• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Viz's One Piece translation is inconsistent in general. It's better than their worst works (Reborn, ick) and I still buy it to support the series, but it can get really...yeah.

Things have gotten better since Steven came on board, but stuff like "Little People" bug me.

Little people is the most accurate translation of the term though. Dwarf is far more liberal, and brings to mind an entirely different image

Yepp. I just want to add though that aside from Zoro being called Zolo, the Viz translation is by far the best English translation you'll find for One Piece.

Viz's One Piece translation is inconsistent in general. It's better than their worst works (Reborn, ick) and I still buy it to support the series, but it can get really...yeah.

Things have gotten better since Steven came on board, but stuff like "Little People" bug me.

Yes, I agree. The Viz volumes, especially the ones translated by Stephen, are the most accurate you can get without learning Japanese and buying the tankobons.

The leftover terms, naming conventions, and earlier pirate lingo are minor issues that can be overlooked.

3YGfKxT.png

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This means nothing

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I don't mind Zolo at all any more, I'm suuuperr used to it now. Sometimes I think Zolo before Zoro in fact.

What DOES bug the hell out of me is that Viz went back and forth on chambres/shambles. They had it wrong, then right, then wrong, then right again. Consistency!!!

RomanceDawn

Little People is the proper term though if you want a perfect translation. What we have now are more like gnomes, lawn gnomes.

I have a good feeling we will see dwarves in the way that we imagine them from say Snow White. Mineral digging short folks and such. Some of Oda's pre One Piece drawings depict them more like that and I was surprised with what we got on Dressrosa.

If Sanji is getting some much needed serious development I will be so happy! Still I can totally see a celestial dragon that's an ugly woman or gay man to keep the gags going. Even still, the idea that anyone for what ever reason wants him alive and has the power to label the poster that way must have some importance no matter what.

As for being list royalty, it could very well be the case. Sanji's mannerisms, how he dresses so proper, the way he was raised to not strike women and all his prince fantasies and allusions. Not to mention he has been consistently developing this devil persona, an opposite to Zoro's demonic one naturally. Diable Jambe, spending 2 years in hell, Hells Memories, and he claimed something a while ago about becoming the devil himself or not even the devil could stop him, I forget. And who is the Devil but the prince of darkness?

I don't mind Zolo at all any more, I'm suuuperr used to it now. Sometimes I think Zolo before Zoro in fact.

What DOES bug the hell out of me is that Viz went back and forth on chambres/shambles. They had it wrong, then right, then wrong, then right again. Consistency!!!

It's super weird how I feel the same about Zolo, yet "Teech" bugs the crap out of me.

And I didn't notice they switched around Chambres!! Reminds me of "Do it with a boom/bang" for Tom's signature phrase, lol.

There's absolutely no way Zoro could beat Luffy in a 1v1 fight currently. Even if Zoro has more raw strength (which I don't think he does, as the most impressive feat of Zoro's we've seen since the time skip is taking out Pica, and we see Luffy use Grizzly Magnum to take out a huge chunk of giant Pica's head, so I assume Luffy could have won that fight too), there's no way he would be able to keep up with Luffy's Gear Second + Armament Haki + Kenbunshoku Haki (even if Zoro has both of those), not to mention Luffy's massive power and speed boost from gear 4.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

This means nothing
Keep in mind that 99% of the fashion in the One Piece world is designed by Pappug. It wouldn't be crazy to imagine that he designed a shirt after Kuma after he came back to protect the Sunny in Hachi's stead.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm telling you, this whole God Usopp poster is going to force a hilarious situation where he is forced to disguise himself as Soge King.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I'm telling you, this whole God Usopp poster is going to force a hilarious situation where he is forced to disguise himself as Soge King.
The return of 30 million beli Sogeking would be amazing.

Especially if he gets a bounty increase independent of Usopp's too

So what you're trying to tell me is after Kuma got his brain erased, the Government copyrighted his image and mass-produced a truck load of Kuma merchandise across the world?

Lunar15

Ehhh, like with the other panel, I think y'all are reading into that a bit too much. I think he's just bluffing to keep the other members safe.

Anything goes with Oda, but those two seem like stretches.

Big One

Banned
If the Sanji = Prince thing is true that's some serious next-level foreshadowing Oda has done. Even today people are pretty much finding old panels that could contribute to this theory. I seriously wonder if he sprinkled other details like this in the series that went under our noses if true.

Russ T

Banned
Ehhh, like with the other panel, I think y'all are reading into that a bit too much. I think he's just bluffing to keep the other members safe.

Enough coincidences make a pattern, and so far as have three odd and suggestive things with Sanji (the sunken ship thing, the Kuma thing, and the wanted poster). There might be more.

I don't think it's a stretch to say there could be something to this.

ugh now i want to reread all of one piece

The struggle. I started re-reading it a few months back but had to stop due to time constraints, but every time I look at this thread I get the strongest urge to keep reading. And I definitely will lol.

I feel like the first panel is kind of a stretch, but the panel with Kuma definitely seems like it could mean something.

That doesn't really sound like something you would say as a bluff.

The post Sol posted was interesting in the fact that it was almost three years ago but it noticed Sanji's convenient absence during exposition events regarding the Tenryubito/Nobles as well as other small hints.

I mean, it's gotta be something. He's wanted alive.

I'd be blown away with an early character like Sanji hiding such a huge secret for the entire damn series.

The post Sol posted was interesting in the fact that it was almost three years ago but it noticed Sanji's convenient absence during exposition events regarding the Tenryubito/Nobles as well as other small hints.

I mean, it's gotta be something. He's wanted alive.

I'd be blown away with an early character like Sanji hiding such a huge secret for the entire damn series.

what did Sol post?

I think it's great that Oda is dropping this on us. People always complain about the lack of character development for a lot of the crew, and I think he's doing it now with Sanji in a very interesting way.

Squishy3

The other interesting thing that probably means nothing in this chapter is the girl wearing a shirt with Kuma/A Pacifista on it

child sized pacifista coming soon to the a grand line island near you!

Big One

Banned
Another thing I noticed about the Sanji thing.

Let's look at the World Map:

WR872Un.png

Sanji is from the North Blue, and to get to East Blue you either need to cross Reverse Mountain, go through Fishman Island, or go through Mariejois itself (stated in the manga that's pretty much the only way to cross). You can also climb these massive walls of the Red Line ala manly man Fisher Tiger, which I doubt Sanji did as a child:

vihC82S.png

Sanji was surprised when Nami mentioned Reverse Mountain as a way to get to the Grand Line, as if he didn't even know what it was:

And we all remember this infamous scene from Fishman Island:

This suggest the only way Sanji could've crossed into East Blue, is through Mariejois' jurisdiction.

Sanji crossed through Mariejois to get to East Blue as a child.

Sanji's Past in North Blue - Interesting article from a while ago.

what did Sol post?

I think it's great that Oda is dropping this on us. People always complain about the lack of character development for a lot of the crew, and I think he's doing it now with Sanji in a very interesting way.
Above.

But yeah, that's the reason I'm excited about this more than anything.

WR872Un.png

Sanji is from the North Blue, and to get to East Blue you either need to cross Reverse Mountain, go through Fishman Island, or go through Mariejois itself (stated in the manga that's pretty much the only way to cross). You can also climb these massive walls of the Red Line ala manly man Fisher Tiger, which I doubt Sanji did as a child:

vihC82S.png

Sanji was surprised when Nami mentioned Reverse Mountain as a way to get to the Grand Line, as if he didn't even know what it was:

This suggest the only way Sanji could've crossed into East Blue, is through Mariejois' jurisdiction.

Hmm. I wonder how many small details like this might pan out if this turns out to be true. It's something Oda would have been planning for years.

While I love all the theorizing going on around here, I find it hard to believe that Sanji is some kind of royalty. We know from his past that he worked as a cook on the Orbit cruise ship before Zeff and his crew attacked it.

Why would Sanji be working if he was royalty? The only reasons I can think of are

a) he ran away

b) his parents did something similar to Doflamingo's father, stepping down from their ruling position

c) his parents were open minded royalty/nobility like RIku or Cobra. If they weren't kind I imagine they would be something like Sabo's father, and would never have heard of him working to make a living. This could lead to him running away to pursue his dream though.

d) his parents died and he was abandoned by the community

I think an interesting idea would be that the cruise ship, the Orbit, that he worked on may have been a very high profile ship that serviced a lot of powerful people, and that he may or may not have made connections with or overhead things that could influence things in the world. That may be a stretch though since it happened a while before series proper.

He also may have gotten to East Blue on the Orbit, which could have passed through Mariejois if it was a high profile ship.

That begs the question though, if the Orbit was a high profile ship, it would seem that Zeff should have been persecuted pretty fiercely.

Anyway for all I know they mentioned details about the Orbit in chapters way back in the Baratie arc that shit all over this, but I'm just spitting ideas.

/shrugs

WR872Un.png

vihC82S.png

!!!!!!(゚ロ゚屮)屮

he i just realized the image of Sanji from the middle panel is what is use on his new wanted poster

how did the marines even get a photo of that lol

definitely an awesome theory, and I can see it as one of the possibilities despite my previous post haha. I love that all these connections can be made, and they make so much sense. Oda really has to be my favorite mangaka. Well Togashi would be up there too but we're not on good terms.

The next island is Zou, which is Japanese for "elephant".

The figurehead of Jack's ship is an elephant.
latest

Perhaps the captain of one of Kaido's underling crews??

Raonak

Banned
If sanji is royalty, I have a good feeling that his family will be at the Reverie. That'd be a pretty great way to tie in the strawhats into that whole scenerio.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It could just be Oda deciding to turn Sanji into a prince after 10 years of being known as Mr. Prince. -_-
Regardless of whether or not he plans things out way in advance, he's particularly talented at telling a story retroactively. Hints that may not have originally been intended to be hints are woven into a new plot idea so organically that it definitely feels like it's all been planned out.

IHaveIce

Banned
I'm not gonna go dig up post history because it's nearly bedtime for me, but a lot of your posts come across that way. :shrug:
Lol you are one to talk avout post history lmao

On topic: oh shit Big One you are right. He had to either cross the calm belt, the grandline or the redline as a child

Metal B

This means nothing
This was supposed to be a joke, which got lost in translation.
The mother looks for a kid with a bear shirt. Of course, the reader aspects an bear to be on his shirt, but we actually see him with a shirt of the Shichibukai Kuma. Since kuma means bear in Japanese, it's a funny, little wordplay.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Attach is supposedly some super-sneaky photograph. :p

I think Zoro's photo comes from when he finished off the dragon, no?

Now there's a video game idea.
Take pictures of wanted criminals without getting noticed, or in Nami's case, pretend to be someone else.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Don't forget that Moriah has ties to Kaido too, and Absalom has already been confirmed to be active in the New World. Expecting him to show up during this next arc.

Also, I'll just leave this here.

tumblr_nth17y7o3i1thl7ceo1_540.png

Bandini

I hope Oda just nonchalantly refutes the "Sanji is royalty" theory next week. People get so easily convinced of these things when time and time again a wait and see approach proves best.

As far as the chapter, I loved how Oda shrouded Doffy's face during his speech to give the impression the reader would get to see his eyes, and then when's he finally shows his face, he has new glasses. Nice troll, buddy.

Qurupeke

The first thing I thought when I saw the poster is that a woman from the Government/Tenryuubito liked Sanji. So she wants him captured because she loves him. No royal Sanji or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom