• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope we get a Fenrir Zoan at some point. Favorite mythological creature of all time.

It would be cool if Kaidou was based on Loki and his captains were based on Fenrir, Hel and Jörmungandr. Loki definitely fits into the master/father of beasts mould. Loki was known for being able to transform into any animal and escape almost any trap which is a fair guess at Kaidou's power.

It would be cool if Kaidou was based on Loki and his captains were based on Fenrir, Hel and Jörmungandr. Loki definitely fits into the master/father of beasts mould. Loki was known for being able to transform into any animal and escape almost any trap which is a fair guess at Kaidou's power.
It's a cool idea, but I have no doubt in my mind that Kaido is a dragon at this point. The links between him, Kinemon, and Momo are very indicative.

It's a cool idea, but I have no doubt in my mind that Kaido is a dragon at this point. The links between him, Kinemon, and Momo are very indicative.

If Oda intended that and it's absolutely essential to the plot then it will probably be that. Otherwise he might just do something completely different just to surprise people.

Veelk

Banned
I'm rereading the Baratie arc.

Fullmetal marine guy: "What kind of fly is this in my soup"
Sanji: "I don't know, I'm afraid I'm not knowledgable on flies"
*Everyone laughs*

...that's... really not funny.

Also, "Now sir, can't you still eat the soup if I remove the bug" wtf, Sanji, I thought you were supposed to be a professional chef?

*Everyone laughs*

...that's really not funny.

Also, "Now sir, can't you still eat the soup if I remove the bug" wtf, Sanji, I thought you were supposed to be a professional chef?
Sanji has a thing against wasting food. Kind of has to do with the nearly starving to death and having a father figure eat his own leg to survive

*Everyone laughs*

...that's... really not funny.

That's how I feel every time I read one of your posts.

Christ man. That's just a bad translation. He's saying he don't have experience with cooking flies.

Veelk

Banned
Sanji has a thing against wasting food. Kind of has to do with the nearly starving to death and having a father figure eat his own leg to survive

Many chefs would consider the food already wasted if it has a bug in it, but even if you want to consider it from that angle, he can't expect customers to want to eat food that has insects in it. That's....just common sense. Take it back and give it to someone else whose willing to eat it. Eat it himself. I can't imagine Zeff would want to word to spread that their resturant is one that serves infested food to their customers.

That's how I feel every time I read one of your posts.

Christ man. That's just a bad translation. He's saying he don't have experience with cooking flies.

Well, since I'm usually not making a joke, that's fine by me.

And I get what the joke is, I'm just saying it's not funny, so everyone laughing at it is off.

Many chefs would consider the food already wasted if it has a bug in it, but even if you want to consider it from that angle, he can't expect customers to want to eat food that has insects in it. That's....just common sense. Take it back and give it to someone else whose willing to eat it. Eat it himself. I can't imagine Zeff would want to word to spread that their resturant is one that serves infested food to their customers.
Honestly a single bug is most likely not going to effect the soup in any noticeable way. Plus it's possible Sanji noticed the guy placed it there himself. I mean, it's a restraunt at sea, so it's possible he knew there couldn't have been a random fly getting into the soup

Veelk

Banned
Honestly a single bug is most likely not going to effect the soup in any noticeable way. Plus it's possible Sanji noticed the guy placed it there himself. I mean, it's a restraunt at sea, so it's possible he knew there couldn't have been a random fly getting into the soup

....are you suggesting that Fullbody carries a bag of flies with him for such an occasion?

That's....

You know what, I'm not even going to get into it. Fucking One Piece.

Edit: regarding the fly, that may very well be true, but you tell people you dropped and then removed a fly into a soup at a resturant and see how many people are willing to eat it.

Chariot

I mean, it's unusual for a cook to ask that, but we know why Sanji does. He also doesn't force the customer. He asks. Sanji only goes ballistic when Fullbody does. If Fullbody remained calm he would've gotten a new soup and Sanji would've eaten it himself. We see the cooks eat left over food from customers. It happens, Sanji just wants it rather not to happen if possible.

Veelk

Banned
We saw him plant the fly

First off: No, I'm looking at the page right now. There is no panel of him planting the fly, just it appearing and his thought process saying he put it there, but we don't actually see it.

Second: Again, you're suggesting he carries around a bag of flies for embarassing waiters if necesssary?

Third: It's just OP being OP.
I mean, it's unusual for a cook to ask that, but we know why Sanji does. He also doesn't force the customer. He asks. Sanji only goes ballistic when Fullbody does. If Fullbody remained calm he would've gotten a new soup and Sanji would've eaten it himself. We see the cooks eat left over food from customers. It happens, Sanji just wants it rather not to happen if possible.

Idk, I doubt it. The whole thing started because the guy ordered a specific wine, and he intentionally got a different one just to embarass him. Sanji was looking for trouble, probably due to the woman involved, so I think it's likelier that he was just trying to be a wiseass. I'm just saying his wiseassery isn't funny when it's depicted as such.

RomanceDawn

Knowing what we know about Sanji, if he got rid of the food it would have been totally out of character. He still serves food that isn't fresh or is beginning to go bad because he knows it's still edible and won't allow what happened to him as a child happen to anyone else. He even cooks rats and frogs he finds in the woods, lol.

I've seen translations of the bug scene go something like "waiter! What is this bug doing in my soup?!" "I don't know, looks like it it's doing the back stroke." Makes me chuckle. But that could have been the English adaption just taking liberties.

First off: No, I'm looking at the page right now. There is no panel of him planting the fly, just it appearing and his thought process saying he put it there, but we don't actually see it.

Second: Again, you're suggesting he carries around a bag of flies for embarassing waiters if necesssary?

Third: It's just OP being OP.

Idk, I doubt it. The whole thing started because the guy ordered a specific wine, and he intentionally got a different one just to embarass him. Sanji was looking for trouble, probably due to the woman involved, so I think it's likelier that he was just trying to be a wiseass. I'm just saying his wiseassery isn't funny when it's depicted as such.
i'm sorry, we didn't see it, but Fullbody reveals he planted it in an internal monologue

Veelk

Banned
i'm sorry, we didn't see it, but Fullbody reveals he planted it in an internal monologue

Dude....I know

I'm saying we have no way of knowing if Sanji saw it planted, unless he's a mindreader.

Which means he has no real reason to sass the guy other than that he's trying to be funny, and my only post was to say he's failing because it doesn't make sense why any chef, even one traumatized by starvation, would think it's acceptable to serve a soup with a fly in it, edible or not.

Dude....I know

I'm saying we have no way of knowing if Sanji saw it.

Which means he has no real reason to sass the guy other than that he's trying to be funny, and my only post was to say he's failing because it doesn't make sense why any chef, even one traumatized by starvation, would think it's acceptable to serve a soup with a fly in it, edible or not.
even if he didn't see it, he had seen the food up until serving it, so he might've known the fly wasn't there when he gave it to fullbody

Veelk

Banned
even if he didn't see it, he had seen the food up until serving it, so he might've known the fly wasn't there when he gave it to fullbody

So what? That just means a fly got in after he served it, which still means he has to take it back.

All of which is beside the point anyway.

Christ, all I was saying is that OP's witticism sucks ass, not trying to make a back and forth of the trivial details of how Sanji served the food.

So what? That just means a fly got in after he served it, which still means he has to take it back.
I doubt there were many flies on a ship in the middle of the ocean, and given the circumstances he might've guessed that Fullbody planted it. And once the fly was removed, is there really a huge deal? Especially since One Piece's world probably doesn't have the same understanding of bacteria that ours does

Christ, all I was saying is that OP's witticism sucks ass, not trying to make a back and forth of the trivial details of how Sanji served the food.
By nitpicking a tiny detail and complaining a joke didn't translate well. Humor is subjective and also really hard to translate well

Veelk

Banned
I doubt there were many flies on a ship in the middle of the ocean, and given the circumstances he might've guessed that Fullbody planted it. And once the fly was removed, is there really a huge deal? Especially since One Piece's world probably doesn't have the same understanding of bacteria that ours does

See previous post that it's absurd that Fullbody is carrying around a bag of flies in case he needs to embarass some waiters when he goes to eat.

And I doubt that anyway. OP is too anachronistic to assume anything. Tragalfar knows about cells and stuff. Or bacteria don't exist, considering the severe lack of infections people have throughout the world.

By nitpicking a tiny detail and complaining a joke didn't translate well. Humor is subjective and also really hard to translate well

1. This isn't a culturally bound humor. 2. I love sarcasm and wit. This is just a bad example of it.

See previous post that it's absurd that Fullbody is carrying around a bag of flies in case he needs to embarass some waiters when he goes to eat.

And I doubt that anyway. OP is too anachronistic to assume anything. Tragalfar knows about cells and stuff. Or bacteria don't exist, considering the severe lack of infections people have throughout the world.
Here's another thought: whether or not Sanji's actions were appropriate is completely irrelevant, since that's not the point of the scene. Hell, the other chefs even chew him or for it afterwards

Also law is a doctor, so it makes sense that he knows more about that then the average individual

1. This isn't a culturally bound humor. 2. I love sarcasm and wit. This is just a bad example of it.
Not what I'm talking about. Wording is pretty important in any joke and a bad translation can ruin that.

Veelk

Banned
Jesus fucking christ, Veelk.

Oh, come on. I'm not trying to start shit, I just wanted to make one remark on an unfunny joke OP made. Aaron's double posted twice in a row. How come I'm always the one whose blamed when the posts get out of hand?

Not what I'm talking about. Wording is pretty important in any joke and a bad translation can ruin that.

True, but I don't see a reason to assume all foreign jokes are funny and I'm just perpetually getting a bad translation of it.

Oh, come on. I'm not trying to start shit, I just wanted to make one remark on an unfunny joke OP made. Aaron's double posted twice in a row. How come I'm always the one whose blamed when the posts get out of hand?

True, but I don't see a reason to assume all foreign jokes are funny and I'm just perpetually getting a bad translation of it.
Not saying that. I'm saying the specific example you gave was definitely a bad translation. And if you're using that to generalize one piece as not being funny, then I'm afraid I heavily disagree

Veelk

Banned
Not saying that. I'm saying the specific example you gave was definitely a bad translation. And if you're using that to generalize one piece as not being funny, then I'm afraid I heavily disagree

I generalize that to OP being unfunny because I've read the rest of the manga and it's not very funny either (though by and large, OP doesn't use sarcasm/witty humor so much as absurdity oriented humor). This is a reread. I was just remarking on this specific example. And how do you know it's a bad translation of a good joke rather than a good translation of a bad joke?

Edit: I should read Dragonball sometime. It has the same kind of humor, but I remember laughing at it as a kid. I'll have to see if it's just not my kind of humor, or if it's OP specifically that's not funny for me.

I generalize that to OP being unfunny because I've read the rest of the manga and it's not very funny either. This is a reread. I was just remarking on this specific example. And how do you know it's a bad translation of a good joke rather than a good translation of a bad joke?
Why do you feel the need to go out of your way to say that? Especially since I'd be willing to bet most people here would disagree with that opinion. It's fine to have a different sense of humor, but you don't need to try and convince others on such a subjective issue. Also that doesn't explain your reaction to what Sanji said after that, since that wAs never a joke, and your statement shows you clearly couldn't comprehend the point of that scene

Veelk

Banned
Why do you feel the need to go out of your way to say that? Especially since I'd be willing to bet most people here would disagree with that opinion. It's fine to have a different sense of humor, but you don't need to try and convince others on such a subjective issue. Also that doesn't explain your reaction to what Sanji said after that, since that wAs never a joke, and your statement shows you clearly couldn't comprehend the point of that scene

Because people disagreeing with me isn't very important to me. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, I''m just saying my opinion. It always amazes me how many people here think I'm trying to change something, about the manga, about the forum, something. If I wanted to persuade people to anything, I know how to do that, and being deliberately indifferent to how people perceive me here isn't it.

And as for your statement that I am not comprehending the scene, I comprehend it fine and not sure why you think I don't. I know Sanji offering to take the fly out wasn't a joke, but that doesn't mean it makes sense given the fact that no one wants to eat a soup with a fly in it.

To be fair, the both of them are going at it pretty intensely.

You've seen me at intense. This isn't it. This is just persistent.

Because people disagreeing with me isn't very important to me. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, I''m just saying my opinion.

And as for your statement that I am not comprehending the scene, I comprehend it fine and not sure why you think I don't. I know Sanji offering to take the fly out wasn't a joke, but that doesn't mean it makes sense given the fact that no one wants to eat a soup with a fly in it.

You've seen me at intense. This isn't it. This is just persistent.
Because arguing that it was inappropriate and unprofessional for Sanji's to do that misses the point of the scene, which was to establish his character. Honestly it wasn't even meant to be appropriate behavior

Diablos54

I know Sanji offering to take the fly out wasn't a joke, but that doesn't mean it makes sense given the fact that no one wants to eat a soup with a fly in it.
it makes complete sense considering Sanji's character? Especially considering Sanji served the soup in the first place.

Oh+godplease+no+_2fd6032ddba405848576d67520321eb7.gif

Veelk

Banned
Because arguing that it was inappropriate and unprofessional for Sanji's to do that misses the point of the scene, which was to establish his character. Honestly it wasn't even meant to be appropriate behavior

No one remarked that it was odd that a waiter would not be taking spoilt food back, so I don't think that was it. What everyone was shocked at was that they were beating the shit out of customers. Besides, your shifting gears here. Your previous argument was about theorizing on how it was an appropriate action to refuse to take the food back. Now you're saying Sanji's action being inappropriate is the point. It sounds more like you're looking for an out the scene can get away through rather than rebuking the criticism.

People are just really passionate about the fly in soup joke genre I guess.

I know! I never knew this was such a nerve.

No one remarked that it was odd that a waiter would not be taking spoilt food back, so I don't think that was it. What everyone was shocked at was that they were beating the shit out of customers. Besides, your shifting gears here. Your previous argument was about theorizing on how it was an appropriate action to refuse to take the food back. Now you're saying Sanji's action being inappropriate is the point. It sounds more like you're looking for an out the scene can get away through rather than rebuking the criticism.

I know! I never knew this was such a nerve.

No, I was explaining why Sanji might have acted so heated in that particular situation. And have you considered that not everyone thinks a fly touching food is going to completely spoil it? Like, have you ever eaten at an outdoor restaurant? Because you'd be pretty hard pressed to not have insects get by and touch your food in that type of situation. Sanji got mad because he clearly didn't view the food as spoiled, especially as he could simply remove the insect easily. It's not like it was bleeding or anything where it would diffuse into the soup.

Do you honestly think anyone here believes that Sanji was in the right for beating the guy up over that? That we would applaud that in real life? Of course not. But the point is whether it makes sense for Sanji's character and what it says about him, not whether he was actually taking the best and most reasonable course of action

Veelk

Banned
No, I was explaining why Sanji might have acted so heated in that particular situation. And have you considered that not everyone thinks a fly touching food is going to completely spoil it? Like, have you ever eaten at an outdoor restaurant? Because you'd be pretty hard pressed to not have insects get by and touch your food in that type of situation. Sanji got mad because he clearly didn't view the food as spoiled, especially as he could simply remove the insect easily. It's not like it was bleeding or anything where it would diffuse into the soup.

As a matter of fact, resturant hopping was hobby of mine a few years back. And yes, if a fly got in soup, I imagine most people would want a new cup, even in outdoor resturants. If insects are a huge problem, that's what bug zappers and other insect killers are for. No where have I gone that people accepted insects in their food as normal and acceptable. And whatever Sanji may personally believe, it's not really reasonable to expect the same as others. Hell, if he forces down food every time someone decides they don't want it, I don't see how they have enough of a reputation to be a high class resturant where everyone dresses up.

Do you honestly think anyone here believes that Sanji was in the right for beating the guy up over that? That we would applaud that in real life? Of course not. But the point is whether it makes sense for Sanji's character and what it says about him, not whether he was actually taking the best and most reasonable course of action
Okay, we're getting to the point where there is some extreme reading miscomprehension going on here. I never said or implied that people should laud a real life beating.

I'm not saying people think Sanji was right for beating the guy up. I'm saying that's what they were shocked at, meaning they thought it was an inappropriate action. They were not shocked that he refused to take back what most people would consider a spoiled dish. They laughed along with him at his bad joke. While that doesn't preclude it as a socially inappropriate action, I don't think that's whats going on here.

Veelk

Banned
Conversations usually turn to crap the day before a new release it seems.

Honestly, of all the things I'd love to argue about in OP, this is so damn low on the list, I'm shocked it's defended with such vigor. Powers, I get, the whole sexism stuff, sure, the thematic aspects, the politics, the art, all great and diverse megadebate topics that are ripe for picking. Even the general humor of OP would be a good pick.

This though? This tiny insignificant one off joke?

Big One

Banned
The fly in the soup thing was just a gag and happens in other pieces of fiction as well. It isn't meant to be taken literally or seriously like many things in One Piece.

smurfx

get some go again
i want zoro to take out jack if he is the next enemy. in fact i want zoro and sanji to start taking out many of the powerful figures in kaido's crew. zoro needs some great feat in the new world. taking out jack if he is some big shot would do it. luffy already took out doflamingo so he is set. sanji also needs a great feat. i'm wondering if sanji will end up fighting drake.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
What if Jack is the current bearer of the Calm Calm Fruit?
It would be a bit of irony that he's saved by someone that carries the same power as his brother/a man he killed. Then again, I don't think Doffy ever knew that his brother had that power.

Big One

Banned
I think Jack will hold a more vital role in the One Piece world and he won't be the antagonist of Zou (since he's too busy saving Doffy anyway). Jack is an underworld broker or a part of that underground world like Joker, which means he'll play a very vital role even if he's allied with Kadou right now.

I think "Jack" is just a psuedonym for his real name, with a card theme of the underworld broker. Doffy is "Joker," ???? is "Jack," Big Mom is "Queen," and Kaidou is "King." And maybe Blackbeard is "Ace" as a way to rub salt in Luffy's wound.

I'm expecting Jack to be Elbaf arc antagonist material due to the storybook allusions Oda likes to pull. That's why I put Elbaf under the Big Mom series of arcs when I was predicting how the series would go (cause Big Mom already has a children's book theme as is).

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Doflamingo was "Joker" because his higher executives were based on the card suits.
Diamante was diamond, Trebol was clover, Pica was spade, and Vergo/Rosinante was heart.

jeez ive been gone for like a day or two and we degenerate into arguing about a pointless scene in the baratie arc lol.

So, based on evidence that has been gathered, the Hawkins-Apoo-Kidd Alliance is affiliated with Kaidou, and possibly CP0?

Also, I'm glad the flag thing was linked, I speculated that Jack was part of Kaidou's crew and the flag thing seals the deal.

i want zoro to take out jack if he is the next enemy. in fact i want zoro and sanji to start taking out many of the powerful figures in kaido's crew. zoro needs some great feat in the new world. taking out jack if he is some big shot would do it. luffy already took out doflamingo so he is set. sanji also needs a great feat. i'm wondering if sanji will end up fighting drake.

I don't really think Zoro or Luffy need more attention than they already get. We know they're both strong af. Although Luffy is way stronger than Zoro at this point.

Lol reading this last page was hilarious. Veelk do you jus come in say something random,stir shit up,argue back an forth nd leave?

Anyway i hope this chapter is a world reaction chapter when's the last time we've seen everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom