• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm betting he's blind guys. There must be a reason Oda keep Dofla with his sunglasses.

Man...Dofla seems evil to the core, what the hell. And we're entering a flashback now.
Damn tease!! Hope it won't be too long.

It's because he's a blonde, gaudy version of Zoro, design wise.

Edit. ^nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuooooooooooooooooooooo

Lunar15

A bit disappointed that the chapter was so short. Why did Fujitora and Sabo stopped fighting again?

Translation was a bit wonky, but it sounded like Fujitora had a change of heart. He was upset that the Navy couldn't be viewed as heroes in this situation because they'd be helping Doflamingo's twisted goals instead of helping the people. Same thing happened with the citizens of dressrosa, who realized that playing along with Doflamingo's game was pointless. Everyone put their chips on Luffy, basically.

Doflamingo is basically Joker from Batman.

As for Fujitora, I think that it was Sabo who was telling him in flashback that he felt that it was absurd that Doffy had set things up so not even Marines could be heroes in Dressrosa. I think that Koala was telling him off for saying he had sympathy for the marines in case it ruined his image in the revolutionary army. The "birds of a feather" comment was a bit weird and might relate to Flamingo's image with his feathered cape. Confusing either way as either could have said it as context was missing.

Kain

It's because he has 8 eyes. He's a goddamn spider.

He is... Varys?

Fujitora backing up Luffy makes sense once Doflamingo showed his true colors. He must think "let them beat each other up and when they are done I'll arrest the ones left alive". Now, he doesn't know that Sanji has been hanging out with Big Mom and she has fallen for him, that will be Fujitora's downfall.

Because Sanji has totally been hooking up with her. It is known.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Doflamingo is basically Joker from Batman.

As for Fujitora, I think that it was Sabo who was telling him in flashback that he felt that it was absurd that Doffy had set things up so not even Marines could be heroes in Dressrosa. I think that Koala was telling him off for saying he had sympathy for the marines in case it ruined his image in the revolutionary army. The "birds of a feather" comment was a bit weird and might relate to Flamingo's image with his feathered cape. Confusing either way as either could have said it as context was missing.

He strikes me as a more psychopathic version of Greed from FMA, to be honest.

Doflamingo is probably my favorite OP villain in quite a while.

I'm so looking forward to the inevitable Bellamy team-up with Luffy and Law. :)

Korosenai

Doflamingo is probably my favorite OP villain in quite a while.

I'm so looking forward to the inevitable Bellamy team-up with Luffy and Law. :)
I hope Bellamy defeats Doflamingo, or does the finishing blow. Doflamingo hates being looked down on, and it could quite possibly be the most embarrassing thing that could ever happen to him.

I hope Bellamy defeats Doflamingo, or does the finishing blow. Doflamingo hates being looked down on, and it could quite possibly be the most embarrassing thing that could ever happen to him.

I could imagine a Whitebeard-esque moment where Bellamy stabs his sword right through Doflamingo from behind because Dofy's too arrogant to even consider Bellamy might harm him later on in the fight.

Metal B

What is great about Doflamingo and may other pirate captains (Blackbeard, Whitebird, Buggy, etc.), is that they all act very sympathetic to there crew. Which makes sense on a most basic human level, since everybody needs and wants friends, but even more in a historical context. Pirate crews choose there captain. They were all free bandits, could always leave a crew after finishing a job and always vote for a new captain. So very strong pirates in One Piece have no reason to follow a abusive or stupid captain. Therefore Doflamingo actually be very nice to his whole crew, is a fitting characterization of the pirate theme.

On the other hand many leading man of the marines or government in One Piece act very cruel to there subordinates. No one from CP9 would follow Spandam, if he would be a pirate captain. The same goes for his father, Captain Morgan and many other leading people in the story.

Doffy is my favorite for caring though. It's never really mentioned at first but you slowly see it before it's even mentioned that they're also a family really.

Buggy doesn't care though. He used his own men for shields and was quick to throw them away. He does have Luffy's power where people rally behind him though. :p

Coby and Nami both were stuck serving pirates who were not sympathetic to their crews.

Buggy somehow manages to not be abusive to his crew and the running joke is that they are not bothered by his stupidity. Doflamingo is different in that he can be very abusive to his followers but is so intelligent and manipulative that he can get away with it.

Kater

Banned
Oi, I just realized that the girl who is with
Sabo is Koala, the same girl that got rescued by the Sun Pirates and brought back to her village.
(Spoilers for Chapter 731 and onward)

That's so awesome. :)

I'm such a doofus for not catching onto that earlier. I shouldn't have rushed through the pages and read more carefully instead.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Oi, I just realized that the girl who is with
Sabo is Koala, the same girl that got rescued by the Sun Pirates and brought back to her village.
(Spoilers for Chapter 731 and onward)

That's so awesome. :)

I'm such a doofus for not catching onto that earlier. I shouldn't have rushed through the pages and read more carefully instead.

And that is a big reason not to skip Fishman Island. Because everything in One Piece matters.
Except Davy Back FIght.

Kater

Banned
And that is a big reason not to skip Fishman Island. Because everything in One Piece matters.
Except Davy Back FIght.
No, I actually read that but I didn't realize that that was
the same girl as in the flashback
in the Fishman Island Arc.
And she is a teacher of Fishman Karate and at that the first of her race that learnt it. That's so cool!

DBF was for the most part fairly boring, yeah.

BatDan

No, I actually read that but I didn't realize that that was
the same girl as in the flashback
in the Fishman Island Arc.
And she is a teacher of Fishman Karate and at that the first of her race that learnt it. That's so cool!

DBF was for the most part fairly boring, yeah.

Ah right.
Still, there are some people saying to skip Fishman Island, even though that is never a good idea.
It's like when Skypiea was fairly new and people were saying to skip it. Years later, oh look at all the plot elements that matter now!

Ninjimbo

DBF was funny. It had some cool gags like Afro Luffy. I think the arc was sort of needed after the epic Skypeia stuff. OP needed something weird and light especially because of what comes afterwards. I really like how DBF ends too with the introduction of Aokiji. It perfectly hinted at everything that was to come.

Lunar15

Why would you not read DBF? DBF is so fucking good in the manga.

It really builds up the team's relationships right before their most important growth arc.

Loofy

Is there an issue this week?

Never realized this before.
Luffy blocked his attack and still got demolished. He never stood a chance.
ckYoQq7.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is there an issue this week?

Never realized this before.
Luffy blocked his attack and still got demolished. He never stood a chance.

Donfla has been using Haki for a lot longer so it makes sense he'd be better at using it than Luffy. He's not going to be able to overpower this opponent, he'll need to get clever again.

Loofy

Still though.. Makes me think we'll need another timeskip before luffy can take on someone like aokji.. And then another before hes emperor level.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Still though.. Makes me think we'll need another timeskip before luffy can take on someone like aokji.. And then another before hes emperor level.

One Piece isn't just a power level series though, so long as Luffy is near the same level as his opponents he can get a win by using what he's got more creatively. Look at Enis Lobby, he won those fights by using his powers in a new way.

jercruz

Corazon sure is one clumsy bloke. Walk? Slips. Drink tea? Too hot. Light a ciggie? Get burned.

Looks like he used the ope ope no mi's ultimate move to give law life. (implied law is terminal as a kid?)

Kater

Banned
Corazon sure is one clumsy bloke. Walk? Slips. Drink tea? Too hot. Light a ciggie? Get burned.
Both brothers are kinda awkward people, one walks like a bird, the other is really extremely clumsy. What a weird family. 😂
Looks like he used the ope ope no mi's ultimate move to give law life. (implied law is terminal as a kid?)
Ah right, because he had the powers that Law now has. Yeah, he probably did that.

Couldn't he have fixed his clumsiness too with those powers?

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos

That actually makes sense. Looking back that seems heavily implied so I feel pretty unobservant for not realizing that haha.

I also figure Dofy with only give hints about the national treasure so no major reveals...

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I have a theory that the 5 Elder Stars celestial dragons are the original celestial dragons and have been using bonny to stay young. However, if Doffy could give them a more permanent solution than a pirate who has escaped before. I think he would have a lot of power over them. I wouldn't be surprised if Corazon was suppose to make somebody else immortal and then made Law immortal instead and then Law got his devil fruit as well.

Ahh man they put this in community. It won't be long before the two one piece threads accidentally bleed into each other.....

BatDan

Fucking Pandas... I could barely tell what was going on. And they still get Trebol's name wrong.

*waits for better translation*

Korosenai

Doflamingo keeps saying he killed Corazon (I think hes said it a couples times now), but I think it became clear this week what really happened.

Also, i didnt think Laws fruit could be anymore OP than it already was, but shiet..... This chapter proved me wrong.

BatDan

Here's a comprehensible summary from the almighty Aohige at AP.

North West city of Primula, a marine tries to stop the animals from hurting themselves on the birdcage by shooting them with sedatives.
Pirates are looting the city, while children cry over he fallen bodies of their parents.

In midst of the chaos VA Maynard gets a report from a marine soldier that the fight between Sabo and Fujitora ended in a tie.
This was hard to swallow for the VA, as Fujitora is an Admiral, the highest fighting forces the Marines have.
He finds something fishy about this outcome... but for now, Maynard focuses on bringing order to the chaos at hand.

Meanwhile at the palace, Dofla (a string clone?) and manipulated Bellay attack Luffy, who is hand-tied behind his back.
Luffy kicks them with Gomu Gomu Octostamp, but is kicked down into the caslte walls by Doflamingo.
He breaks through the entire layer of the castle, damaged.

Doflamingo continues to tell is tale.. of how cruel humans can become towards a fallen Celestial Dragon.
As he walks over to Law to start the execution, Law questions Doflamingo how he is able to have such political clout, such as using the CP0, when he is no longer a World Noble.
Doflamingo answers.. he has knowledge of a great "treasure" hidden deep within the holy city of Marie Jois.
The mere existence of this treasure can tremble the world. This knowledge makes him dangerous, but the Nobles were unable to kill Doflamingo due to his might. They instead decided to work with him, granting him the power.
Dofla continues, saying if he had the Ope Ope Fruit in his grasp on that fateful day, he could have taken control of the "treasure" and rule over the world!

That's how powerful the Ope Ope fruit is... but did you know that in the hand of a talented man, the fruit can even grant one of the oldest wishes of mankind... for this some consider this the ultimate devil fruit!
Law did indeed know what he's talking about. The ability to "operate" on a person to change him/her into an unaging immortal at the cost of the user' life...!

Dofla had no intention of giving the fruit to Law.
Even though Dofla's family gave Law everything he knows... swordsmanship from Diamante, martial arts from G Lao, cannon mastery from Gladius... Law turned on him.

Law gives gratitude for all that, and to Cora-san who is the reason why Law is still here (and alive)
He gives thanks to Doflamingo for giving him power to defeat him

Flashback...
Young boy Law stands in front of Diamante and Trebol. He says he has 3 years and 2 month to live.
He wants to kill as many people as possible in that 3 years of life.
The two officers laugh at how crazy the boy is. There are many kids who come to them, most run away crying within two days.

Buffalo and Baby 5, two children who survived and stayed with the family, greets Corazon as he returns.
Corazon slips and falls as he enters the building. The two children laugh, but is subsequently slapped by Corazon.
Baby 5 brings tea for Corazon, and he spews it out at how hot it is.

Trebol and Diamante asks if Corazon has finished the job, and to hand over the money if so.
The two explains to Law that this man is the true brother of Doflamingo, and an officer... despite his inability to focus and clumsiness.
He was traumatized in the past and lost the ability to speak.

They tell him he also hates kids, as Corazon grabs Law by the head and throws him out the window, onto a mount of steel.
He then lights a cigarette, only to burst burn himself in flames.
Law, hurt on the steel mount, vows to kill the man.

End of chapter, break next issue

Zeus Molecules

someone on the one piece reddit mentioned the fact sugar is eternally young. Maybe Corazon used his powers on her (as a test maybe) and then Law ran away with the fruit before Doffy could figure out how to use it again?

BatDan

someone on the one piece reddit mentioned the fact sugar is eternally young. Maybe Corazon used his powers on her (as a test maybe) and then Law ran away with the fruit before Doffy could figure out how to use it again?

No, they already mentioned that the Hobby Hobby Fruit's side effect is keeping her young.

Zeus Molecules

No, they already mentioned that the Hobby Hobby Fruit's side effect is keeping her young.

you never know, that could just be a lie told to explain it. I mean 2 different fruits that can give people eternal youth in one arc. Even if its not the cause I hope they explain a reason for that.

Kater

Banned
I wonder what Brooke's take on this "ultimate" devil fruit capability?
Oh right, he's immortal (afaik) and can regenerate from a lot with the help of some milk for his bones. That's probably better than the Ope-Ope Fruits power, at least in regards to making someone immortal. :/

Apropos Brooke, I really want to see him fight someone again.

I always get a kick out of when the early translations are totally fucking incomprehensible

"Admiral Maynard, feel the pain of Sabo and Issho's victory."

"What the hell?"

"You idiot! The admiral at headquarters has highest "War Potential"! He's the pride of the navy!"

mind-blown-jackie-chan-720x340.jpg

That translation was incomprehensible. Thanks for the summary, BatDan.

holy shit lmao

I didn't even see your post, or the summary

It's been a while since we've had one this crazy

thanks BatDan

I always get a kick out of when the early translations are totally fucking incomprehensible

"Admiral Maynard, feel the pain of Sabo and Issho's victory."

"What the hell?"

Lol when I first read that I was like

Oh snap,,,, Traitor attack coming up
Started reading it a few pages in then quit. What the hell is a dragon king.
I guess they mean Celestial Dragons as in the nobles

but seriously that translation was unreadable

BatDan

Started reading it a few pages in then quit. What the hell is a dragon king.

As RealTalker said, it's meant to be Celestial Dragon (or Tenryubito), but whoever translated didn't know jackshit.

Seriously, this chapter translation was on the level of Duwang in Jojo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom