I guess he's the fifth now) warlord: Eneru or Gin.

I think a returning character would be cool, but I wonder if that spot will be used to reveal someone who was a Level 6 Impel Down prisoner. Have we seen any of them other than whoever was in BB's crew?

Veelk

Banned
Numbering things is pretty common in Sino-Japanese crap. Take a look at the Buddhist canon, and you'll see names like "The Noble Eightfold Path".

In this case, it's about 4 being associated with death, and 7 as a lucky/significant number, from Western custom.

Yeah, that was not lost on me, but what is the explanation within the universe. If a new emperor came along, is the conversation going go..

"Hey, I'm strong and been conquering territories. So I'm an emperor right?"
"Well, no, we already have 4 see."
"So what?"
"4 is a significant number referencing death in Japanese mythology"
"The hell is japan?"
"The country Oda resides in."
"The hell is Oda?"
"He's our writer"
"Oh, I see. I guess I'll be on my way then"

?

Marines are probably afraid of having too many warlords. In reality they keep them around for their names more than their actual power. The fear of these powerful pirates being on the World Government side is supposed to discourage other pirates. Having too many warlords might make the Marines too dependent on their strength.

Fair enough, but if they have 7, then whats one more? They have like a hundred thousand marines, having 10 warlords wouldn't be especially more dependent than having 7.

bjork

Yeah, that was not lost on me, but what is the explanation within the universe. If a new emperor came along, is the conversation going go..

"Hey, I'm strong and been conquering territories. So I'm an emperor right?"
"Well, no, we already have 4 see."
"So what?"
"4 is a significant number referencing death in Japanese mythology"
"The hell is japan?"
"The country Oda resides in."
"The hell is Oda?"
"He's our writer"
"Oh, I see. I guess I'll be on my way then"

Fair enough, but if they have 7, then whats one more? They have like a hundred thousand marines, having 10 warlords wouldn't be especially more dependent than having 7.

I think it would be more like "I'm strong and rather than pick off small islands one at a time, I'll take out one of the four." If everyone could be one, it wouldn't make them a big name, and I guess that's just the way to justify it being written that way?

As for the warlords, maybe he only came up with ideas for seven people initially or something. Seems like some stuff in OP is planned out well in advance, and some just sort of happens.

IHaveIce

Banned
I kinda want the manga to end just to know the ending, but there is still so much stuff I want to know more about and think Oda won't be able to show us all of it.

He may should think of just writing an overview and giving directions and directing spinn offs :( I just want to see so much.

Question: why do they stick to the specific number of warlords? If they have another war lord they want to hire....well, can't they? Why limit themselves?

Same thing with Yonko. The Yonko aren't a job, they are a title. What happens if another pirate of their level shows up and starts conquering? Are they going to change the name just on that?

BECAUSE THERE MUST BE BALANCE IN THE WORLD! WHEN ONE WARLORD IS DEFEATED AND THERE ARE ONLY SIX LEFT THE WORLD IS IN COMPLETE CHAOS!

It doesn't make sense at all, but just go with it.

Oxn

The idea of warlords makes sense, but Yonko does not. Its not like there is some special privilege that comes with being a Yonko. If there were 5 super equally powerful pirate crews, the WG wont just say well we only have room for 4, so someone needs to be left out. It really makes no sense.

All it is, is a title given by the WG.

I wouldn't be caught up on the numbers thing, especially for the Yonko.

Remember Roger? The Pirate King? Do you really think that there were "4 strongest pirates" around while he was top dog?

I'm sure the situation depends on the time period. As for the warlords, no idea. I'm sure that dynamic is going to change soon though.

Veelk

Banned
I don't think they mean the titles they give them in a literal way in any case.

The Warlords would be more accurately named the Privateers, since that's basically what they are.

And while the Four Emperors have conquered territory, an empire usually has a central area from which they rule. Roman Empire was based in Rome, and so on. I don't know what you call a ruler that subjugates nations, yet seems to have none of his own. And god only knows why Hancock is termed the Pirate Empress. All she does is sit on her ass in the kingdom she inherited. Pirate Queen would be more appropriate if you want a regal sounding name.

The WG just seems to name things based on how cool they sound. Which itself doesn't make sense, since they're trying to make piracy as unappealing as possible. The Four Emperors ought to be named the Four Pretenders or something, something to discredit their authority.

Oxn

Does anyone kind of hope that once Luffy becomes pirate king in say 10 years from now, that they end one piece, and restart a new anime called one piece shippuden?

I mean like they dont need to address every single item in the story before luffy becomes pk right? Surely there can be more to the story after he does. The revolution doesnt need to end once hes king.

When Garp introduced the emperors, he said they're called emperors because they act like royal princes who do whatever they want without anyone stopping them.

Does anyone kind of hope that once Luffy becomes pirate king in say 10 years from now, that they end one piece, and restart a new anime called one piece shippuden?

I mean like they dont need to address every single item in the story before luffy becomes pk right? Surely there can be more to the story after he does. The revolution doesnt need to end once hes king.

But why?

Veelk

Banned
When Garp introduced the emperors, he said they're called emperors because they act like royal princes who do whatever they want without anyone stopping them.

So do most pirates though, they just happen to be stronger so they succeed more. I assumed they were called emperors because they have nations under their conquest. But if it's just a matter of them defiance and arrogant, that's even worse.

Man, the WG suck. They can't even do names right.

Chariot

God no. Let the story end gracefully. I generally like the idea of timeskips and and such, but One Piece is running way too long for that to pull off. Oda isn't immortal, you know.

And really "Shipuuden" already gives me a rash. Naruto went to shit when Kishimoto was forced to continue against his initial plan.
So do most pirates though, they just happen to be stronger so they succeed more. I assumed they were called emperors because they have nations under their conquest. But if it's just a matter of them defiance and arrogant, that's even worse.

I think, they are special because they have real punch. Like, a single dude can rob a bank and do what he wants, but that's nothing compared to a crime syndicate. I see them basically like mafia bosses with deep connections and huge forces indirectly and directly under their control. Basically what Crocodile was with the Baroque Works and his assets in Alabastia - only in a more important part of the world and one a grander scale.

God no

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
As we've seen before, the marines aren't exactly super smart and there have been multiple examples of them showing respect to pirates. I think the 4 Emperors is just another one of those signs of respect that emerged long ago and is now just the way it is.

I feel like the older Yonko don't consider themselves Yonko, but just pirates under the flag they fly.

Oxn

But why?

Cause Luffy is still going to be young as F.

Hes not just going to sit on his throne. They can end the one piece story line (void centur, mareijoi, gorosei, will of D, one piece the item, raftel) but the adventure for more and different things we havent discovered can still go on.

I don't think they mean the titles they give them in a literal way in any case.

The Warlords would be more accurately named the Privateers, since that's basically what they are.

And while the Four Emperors have conquered territory, an empire usually has a central area from which they rule. Roman Empire was based in Rome, and so on. I don't know what you call a ruler that subjugates nations, yet seems to have none of his own. And god only knows why Hancock is termed the Pirate Empress. All she does is sit on her ass in the kingdom she inherited. Pirate Queen would be more appropriate if you want a regal sounding name.

The WG just seems to name things based on how cool they sound. Which itself doesn't make sense, since they're trying to make piracy as unappealing as possible. The Four Emperors ought to be named the Four Pretenders or something, something to discredit their authority.

They got those names for the same reason the government just coincidentally hired pirates with some sort of animal motive for the shichi positions.

Veelk

Banned
God no. Let the story end gracefully. I generally like the idea of timeskips and and such, but One Piece is running way too long for that to pull off. Oda isn't immortal, you know.

And really "Shipuuden" already gives me a rash. Naruto went to shit when Kishimoto was forced to continue against his initial plan.

Really? In my eyes, there are two major drops of quality that happen in the manga. The first is at the time skip, and the next is sometime after Pain/when Sasuke finds out about Itachi.

I never heard of any particular plan that Kishimoto had though. I recall several theories that were placed pretimeskip, but if he had a particular plan post time, I didn't catch hints of it.

They got those names for the same reason the government just coincidentally hired pirates with some sort of animal motive for the shichi positions.

So how does that explain them hiring Blackbeard and Law and Buggy?

I mean, even Moriah is stretching it.

Oxn

And really "Shipuuden" already gives me a rash. Naruto went to shit when Kishimoto was forced to continue against his initial plan.I think, they are special because they have real punch. Like, a single dude can rob a bank and do what he wants, but that's nothing compared to a crime syndicate. I see them basically like mafia bosses with deep connections and huge forces indirectly and directly under their control. Basically what Crocodile was with the Baroque Works and his assets in Alabastia - only in a more important part of the world and one a grander scale.

Fine then, i just feel its so contrived to conclude every storyline and then becoming PK. Would feel very forced to me.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well, that's irrelevant, I'd say. That was before the pirate era started (his death started it), and I don't know, even still, why wouldn't there be?

No it's not do you even read this story. This the new Pirate age or Great or Golden, Pirates have existed long before this age or even Rogers. Roger simply got more people involved in pirating but WB was doing his shit during Rogers age. The current 4 are a gridlock of the strongest pirates around. That's why there's 4, there's no other reason.

Fine then, i just feel its so contrived to conclude every storyline and then becoming PK. Would feel very forced to me.

Eh since when was that implied to ever happen. The great battle at the end of story is happening after Luffy's becomes Pirate King. That's the whole point of WB, prediction. Someone after finding out all the shit the WG has done and knows the lost centuary will declare war on it. That would be the Pirate King after reaching Raftel.

I don't remember who Garp said came up with the title, if it were the world government or the pirates themselves. Either way, yeah it's because of arrogance, but these pirates typically have territories underneath them too.

I don't see why you think it's such a strange title though. That's like when you play games with a buddy and trashtalk and say you're the "king" of this game or whatever. You're not literally a king, lol. Come on, man.

Cause Luffy is still going to be young as F.

Hes not just going to sit on his throne. They can end the one piece story line (void centur, mareijoi, gorosei, will of D, one piece the item, raftel) but the adventure for more and different things we havent discovered can still go on.

Yeah, but why rush it? Why end the story and do more stuff later when you can do that stuff first and finish it later? I don't know where your obsession with rushing through the story comes from.

Veelk

Banned
I don't remember who Garp said came up with the title, if it were the world government or the pirates themselves. Either way, yeah it's because of arrogance, but these pirates typically have territories underneath them too.

I don't see why you think it's such a strange title though. That's like when you play games with a buddy and trashtalk and say you're the "king" of this game or whatever. You're not literally a king, lol. Come on, man.

Well, it's like you say. You don't trash talk your opponent in a positive way. "Yeah, you are a real king of this game, you know that?! You're going to fucking DESTROY ME! You hear me, you dominating motherfucker, you are going to wipe me off the face of the earth!!!"

Chariot

Really? In my eyes, there are two major drops of quality that happen in the manga. The first is at the time skip, and the next is sometime after Pain/when Sasuke finds out about Itachi.

I never heard of any particular plan that Kishimoto had though. I recall several theories that were placed pretimeskip, but if he had a particular plan post time, I didn't catch hints of it.
As far as I heard, "Shipuuden" was never his plan. He wanted to starting to go into to finishing the manga shortly after the duel at the waterfall, but the series was too popular and he was convinced to continue. And it grew too big for Kishimo to handle, I disliked how it tried to be mature, but leaving the immature Naruto as he was. It just didn't work out.

Naruto was the type protagonist I dislike. The one that does stupid stuff, but for the convenience of the plot it always turns out good. Also, I am supposed to feel for him when everything he got is given to him by others. As you may know, I am a friend of protagonists who are not gifted and had to work themselves to the point where they face gifted ones.
It's just a title. He doesn't need to actual rule. In fact, he said in the recent chapters that he don't want to rule. So, eh. Pirates will do what they do anyways.

Oxn

Yeah, but why rush it? Why end the story and do more stuff later when you can do that stuff first and finish it later? I don't know where your obsession with rushing through the story comes from.

Read my previous post for why i dont want them to conclude every storyline before becoming PK.

And im not trying to rush it, im hoping for 10 years more, i dont think thats unreasonable.

Oxn

Eh since when was that implied to ever happen. The great battle at the end of story is happening after Luffy's becomes Pirate King. That's the whole point of WB, prediction. Someone after finding out all the shit the WG has done and knows the lost centuary will declare war on it. That would be the Pirate King after reaching Raftel.

I always thought it was find everything out, beat the WG, then become PK

giphy.gif

Principate

Saint Titanfall
As far as I heard, "Shipuuden" was never his plan. He wanted to starting to go into to finishing the manga shortly after the duel at the waterfall, but the series was too popular and he was convinced to continue. And it grew too big for Kishimo to handle, I disliked how it tried to be mature, but leaving the immature Naruto as he was. It just didn't work out.

Naruto was the type protagonist I dislike. The one that does stupid stuff, but for the convenience of the plot it always turns out good. Also, I am supposed to feel for him when everything he got is given to him by others. As you may know, I am a friend of protagonists who are not gifted and had to work themselves to the point where they face gifted ones.It's just a title. He doesn't need to actual rule. In fact, he said in the recent chapters that he don't want to rule. So, eh. Pirates will do what they do anyways.
Rule what, I'm sure your aware that the term Pirate king is basically an oxymoron, Pirates as a whole hold no allegiance to anyone, It's literally just someone with a boat pillaging it's like being the king of thieves your not actually a king of thieves your the best damn thief around.

The Pirate King is someone that can pillage or take whatever the hell he wants, hence he has the most freedom in the world.

Veelk

Banned

Naruto was the type protagonist I dislike. The one that does stupid stuff, but for the convenience of the plot it always turns out good. Also, I am supposed to feel for him when everything he got is given to him by others. As you may know, I am a friend of protagonists who are not gifted and had to work themselves to the point where they face gifted ones.

I don't understand how you can stand Luffy then. He's the very definition of that kind of protagonist in my eyes. In real life, the problem of wiping out leaders is not a solution that automatically makes everything better, but every time he does it, it's an absolute good. The fact that dressrosa is destroyed, people are out of their homes, etc never comes up as an issue beyond being an inconvenience. And Luffy always does it for basically the same, highly simple, if not necessarily stupid, reason "1. friends are hurt by leader guy 2. punch out leader guy 3. profit"

But anyway, Naruto was the manga that got me into manga, so the fact that it turned so awful hurts especially bad. But even discounting that, I don't think I've ever seen such a drop in quality from any story I ever read. Having reread some of the beginning parts, I realized I idealized some of them, but once it basically started character assassinating Sasuke and later everyone else, it just became too much. I don't think it was because of deviation from the plan though, but how the remaining plotlines and characters were addressed. There are plenty of writers (most of them, I'd say) that write in parts of the story on the fly, but still do so well, and I doubt that he planned the manga in a significant way up to the waterfall bit in any case.

Chariot

Rule what, I'm sure your aware that the term Pirate king is basically an oxymoron, Pirates as a whole hold no allegiance to anyone, It's literally just someone with a boat pillaging it's like being the king of thieves your not actually a king of thieves your the best damn thief around.

The Pirate King is someone that can pillage or take whatever the hell he wants, hence he has the most freedom in the world.
Yeah, something like that. You have as much authority as you can bring to the table.
I don't understand how you can stand Luffy then. He's the very definition of that kind of protagonist in my eyes. In real life, the problem of wiping out leaders is not a solution that automatically makes everything better, but every time he does it, it's an absolute good. The fact that dressrosa is destroyed, people are out of their homes, etc never comes up as an issue beyond being an inconvenience.
Yes, Luffy is that type of character, but the story isn't as pretentious about it. What makes it for me is, that he isn't angsty or annoying. He is a dummy who people follow not because he has any idea how the world works, but because of his positive spirit. While in Naruto people act like Naruto is a genius messiah. Plus, the One Piece main cast isn't getting thrown under the bus.

Oxn

It's just a title. He doesn't need to actual rule. In fact, he said in the recent chapters that he don't want to rule. So, eh. Pirates will do what they do anyways.

Thats exactly what Im trying to say. Imagine he becomes PK, and at the end they have this huge celebration and we are suppose to just accept that everything ends there? He is now PK, what will he do next?

Unless they kill Luffy after obtaining his goal, then just concluding OP right after becoming PK would feel to me like there is so much more to it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I always thought it was find everything out, beat the WG, then become PK

Beating the WG has nothing to do with being the PK, the only qualifier for being PK is finding One Piece by the time you've found everything out you've found One Piece so you are the current Pirate King. You already have the greatest treasure in the world.

Oxn

Beating the WG has nothing to do with being the PK, the only qualifier for being PK is finding One Piece by the time you've found everything out you've found One Piece so you are the current Pirate King.

Im not disagreeing with you, but you dont think that the WG is trying to stop people from finding One Piece. So no, beating WG doesnt mean you become PK, but they are a roadblock to that goal is my prediciton, whereas yours is he becomes a PK, then fight the WG.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Im not disagreeing with you, but you dont think that the WG is trying to stop people from finding One Piece. So no, beating WG doesnt mean you become PK, but they are a roadblock to that goal is my prediciton, whereas yours is he becomes a PK, then fight the WG.

Not in any significant manner no, the WG presence in the NW was actually implied to be quite small, they only even moved that office over to NW during the time skip. The 4 emperors are in gridlock on the way to Raftel that's why they're the four Emperors, and are ruling. the WG doesn't actually mess with them, hence why the WB war was such a big deal. They hauled everyone and their mother just to deal with WB do honestly think they have any significant presence in the NW.

The war itself isn't even about taking down the marines. It's a global conflict, that involves ousting the entire world government it's not the along the way kind of deal.

So how does that explain them hiring Blackbeard and Law and Buggy?

I mean, even Moriah is stretching it.

Because Oda decided to give the original 7 animal themes, but deviated from the theme as the series progressed.

Would you say that Sengoku having been an admiral in the past means that the Admirals don't have a "famous japanese actor" theme?

Oxn

Not in any significant manner no, the WG presence in the NW was actually implied to be quite small, they only even moved that office over to NW during the time skip. The 4 emperors are in gridlock on the way to Raftel that's why they're the four Emperors, and are ruling. the WG doesn't actually mess with them, hence why the WB war was such a big deal. They hauled everyone and their mother just to deal with WB do honestly think they have any significant presence in the NW.

The war itself isn't even about taking down the marines. It's a global conflict, that involves ousting the entire world government it's not the along the way kind of deal.

Ofcourse I believe the WG have a significant presence in the New World. You just said they move their HQ there after the war, it has significance that they mentioned that.

Fujitora is there, and Im sure the other Admirals and Fleet Admiral, and Kong, and the Gorosei will sail along it fine.

EDIT: Usually to become a King when you try to take over something you have to win the war. So becoming PK for Luffy wouldnt make sense and then try to win a war.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah, something like that. You have as much authority as you can bring to the table.Yes, Luffy is that type of character, but the story isn't as pretentious about it. What makes it for me is, that he isn't angsty or annoying. He is a dummy who people follow not because he has any idea how the world works, but because of his positive spirit. While in Naruto people act like Naruto is a genius messiah. Plus, the One Piece main cast isn't getting thrown under the bus.

*sigh* Yeah, it definitely has that.

Honestly, I never felt they went with the Naruto is a messiah thing until way, way later in Shippuden. Before that, he was just a therapist whose appeals only really worked because the people he recruited were highly disturbed and depressed.

I don't find Luffy's approach better in terms of believably or failing that, simple character depth, but Oda is just a flat out better writer than Kishimoto was, and understands how to use foreshadowing, create anticipation, worldbuild, and maintain consistency. I give OP a lot of shit for a lot of stuff, but it's very well crafted in a lot of ways.

Because Oda decided to give the original 7 animal themes, but deviated from the theme as the series progressed.

Would you say that Sengoku having been an admiral in the past means that the Admirals don't have a "famous japanese actor" theme?

I never denied the theme, but it's a trivial gimmick of the characters to help unify things, not an in-story necessity or desire for the postion. No one in the story ever remarked "The WG decides who the Shichibukai candidates are based on their strength, reputation, and if they have an animal theme". I'm not asking why Oda picked 7 places for Shichibukai, I'm asking why the World Government did.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Ofcourse I believe the WG have a significant presence in the New World. You just said they move their HQ there after the war, it has significance that they mentioned that.

Fujitora is there, and Im sure the other Admirals and Fleet Admiral, and Kong, and the Gorosei will sail along it fine.

They have more of a presence there but even you should be aware how the marines work (they're presence in general outside of their headquarters and places they send admirals are really limited), and there's still 4 emperors and BB who are completely free to do what they want.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
EDIT: Usually to become a King when you try to take over something you have to win the war. So becoming PK for Luffy wouldnt make sense and then try to win a war.

Your misunderstanding the term King, Pirates are not conquerors, in any traditional sense their plunders. Roger did not become Pirate King by winning a war, the only reason he was the Pirate King and the only way to become Pirate is by owning the greatest treasure in the World. That is One Piece the title of this story.

Oxn

They have more of a presence there but even you should be aware how the marines work (they're presence in general outside of their headquarters and places they send admirals are really limited), and there's still 4 emperors and BB who are completely free to do what they want.

Yes the Marines in the NW is limited sure. But its not like the 4 Emps are a team. If you add in the Marines, its really like 5 individual teams, and not 4 emps vs Marines.

*sigh* Yeah, it definitely has that.

Honestly, I never felt they went with the Naruto is a messiah thing until way, way later in Shippuden. Before that, he was just a therapist whose appeals only really worked because the people he recruited were highly disturbed and depressed.

I don't find Luffy's approach better in terms of believably or failing that, simple character depth, but Oda is just a flat out better writer than Kishimoto was, and understands how to use foreshadowing, create anticipation, worldbuild, and maintain consistency. I give OP a lot of shit for a lot of stuff, but it's very well crafted in a lot of ways.

I think one massive advantage One Piece has in this regard is also the simple fact that the entire thing basically reads like it's a bit tongue in cheek.

There's little pretense about there being depth that honestly isn't there, but quite a number of Oda's gags are essentially characters lampshading (comedically) how little certain things make sense.

Meanwhile Naruto (particularly shippuuden) reads like really bad justification why you should never give up on your violently abusive domestic partner because you might change his heart.

Oxn

Your misunderstanding the term King, Pirates are not conquerors, in any traditional sense their plunders. Roger did not become Pirate King by winning a war, the only reason he was the Pirate King and the only way to become Pirate is by owning the greatest treasure in the World. That is One Piece the title of this story.

That is exactly what the Yonko's are. They conquer lands in the NW. Just about every piece of land is watched over by a Yonko

i.e: Fishman by Big Mom.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yes the Marines in the NW is limited sure. But its not like the 4 Emps are a team. If you add in the Marines, its really like 5 individual teams, and not 4 emps vs Marines.

True but the point is you don't need to wipe out the Marines to reach raftel and thus become the Pirate King. Especially considering the fact the Marines don't even bother engaging the 4 emperors outside of very rare occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom