• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalvaPot

He hasn't been in the Bleach thread in a really long time, it's pretty safe these days.

Except you have to talk about Bleach.

Heyooooo!

Just kidding guys, Bleach is a fun series, I actually liked the fullbring arc.

But back to One Piece, I was surprised by how Carrot could give Zoro a hard moment, Minks seems to be pretty strong, I wonder why we haven´t seen them as often as Fishmen.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
He ran crying a few months ago when he was the only one in the thread who liked Kubo's shotty writing. I think that thread is now only people who dislike Bleach.

I still like it. :[

BUT I also recognize that it's fuckin stupid more often than not these days. For things I've followed this long tho, I kind of develop a kind of "member of the family" mentality towards them. Whether they're great or crap, I still love them, and generally give them the benefit of the doubt. "Oh Bleach, you so silly." Once I'm invested there's very little that can happen in something to actually make me hate it, even if I recognize that what's going on has become super dumb.

...that last hobbit movie was an exception.

Bleach:

Just watch Yu Yu Hakusho instead

12eFoZRoh8TaMg.gif

Nocebo

This panel was great. I wonder if there will be Ryuunosuke merchandise. I can see him being popular as a cuddly toy or something for kids.

Also I'm not sure if the name Ryuunosuke was explained in this thread or in translator notes or whatever but I'm pretty sure the "nosuke" is a common last part to a name. And ryuu meaning dragon of course.

Hmm after some searching around: "nosuke" appears to mean "son of"? Also, it seems there was a famous short story author named ryuunosuke. I wonder if there is any connection there.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
NuRobin is my favorite character

Kornflayx

This panel was great. I wonder if there will be Ryuunosuke merchandise. I can see him being popular as a cuddly toy or something for kids.

Also I'm not sure if the name Ryuunosuke was explained in this thread or in translator notes or whatever but I'm pretty sure the "nosuke" is a common last part to a name. And ryuu meaning dragon of course.

Hmm after some searching around: "nosuke" appears to mean "son of"? Also, it seems there was a famous short story author named ryuunosuke. I wonder if there is any connection there.

I think it's just a play on Momonosuke (Momo means peach, hence his pink color)

Jarate

Banned
Oda putting in Furries to finally try to appeal to western sensibilities

If this happened about 3-4 years ago, imagine the amount of outrage people wouldve had over the Furry stuff

Lunar15

I wonder if there's any connection between Kaidou having an army of zoans/smiles, the minks being human/animal hybrids, and the fact that Kaidou has men on the island.

There most likely is, but i'm getting curious about it.

Oda putting in Furries to finally try to appeal to western sensibilities

If this happened about 3-4 years ago, imagine the amount of outrage people wouldve had over the Furry stuff

I dont understand either of these statements. Are furries particularly popular in the west? (Thats weird if so)

And why would there be an outrage 3 years ago because of this?

Jarate

Banned
I dont understand either of these statements. Are furries particularly popular in the west? (Thats weird if so)

Furry art is pretty popular in the west as opposed to the east. Anthromorphic art in general is very popular in the west

There was also a time, id say from 2006 - 2012 where furries were probably the most hated internet subculture on the net. They are still somewhat hated, but no nearly as bad as it used to be.

Chariot

I do think that anthropomorphic animals are more a western thing, since in japanese manga/anime they usually go for the normal human with animal traits thing. Usually. I am aware Hunter x Hunter exists.

And I guess he means the rise of the new generation of My Little Pony that made furry more popular and accepted. I mean, people who hate against bronies would also hated against furries, so it didn't get negative.

Salbug

You'll more then likely find more western anthropomorphic furry artwork then eastern. As for the outrage part, the furry community is one of the more black sheeps (I guess you could say.) of the internet at least according to almost everyone else anyway.

I still like it. :[

BUT I also recognize that it's fuckin stupid more often than not these days. For things I've followed this long tho, I kind of develop a kind of "member of the family" mentality towards them. Whether they're great or crap, I still love them, and generally give them the benefit of the doubt. "Oh Bleach, you so silly." Once I'm invested there's very little that can happen in something to actually make me hate it, even if I recognize that what's going on has become super dumb.

...that last hobbit movie was an exception.

I feel a similar way towards Bleach, and the bolded in general. No matter how bad it gets I'll still like it to some degree lol.

Veelk

Banned
Ohh okay that makes sense, I always assumed something like that from your posts.

As much as people seem to dislike you, it always came across as very critical analysis more so than shitposting to me.

That's essentially my goal. Shitposting is dumb and I avoid doing it. So I make it a personal policy to try and avoid attacking any person (though god knows certain users tempt me) and try to by as thorough in the observations I make.

If people dislike me for that or other reasons...well, it sucks, but I've only ever expressed myself as honestly as I could. People aren't obligated to like me and being part of a community isn't the same thing as liking the people you share a community with. It would be nice if I could get along better with the other members, but it's not a necessity, and I think we've reached a point where people wouldn't want to start being cordial even if I made the effort.

Veelk, personally I don't really care if you like One Piece or not, I don;t really want to push that discussion any further, but I was wondering if you could point to some series that you do like? I just think getting a feel for some of the series you are interested in (be it manga, comics, tv, whatever) might give some more insight into the analyses you make in this thread, and might help some people see where you're coming from in that regard.

I can, but I don't think it's going to help that much. I like different things for different reasons that also change with time, so whether I like something is almost always a case by case basis. The metrics by which I determine whether something is good or not are more consistent, but they can also change if the story is doing something particular that means they don't apply for whatever reason. Theoretically, I might like a series that essentially does the same thing OP does without being able to put my finger on what it exactly does differently. Not to mention that a lot of what I read was years ago. I'm a big believer in reading a story more than once to understand it right, and my opinion has changed many times when I've gone back to a story.

But if you want a short list, sure, why not. Hunter X Hunter is probably the closest thing to One Piece, sharing a lot of it's characteristics in art style and adventurous main character, but writing up what makes it different would take up a lot of space by itself. But of everything I've read, it probably comes closest to what OP in terms of general similarities of premise and style. It should be noted that when I first read it, I hated it for a lot of the reasons I initially hated OP (mainly being nonsensical in it's rules), but a reread of it made it change dramatically in my eyes. Somewhat similarly, the reread I am doing of OP is making it shine slightly better in my eyes, though I still have a more negative atttitude towards it than not.

In terms of other manga (or anime directly based off manga), Berserk as Sibersk Esto mentioned. I also really liked Yu Yu Hakusho, though the dubbed anime version best of all. FMA is perhaps not the best manga I've ever read, but it is my very favorite of all, edging out even berserk, and I like her Silver Spoon manga as well. Speaking of cooking, Shokugeki no Soma is really fun. Attack on Titan is an expertly crafted story that I grew increasingly more impressed with as it went on. Deathnote was my thang back in the day, though I think rereading it now will make me more away of it's flaws, as Bakuman was a disappointing followup, though I really liked that too up to a certain point. Hellsing was gratuitous fun. I loved Rurouni Kenshin back in the day, Mx0, Psyren died too soon, The World God Only Knows for a while though I lost interest, One Punch Man was pretty hilarious and awesome in it's art, the Devil May Cry Manga was a fantastic addition to the game and a shame it was never completed, and I used to read a lot of romance/harem back in the day (I remember Ichigo 100% most). I used to like both Naruto and Bleach but they became too god awful for me to stay with, and I'm especially bitter about Naruto because I still maintain it had the potential to be one of the best manga ever. I never read the manga, but I really enjoyed Dragonball, the whole run. Inuyasha was also one of the gateway anime I watched, though I doubt it holds up at all at this point.

That's just manga, and that's one of the least numerous of the lists. If we were to list every comic, game, book, show, anime, and movie I've ever enjoyed, we'd be here for so, so long. I wish I could say there is a comprehensive standard that can accurately predict what I will and will not like, but I haven't been able to find one. The closest I've managed is that those stories made me believe in them in some way and even then some I would be hard pressed to say I 'believe in' so much as I find an interesting experiment in some way. So yeah, I'm not sure what you can do with that list of manga that I like (or liked in the past), because if you can find a common thread there, you'll be the first.

I will say that probably the easiest target of criticism that I actually like is the web show RWBY. You could have a field day lashing it for every narrative fumble it makes, and I don't even believe in it per se, but...idk, something about it makes me want to root for it.

Also, throwing back to that post a couple of weeks ago about Luffy, I finally got around to reading (most) of it, and I think that's a respectable opinion to have. Just to offer a quick response, I definitely do think Gon's sense of morality (I think it's called Blue and Orange morality?) would be an interesting thing to have been seen as part of Luffy's character, but I think that I like Luffy for a lot of the reasons that you don't. One Piece, for me anyway, is primarily a fun story, with very interesting world building, plot elements, and some god damned entertaining fights. I appreciate Luffy's character because I feel like he's the embodiment of the sense of adventure, in a way, and he's just an overall fun character to follow in a fun series. Now, that's not to say I don't thinkt hat Oda could have tweaked the characters themselves to be more interesting/dramatic/whatever else you would like to see in them, but I definitely think that Luffy, and most of the other characters in the series, have traits and personalities that fit into the world and story he's trying to create quite well.

I guess I really just like Luffy because I feel like he's the embodiment of the emotions and sense of adventure that Oda is trying to portray through his work? I hope that makes sense haha.

Again, that's perfectly fair. I am never going to insult anyone for liking something or another for any reason. No one should ever have to justify their personal preferences, just their arguments for it. And I can agree with yours on Luffy. I can definitely agree that Luffy as the personified vehicle that carries the series to adventure and fun is a good summation of his role in the manga. So, I don't have a counter for the argument itself, only that I would prefer an emphasis on Luffy as a character rather than a vehicle. It just means we're looking for different things, and that's perfectly fine.

I do think that anthropomorphic animals are more a western thing, since in japanese manga/anime they usually go for the normal human with animal traits thing. Usually. I am aware Hunter x Hunter exists.

And I guess he means the rise of the new generation of My Little Pony that made furry more popular and accepted. I mean, people who hate against bronies would also hated against furries, so it didn't get negative.

I think there was an unfortunate hijacking of the term. Furries is supposed to only mean people that like stories with anthropomorphic animals. I don't think anyone would look at you funny for saying you like Lion King, for example. But a small faction of the furry community that is into wierd stuff (wanting to have sex with anthropo-animals and dressing up as them and stuff) was made famous, so now when people say furries, they think people refer to the weird stuff.

And while I've seen plenty of wierd shit from american fanbases, I've never seen an actual furry sex scene until I saw Wolf Children, so I would still say Japan has the highest concentration of weird (tastefully done as it was in the movie).

Ohh really? Wonder what finally did him in.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't troll because, as you seem to agree, I don't shit post and try to make everything I write be a contribution to the thread in some way. But there are clearly people who don't agree, so I'm probably going to be banned eventually by a like minded mod that doesn't consider the analysis I make worthy enough for all the people I piss off. So I'll probably suffer the same fate some day, eventually.

Going by what you guys said of his behavior i think its pretty clear.

Well he's posted for years without his really obnoxious arguing style getting him perma'd or even banned all that frequently afaik.

(The one time I saw him get banned in mangagaf was when he got in a huge ass obnoxious fight with Big One that got both of em canned for a week.)

Usually long running members getting perma'd does require them to really push the mods too far somehow, right?

As far as I'm concerned, I don't troll because, as you seem to agree, I don't shit post and try to make everything I write be a contribution to the thread in some way. But there are clearly people who don't agree, so I'm probably going to be banned eventually by a like minded mod that doesn't consider the analysis I make worthy enough for all the people I piss off. So I'll probably suffer the same fate some day, eventually.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone suggest your behavior is ban-worthy & more so that people really really want to put you on ignore.

Could be wrong though.

He activated his Banned-Kai.

: )

Oh my god I hate you that's the worst.

Mizerman

Eh. From the previous posts I've read, you don't really come off as confrontational and hostile. Blunt, but that's not really a bad thing as you don't shit post those who you're addressing.

Veelk

Banned
Well, in the end, it's only ever the mod's opinion that matters. I'll probably pick a fight with the wrong guy at some point or another, and either legitimately or not, I might go too far. I try not to think of it as an inevitability, but all that really needs to happen is that I pick the wrong thing to say at the wrong time with a mod that's in no mood for any shit.

And I just want to make it clear that I'm under no illusion that I'm infallible or anything. I have my blindspots and bias' and not all of my judgements I make are optimal. I could very well deserve a ban at some point in the future and I can be as much of a braying jackass as anyone. Of course, everyone has their own opinion at which point that threshold is passed, but the day I start thinking I can't pass that threshold is probably going to be the day I actually become what some already accuse me of being.

Had to compare islands, but I'm 100% sure that Drake is, or was, at Wano in 793...seems to be a winter island?

Sheepshead also seems to be there, so is Drake here at Zou since Sheepmandude was in 795?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I wonder if there's any connection between Kaidou having an army of zoans/smiles, the minks being human/animal hybrids, and the fact that Kaidou has men on the island.

There most likely is, but i'm getting curious about it.
Kaido captures and kills/takes the essence of the Minks or some guardian tree on Zou

This essence/tree sap/dead Mink bodies are sent to Punk Hazard where Caesar uses it as the key ingredient of SAD.

SAD is sent to Dressrosa where it is planted to make SMILE fruits by the dwarves

The SMILE fruits are sent back to Kaido who uses them to make an army of Zoans based on the Minks killed/captured.

In exchange, Kaido sends weapons made by the enslaved Wano country to Doflamingo.

Doflamingo sells the weapons across the world and makes chaos.

YYH's art has much more personality to it than most of Bleach.

On-topic, I noticed that Law's right arm is covered in bandages. I'm surprised his arm still isn't fully healed.

Nightbird

YYH's art has much more personality to it than most of Bleach.

On-topic, I noticed that Law's right arm is covered in bandages. I'm surprised his arm still isn't fully healed.

Wouldn't it have been enough to have Leo stich it back and have Mansherry heal it afterwards?

Or did I miss something?

SalvaPot

Wouldn't it have been enough to have Leo stich it back and have Mansherry heal it afterwards?

Or did I miss something?

Well everyone was injured after the fight and they did not have enough time to heal, since they had to run away from the marines, while Mansherry was providing his power for the whole town to survive. I wonder if Law cannot fix himself with Room, and also Chopper was not there.

Either way injuries seem to last for a while in One Piece, remember how often Zoro used to have a bandage of some kind? Hell, he was constantly nerfed by them.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The Heal Heal fruit is more about giving you temporary immunity from injuries than it is about Dragonball-ing them away. Once the effect wears off you pretty much go down with the injury again, just in a slightly less catastrophic manner.

Nightbird

Well everyone was injured after the fight and they did not have enough time to heal, since they had to run away from the marines, while Mansherry was providing his power for the whole town to survive. I wonder if Law cannot fix himself with Room, and also Chopper was not there.

Either way injuries seem to last for a while in One Piece, remember how often Zoro used to have a bandage of some kind? Hell, he was constantly nerfed by them.

Leo and Mansherry did just that. But it's been close to two weeks since then.

I'm guessing the Heal Heal fruit can't fully heal a severed limb instantaneously.

The Heal Heal fruit is more about giving you temporary immunity from injuries than it is about Dragonball-ing them away. Once the effect wears off you pretty much go down with the injury again, just in a slightly less catastrophic manner.

Well okay, that explains it. Considering the injuries Law suffered I guess that temporary healing is a whole lot better than nothing.

But now i wonder if this is going to affect his battles :p

I like how Law is shown holding his great sword on his shoulder. A lot of times you would have a character carry it on their back even though that is totally impractical. Like Mihawk has a sword that is both impractical to use and he carries it on his back in a position where it would be anatomically impossible for him to draw it. The one two combo of unbelievable world building of a nonsensically heavy sword that is carried in a way that would need an assistant to take it off you.

IHaveIce

Banned
Kaido captures and kills/takes the essence of the Minks or some guardian tree on Zou

This essence/tree sap/dead Mink bodies are sent to Punk Hazard where Caesar uses it as the key ingredient of SAD.

SAD is sent to Dressrosa where it is planted to make SMILE fruits by the dwarves

The SMILE fruits are sent back to Kaido who uses them to make an army of Zoans based on the Minks killed/captured.

In exchange, Kaido sends weapons made by the enslaved Wano country to Doflamingo.

Doflamingo sells the weapons across the world and makes chaos.
WOAH

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I mean... Bleach's art is one of its high points, let's be fair. No need to throw Yu Yu under the bus to say so tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom