• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can't add too many crew members. Oda already divides up chapter time between too many characters as it is.

I say only two more will join to get that 10 + Luffy. Probably Jimbei and one girl. The girl will be because Oda will realize he can't make Nami's boobs any more bigger, so he'll compensate by adding two more boobs instead.

We can't add too many crew members. Oda already divides up chapter time between too many characters as it is.

I say only two more will join to get that 10 + Luffy. Probably Jimbei and one girl. The girl will be because Oda will realize he can't make Nami's boobs any more bigger, so he'll compensate by adding two more boobs instead.

I dont think the straw hats are gonna gain members but instead an actual fleet. Their gonna have their own army soon enough

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I dont think the straw hats are gonna gain members but instead an actual fleet. Their gonna have their own army soon enough

Naah they'll probably have a group of people who will come to their aid whenever called upon.

I don't see Luffy as someone who will make a fleet. Any fleet that he'll have will be an unofficial one.

I don't see Luffy as someone who will make a fleet. Any fleet that he'll have will be an unofficial one.

yeah why would the dude who wants to be pirate king and take down the yonkou amass a pirate fleet? it's pure craziness.

there's like no precedent for it, and no foreshadowing at all. i could see it happening if maybe there was an arc where something like dozens of strong characters suddenly find themselves loyal to a Straw Hat and all of a sudden entire crews are being pledged to Luffy. how crazy would it be if an arc like that happened

idk, I'm just super convinced that that's where this arc is leading. romance dawn for a new era
I think this arc has been hinting hard at a pirate fleet under the Straw Hat banner. Barto Club I could see as just a recurring set of characters but Chinjao straight up wants Luffy to command his crew (+Sai and Boo). Meanwhile Usopp is just getting godlier by the minute and there's a whole slew of powerful and unique characters currently loyal to him. I really think he's going to be commanding a Straw Hat crew of his own by the end of this arc. Straw Hats are entering the big leagues and they're fucking with the strongest in the world so it only makes sense they'd expand like half the major player's crews we've seen throughout the series

Loofy

Naah they'll probably have a group of people who will come to their aid whenever called upon.

Yeah It'll be like this series where all the coliseum fighters just started following him for some reason. The new whitebeard pirates will follow luffy too.

Luffy will become Pirate King and attack Marejois. A lot of allies will show up to fight the marines (remnants of whitebeard, some supernovas, a yonkou, some shichibukai, the revolutionaries). In 10 years, you'll all see.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I remember during Water 7 when everyone was super convinced Paulie was going to join. You had some people advocating for the rest of Galley-La before the big reveal, but most people were convinced Paulie was crew member material. Then the sea train and Enies Lobby happened and that got entirely turned on its head.

For all we know, Hack might become a temporary Straw Hat and then tie into Jinbei's return. Bonney might show up out of nowhere. I honestly never know what is going to happen in this series, anymore. Luffy even cooperated with marines for an entire arc.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Watching King Riku's flashback in the anime reminded me how tragic the Dressrossa royal family flashbacks were. Oda's been in top "tearjerker" form this arc.

King Riku lost his country and the people's good will, Kyros lost his identity, his body, and his wife, and Rebecca lost her mother.
God damn Doflamingo is an amazing villain.

smurfx

get some go again
Watching King Riku's flashback in the anime reminded me how tragic the Dressrossa royal family flashbacks were. Oda's been in top "tearjerker" form this arc.

King Riku lost his country and the people's good will, Kyros lost his identity, his body, and his wife, and Rebecca lost her mother.
God damn Doflamingo is an amazing villain.
i hope doflamingo ends up having a terrible ending. crocodile and enel did some really bad things but they ended up not really paying for it in the end.

Magwik

Banned
I honestly don't see any "main" crew characters getting established. More side characters like Hancock? Oh we'll get a ton of those. But the crew is established at this point.

ryan13ts

Jinbei is definitely joining, he's pretty much looking for the SH's right now in the cover story. I'd personally love Bart to join, his fanboy antics could make for hilarious interactions with the crew.

I remember during Water 7 when everyone was super convinced Paulie was going to join. You had some people advocating for the rest of Galley-La before the big reveal, but most people were convinced Paulie was crew member material. Then the sea train and Enies Lobby happened and that got entirely turned on its head.

For all we know, Hack might become a temporary Straw Hat and then tie into Jinbei's return. Bonney might show up out of nowhere. I honestly never know what is going to happen in this series, anymore. Luffy even cooperated with marines for an entire arc.

I'd have loved to be around when the Water7 Arc was being released on the manga... I wonder if anyone rooted for Franky at the beginning...

Though not gonna lie, Paulie was amazing on that arc.

Korosenai

My money is on Kaido.

Oda sets up Doflamingo as this villainous character. Dark, mysterious background. Evil in every way and doesn't care for anybody and will do whatever he wants. Super strong, probably one of the most powerful people in the world and he can create exact clones of his self... just to have him get curb stomped and killed by Kaido, a man we've only seen mentioned a few times and never actually seen his face before.

It would probably be one of the most epic moments in One Piece history.

Astral

Oda sets up Doflamingo as this villainous character. Dark, mysterious background. Evil in every way and doesn't care for anybody and will do whatever he wants. Super strong, probably one of the most powerful people in the world and he can create exact clones of his self... just to have him get curb stomped and killed by Kaido, a man we've only seen mentioned a few times and never actually seen his face before.

It would probably be one of the most epic moments in One Piece history.

I don't know about that. I get the impression that he actually cares about his subordinates. He seemed really pissed off when Law took Baby 5 and Buffalo hostage. Though I guess it could be that he sees them all as his property and he doesn't like anyone fucking with that.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'd love it if this was when a Mugiwara Fleet established. If Jimbei turned up in time, he could captain a 2nd ship with dudes like Bart and Cabbage aboard, Bellamy too.
Bon Clay as well if he ever resurfaces.

Would be good potential for a spin-off manga as well.

Nibel

So I've watched the 3D2Y special yesterday and wonder if Ruffy did pierce through Don Flamingo with Red Hawk? Also, I wasn't aware of it being a fire attack which is pretty cool.

Tuck

Just finished the first half of the manga. What a fucking good ride. Its fun, funny, and tels a really engaging story. The art style is really endearing too, and the world building is surprisingly well done. Its very imaginative, and works in a way that the author can pretty much do whatever he wants. I think my favorite part is the rock solid continuity that rewards long time readers. Easily one of my favorite fictional works of all time.

I really only have two issues. The author's tendency to kill characters and then bring them back a few chapters later (This has happened at least five times now) is completely unnecessary and makes the story notably worse. That said, when the author finally found his balls and killed off two characters for real, it was impactful.

I guess the second issue is character development. The characters have really, really well done backstories. They aren't 2D characters. That said, after they are introduced, they don't really change. I think Zoro and Sanji are the two biggest examples of this, while Ussop and Robin are the exceptions.

It took me three months to do, but I finally reached the time skip. I'm going to stop here, even though I don't want to. I don't want to catch up to the manga and have to wait each week for a new chapter.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm really excited to see the third admiral they mentioned. If he's anything like Fujitora, we're definitely in for a treat. I wonder what Japanese actor he'll be based on, lol.

And his color is green.. what logia ability would go with green? Perhaps a life fruit that can grow vegetation at will? I'd say poison, but Magellan has that covered already.

I guess the second issue is character development. The characters have really, really well done backstories. They aren't 2D characters. That said, after they are introduced, they don't really change. I think Zoro and Sanji are the two biggest examples of this, while Ussop and Robin are the exceptions.
Zoro hasn't changed, but he has had moments that really do a lot to reveal his character since he lost to Mihawk. The Thriller Bark segment where he takes Luffy's pain, for example, was a really good way to show how far his loyalty extends and just how tough he really is. Sanji has slowly been revealing himself to be one of the most intelligent Straw Hats and often goes off on his own to do things, showing a lot of initiative, like in Enies Lobby when he opened the gates, Skypiea when he infiltrated the Maxim, Water 7 when he went off on the Sea Train alone, etc. Neither of them have really "changed", per say, but we've gotten to know them better.

Zoro hasn't changed, but he has had moments that really do a lot to reveal his character since he lost to Mihawk. The Thriller Bark segment where he takes Luffy's pain, for example, was a really good way to show how far his loyalty extends and just how tough he really is. Sanji has slowly been revealing himself to be one of the most intelligent Straw Hats and often goes off on his own to do things, showing a lot of initiative, like in Enies Lobby when he opened the gates, Skypiea when he infiltrated the Maxim, Water 7 when he went off on the Sea Train alone, etc. Neither of them have really "changed", per say, but we've gotten to know them better.

yeah the characters don't really change and that makes sense to me .
There core personality are the same , we just to see them grow closer as a group along with some other things.
They are adults and most of them set in there way.

This we chapter was nice and Don is a monster in term of power.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Man Doffy is a beast, but it was flashback time anyway.

Its interesting to see sabo and fujitora basically stalemated and went their separate ways. I might need to read the mangastream version to understand it better though.

Kater

Banned
Fight has cooled down quite a bit. Reminds me a bit of Luffys fight against Crocodile in the desert which was also a bit slower paced. Luffy probably has to figure out all their weaknesses first and then beats Doffy in the second fight. And it also looks like Luffy is going for Doflamingo while Law wants to take Trebol down (something about incapacitating him with his DF powers? Uhhh, can't wait).

yeah why would the dude who wants to be pirate king and take down the yonkou amass a pirate fleet? it's pure craziness.

there's like no precedent for it, and no foreshadowing at all. i could see it happening if maybe there was an arc where something like dozens of strong characters suddenly find themselves loyal to a Straw Hat and all of a sudden entire crews are being pledged to Luffy. how crazy would it be if an arc like that happened

idk, I'm just super convinced that that's where this arc is leading. romance dawn for a new era
Didn't Roger just have a small crew?

One Piece 760

Short, and Doflamigo's flashback wasn't very compelling (lol at little Doflamigo's sunglasses, c'mon Oda) but GODDAMN did Luffy and Law get taken down

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Surprisingly short chapter.
There's probably a little more to Doffy's past than this. But considering he was a Celestial Dragon, who we've seen to be selfish horrible people before, it's possible that his entire backstory is petty as hell.

Kater

Banned
I still can't get over little doflamingo's sunglasses
kid_doflamingo1.png

He's rocking those glasses.

Kain

Haha, I love how Doflamingo's backstory doesn't seem sympathetic in the slightest. He's a spoiled rotten brat to the core.

And that's OK. I'm tired of bad guys being good guys at heart (not speaking for OP specifically). I want my bad guys to be bad, rotten and total scumbags so I can hate then properly, damn it.

So, Doffy is a Tenryubitto (spelling) wanting to end their rule (or the world itself, but whatever)? Doesn't that make him a revolutionary in practice? Not that he wouldn't want anything to do with that organization, but still...

And that's OK. I'm tired of bad guys being good guys at heart (not speaking for OP specifically). I want my bad guys to be bad, rotten and total scumbags so I can hate then properly, damn it.

So, Doffy is a Tenryubitto (spelling) wanting to end their rule (or the world itself, but whatever)? Doesn't that make him a revolutionary in practice? Not that he wouldn't want anything to do with that organization, but still...

His motives are completely selfish. He doesn't want to better the world he just wants to get back at the people who insulted him

Nibel

Don Flamingo is just a piece of shit, and I love it. Not every enemy needs to have some kind of noble goal, and him being basically the personification of the world aristocrates in One Piece is just perfect.

Also, his father seems like one of the most interesting OP characters in a long time to me. Hopefully we'll discover more in the future.

Kreed

One Piece 760:

Yeah I don't think One Piece has an issue in this department. It's rare when a bad guy in One Piece is a "good guy" at heart vs being an outright scumbag, outside of the marines. Doflamingo is definitely on top though with everything he's done.

Chapter was pretty good, though it was expected for Doflamingo to get some good shots in after how last chapter ended. I really hope we get a proper flash back for Law and Doflamingo soon vs at the end of the fight/when the fighting really gets going.

Lunar15

Yeah, it's totally OK. I'd say Hody and Lucci were also pretty unsympathetic in their backstories. I'm fine with having totally rotten characters as long as their rottenness is still rooted in something believable. Hody, Lucci, and Doflamingo clearly have reasons for their selfish, rotten behavior, even if it's not sympathetic. It doesn't have to be sympathetic to be good, it just has to be believable.

For me, it's more about what that horrible behavior represents. For Hody, it was the dark side of repressed racism. For Lucci, it was the dark side of absolute justice. For Doflamingo, it seems to be the dark side of unrestrained wealth, power, and entitlement. They're simple themes, but I think that's what makes one piece continually compelling. For all his faults, Oda usually remembers to stick to the basics of compelling, thematic storytelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom