• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjork

I mean... Bleach's art is one of its high points, let's be fair. No need to throw Yu Yu under the bus to say so tho.

Oh, for sure. I think Kubo is great at drawing poses and nine times out of ten, I dig the character designs. The only bleach character that comes to mind instantly when I think of a design I dislike, is the guy that fights Ichigo after Grimmjow.

But I also think Kubo would be put to better use drawing the art for a story someone else writes. Something about fashion runway competitions, since Araki is busy doing Jojo.

Chariot

Kubo understands cool. While he got some shit like the infamous "The Heart" and black men turning into strange something monsters, he has down how to make a cool panel with build-up and reveal. What's really hurting him is, that the substance is missing. I often thought "hey, that would be a cool reveal if it weren't retarded". Seriously get Togashi out of wherever he is hiding right now and let him dictate Kubo what to draw. Art would of course clash, but there would be art.

Big One

Banned
Has anyone pointed out how obvious it is that the person who did all that destruction is Weevil and his mom? It even looks like the path of destruction he did on that other island he was on.

Maybe Marco is on Zou.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I mean... Bleach's art is one of its high points, let's be fair. No need to throw Yu Yu under the bus to say so tho.
You know why they call it Bleach?

Cause every page is filled with white space OHHHHHHHHHH

We know that Kaido's boys are on Zou. It doesn't seem likely that they would live alongside Whitebeard remnants.

I don't know what is going on there but I can try to guess.

Part of Kaido's Zoan army came to Zou a while ago and lied to the isolated minks telling them that they were "lesser minks" coming home because they were part animal. So they let them stay.

The reason for them being there probably has something to do with Zou itself, something that the Elephant doesn't like. Which is why it tries to wash them off it's back with water sprayed from it's trunk.

But maybe Zou wasn't as isolated as they thought as the Samurai had a spy there as well as Bepo having some sort of contact.

So If I would have to guess what broke the gate and trashed the village I would guess Sheepshead did it just because it's the simplest explanation. Maybe something the swirly brows did started a war between the Minks and Kaido. War between Zoan and Minks with God Zou controlling the land would also mirror skypiea arc.

Majukun

Has anyone pointed out how obvious it is that the person who did all that destruction is Weevil and his mom? It even looks like the path of destruction he did on that other island he was on.

Maybe Marco is on Zou.

it's not only NOT obvious,it's wrong

zou is an island with no magntism (since it's a living being)
there is NO WAY to get on that island without a vivre card...and weevil was starting with basically ZERO info on where luffy was..so the possibility that he actually somehow got right that luffy's next destination was zou,somehow acquired a vivre card of one of the inhabitants,and managed to get there way before luffy and his gang did it's next to zero
or at least as impossible as something in a work of fiction could be

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
it's not only NOT obvious,it's wrong

zou is an island with no magntism (since it's a living being)
there is NO WAY to get on that island without a vivre card...and weevil was starting with basically ZERO info on where luffy was..so the possibility that he actually somehow got right that luffy's next destination was zou,somehow acquired a vivre card of one of the inhabitants,and managed to get there way before luffy and his gang did it's straight impossible
or at least as impossible as something in a work of fiction could be

It could be there's a way to get to Zou without doing all that. Someone had to get there first after all. Remember that there was another way to get to Skypia, wouldn't surprise me if there was another way to get to Zou too.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Maybe Marco is on Zou.
How and why would Weevil be on Zou?

Nibel

Yeah, not sure how Weevil (thought he was Weeble? heh) should know about Zou or that the Strawhats are there. I also think that when he was shown for the first time he was just on some random island. Now, Caribou being there would be fucking hilarious.

Bleach:

Just watch Yu Yu Hakusho instead

12eFoZRoh8TaMg.gif

I just started to watch this very recently with the English dub (which has its own charm I think), and I really like this - you can clearly see some of the beginnings of Hunter X Hunter in here.

Oh no Furry Arc. Oda is about to get a new house.

Damn, forgot about that when I saw the last page. Do furries fuck with One Piece though

How and why would Weevil be on Zou?

Not sure about the timelines, but assuming he did then he would have had a week (?) to get to Zou from when he was first revealed.

The only way I can see this making sense is if Weevil's momma is also Lola's momma, and hence the Vivre Card between Nami and Lola becomes important.

I think it's possible, assuming that's the case.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Not sure about the timelines, but assuming he did then he would have had a week (?) to get to Zou from when he was first revealed.

The only way I can see this making sense is if Weevil's momma is also Lola's momma, and hence the Vivre Card between Nami and Lola becomes important.

I think it's possible, assuming that's the case.

That Vivre card should only lead to Lola's mom though. So it couldn't be used to find Nami.

While he has more than enough time to get there, Weevil doesn't have any motivation to go to Zou, no knowledge that Luffy is going there and no means of finding it even if he did (let alone get there BEFORE Luffy). Plus the minimal facts we have are contrary to what we know of Weevil. All of Weevil's destruction started from minor squabbles, so the full frontal offensive we are seeing on Zou wouldn't match. Plus, Franky has already noted that it smells like gas and gunpowder, which suggests that the enemy is modern or mechanical in nature, which doesn't match Weevil either.

The only thing connecting Weevil to Zou is generic destruction. Which would apply to almost every enemy character in One Piece.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Plus, Franky has already noted that it smells like gas and gunpowder, which suggests that the enemy is modern or mechanical in nature, which doesn't match Weevil either.

I agree with your overall thesis, but for the record, Franky says the exact opposite of this.

RomanceDawn

I agree with your overall thesis, but for the record, Franky says the exact opposite of this.

For the true record most of the scanlation sites jacked that line up. Franky says "Don't you smell a little gun powered and gas?" Or "isn't there a faint smell of gun powder and gas?" The translators read a word that leads them think the subject wasn't there and assumed there must be no gun powder or gas as in " I don't smell gun powder or gas." Rookie mistake. (I say this as if I can read the Japanese, once again Aohige for the win).

Gun powder and gas was used. Gas probably originating from Caesar and the gun powder from Kaido's weapons factory that Caribou swallowed up.

Demise

Deathnote was my thang back in the day, though I think rereading it now will make me more away of it's flaws

Nah still one of the best manga out-there. Thing is, you have to stop to read after volume 7, past it it's a real mess. But from volume 1 to 7, it's still one of most expertly crafted experience I have ever read. From the art to the plot, everything is almost perfect. Only grip I have is how they made L a loli-idol with out of touch mannerism, they should have stick with his first chapter's concept (serious, zen, and passionate) since he was already an original depiction of the standard detective (young, messy hair, bare-footed, secret...).

Probably for the same reason Kaidou's men are on Zou.

And like I said maybe Marco will play a role in Zou arc due to his Zoan fruit (possibly extending to Wano).

I thought Kaidos men were on Zou and they were looking for a "samurai" if I recall. I first thought Zoro but then was like may be Kin mon. So I was like maybe Kaido is trying to take over Wano & looking for Momo & stuff but he was jumping off clouds at the same time so it doesn't look like he's trying to take over Waino.

Yes I really believe or want to believe that the remnants of Whitebeards crew are on Zou right now.

Big One

Banned
I thought Kaidos men were on Zou and they were looking for a "samurai" if I recall. I first thought Zoro but then was like may be Kin mon. So I was like maybe Kaido is trying to take over Wano & looking for Momo & stuff but he was jumping off clouds at the same time so it doesn't look like he's trying to take over Waino.

Yes I really believe or want to believe that the remnants of Whitebeards crew are on Zou right now.
They still have to get on Zou somehow though. Also the Curly Brow pirates got to Zou without a vivre card iirc.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
For the true record most of the scanlation sites jacked that line up. Franky says "Don't you smell a little gun powered and gas?" Or "isn't there a faint smell of gun powder and gas?" The translators read a word that leads them think the subject wasn't there and assumed there must be no gun powder or gas as in " I don't smell gun powder or gas." Rookie mistake. (I say this as if I can read the Japanese, once again Aohige for the win).

Gun powder and gas was used. Gas probably originating from Caesar and the gun powder from Kaido's weapons factory that Caribou swallowed up.

Aha, good to know, thanks! It was definitely a little weird to just note the absence of those things out of nowhere.

smurfx

get some go again

if they are on zou then maybe they captured law's crew because they didn't know their intentions. although i doubt it though since they would have likely taken out kaido's crew. don't think those grunts are strong enough to take on marco.

Kornflayx

Oh, I just saw that the country is actually called Mokomo Dukedom and that it's a pun on "mokomoko" meaning "fluffy". So it's literally called "Fluffy Kingdom", lol

That Vivre card should only lead to Lola's mom though. So it couldn't be used to find Nami.

While he has more than enough time to get there, Weevil doesn't have any motivation to go to Zou, no knowledge that Luffy is going there and no means of finding it even if he did (let alone get there BEFORE Luffy). Plus the minimal facts we have are contrary to what we know of Weevil. All of Weevil's destruction started from minor squabbles, so the full frontal offensive we are seeing on Zou wouldn't match. Plus, Franky has already noted that it smells like gas and gunpowder, which suggests that the enemy is modern or mechanical in nature, which doesn't match Weevil either.

The only thing connecting Weevil to Zou is generic destruction. Which would apply to almost every enemy character in One Piece.
Ah, right. Forgot that it was only one-way.

I agree with some of your points, and if not initially, I think Weevil will become relevant later on in the arc.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm hoping Zou feels extremely isolated from yet tangentially important to the outside world in a really cool way.

See: Skypiea

And it's about that time for a Skypiea parallel arc

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Can't think of a better location for a Poneglyph.

Definitely gonna be one in Zou. It's the perfect place to hide one and it looks like whatever civilization is there is the sort that would have been given one to guard.

Maybe they find one on Zou and it's only half of a story and they're bumming, then Jimbei turns up with the one Wadatsumi is carrying and it has the rest.

That would be interesting, I feel like Jinbei found an important one.

It was strange that the Tontattas didn't have anything to say about the void century since they kept their history from before and after it. We don't really know what Robin did in the timeskip so for all we know Dragon had a personal collection of 100 poneglyphs that he wanted translated.

RomanceDawn

They still have to get on Zou somehow though. Also the Curly Brow pirates got to Zou without a vivre card iirc.

Law gave Nami a Vivre card to get to Zou. Before fighting Doflamingo, he said something to the affect of, if anything happens to me take this Vivre card to Zou and find my crew.

Oh, I just saw that the country is actually called Mokomo Dukedom and that it's a pun on "mokomoko" meaning "fluffy". So it's literally called "Fluffy Kingdom", lol

Hey great! I was wondering when someone would point out what that meant!

SolVanderlyn

I'm actually really interested in the history of Zou itself. How did an island come to exist on top of an ancient elephant? What are the elephant's origins? This is more pressing than the void century, even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom