• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Also, Sanji doesn't have two curly eyebrows like you'd think---he only had one, but when he was Okama Island during the time-skip, for whatever reason had Ivankov use his face-hormone powers to change which eyebrow was curly.

I can't wait to dine on the delicious salty tears if this ends up being another gag to shit on Sanji.

Sanji needs a win, he's cool :(

Also, Sanji doesn't have two curly eyebrows like you'd think---he only had one, but when he was Okama Island during the time-skip, for whatever reason had Ivankov use his face-hormone powers to change which eyebrow was curly.

Source?

I was under the impression both his eyebrows were like that, and the fans were theorizing or asking if Sanji actually had a second eye/eyebrow, and to confirm that he did Oda changed the direction that his hair went after the timeskip.

Lunar15

I personally think it's a gag, but I'm pulling for some character development. It's the main thing we've been lacking recently. No one needs it more than Sanji, who's been downright awful since the timeskip.

Watch Da Birdie

Sanji needs a win, he's cool :(

Source?

I was under the impression both his eyebrows were like that, and the fans were theorizing or asking if Sanji actually had a second eye/eyebrow, and to confirm that he did Oda changed the direction that his hair went after the timeskip.

Nah, I was just speculating.

Absalom and Sanji are related...Absalom's the older brother "the king", and Sanji's the younger "the prince". Sanji had a left curly eyebrow, Absalom had a right curly eyebrow---at some point Absalom removed his curly eyebrow (note in his childhood picture a bandage over the right eye) possibly to rebel against his family. Now whoever sees Sanji's Wanted Poster---a Right Curly Eye---thinks it's the long-lost Absalom.

no fun allowed

I think it's more related to his past than current events. The thing in that theory I liked the most was pointing out that as soon as Sanji's actual face got on a poster, he's wanted alive.
I do feel he has been severely lacking in development and power up for a long time so I really want to see where this goes.

yeah, so that would have to mean that he was previously wanted as well though, or that he already has some secret, or knowledge or w/e

That's true. All we know objectively is that Sanji was born in North Blue and that we have no information about his family. The story starts with him as a cook.

Kreed

I still think the wanted poster thing is another gag, but this Sanji discussion and realizing how little we know about him prior to his back story is why I want Oda to focus on continuing the development of the current Straw Hats vs adding more and more characters.

Majukun

I think in the end the reason for sanji's poster will be something no one expect,and something impossible to predict from what we know at the moment.
That's just one guy. There are definitely too few bounty hunters in the world of One Piece. I'd totally be a bounty hunter if I lived in that world.

well,there's also the porblem that no one in their right mind would go after some of the huge bounties when he an just collect a couple of the lower ones..i mean if i have to choose if i wanna go against moneky d.luffy or capture a bunch of Lip Doughty,i would probably go ith the latters..it needs more time,but i risk much,much less

Lunar15

Wasn't Baroque Works essentially a Bounty Hunting agency? Literally an organization of thousands and thousands of bounty hunters designed to pick off small fry bounties that make it into the Grand Line.

Chariot

Wasn't Baroque Works essentially a Bounty Hunting agency? Literally an organization of thousands and thousands of bounty hunters designed to pick off small fry bounties that make it into the Grand Line.
Yes, they were. But that's the thing - they mostly went after small fries and while they had pretty strong guys who would surely do decently in the New World, we have nobody on the scale of taking down a Supernova. There got to be Bounty Hunters around for that price or you can just leave the whole posters be.

I'm assuming other Pirates can turn in bounties, perhaps for amnesty or to become Sichibukai.

No, I don't think they can. I might be remembering wrong but I believe this was mentioned in the manga at some point. But yeah, they can do it to become a warlord, but not for the money.

And if they can, they sure don't do it often.

---

On another note, regarding the bounty discussion we had a few pages ago, I just found this:

6ce816930fd6bb49788ec7ed00d66d29.png

Well, there it is.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, Blackbeard captured Ace for Shichibukai status and Law did the 100 hearts thing. You can atleast do that for Shichibukai candidate

Neither have shit on what Buggy did.

He broke out of the most secure installation on the planet and into the second most on the same day.

He's close personal friends with Shanks.

He served loyally under the former king of the pirates, Gol D. Roger.

Neither have shit on what Buggy did.

He broke out of the most secure installation on the planet and into the second most on the same day.

He's close personal friends with Shanks.

He served loyally under the former king of the pirates, Gol D. Roger.

I think the WG realized it would just be easier to give him the status and control the escapees that way then actually going after them.

Did Buggy get the level 6 escapees or did Blackbeard get them all? I know Blackbeard picked the strongest ones.

Also it would be cool to see what Impel Down looks like now, Doffy going there made me think that. Hannyabal is the Chief Warden now and Magellan is the Vice Warden I believe.

I still think the wanted poster thing is another gag, but this Sanji discussion and realizing how little we know about him prior to his back story is why I want Oda to focus on continuing the development of the current Straw Hats vs adding more and more characters.
Oda wouldn't end a chapter cliffhanger with a gag. It's at the point in the narrative structure where he will move onto the next arc. Could he make a comedic situation out of it? Yes, such a thing is possible but he will use it to push the story along. Oda is going to surprise readers, that is his goal.

I think it's more related to his past than current events. The thing in that theory I liked the most was pointing out that as soon as Sanji's actual face got on a poster, he's wanted alive.
I do feel he has been severely lacking in development and power up for a long time so I really want to see where this goes.

I don't see how that matters to be honest. I mean, the picture is part of the bounty poster, so they had to come at the same time. And I don't see how a picture would be that helpful given that they wouldn't have been able to see Sanji in many years since he was a child

I also don't think him being some sort of noble makes sense with what we know of his past. He was an apprentice on a ship where he constantly got laughed at for his dreams. The ship also clearly wasn't heavily guarded, since Zeff's crew had no trouble taking it over before they got lost at sea due to a storm. This does not seem like something that would happen to a noble (especially a world noble like some people here think). And honestly, the only people who I could see being able to have this kind of pull is a celestial dragon, and even if he was born one, we've already seen that means jack shit to them through Doflamingo's past.

I believe that 801 is the start of the new major arc "the game of thrones" and the next island Zou. Although Zou might be really short. (watch it last 3 years real time after saying that)

Oxn

I think the WG realized it would just be easier to give him the status and control the escapees that way then actually going after them.

Did Buggy get the level 6 escapees or did Blackbeard get them all? I know Blackbeard picked the strongest ones.

Also it would be cool to see what Impel Down looks like now, Doffy going there made me think that. Hannyabal is the Chief Warden now and Magellan is the Vice Warden I believe.

What? Why would Hannyabal be cheif and Magellan vice? Where you hear that? Magellan is wayy stronger.

I just rewatched a youtube video, where Magellan couldve jusst killed the entire blackbeard crew had shryyu not come along. That was insane watching that.

What? Why would Hannyabal be cheif and Magellan vice? Where you hear that? Magellan is wayy stronger.

I just rewatched a youtube video, where Magellan couldve jusst killed the entire blackbeard crew had shryyu not come along. That was insane watching that.

Chapter 665 cover page.

It says "The Most reliable man in Hell, new Vice-Warden Magellan"

Veelk

Banned
I believe that 801 is the start of the new major arc "the game of thrones" and the next island Zou. Although Zou might be really short. (watch it last 3 years real time after saying that)

I mean, whats considered short? The Davy Back arc is one of the shortest arcs and that's 19 chapters. Which, yeah, if you're reading it collected is a blink of an eye, but week by week, that's 4 months.

Which is why I'm considering taking a break from OP, but also fighting against it. On one hand, it's more satisfying to read it all at once. On the other hand, picking up a story several months of haitus just doesn't give it a good feel, or atleast not the same feel as if you're reading it consistently.

Chapter 665 cover page.

It says "The Most reliable man in Hell, new Vice-Warden Magellan"

Yeah, it's been shown on more cover pages too.

Look at this dang-ass guy being the warden.

Anime-only watchers miss out on these details.

I mean, whats considered short? The Davy Back arc is one of the shortest arcs and that's 19 chapters. Which, yeah, if you're reading it collected is a blink of an eye, but week by week, that's 4 months.

Which is why I'm considering taking a break from OP, but also fighting against it. On one hand, it's more satisfying to read it all at once. On the other hand, picking up a story several months of haitus just doesn't give it a good feel, or atleast not the same feel as if you're reading it consistently.

Well I can tell you right now from my friend's perspective that reading Dressrossa all at once was the best thing he's ever done (his words).

Maybe that's the case for such a long arc, but I definitely would have preferred waiting on Dressrossa, myself.

Veelk

Banned
Well I can tell you right now from my friend's perspective that reading Dressrossa all at once was the best thing he's ever done (his words).

Maybe that's the case for such a long arc, but I definitely would have preferred waiting on Dressrossa, myself.

Oh, I don't disagree that the read of the arc itself is better. It's just that for me, if we have another dressrosa length arc, how much of the story's backstory and general pacing and so on will slip from me in having to wait 2 years time? I'll have probably forgotten who the samurai guy and his son are, why nami and the rest are separated on another island, and so on.

It's a give and take of reading the story weekly or per arc. If I were to take more than a year before getting back to it, I'd probably feel the need to just reread the whole series.

Oh, I don't disagree that the read of the arc itself is better. It's just that for me, if we have another dressrosa length arc, how much of the story's backstory and general pacing and so on will slip from me in having to wait 2 years time? I'll have probably forgotten who the samurai guy and his son are, why nami and the rest are separated on another island, and so on.

I get what you mean, but then you can just re-read the last couple of chapters. It's gonna be well-worth it after two years anyway; you'll have forgotten the last dozen chapters so why not.

Personally I read all the chapters when they come out on a weekly/bi-weekly basis, and then again when the books' release.

It's a give and take of reading the story weekly or per arc. If I were to take more than a year before getting back to it, I'd probably feel the need to just reread the whole series.

Hmm, good point. It's his first read.

Watch Da Birdie

I pop in here from time to time to read what's going on, but I agree it's way more satisfying to leave actually reading the manga off till each Arc is basically done.

By that time I've forgotten most of the nuanced spoilers I've read so it doesn't effect my enjoyment---I'll remember all the big moments and everything, but honestly if I hadn't read about Gear 4 here I would've seen it by now elsewhere on accident.

That's true. All we know objectively is that Sanji was born in North Blue and that we have no information about his family. The story starts with him as a cook.

yep, as far as we know he's always been a cook

Nah, I was just speculating.

Absalom and Sanji are related...Absalom's the older brother "the king", and Sanji's the younger "the prince". Sanji had a left curly eyebrow, Absalom had a right curly eyebrow---at some point Absalom removed his curly eyebrow (note in his childhood picture a bandage over the right eye) possibly to rebel against his family. Now whoever sees Sanji's Wanted Poster---a Right Curly Eye---thinks it's the long-lost Absalom.

that's an interesting theory, but I don't think it's going to happen, just because I hate Absalom and don't want it to lol

Oda wouldn't end a chapter cliffhanger with a gag. It's at the point in the narrative structure where he will move onto the next arc. Could he make a comedic situation out of it? Yes, such a thing is possible but he will use it to push the story along. Oda is going to surprise readers, that is his goal.

Yeah, I was thinking a similar thing. If it were a gag, we would have probably seen it pan out in the chapter. We're at a tipping point in the story where details like this are far more important than ever before, as we're really starting to get into the nitty gritty of the world.

Watch Da Birdie

I think Oda planned a bunch of stuff ahead, BUT he didn't plan out all the world lore---especially how "wild" the world got since the early chapters were down to earth relatively, with the weirdness being the exception, while now it's basically the opposite.

I think he intended Sanji to have a connection to the world's elite, be it one of them or working for them, but I doubt until rather recently did he actually think to have the world elite be as over-the-top elite as the Tenryuubito turned out to be.

smurfx

get some go again
On another note, regarding the bounty discussion we had a few pages ago, I just found this:

Well, there it is.
this still does not make sense. if that were the case then robin and franky would have the highest bounties in the world. franky knows how to build an ancient weapon and robin might end up revealing what happened in the void century. not only that but they are on the ship of the son of dragon who could potentially use that knowledge and weapon against the world government.

i know he got a lot of the strongest ones but it doesn't mean other stronger pirates didn't end up escaping. all blackbeard did was get the ones who took him up on his offer to take them with him. other stronger pirates could have just left on their own knowing they could escape from impel down without help. i think we will see at least 1 level 6 pirate who escaped on their own in the future.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Buggy never made it to level 6. Remember that while the prisoners were breaking out, blackbeard's crew was breaking in. They got poisoned by magellan and he left them to die while he stopped the prison break. Shiryu rescued them and they went down to free all the level 6ers.

It was blackbeard who got the L6 prisoners. Though Buggy got basically everyone else. Somehow.

Buggy never made it to level 6. Remember that while the prisoners were breaking out, blackbeard's crew was breaking in. They got poisoned by magellan and he left them to die while he stopped the prison break. Shiryu rescued them and they went down to free all the level 6ers.

It was blackbeard who got the L6 prisoners. Though Buggy got basically everyone else. Somehow.

I don't think Blackbeard took them all. I think he had them fight each other to the death until the last there were only a few standing and took them.

Although that may not be right since Crocodile, Jinbe and Ace werent involved in that

IHaveIce

Banned
Another thing about the calm belts.
You guys are saying maybe passing the calm belt is not as difficult at all.
But the why would people not skip most of the grandline and enter directly into the new world? Or for shits and giggles right at the end.

this still does not make sense. if that were the case then robin and franky would have the highest bounties in the world. franky knows how to build an ancient weapon and robin might end up revealing what happened in the void century. not only that but they are on the ship of the son of dragon who could potentially use that knowledge and weapon against the world government.

That's why it was brought up. It's mentioned in the very next panel.

58beaf81801ff4f5eeecf6b8ebbc0e5f.png

Franky burn the blueprints ( he might not remember how to make it ).
Plus as much know knowledge robin has she can't cause as much damage as someone with power\strength and a crew.

I don't think Blackbeard took them all. I think he had them fight each other to the death until the last there were only a few standing and took them.

Although that may not be right since Crocodile, Jinbe and Ace werent involved in that

That is correct but we learn afterward that others escape after they beat magellan .
Croc and the other escape before BB get to level 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom