• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kater

Banned
I could see them just not being too flirty but when everyone's gone they are all lovey dovey. But that's just what I read between the lines.

Are we sure Rayleigh and Shakky are married? I thought they were just Shakking up.

image.php

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Just re-read VIZ 498, zero reference to them being married. Zero reference to them being in any relationship whatsoever. Ya'll are crazy.

Pretty much the first time we see Shakky. It went something like: "Hey, we gotta find Rayleigh, do you know him?"; "Of course, he's my husband."

Nothing even vaguely like this happened!!!

Veelk

Banned
Shakuyaku calls Rayleigh "Uchi no hito" (うちの人; lit. person of my household)

There is a language gap, but apparently it's supposed to be a term for husband.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Shakuyaku calls Rayleigh "Uchi no hito" (うちの人; lit. person of my household)

There is a language gap, but apparently it's supposed to be a term for husband.

Fan translation with no context. I defer to VIZ's efforts on stuff like this, particularly as far into the series as Sabaody. The only line that seems like it could be their version of this is "he's one of us, so he should be fine." Before saying he's 100 times stronger than the Straw Hats. Contextually her saying "he's my husband" there doesn't make a ton of sense. Assuming thats the same line at least. None of the others up until then seem like they'd correlate.

Edit: oh the wiki specifies the page, nm. Well on that page she says "I think he's got a girl somewhere and stays with her," perhaps it's part of that. Seems to match "person of household."

Just re-read VIZ 498, zero reference to them being married. Zero reference to them being in any relationship whatsoever. Ya'll are crazy.

Nothing even vaguely like this happened!!!

Fan translation with no context. I defer to VIZ's efforts on stuff like this, particularly as far into the series as Sabaody. The only line that seems like it could be their version of this is "he's one of us, so he should be fine." Before saying he's 100 times stronger than the Straw Hats. Contextually her saying "he's my husband" there doesn't make a ton of sense. Assuming thats the same line at least. None of the others up until then seem like they'd correlate.

Edit: oh the wiki specifies the page, nm. Well on that page she says "I think he's got a girl somewhere and stays with her," perhaps it's part of that. Seems to match "person of household."

Chill down, man. You sound way too upset about something this trivial.

It is interesting though and now I'm wondering whether they really are husband and wife or not (even though it's kind of irrelevant to the story). The Swedish translation is usually spot-on, so I took a look at it and in the part you mentioned ("he's one of us, so he should be fine") it says "My husband? He'll be fine", but I don't know, maybe that is indeed a mistranslation. If so there seems to be a lot of confusion and plenty of translators seem to have made that mistake.

Big One

Banned
So I was thinking about the future of One Piece, and with how so far the timeskip has had parallels with previous arcs in the series I think if One Piece were to go on a path of some sort it'll look like this:

East Blue = Fishman Island - Both focuses on showcasing the Strawhat's powers and ability and ends with a Fishman villain.

Drum Island = Punk Hazard - Snow theme (and fire as well in PH), Chopper playing an integral role, antagonist is a joke character.

Alabasta = Dressrosa - Both feature oppressed kingdoms under the reign of a tyrant who is part of the Seven Warlords.

Some possible arcs:

Jaya = Zou - Will setup the next arc real nicely by showcasing various characters that will be important in the future both new and old.

Skypeia = Wano - Both will feature an oppressive all-powerful god-like leader (Eneru and Kaido), set in a setting isolated from the rest of the world.

End of Kaido arc here, Big Mom arc begins.

Davy Back Fight = Pirate's Island - Crew pitstops to an island of competition and sport, ends with a major character appearing (possibly multiple in the NW).

Water 7 = Candy Island - Crew enters a beautiful island with it's own unique flavor, only to be at odds with an authority (WG/Big Mom) who captures one of their crewmates of their own content (Robin/Sanji).

Enies Lobby = Elbaf - The Strawhats team up with an enemy force (Franky Family/Big Mom) to defeat another enemy force (World Government) to get their crewmate (Robin/Sanji) back, but it leads into pure chaos and a miniature war. In the process they realize their friend (Robin/Sanji) has a secret they're hiding from them that caused this battle in the first place.

End of Big Mom arc here, Blackbeard arc begins.

Thriller Bark = Vegapunk's Island - The Strawhats encounter a strange moving island (Thriller Bark/Laputa island that took Capone) and go into it, only to find a unique world like no other (Horror/Sci-fi) ruled by a strange character (Moria/Vegapunk) who created everything in it. The climactic battle is between the Strawhat and a giant (Oars/Vegapunk's experiment).

Shabaody = Mariejois - The Strawhats are towards the end of their journey, but they're faced with the cruel tyrants of this world (Celestial Dragons/Gorosei) and become at odds with them. In the end the Strawhats split up with the help of a Revolutionary force (Kuma/Dragon?)

Impel Down = Luffy's Imprisonment - After the imprisonment of a friend (Ace/Luffy), a plan is set into motion by them (Luffy/Strawhat Fleet) to free said friend from his capture, leading to a huge battle between two forces (Strawhat Fleet/Marines) that will decide the fate of said friend (Ace/Luffy).

Marineford = Raftel - All characters from across the series wage war against each other for the final battle, set in an endgame type area (Marineford/Raftel) over the control of the world. The climax involves a huge revelation of some sort (Ace's heritage/One Piece) that shakes the foundation of the world itself. One of the most epic arcs in the series, and serves as an endpoint of that part of the series.

End of Blackbeard arc here, series ends.

SalvaPot

Just make it head canon and be done with it, its also a given that most husbands abandon their wives to become pirates, so the fact that shakky and rayleigh seem to live together is more significant.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Chill down, man. You sound way too upset about something this trivial.

wut

I'm not upset about anything dude. Just tryin to get to the bottom of this.

The Swedish translation is usually spot-on, so I took a look at it and in the part you mentioned ("he's one of us, so he should be fine") it says "My husband? He'll be fine", but I don't know, maybe that is indeed a mistranslation. If so there seems to be a lot of confusion and plenty of translators seem to have made that mistake.

It seems like a weird thing for her to mention off-hand at the end of a conversation there, especially since nobody seems to react to the "he's my husband" bit.

So I was thinking about the future of One Piece, and with how so far the timeskip has had parallels with previous arcs in the series I think if One Piece were to go on a path of some sort it'll look like this:

East Blue = Fishman Island - Both focuses on showcasing the Strawhat's powers and ability and ends with a Fishman villain.

Drum Island = Punk Hazard - Snow theme (and fire as well in PH), Chopper playing an integral role, antagonist is a joke character.

Alabasta = Dressrosa - Both feature oppressed kingdoms under the reign of a tyrant who is part of the Seven Warlords.

Some possible arcs:

Jaya = Zou - Will setup the next arc real nicely by showcasing various characters that will be important in the future both new and old.

Skypeia = Wano - Both will feature an oppressive all-powerful god-like leader (Eneru and Kaido), set in a setting isolated from the rest of the world.

Davy Back Fight = Pirate's Island - Crew pitstops to an island of competition and sport, ends with a major character appearing (possibly multiple in the NW).

Water 7 = Candy Island - Crew enters a beautiful island with it's own unique flavor, only to be at odds with an authority (WG/Big Mom) who captures one of their crewmates of their own content (Robin/Sanji).

Enies Lobby = Elbaf - The Strawhats team up with an enemy force (Franky Family/Big Mom) to defeat another enemy force (World Government) to get their crewmate (Robin/Sanji) back, but it leads into pure chaos and a miniature war. In the process they realize their friend (Robin/Sanji) has a secret they're hiding from them that caused this battle in the first place.

Thriller Bark = Vegapunk's Island - The Strawhats encounter a strange moving island (Thriller Bark/Laputa island that took Capone) and go into it, only to find a unique world like no other (Horror/Sci-fi) ruled by a strange character (Moria/Vegapunk) who created everything in it. The climactic battle is between the Strawhat and a giant (Oars/Vegapunk's experiment).

Shabaody = Mariejois - The Strawhats are towards the end of their journey, but they're faced with the cruel tyrants of this world (Celestial Dragons/Gorosei) and become at odds with them. In the end the Strawhats split up with the help of a Revolutionary force (Kuma/Dragon?)

Impel Down = Luffy's Imprisonment - After the imprisonment of a friend (Ace/Luffy), a plan is set into motion by them (Luffy/Strawhat Fleet) to free said friend from his capture, leading to a huge battle between two forces (Strawhat Fleet/Marines) that will decide the fate of said friend (Ace/Luffy).

Marineford = Raftel - All characters from across the series wage war against each other for the final battle, set in an endgame type area (Marineford/Raftel) over the control of the world. The climax involves a huge revelation of some sort (Ace's heritage/One Piece) that shakes the foundation of the world itself. One of the most epic arcs in the series, and serves as an endpoint of that part of the series.

Really cool writeup, dude. Whatever happens, it's going to be an incredible ride.

Kater

Banned
I'm guessing it will be an incredibly emotional moment with both of them crying and less awkward dark comedy.

Unless Yasopp dies too before they can talk.

I'm hoping he's not just a douche that helps bring life to this world and then immediately runs away from the responsibilities that come with a newborn and a family. Maybe there's some other reason besides just adventure with friends.

Chariot

I'm guessing it will be an incredibly emotional moment with both of them crying and less awkward dark comedy.

Unless Yasopp dies too before they can talk.

I'm hoping he's not just a douche that helps bring life to this world and then immediately runs away from the responsibilities that come with a newborn and a family.
That's... what he did. He left his wife and child at young age to be a free pirate. Then his wife died alone and his son became an de facto orphan that lied to himself that pirates would come. But they never did. Until Luffy of course, but he wasn't the pirate he was looking for.

Veelk

Banned
That's... what he did. He left his wife and child at young age to be a free pirate. Then his wife died alone and his son became an de facto orphan that lied to himself that pirates would come. But they never did. Until Luffy of course, but he wasn't the pirate he was looking for.

And Usopp commends him for it no less.

Veelk

Banned
Wonder if there will be a change before the meetup happens. I'd like to imagine Usopp berating his old man for ducking out.

Kaya better survive until Usopp gets back :(

I doubt it. It's a common theme in OP in general. Even Ace, who hated his father, hated roger because his reputation as an asshole caused him self esteem issues, not because the actual act of leaving him.

Parental abandonment being tolerated or even commended is a thing in shonen a lot actually. I've only ever seen Ging flat out called out on it, but Gon didn't care. Gon makes sense atleast since that kid is weird. FMA too if that counts, and in that one, Hohenheim is treated with all the love and warmth that he could expect from leaving them.

I doubt it. It's a common theme in OP in general. Even Ace, who hated his father, hated roger because his reputation as an asshole caused him self esteem issues, not because the actual act of leaving him.

Parental abandonment being tolerated or even commended is a thing in shonen a lot actually. I've only ever seen Ging flat out called out on it, but Gon didn't care. Gon makes sense atleast since that kid is weird. FMA too if that counts, and in that one, Hohenheim is treated with all the love and warmth that he could expect from leaving them.

Can't become a shonen hero if your parents around lol
It most likely just easier writing not having them around or if the around you hardly see them \ the don't know anything .

*shrug* Ichigo manages it. Not that bleach is a good manga or anything and Ichigo mostly ignores him, but he's there when needed.

Because Ichigo father is part of the shonen group .
Plus you also hardly see him which is the norm .
I mean it does vary depending on what type of shonen you talking about like harem for eg .

Doubt it .
Usopp respect that his dad was willing to leave his famliy and look for adventure while risking his life.

True. Ah well.

It'll be an interesting meetup for sure, though. I wonder what kinds of abilities Yasopp has.

Veelk

Banned
Because Ichigo father is part of the shonen group .
Plus you also hardly see him which is the norm .
I mean it does vary depending on what type of shonen you talking about like harem for eg .

I'm not saying the trope shouldn't happen, it's just that it's strange for this to be a universally accepted cultural norm. I've met people abandoned by their parents in some way or another. I've seen reactions varying from learned indifference to open resentment to crippling emotional issues. What I've never seen is "oh man, my dad is so cool for abandoning mom to go drinking with his friends and fighting strangers over pointless shit! I'm so proud my mom was able to die alone from terminal disease with him far away somewhere doing fuck all while I dealt with the trauma!"

bjork

What if they knew Banchina was sick, and so she convinced Yasopp to go out to sea in search of medicine for her, but the medicine she told him to get didn't actually exist because it was a lie, and that way he wouldn't have to be around to see his wife die.

Hey, maybe Oda will go the domestic abuse route with Sanji's dad hitting his mom. I don't know if he wants to go there though

I don't know why he wouldn't go there, he's already gone to some risky areas before.

Yeah, Rayleigh and Shakky are husband and wife. Can't be too serious though since Rayleigh had been missing for six months and no shits were given by either party.

they have an open marriage

Some possible arcs:

interesting. Where would you say a battle with Shanks (not necessarily b/w Luffy and Shanks, but a battle including Shanks) would fit into this? I imagine that Shanks and his crew would fight BB and Crew before Luffy's fleet, due to their history.

Wonder if there will be a change before the meetup happens. I'd like to imagine Usopp berating his old man for ducking out.

Kaya better survive until Usopp gets back :(

Kaya is dead, Usopp needs to suffer more to balance out his new godhood.

Veelk

Banned
What if they knew Banchina was sick, and so she convinced Yasopp to go out to sea in search of medicine for her, but the medicine she told him to get didn't actually exist because it was a lie, and that way he wouldn't have to be around to see his wife die.

Is that why he stayed in Luffy's hometown goofing around with Shanks for a year?

Honestly, even if that were true, that'd still be pretty fucked up and most people would have mixed feelings to that revelation at best. Yasopp would be in a desperate and fruitless search by a manipulative lie instead of spending his last moments with the wife he loves. If I were in Yasopp's shoes, and someone I loved did that to me, I'd be very, very angry. And that still leaves Usopp shouldered with having to deal with the death of his mother by himself.

I honestly wonder if this is just a cultural norm that's different from how western cultures deal with grief. Here, generally speaking, tragedy brings people together in a higher surge to help nullify the pain as much as possible. By contrast, a lot of eastern culture seems to revolve around "ignore the problem to save face".

If i remember right she wanted him to go out to the sea , she did not give a reason .
So it's more of follow your dream type of thing .

smurfx

get some go again
wonder if some huge thing will happen at the reverie. i'm counting on it but i wonder how it will go down. if caribou ended up telling kaido about shirahoshi then maybe he kidnaps her and takes her away and gives luffy motivation to take him down. although it's also possible that the world government gets that information out of caribou and charges king neptune with the crime of having an ancient weapon and then puts him and his family in prison and takes control of shirahoshi. hopefully we see some of the real people in power at mariejoa. it's about time we see who is controlling the 5 elders.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm fully convinced Yasopp is going to do something totally badass in the inevitable Shanks flashback/exposition down the line. Like a non-joke, legit cool version of Usopp.

I actually kinda hope we see his reaction to his bounty next chapter, now that Usopp has his own bounty.

wonder if some huge thing will happen at the reverie. i'm counting on it but i wonder how it will go down. if caribou ended up telling kaido about shirahoshi then maybe he kidnaps her and takes her away and gives luffy motivation to take him down. although it's also possible that the world government gets that information out of caribou and charges king neptune with the crime of having an ancient weapon and then puts him and his family in prison and takes control of shirahoshi. hopefully we see some of the real people in power at mariejoa. it's about time we see who is controlling the 5 elders.

i mean other than the fact that Caribou was at fishman island at the same time as the strawhats, is there any grounds to say that he knows about Shirahoshi? We only ever see him for gags, and his cover story wasn't all that significant. Also, is there any connection to him and Kaidou? Why would he tell Kaidou about it?

i don't really remember if Caribou had any backstory, and I don't think his cover story revealed much but I'm not sure.

Squishy3

Shanks hanging around East Blue was probably similar to Luffy's beginning voyage going around recruiting crew members except he kept returning back to the island in between voyages, and then left for the Grand Line after he loses his arm protecting Luffy.

How did Shanks get back to East Blue from the Grand Line/New World? I guess he could probably take out the sea kings and pass through the calm belt.

smurfx

get some go again
i mean other than the fact that Caribou was at fishman island at the same time as the strawhats, is there any grounds to say that he knows about Shirahoshi? We only ever see him for gags, and his cover story wasn't all that significant. Also, is there any connection to him and Kaidou? Why would he tell Kaidou about it?

i don't really remember if Caribou had any backstory, and I don't think his cover story revealed much but I'm not sure.
yeah caribou knows about it. if you don't remember he overheard the conversation between robin and king neptune about shirahoshi being the ancient weapon poseidon. kaido finding out would probably be best for the story since he is luffy's next target and he is trying to start a huge war and what better way than with shirahoshi who can call sea kings to obliterate entire islands.

Squishy3

How did Shanks get back to East Blue from the Grand Line/New World? I guess he could probably take out the sea kings and pass through the calm belt.
I'm saying he was traveling around East Blue gathering his crew and going on adventures when Luffy was a kid and hadn't set foot in the Grand Line at that point. 10 years passed between when Shanks loses his arm betting it on Luffy and when Luffy begins his next journey, so plenty of time for him to make the progress in the Grand Line he ended up making.

bjork

I'm saying he was traveling around East Blue gathering his crew and going on adventures when Luffy was a kid and hadn't set foot in the Grand Line at that point. 10 years passed between when Shanks loses his arm betting it on Luffy and when Luffy begins his next journey, so plenty of time for him to make the progress in the Grand Line he ended up making.

I'd be interested to see how he used to be someone Mihawk saw as worthy of dueling if he hadn't made his way to the GL yet by that point.

Kater

Banned

And Usopp commends him for it no less.

Yeah I know, and it's so messed up and so fucking sad.

I guess I just have to accept that he's a very very flawed dude that can't even take on any responsibility for the people that really need him.

IHaveIce

Banned
That is also something that would be interesting how it is translated in other countries. here Whitebeard said :
"your duels with Mihawk and his piratecrew were tales of legend" or something along these lines, but it does mention a crew for mihawk, that would be the only time someone mentions him having a crew.

Is this in any other language?

IHaveIce

Banned

We have so far no idea how people got out of the grandline so far and it is really ticking me of for some days now, especially in Don Krieg's case.

There have to be exits of some kind

bjork

We have so far no idea how people got out of the grandline so far and it is really ticking me of for some days now, especially in Don Krieg's case.

There have to be exits of some kind

I wonder if there are dead spots in the calm belt, where maybe there's nothing for the sea kings to feed on, so they just don't go there? Then whoever happens to cross there is just lucky.

It wouldn't apply to Krieg specifically, but I also wonder if you had a coated ship, could you just sail underneath the surface level of the calm belt and avoid the sea kings that couldn't withstand the pressure of lower depths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom