• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of which, do you think a character will ever leave the crew before the ending of the series?

Like for example Sanji finding the love of his life.

Usopp almost left, and if they had went that way with the story, it would totally be natural. Of course he could always appear back later in another arc.

Usopp did leave, and Robin too.

But no, I don't think anyone will leave the crew. No one since Water 7 has left and I don't see that changing now.

Oxn

well since the timeskip they havent really been doing much character developments between the crew members, like they use to.

There hasnt been any emotional breakdowns yet like with Usopp and Robin.

On that note, I think we would have seen some foreshadowing of that by now. Thinking back, Usopp was always going to leave the crew in regards to Merry with all of the small scenes with him defending the ship building up to a climax at Water 7.

Robin too. It was like a Nami situation where we didn't know her past but knew that she was "cursed" for some reason.

I think if a crewmember was going to leave, we could predict it. The only thing that loosely comes to mind is Zoro, who has constantly reminded Luffy to be serious and rigid as a captain or he's bailing.

Chariot

Nobody will leave permanently or die. Surely there will be moments in the future where a character leaves for whatever reason, but they will definitly made it all to the last isle. Then again, I also thought for a long time that Vivi would accompany the crew against her duty, but well, that didn't work out.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Yeah, Luffy is totally dying right after becoming PK. He's had entirely too many life-shortening surgeries / getting saved moments + the untold amounts of stress that he's put on his body. If he wasn't made out of rubber he'd be a paraplegic by now; a dead one.

MCD

Yeah, Luffy is totally dying right after becoming PK. He's had entirely too many life-shortening surgeries / getting saved moments + the untold amounts of stress that he's put on his body. If he wasn't made out of rubber he'd be a paraplegic by now; a dead one.

Suddenly...Law's fruit.

I hate when they do Limited Edition figures. Bartolomeo, Cavendish and Sengoku were all released that way last year. Wanted those brahs bad and the preorder discount.....

Maximo

Brook is dying for some character development.

char_7581.jpg

SKULL JOKE!

Are there any good Nico Robin or Nami fights? I usually like to watch fight scenes of random animes but I can't find anything on those two besides a Nami vs CP9 member fight that made me uncomfortable.

Are there any good Nico Robin or Nami fights? I usually like to watch fight scenes of random animes but I can't find anything on those two besides a Nami vs CP9 member fight that made me uncomfortable.

Well they have almost no fights.

Nami -

Miss Doublefinger in Alabasta
Kalifa in Enies Lobby

Robin -

Yama in Skypeia

That's about it for 1v1's with no assistance

Big One

Banned
I saw a theory online that made sense about some things. Remember that Jack guy in the silhouette a while back? Good, I'll get to that.

Skypeia took place in the New World.

First off let's give off a bit of history about Skypeia. Shandalar did not raise from Jaya, but rather flew away from it at an angle. Then it landed on the Giant Jack out of nowhere and got stuck there.

Urouge was on Skypeia praying when Kaidou was committing suicide, where he landed in front of Kidd, Appo, and Hawkins who are currently in the New World. It was a pretty clear flat drop considering his body literally went downwards into the ground rather than breaking some rocks or falling into the sea.

When the Strawhats flew down with the balloon octopus they didn't exactly go near Jaya either, suggesting they were rather far away from it.

Giant Jack is actually rooted on Elbaf.

Jack and the Beanstalk is a popular tale and more often than not Oda makes references to them. While the tale is told as if Jack is a hero, if you actually read it Jack is pretty much and asshole and ends up killing the giant. What if Jack in the Underworld is actually the main villain of the Elbaf arc, and the Giant Jack was something he created or caused? What if Enel and the others knew haki due to the connection to the New World, with his bounty being as high as Don Chinjou?

Jack is the Giant Killer, so it makes sense for him to be the antagonist and main plotpoint of Elbaf. Plus bringing Skypeia's relevance back into the story makes sense as well.

Big One

Banned
Was he? Did it say so? Could be just another sky island.
That's kind of what I meant, lol. He was on a sky island of some sort. I mean there are many Sky Islands but how many of them hold the three angel tribes really? I've always thought Urouge was implied to be Brikan due to his wings.

That's kind of what I meant, lol. He was on a sky island of some sort. I mean there are many Sky Islands but how many of them hold the three angel tribes really? I've always thought Urouge was implied to be Brikan due to his wings.

The Birkans didn't come from Skytopia. Enel took them from Birka which was supposed to be far away.

That period of the manga was great but right after enies lobby ended I remember thinking that this it and the story can't go on being told the same way any more. If anything I think that Thriller Bark was disappointing because Oda didn't change the formula fast enough and Fishman was disappointing because it just felt like nostalgia.

Qurupeke

I found Thriller Bark being one of the best arcs but ultimately it was somewhat disappointing. Gekko Moriah wasn't a good villain, despite the built up. Kuma stole the spotlight and is responsible for the best parts of this arc though.

And yeah, Water 7 (and Enies Lobby) are fantastic. Luffy vs Usopp is one of my favourite battles in the series.

I found Thriller Bark being one of the best arcs but ultimately it was somewhat disappointing. Gekko Moriah wasn't a good villain, despite the built up. Kuma stole the spotlight and is responsible for the best parts of this arc though.

And yeah, Water 7 (and Enies Lobby) are fantastic. Luffy vs Usopp is one of my favourite battles in the series.

For me it's not just in the series, but in shonen in general.

It's kinda shocking to me just how well water 7 still holds up after all this time in term of stakes, crew interactions, supporting cast, environmental design, tone.

Oxn

Guess im the only one not crazy about water 7, enies lobby, and CP9.

Im actually doing a rewatch of the anime, and Im up to Enies lobby at the moment.

Alabasta was awesome.

Guess im the only one not crazy about water 7, enies lobby, and CP9.

Im actually doing a rewatch of the anime, and Im up to Enies lobby at the moment.

Alabasta was awesome.

Anything in particular you disliked about water 7?

I think I have some complaints between the train segment & Enies Lobby itself, but the water 7 part of that arc is borderline flawless to me.

Oxn

Anything in particular you disliked about water 7?

I think I have some complaints between the train segment & Enies Lobby itself, but the water 7 part of that arc is borderline flawless to me.

Well for one, I didnt like CP9. The villians for that arc just seemingly came out of nowhere for me. Never felt any connections to the villians like I did for Crocodile, or Doffy, they felt generic in such a rich world. I was also not crazy about Franky at the time. I dont dislike him but hes one of my least favorite in the crew.

I did love the whole falling out between Usopp and Luffy though. Robins story and her cry to live also got to me as well, loved that part.

Yeah the thing about Water 7 is that it was the last time we really had internal drama in the straw hats themselves. Maybe the last significant internal drama was Usopp&Robin vs Sugar&Trebol and before that Zoro and Sanji vs Kuma on Thriller Bark.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah the thing about Water 7 is that it was the last time we really had internal drama in the straw hats themselves. Maybe the last significant internal drama was Usopp&Robin vs Sugar&Trebol and before that Zoro and Sanji vs Kuma on Thriller Bark.
From my recollection, it was the only time they had internal drama. Minor stuff like what you mention doesn't really count in my eyes. And it was also the only time I found the straw hats themselves engaging. I would might be singing a very different tune about the series if the sh dynamic went in that direction more often, because seriously, that shit was good.

Almost all of the serious problems they face are immediate external threats so it's easy for it seem like anything between them is a minor hiccup. But in the long run we will still talk about how if Usopp has poor loyalty or if Sanji has been put in his place to being not up to the current monster duo.

Chariot

Of course they hold up. One Piece is neither complicated nor full of references that are going to be lost in time. The setting of a techno-schizophrenic fantasy world also helps.

Honestly i dont want anymore sh drama at this point in the story as a team they should be solid,we had nami take the ship nd leave before,usopp leave and fight luffy and robin leaving as well. Now as for the other 5600 strawhats who knows lol!!

bjork

So is Big Mom going to end up being Lola's mom? I'm guessing yes, so between that and Sanji's ability to cook up some sweets, they're on the SHs side when we see them and it's covered in like three panels of flashbacks.

smurfx

get some go again
So is Big Mom going to end up being Lola's mom? I'm guessing yes, so between that and Sanji's ability to cook up some sweets, they're on the SHs side when we see them and it's covered in like three panels of flashbacks.
at this point i'm counting on it because there really isn't anybody else it could be and have it be a worthwhile callback. there is that one pirate that was in whitebeards alliance that kinda looked like she could be lola's mom but who cares about her? she was just some random female pirate. all she could do is join luffy's alliance but again who cares?

If we have a Lufft v Kaidou war arc and a Luffy v Big Mom war arc back to back then this manga is going to literally turn into Bleach. War arcs that last 4 years and you can't even remember how it started or why anyone is fighting.

at this point i'm counting on it because there really isn't anybody else it could be and have it be a worthwhile callback. there is that one pirate that was in whitebeards alliance that kinda looked like she could be lola's mom but who cares about her? she was just some random female pirate. all she could do is join luffy's alliance but again who cares?
If you're talking about whitey bay you take that back right now!

If we have a Lufft v Kaidou war arc and a Luffy v Big Mom war arc back to back then this manga is going to literally turn into Bleach. War arcs that last 4 years and you can't even remember how it started or why anyone is fighting.

Agreed, I don't think it will happen.

At most, I think Luffy will go up against Kaidou and then BBeard for the finale. Once he beats Kaidou he's essentially on Yonko level meaning he can: 1) Meet Shanks, 2) Go for Raftel.

After Kaidou it's gonna be endgame.

Oxn

Agreed, I don't think it will happen.

At most, I think Luffy will go up against Kaidou and then BBeard for the finale. Once he beats Kaidou he's essentially on Yonko level meaning he can: 1) Meet Shanks, 2) Go for Raftel.

After Kaidou it's gonna be endgame.

You dont think he will face the Garosei? Im betting they are uber powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom