• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

jeez ive been gone for like a day or two and we degenerate into arguing about a pointless scene in the baratie arc lol.

So, based on evidence that has been gathered, the Hawkins-Apoo-Kidd Alliance is affiliated with Kaidou, and possibly CP0?
Hawkins Kidd and Apoo want to take out Shanks, they aren't allied with Kaido... otherwise they'd have known it was Kaido that landed on their pirate base.

Via One Piece Podcast

CQAeBkVU8AA_2Yc.png

https://twitter.com/KKRP2/status/648551359411843072

Here is the page in official digital colour if it helps

Hawkins Kidd and Apoo want to take out Shanks, they aren't allied with Kaido... otherwise they'd have known it was Kaido that landed on their pirate base.

derp you're totally right. I mistook that guy in the panel with maybe-Lucci for Apoo, but it's just a cut from killer to some other people

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I don't think thats Spandam. Why would he be in the holy land of Mariejois? Theres no way he would have that kind of authority.

Yeah, it's kinda weird. But.. it's definitely the same outfit. I dunno, maybe we'll learn more later.

Anyway, sorry for getting back to this guys, but what can I say. I'm history's greatest monster.

I'm rereading the Baratie arc.

Fullmetal marine guy: "What kind of fly is this in my soup"
Sanji: "I don't know, I'm afraid I'm not knowledgable on flies"
*Everyone laughs*

...that's... really not funny.

My VIZ translation, as someone else noted, reads as follows:

Fullbody: "What's this fly doing in my soup?"
Sanji: "Forgive me sir, it's hard to tell, but it appears to be the backstroke."

A little sillier. At least more obvious as a joke. Probably a bit of VIZ localization there and not a direct translation, but in keeping with the spirit of the original.

Now as to why everybody laughs, it's because of context. They already saw Fullbody make a fool of himself several pages earlier when Sanji put a stop to his rehearsed and set-up wine performance, and chuckled there originally. This is just Yet Another Fullbody Failure and they are already primed to enjoy him being clowned on.

Also, "Now sir, can't you still eat the soup if I remove the bug" wtf, Sanji, I thought you were supposed to be a professional chef?

In mine, he says, after Fullbody smashes the table: "If you'd just removed the bug, you could have EATEN that soup you know." Not really a polite question, more of an accusatory statement, after Fullbody has smashed the place up and wasted the food utterly. He is not currently in a position to be acting like "a professional chef." Again, context. We've seen on numerous occasions that the chefs at Baratie do not take shit, and will happily berate and abuse customers that step out of line. They're a pirate restaurant, it's their whole shtick.

And even without that, it's entirely within Sanji's character. After pulping Fullbody we see his thesis, "To offend a cook at sea is a fool's mistake. Remember that. And food must NEVER be wasted." This is after Fullbody has repeatedly treated Sanji like a waiter, and Sanji has corrected him. This is the Same Sanji that flirted with Fullbody's date, the same Sanji that, once part of the Strawhats, will dote on Robin and Nami with wonderful fancy plates while throwing the scraps to the men. He owes zero professional courtesy to Fullbody, both on the basis of his fundamental character and the established mentalities of the entire Baratie crew.

....are you suggesting that Fullbody carries a bag of flies with him for such an occasion?

Fullbody: *I'll leave your reputation in splinters, with a bug from my private stock!*

lol one piece, I guess.

RomanceDawn

Yeah, it's kinda weird. But.. it's definitely the same outfit. I dunno, maybe we'll learn more later.

Anyway, sorry for getting back to this guys, but what can I say. I'm history's greatest monster.

My VIZ translation, as someone else noted, reads as follows:

Fullbody: "What's this fly doing in my soup?"
Sanji: "Forgive me sir, it's hard to tell, but it appears to be the backstroke."

A little sillier. At least more obvious as a joke. Probably a bit of VIZ localization there and not a direct translation, but in keeping with the spirit of the original.

Now as to why everybody laughs, it's because of context. They already saw Fullbody make a fool of himself several pages earlier when Sanji put a stop to his rehearsed and set-up wine performance, and chuckled there originally. This is just Yet Another Fullbody Failure and they are already primed to enjoy him being clowned on.

In mine, he says, after Fullbody smashes the table: "If you'd just removed the bug, you could have EATEN that soup you know." Not really a polite question, more of an accusatory statement, after Fullbody has smashed the place up and wasted the food utterly. He is not currently in a position to be acting like "a professional chef." Again, context. We've seen on numerous occasions that the chefs at Baratie do not take shit, and will happily berate and abuse customers that step out of line. They're a pirate restaurant, it's their whole shtick.

And even without that, it's entirely within Sanji's character. After pulping Fullbody we see his thesis, "To offend a cook at sea is a fool's mistake. Remember that. And food must NEVER be wasted." This is after Fullbody has repeatedly treated Sanji like a waiter, and Sanji has corrected him. This is the Same Sanji that flirted with Fullbody's date, the same Sanji that, once part of the Strawhats, will dote on Robin and Nami with wonderful fancy plates while throwing the scraps to the men. He owes zero professional courtesy to Fullbody, both on the basis of his fundamental character and the established mentalities of the entire Baratie crew.

Fullbody: *I'll leave your reputation in splinters, with a bug from my private stock!*

lol one piece, I guess.

Done and done!

Who would have thought such a lengthy discussion could ever come from such a small portion of the story? I guess Oda is just that good, hahaha.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
We need to see Hina, Jango and Fullbody again.

Chariot

You laugh. But Oda being Oda will reveal in 300 chapters that the fly was in fact a microbot build by Dr. Vegapunk to research all fighters on earth to build his ultimate biological pacifista that absorbs all other pacifista to evolve and the only way to stop it is the son of Usopp and Kaya from the future and a strangely convoluted tournament.

What if Captain Jack has eaten the fly fly fruit and that was him in Baratie? It makes sense because he's Sanji's older brother and so he wanted to check in on him but he wanted to do it incognito. It also explains how Jack flew from East Blue, where he was known as Morgan, and made his way to the Grand Line. Jack is also Luffy's and Lola's mother, but had a gender change by Ivankov.

#opfantheories

Nightbird

What if Captain Jack has eaten the fly fly fruit and that was him in Baratie? It makes sense because he's Sanji's older brother and so he wanted to check in on him but he wanted to do it incognito. It also explains how Jack flew from East Blue, where he was known as Morgan, and made his way to the Grand Line. Jack is also Luffy's and Lola's mother, but had a gender change by Ivankov.

#opfantheories

This seriously sounds like something a crazy Fan would come up with xD

#opfantheories
Fujimom and Crocomom are the only theories I accept.

bjork

You laugh. But Oda being Oda will reveal in 300 chapters that the fly was in fact a microbot build by Dr. Vegapunk to research all fighters on earth to build his ultimate biological pacifista that absorbs all other pacifista to evolve and the only way to stop it is the son of Usopp and Kaya from the future and a strangely convoluted tournament.

You're not implying that Usopp is the Vegeta of this series are you

Lunar15

Hard to compare DBZ to One Piece. Oda usually gives all his characters unique fights, while DBZ tends to center on one or two main villians per arc. Everyone but Goku jobs because it has to be Goku (or Gohan) who beats the final villian.

Chariot

Ussop has definitely the better win-rate. Vegeta always tries to go against the main threat and naturally loses because he isn't the star of the manga. Neither is Ussop, but he picks his fights wiser.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Oda's treatment of his characters is almost a direct response to fix DBZ's jobbing problem. Pretty sure his world building and adherence to canon is also responding to Toriyama's loosely crafted world and lack of attention to details.

The point of Vegeta's character is that he is supposed to lose. Like, his mentality about things are so toxic that he needs to be humbled.

Ussop is supposed to be better than even he thinks he is.

Lunar15

Usopp's won most of his fights. Aside from getting wrecked by the Franky Family, he's been fairly successful when he actually enters a "fight".

Wins:
Jango: Won (With zoro's help)
Chew: Won
Miss Merry Christmas and Mr. 4: Won (with chopper's help)
Spandam?: Won? I guess?
Perona: Won
Daruma: Won (with chopper's help)
Sugar: Won (lol)

Losses:
Luffy
Franky Family

Most of the strawhats win the fights they're given. Not a whole lot of jobbing. Like I said though, really different focuses with the different series.

mrmickfran

The discussion of Ussop getting wrecked by the Franky Family just reminded me of how much of an asshole Franky was. It's crazy comparing him to today's Franky.

The discussion of Ussop getting wrecked by the Franky Family just reminded me of how much of an asshole Franky was. It's crazy comparing him to today's Franky.

Eh, not really. I don't see how he as a major asshole; he was just a street thug. His crew stole money to survive and wanted to steal the money Usopp was carrying.

...that's not an asshole move in your book?

Are you serious?

In a world full of pirates you're calling him a big asshole for stealing money? A street thug and his gang trying to survive, by, in this case, stealing money from a pirate? There's no way you're serious about this. If you think Franky is an asshole, you must think Nami is the worst person in the world.

Chariot

Are you?

Stealing from a pirate doesn't make a bandit automatically Robin Hood. He stole money for his crib, to fulfill his own desires.

Franky wasn't a saint but I think the story indicates that he only preyed on pirates and helped protect Water Seven. It just so happens that his men picked on one of the handful of decent pirates in the world.

Are you?

Stealing from a pirate doesn't make a bandit automatically Robin Hood. He stole money for his crib, to fulfill his own desires.

I never said that he was Robin Hood. I said he wasn't an asshole, and I've already provided arguments for why. So again; what is Nami in your book? The biggest asshole in the world? Why was Franky in particular an asshole? If he was, then every other pirate in this world must be even worse, not to mention how many of them have murdered.

Chariot

Chariot you gotta take that L
Do I?

Don't turn me into Veelk. Franky got around, but he was not a nice man, except to his crew of course. Attacking Usopp - and anyone - just for him being a pirate was narrow minded.
I never said that he was Robin Hood. I said he wasn't an asshole, and I've already provided arguments for why. So again; what is Nami in your book? The biggest asshole in the world? Why was Franky in particular an asshole? If he was, then every other pirate in this world must be even worse, not to mention how many of them have murdered.
Nami had asshole moments, yeah. Like stealing the ship. Doesn't mean she is a bad person in her core. But stealing isn't nice regardless. She had a reason for being an ass, but that doesn't change she was.

Veelk

Banned

Nami and Franky both stole money from random people for their own self interest. Even if other people did worse things, that doesn't make the action of theft any less wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom