• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mihawk cutting a ship in half was one of the most impressive things I've seen in an anime.

There wasn't even any buildup to it - just BAM! Ship gone. The following fight was amazing too. Zoro lost, but that was one of his best moments. "A wound in the back is the shame of a swordsman."

One of my top 5 moments in this series.

On the Zoro/Mihawk note, I just realized something new today via the subreddit:

ROyv8Am.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
One of my top 5 moments in this series.

On the Zoro/Mihawk note, I just realized something new today via the subreddit:
Damn, that second one finally makes that quote less weird and actually quite cool.

Realized the ship parallel when re-reading Fishman Island in color. The colored manga is so good. Better than the anime even. A visual novel with voice overs and music would make it the perfect OP adaptation

BBC news have a front page video calling the attack on titan guy, "Japan's top manga artist." For some reason I find this annoying. Like they are proud of their lack of cultural knowledge. But One Piece isn't that popular here in the UK. Like I don't even think that there is a legal way to watch anime from this decade with some dvd company sitting on the rights.

Veelk

Banned
BBC news have a front page video calling the attack on titan guy, "Japan's top manga artist." For some reason I find this annoying. Like they are proud of their lack of cultural knowledge. But One Piece isn't that popular here in the UK. Like I don't even think that there is a legal way to watch anime from this decade with some dvd company sitting on the rights.
Wouldn't it be Miura anyway? I thought it was generally unanimous that his art is the best.

Wouldn't it be Miura anyway? I thought it was generally unanimous that his art is the best.

In terms of cult appeal maybe. But they are talking about popularity where Attack on Titan isn't on the same scale as One Piece or Dragon Ball. Really the BBC were just asking where he got the "crazy" idea of giants that eat people from but calling him the top manga artist or greatest manga artist is just, ugh.

It's Osamu Tezuka anyways, unless you're only going by recent artists

Miura as Japan's "top manga artist" though? Respected sure but I wouldn't say he's the top dog in the manga industry in terms of sales or influence.

Unless you mean artist from a purely technical standpoint, which is subjective.

Veelk

Banned
Miura as Japan's "top manga artist" though? Respected sure but I wouldn't say he's the top dog in the manga industry in terms of sales or influence.

Unless you mean artist from a purely technical standpoint, which is subjective.

I meant just from a technical standpoint. I know art is subjective, and people can like a certain artstyle more, even One Piece's. but in terms of the sheer detail he gives each and every page, I don't think I've seen anyone suggest an equivalent to that.

That said, I said before that I'm not as big in manga reading as I used to be, so I might be wholly off base with that.

SalvaPot

I was thinking about the HYPEST momenth of One Piece so far.

The series has a looooooooot of great moments (The shooting of the WG flag, the moment Ace is rescued, the first time Luffy uses Gear 2, list goes on and on). But the one that always gets me and I keep going back to is this one.

Manga Chapter 571, Volume 58.
Garp_Confronts_Luffy.png

Garp confronting Luffy.

Ace is right behind Garp, Garp so far has remained neutral and he clearly does not want Ace executed, because he loves him as a son, but when Luffy is about reach Ace then Garp out of nowhere gets in the way.

Luffy yells to his grandpa to get out of the way, Garp responds (Paraphrasing here) "I have been fighting pirates since way before you were born. This is the path you two have chosen! Straw Hat Luffy"

"I can´t do that! Move!"

Then we are treated to a how Garp still see his boys as kids and closes his eyes.

4294607065_a73d394c0d.jpg

luffy_vs_garp_by_djf002.jpg

And Luffy gets to Ace.

Finally, Sengoku says it best. "Garp is a father first".

Damn! The way the drama is managed is so fucking good. All the arc you are expecting Garp, who is always right next to Ace, to break down and help Ace, go down and help Luffy, or just leave. Of course him standing up and stopping Luffy himself makes sense too, but the exact moment it happened just couldn´t be timed better, brilliant setup and my hypest moment for sure.

Jigolo

I was thinking about the HYPEST momenth of One Piece so far.

The series has a looooooooot of great moments (The shooting of the WG flag, the moment Ace is rescued, the first time Luffy uses Gear 2, list goes on and on). But the one that always gets me and I keep going back to is this one.

Manga Chapter 571, Volume 58.
Garp_Confronts_Luffy.png

Garp confronting Luffy.

Ace is right behind Garp, Garp so far has remained neutral and he clearly does not want Ace executed, because he loves him as a son, but when Luffy is about reach Ace then Garp out of nowhere gets in the way.

Luffy yells to his grandpa to get out of the way, Garp responds (Paraphrasing here) "I have been fighting pirates since way before you were born. This is the path you two have chosen! Straw Hat Luffy"

"I can´t do that! Move!"

Then we are treated to a how Garp still see his boys as kids and closes his eyes.

4294607065_a73d394c0d.jpg

luffy_vs_garp_by_djf002.jpg

And Luffy gets to Ace.

Finally, Sengoku says it best. "Garp is a father first".

Damn! The way the drama is managed is so fucking good. All the arc you are expecting Garp, who is always right next to Ace, to break down and help Ace, go down and help Luffy, or just leave. Of course him standing up and stopping Luffy himself makes sense too, but the exact moment it happened just couldn´t be timed better, brilliant setup and my hypest moment for sure.
Yeah love this part as well. There are so many great moments that I go back and watch on YouTube. Dadan vs Garp, White beard vs Ronse, Chopper transforming into monster Chopper during sabaody archipelago

Yeah love this part as well. There are so many great moments that I go back and watch on YouTube. Dadan vs Garp, White beard vs Ronse, Chopper transforming into monster Chopper during sabaody archipelago

This one gets to me emotionally, because it was at that point u really knew like...wow the strawhats can't win this one

Kizaru is fast but he seems to move in straight lines and takes time to charge up. Raleigh stopped him from chasing Luffy. Enel is faster if he has conductive metal.

My guess for Mihawk is that there is a new power that hasn't been revealed, maybe called sakki. Sakki, in context, would be the will to kill. Or colour of killing haki. For Mihawk it would make sense that as the greatest swordsman he is the man with the strongest will to kill or cut his enemies. Like we see his will to kill when he sees people who are just "interesting" like Zoro or Whitebeard.

bjork

Honorable duels are only between people who have a grudge that their honor depends on. Mihawk attacks people because he enjoys it.

Where are you getting this from? We've seen him do anything ever, twice. Don Krieg interrupted his nap, and he was at Marineford to keep his end of his Shichi agreement.

Veelk

Banned
I just re-read little garden, they basically just fought because they liked doing it, though they were friends atleast, and their whole shtick was about honor. Rereading it, I think it's my least favorite arc, with how it glorifies pointless violence, with Nami and vivi being brushed off as just not getting it when pointing out the inherent stupidity of it all.

Though it is one of the few arcs that goes into religious worldbuilding, as we discussed earlier.

Where are you getting this from? We've seen him do anything ever, twice. Don Krieg interrupted his nap, and he was at Marineford to keep his end of his Shichi agreement.

Apart from Zoro the best example is Whitebeard at Marineford. He basically attacked Whitebeard full on, not because of his honour or because of an obligation. He just wanted to see if he could cut him.

bjork

Apart from Zoro the best example is Whitebeard at Marineford. He basically attacked Whitebeard full on, not because of his honour or because of an obligation. He just wanted to see if he could cut him.

Which falls under being there as a Shichibukai. He wouldn't fight Shanks later, because he hadn't agreed to. Though, it does make me wonder if Zoro will cut through diamond before Mihawk and this will be seen as surpassing him without a full-on fight to settle it.

Which falls under being there as a Shichibukai. He wouldn't fight Shanks later, because he hadn't agreed to. Though, it does make me wonder if Zoro will cut through diamond before Mihawk and this will be seen as surpassing him without a full-on fight to settle it.

He knew that he could have just sat back and not done much but the temptation of attacking Whitebeard "the strongest man in the world" was just too much for him. And anyway fighting Shanks isn't interesting to him any more so it's not a good comparison.

You are spot on with the cutting diamond observation. I do think that is going to come back at some point.

bjork

It would be something if they met someone with the diamond power, because Mihawk had already taken out Jozu off-panel somewhere.

Lunar15

I just re-read little garden, they basically just fought because they liked doing it, though they were friends atleast, and their whole shtick was about honor. Rereading it, I think it's my least favorite arc, with how it glorifies pointless violence, with Nami and vivi being brushed off as just not getting it when pointing out the inherent stupidity of it all.

Though it is one of the few arcs that goes into religious worldbuilding, as we discussed earlier.

While it's not a favorite arc of mine by any means, I think it's worth mentioning that One Piece is largely about people treasuring things that are pointless to others. Luffy will pretty much throw himself into immediate danger to protect his otherwise pointless strawhat because it has meaning to him.

I viewed Dorry and Broggy's fight as a continuation of that idea: Yes, it's totally stupid that they're fighting and the manga constantly points this out. But the fight meant something to them, and they both adhered to the rules around it because it gave them purpose. It wasn't really about winning, it was about principles, and One Piece is pretty much a story about principles facing up against principles and seeing which ideal lasts out. Luffy doesn't save the Giants and say "hey you should probably stop fighting". He saves them because the villains prevented them from living out their principles.

One of the strengths of One Piece that makes me like is that everyone operates with oustandingly straightforward motives. This can be a bad thing at times, as people and events seem unrealistic, but it's definitely satisfying when Oda's able to draw a specific scene that sums up the contrast in two ideals. Like Croc for instance: He built an entire organization out of distrust: No one used their real names, the chain of command built around fear of assassination, and no one even knew who Mr. 0 even was. But luffy's the contrast to that. While it never truly waivers, the crux of the drama between Luffy and Vivi is that Vivi has to trust luffy's singular vision, even if things seem really bleak. It's corny as hell and not actually all that dramatic when you think about it, but the payoff of Vivi realizing that Luffy was right all along as Crocodile flies in the air and the rain falls down is pretty satisfying, luffy being a deus ex machina aside.

None of these themes are deep or exclusive to one piece. It's pretty standard shounen tropes abound. But the execution is pretty awesome and Oda excels at the payoff.

Veelk

Banned
While it's not a favorite arc of mine by any means, I think it's worth mentioning that One Piece is largely about people treasuring things that are pointless to others. Luffy will pretty much throw himself into immediate danger to protect his otherwise pointless strawhat because it has meaning to him.

I viewed Dorry and Broggy's fight as a continuation of that idea: Yes, it's totally stupid that they're fighting and the manga constantly points this out. But the fight meant something to them, and they both adhered to the rules around it because it gave them purpose. It wasn't really about winning, it was about principles, and One Piece is pretty much a story about principles facing up against principles and seeing which ideal lasts out. Luffy doesn't save the Giants and say "hey you should probably stop fighting". He saves them because the villains prevented them from living out their principles.

I was more referring to how Luffy and Usopp glorified the practice. Usopp in particular thought highly that the fighting itself was what made a great warrior. The idea of glorifying something like that is just gross to me.

It's not a criticism of the manga itself. That giant Robin befriended thought the whole thing was dumb too, so this is my way of saying I think dorry and broggy are assholes, not that they're badly written per se.

bjork

I was more referring to how Luffy and Usopp glorified the practice. Usopp in particular thought highly that the fighting itself was what made a great warrior. The idea of glorifying something like that is just gross to me.

It's not a criticism of the manga itself. That giant Robin befriended thought the whole thing was dumb too, so this is my way of saying I think dorry and broggy are assholes, not that they're badly written per se.

Keep in mind that Usopp is also the one with the least amount of experience in the world at that point. He might still respect it now, but perhaps he wouldn't be as fangirly about it once he gets to Elbaf? I would say for that time in the series, his excitement fits his fairly ignorant world view.

Lunar15

I don't personally see how them fighting each other is all that gross when it's not really hurting anyone else, but I do think we'll see these concepts touched upon again in an eventual Elbaf arc. There definitely seems to be a whole "violent race of vikings" that runs in with all the Giant stuff, so I'm interested to see if oda subverts it at all when we actually get to their homeland.

Anyway, Little Garden is primarily a stop-gap and never feels really complete in my opinion. A lot of it is just oda setting up concepts for later down the line and also drawing giants and dinosaurs. There's some great moments though, like Zoro posing before he dies.

Veelk

Banned
Luffy, with more experience, would say the same too though. Luffy might also value the principle of the matter, but he also endorsed it. And I think zoro had the same sentiment, though it was kinda late into the arc.

bjork

Luffy, with more experience, would say the same too though. Luffy might also value the principle of the matter, but he also endorsed it. And I think zoro had the same sentiment, though it was kinda late into the arc.

I don't know that I'd use Luffy as any sort of measure for practical thinking, heh. Even now in the story. But I get what you're getting at.

I wonder, in terms of having matured as fighters, if they could beat Dorry/Broggy in one on one fights. I would guess Luffy and Zoro are givens, right?

Yeah I'm confused, Dorry and Broggy seemed to be infamous lore wise but were weak af.

Wonder what kind of giants live on Elbaf and how strong they are...

The sort of unique thing about Dory and Brogy is that they had a whole crew of giant pirates. They were not really amazing individually compared to a giant like Oars or a really strong devil fruit user.

I'm not totally sure what Elbaf represents to Oda in the story but he wrote early on that one of his main inspirations was the kids cartoon Vikki the Viking. The story every week was about how these Vikings were sort of stupid and they needed the kid Vikki to tell them what to do. A lot of the heroic characters in One Piece and other Shonen are kind of stupid. From the whole east blue saga he plainly said that the only characters who not supposed to be acting stupid were Ben Beckman, Nami and Kuro.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I don't really remember the arc super well but are Dory and Broggy actually weak? I mean sure they kinda got beat to hell by some Baroque Works chumps, but the actual events themselves seemed pretty reasonable. Ate poison explosives, held to the ground with wax and huge spikes through hands. Buncha sneaky crap. I don't really feel like they're notably weaker than Hajrudin, and wouldn't be super surprised to see them portrayed as notably stronger in the future.

Dugna

Yeah Dorry and Broggy had to fight constantly for several years with no full rest because of the very active volcano, and after that eat a explosive bomb to weaken one while also being held down by a devil fruit power they have never seen after all of that. Its not that Dorry and Broggy were weak its that they were basically exhausted by then.

Also Usopp doesn't glorify the fight, he glorifies the act of the honor of the fight. Don't confuse those two. I mean he wants to be the Brave Warrior of the Sea, so he's going to form his opinion slowly over the show and the duel between Dorry and Broggy effected it.

Veelk

Banned
Also Usopp doesn't glorify the fight, he glorifies the act of the honor of the fight. Don't confuse those two. I mean he wants to be the Brave Warrior of the Sea, so he's going to form his opinion slowly over the show and the duel between Dorry and Broggy effected it.

That's really the same thing in this case. The reason that the 'honor of the fight' is praiseworthy in his eyes is that it is gratuitously persistent, long after they had any reason left to fight. By glorifying the catalyst for the fight, you glorify the fight itself.

Dugna

That's really the same thing in this case. The reason that the 'honor of the fight' is praiseworthy in his eyes is that it is gratuitously persistent, long after they had any reason left to fight. By glorifying the catalyst for the fight, you glorify the fight itself.

No you glorify the honor, Usopp doesn't like violence we know this. Again he likes the honorable part about it, because he aspires to be a great warrior of the sea.

Its like how you can respect the conviction of somebody standing behind their ideas but not the ideas themselves.

Lunar15

I wonder, is Elbaf even in the new world? If it was, that'd be kind of weird for multiple reasons, mainly considering how hard it is to get between the two halves of the grand line.

Like, how does an eternal pose work if you're going to the New World from Paradise? Does it point you to Fishman Island and then the island you're looking for on the other side?

I mean, Oda is wildly inconsistent with methods of travel, especially when you consider the weirdness of the grand line. It's probably the weakest part of one piece, if you ask me. A lot of bits of logic that break down over time.

Dugna

I wonder, is Elbaf even in the new world? If it was, that'd be kind of weird for multiple reasons, mainly considering how hard it is to get between the two halves of the grand line.

Like, how does an eternal pose work if you're going to the New World from Paradise? Does it point you to Fishman Island and then the island you're looking for on the other side?

I mean, Oda is wildly inconsistent with methods of travel, especially when you consider the weirdness of the grand line. It's probably the weakest part of one piece, if you ask me. A lot of bits of logic that break down over time.

Vivre Cards seem to dictate finding a exact island in the new world compared to the magnetic area of islands in paradise.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Well it probably depends on how far away you are, yeah? If you're in the middle of the first half of the grand line an eternal pose to the middle of the new world probably just points straight down. The planet's a sphere, after all. Or, really, it probably just doesn't work at all. You likely have to be within a certain radius of any one island for the magnetic signal to be strong enough to even be picked up by a log pose. Which means you need to have a BASIC idea of where it is ahead of time, make your way there, and then you can start to pick up and follow the actual signal.

Veelk

Banned
No you glorify the honor, Usopp doesn't like violence we know this. Again he likes the honorable part about it, because he aspires to be a great warrior of the sea.

Its like how you can respect the conviction of somebody standing behind their ideas but not the ideas themselves.

The separation of the conviction of the action and the actions themselves comes off too much like the sin/sinner separation narrative religious people often use to loophole out of respecting others rights. "No, it's not about the act itself, but what the act represents!"

I mean, suppose we're not talking about an 'honorable duel'. What about Crocodile's convictions that he should take over the country? What about Doflamingo's convictions in his right to spread pain and misery to others at his behest because he is a World Noble? What about Arlong's convictions in Fishman superiority giving him the right to cause as much pain as he likes to Nami? You'd have to argue that Usopp also respects all these things. Honestly, conviction is a dime a dozen. It's essentially a common trait among the vast majority of a cast. It's not difficult or admirable to be stubborn about an idea, plenty of people do it. All you need to do to have conviction is never alter your position however wrong you're proven to be, and that's how all these guys operate. But they're never commended for it by the main cast. Usopp never goes "Oh, man, Hody is so awesome that he maintains his belief that humans are trash and how he's gonna go out and kill us all! A real Brave Warrior of the Sea!" This is because it is obviously stupid to commend the wrong kind of conviction. Conviction where the person is obviously dead wrong or is simply malicious or flat out stupid. He doesn't commend any of them like he does the Giants, because whereas he cannot respect Arlong for abusing Nami for his belief system, he does respect Dory and Broggy for fighting pointlessly...which in effect means he is supporting pointless fighting.

So, no, glorifying the will and conviction to do X is tantamount glorifying X itself. Usopp is specifically praising the fact that they are continuing to fight pointlessly because they're stubborn, and brushes off Nami's criticism as "you just don't get it". You might have a point if Usopp went "Yeah, it is pretty dumb, but you have to admit, it takes a lot of conviction to keep going after all this time". This would be acknowledging the nuance of the sitaution, and Usopp just doesn't do that. He approves it wholesale.

The idea never made sense because it is predicated on the notion that the path to one piece as a wide, but straight track. That may make sense from a singular crew's perspective, but not when you look at it globally and try to act like everyone stars off in the 4 blue seas. Supposing that you grew up in the New World, you could very well be 1 island away from Raftel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom