• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
4idzwOy.png

I died at that panel. Hilarious, and Robin's reactions...

RYUUNOSUKE!!!!!!!!

Can we take a moment to appreciate how fantastic the establishing shot of the Zou countryside looked? GODDAMN Oda

This really is the furry arc.

NSESN

An arc with fishmen
very difficult way to reach the next part of the ocean
An arc in a snowy place
An arc against a shichibukai taking over a kingdom
An arc in a very high place with ancient civilization
I'm seeing a pattern here Oda

Veelk

Banned
Haha, no reason, really. I wanted to include all of the top five posters. Top poster was the strongest dude in the picture, second top poster was second strongest dude, etc. Unfortunately, there are only four characters in the image, and Veelk absolutely had to be Kalifa for the joke ;b

cae13e0c08d19ba9aab9c3cb070ff70b.png

I am the 5th most frequent discussion member of a series I don't even like?!

I uh....I think I'm gonna have to go and rethink my priorities here...

I can relate - I like One Piece, but I read Bleach despite me hating it. Sometimes you just wanna see shit burn. And well, it's not surprise, Veelk made very clear that he does not like One Piece the way we do.

I've read some of Veelk's criticisms so far, and there's plenty I agree with to a smaller or larger degree. I just thought it was "Be critical of the works you love"-kinda criticism.

Didn't realise he didn't like OP at all.

I think he really likes it. He likes it so much he makes hundreds of post picking apart real and perceived inconsistancies.

... I literally do this to everything I consider myself a fan of.

Veelk

Banned
I think he really likes it. He likes it so much he makes hundreds of post picking apart real and perceived inconsistancies.

I grudgingly respect it is the most I can say about it, with liking very select parts of it. I love Oda's sword designs, particularly Zoro's. I would do anything to have a high production made Yubashiri, as that's one of the most beautiful looking sword designs I've ever seen. I like some of the outlandish ideas he has, like Zou itself now. I like SOME character designs.

I dislike OP for much more than I like it. Humor is highly hit or miss for me, mostly miss (though if I'm being honest, I did find everyone's reactions to Ryuunosuke somewhat amusing. You got me this time Oda). The designs, the way the powers work, the way characters act...it's to the point where there are few I flat out feel empathy for.

I view One Piece as a highly sophisticated machine, with it's consistent plot mechanics, foreshadowing, it's elaborate art and ambitious ideas. But looking at it as a machine only makes me appreciate the technical aspects of it. It never makes me care about the things that are happening. The whole cast of strawhats could be slaughtered next chapter and I wouldn't feel a twinge of sympathy. Good stories make me believe they're real, and OP just never accomplished that, for all the other good things it did.

As for me just analyzing the shit out of it, it's not special in that regard. I do it with everything, regardless of whether I like it or not. Give me the Teletubbies to watch, and I'll write dissertations on that.

Lunar15

Oh, huh. I always just assumed you really liked it, but nitpicked it constantly like I do.

Like, I can talk about all the aspects I don't like for hours and hours and hours, but god damn I love One Piece to death.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yo, when are we going to see what Sanji and co. did during all this time? Been waiting literal years now

I'd never waste my time following, arguing and writing huge walls of text about something i don't like. I don't know Veelk, maybe you do like OP a bit.

It's fine, lots of people do ;)

bjork

You know, watching this episode of Teletubbies, I don't know how the Noo-Noo didn't murder these fucks. He cleans up after them and they scold him and chase him and shit. He should've smothered them in their beds.

Veelk

Banned
Oh, huh. I always just assumed you really liked it, but nitpicked it constantly like I do.

Like, I can talk about all the aspects I don't like for hours and hours and hours, but god damn I love One Piece to death.

That's cool. I doubt anyone believes me at that point, but I've never begrudged anyone liking it. And I consider personal like/dislike to be the least important part of conversation on craft.

I like it a lot more than I used to atleast. I used to outright hate it. Now I liken the relationship more to how Homer feels about Flanders.

bjork

I always wondered why they watch the video twice. I'm assuming just to pad out the run time.

[edit - That Lion/Bear chase felt longer than Namek.]

[edit edit - I sat through that whole episode, I expect some kind of Veelk analysis by the time I get back tomorrow morning.]

Yeah, you could fill an entire book with my complaints about e.g. smash brothers. But that's cause it's something I have a lot of passion & interest for.

I'd never waste my time following, arguing and writing huge walls of text about something i don't like. I don't know Veelk, maybe you do like OP a bit.

It's fine, lots of people do ;)

I could probably write a decent amount about why I dislike say ... Bleach or something .. but only if someone either asked me or as a one-off thing.

Complaining on a forum so much about something I don't even like to the point of becoming one of the top 5 posters in the thread ... naw man.

The only time I ever remember being in the top of any thread was when I did my 100x manga sprites in the general manga thread & just posted a lot about ideas/suggestions.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah, you could fill an entire book with my complaints about e.g. smash brothers. But that's cause it's something I have a lot of passion & interest for.

I could probably write a decent amount about why I dislike say ... Bleach or something .. but only if someone either asked me or as a one-off thing.

Complaining on a forum so much about something I don't even like to the point of becoming one of the top 5 posters in the thread ... naw man.

The only time I ever remember being in the top of any thread was when I did my 100x manga sprites in the general manga thread & just posted a lot about ideas/suggestions.

You could probably say I have a high passion for stories themselves. How they work and so on. From that point, it doesn't matter whether the example is good or bad, I can talk about anything. Hell, just a few days ago I wrote up a analysis of Joel's mental framework from Last of Us in the gaming section. I had actually wanted to write more than I did on Joel, and then make another essay equally as long for Ellie. The only reason I did is because I had recently played LoU.

[edit edit - I sat through that whole episode, I expect some kind of Veelk analysis by the time I get back tomorrow morning.]

Uh....well, okay. I didn't mean that literally, but I can put my money where my mouth is.

Magwik

Banned

I tend to stay away from talking about Bleach. Mainly because anytime it's in discussion somebody always comes in throwing shit everywhere because people like One Piece or Naruto better than Bleach. Every. Single. Time.

bjork

I tend to stay away from talking about Bleach. Mainly because anytime it's in discussion somebody always comes in throwing shit everywhere because people like One Piece or Naruto better than Bleach. Every. Single. Time.

Part of me really wishes that Bleach had been anywhere near the level of either of these. Especially after enduring the entire series thus far.

Chariot

I don't shit on Bleach because I like One Piece more. I shit on it, because it's badly written. In terms of shounen it's not even close to the top.

You could probably say I have a high passion for stories themselves. How they work and so on. From that point, it doesn't matter whether the example is good or bad, I can talk about anything. Hell, just a few days ago I wrote up a analysis of Joel's mental framework from Last of Us in the gaming section. I had actually wanted to write more than I did on Joel, and then make another essay equally as long for Ellie. The only reason I did is because I had recently played LoU.

I mean that's fair, are you just interested in analysis for the sake of it? Or do you (want to) write yourself?

I stay away from Bleach because of Phoenician Viking, lol.

Wow I've been so busy lately that I haven't posted in this thread in a while...

anyway, I really enjoyed this chapter. That whole bit the the dragon drawing, and with robin got some chuckles from me lol, and zoro and law at the end too.

Interesting setup to the arc, I can only assume Kaidou's crew are the ones who have been destroying stuff, and Kanjuro and Kinemon are probably going to do something marginally important on their own before rejoining with the crew.

The Minks seem pretty cool, I wonder if they have some sort of natural ability, or if Carrot ate a devil fruit of some kind.

Also curious as to why that Mink is wearing Nami's clothes. I doubt that Nami was turned into a mink but I guess it's possible, but she probably just got captured or lost her clothes or something.

Veelk

Banned
I mean that's fair, are you just interested in analysis for the sake of it? Or do you (want to) write yourself

Both, though I have a bad tendency to only want to work with what I'm familiar. So, creating a world from the ground up is very difficult for me and instinctively want to work with established material, though I want to make my own fiction too. For example, even though it would never come to be, I plotted out a Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman TV series + movies + Justice League stuff just because I'm not happy with what DC is doing with the cinematic universe. Personally, I think that time and effort would ahve been better spent doing my own work, but I also really want to see very good and reallized versions of those characters, so I just had to get it out of my system.

I stay away from Bleach because of Phoenician Viking, lol.
I used to lurk the manga thread. Isn't he the guy that clinged to any excuse or reason to either praise bleach or throw OP under the bus?

The One Piece > DBZ thread from a few months back turned into a bloodbath

Both, though I have a bad tendency to only want to work with
what I'm familiar. So, creating a world from the ground up is very difficult for me and instinctively want to work with established material, though I want to make my own fiction too. For example, even though it would never come to be, I plotted out a Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman TV series + movies + Justice League stuff just because I'm not happy with what DC is doing with the cinematic universe. Personally, I think that time and effort would ahve been better spent doing my own work, but I also really want to see very good and reallized versions of those characters, so I just had to get it out of my system.

Ohh okay that makes sense, I always assumed something like that from your posts.

As much as people seem to dislike you, it always came across as very critical analysis more so than shitposting to me.

I used to lurk the manga thread. Isn't he the guy that clinged to any excuse or reason to either praise bleach or throw OP under the bus?

Yeeeppp, he also accused ANYONE who was critical of Bleach of basically being an OP fanboy/troll whatever.

I actually find harsh criticism of something like OP absolutely fine, but Beam/PV basically did that while simultaneously acting like Bleach was the holy grail of perfection ,which is just hilarious.

Both, though I have a bad tendency to only want to work with what I'm familiar. So, creating a world from the ground up is very difficult for me and instinctively want to work with established material, though I want to make my own fiction too. For example, even though it would never come to be, I plotted out a Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman TV series + movies + Justice League stuff just because I'm not happy with what DC is doing with the cinematic universe. Personally, I think that time and effort would ahve been better spent doing my own work, but I also really want to see very good and reallized versions of those characters, so I just had to get it out of my system.

Veelk, personally I don't really care if you like One Piece or not, I don;t really want to push that discussion any further, but I was wondering if you could point to some series that you do like? I just think getting a feel for some of the series you are interested in (be it manga, comics, tv, whatever) might give some more insight into the analyses you make in this thread, and might help some people see where you're coming from in that regard.

Also, throwing back to that post a couple of weeks ago about Luffy, I finally got around to reading (most) of it, and I think that's a respectable opinion to have. Just to offer a quick response, I definitely do think Gon's sense of morality (I think it's called Blue and Orange morality?) would be an interesting thing to have been seen as part of Luffy's character, but I think that I like Luffy for a lot of the reasons that you don't. One Piece, for me anyway, is primarily a fun story, with very interesting world building, plot elements, and some god damned entertaining fights. I appreciate Luffy's character because I feel like he's the embodiment of the sense of adventure, in a way, and he's just an overall fun character to follow in a fun series. Now, that's not to say I don't thinkt hat Oda could have tweaked the characters themselves to be more interesting/dramatic/whatever else you would like to see in them, but I definitely think that Luffy, and most of the other characters in the series, have traits and personalities that fit into the world and story he's trying to create quite well.

I guess I really just like Luffy because I feel like he's the embodiment of the emotions and sense of adventure that Oda is trying to portray through his work? I hope that makes sense haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom