• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does something "significant" need to happen for it to be "counted as" an arc?

no, it's an arc regardless, but that doesn't mean it contributes to the overarching plot in any way

this week break is going to kill me. I have to just read Bleach on thursday?? Ugh.

I don't even know if My Hero Academia or Tokyo Ghoul REs chapters for the week have come out yet. I might have already read them.

I need more manga to read :/

Hunter x Hunter come back to me :'(((((

no, it's an arc regardless, but that doesn't mean it contributes to the overarching plot in any way

Almost no arc does. Unless one or two pages of the weapons of mass destruction suddenly turns an arc into a massive contribution. The thing that die hard OP fans don't get is that there actually isn't much of an overarching plot, and that the overarching plot was never the important aspect of OP. The actual search for OP itself has always just been an incentive for the plot as a whole to move forward and have a goal, similar to how Mario always tries to rescue Peach.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Making way into the Skypiea arc in my OP rewatch...

"Eneru"... "Paramythia" ... Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Nothing is as bad as the HK subs from back in the day.

Wow, holy shit

Screen-Shot-2015-09-24-at-9.37.19-PM.png

Just wow.

imma god of pirate RoreryGlaiRorf sama.....!

EDIT: Eneru is not really that bad of a translation though. It's okay. Could be way worse. Ener > Enel.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Shichibukai sounds so badass, though. Yonkou does too. I think with titles like that it can go either way. The hatred for nakama is more understandable. Although, don't get me started on using Navy over Marines when all of the text says MARINE in giant capital letters.

Grexeno

I'm fairly sure the official translation has seen the word "darn" said more times than it has ever been uttered by real humans in all of history.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm fairly sure the official translation has seen the word "darn" said more times than it has ever been uttered by real humans in all of history.

It's really weird when Luffy screams it after Mihawk slashes Zoro.

If you're only reading scanlations, you're missing out on those few little nuances that big manga sites miss out on.

For example, did any of you guys know that Wanda has a really odd speech quirk that even stumps some natural Japanese speakers?

Fuck scanlations, thank God we have official translations like Zolo, amirate?

That excuse doesn't hold up anymore though.

Read Crows. It's the best.

i'll check it out

Almost no arc does. Unless one or two pages of the weapons of mass destruction suddenly turns an arc into a massive contribution. The thing that die hard OP fans don't get is that there actually isn't much of an overarching plot, and that the overarching plot was never the important aspect of OP. The actual search for OP itself has always just been an incentive for the plot as a whole to move forward and have a goal, similar to how Mario always tries to rescue Peach.

even the slightest thing can turn an arc into a significant contribution. It only has to be one or two pages.

also, regardless of whether there was an intention to have an overarching plot or not, there is one.

interesting read. I really want to buy all of one piece but I don't have the money :(

someday though

interesting read. I really want to buy all of one piece but I don't have the money :(

someday though

Buy the box-sets. They're a lot cheaper than buying them all individually! Unfortunately they only have up to volume 46 (2 box sets covering the beginning of the series to the beginning of thriller bark).

Russ T

Banned
I want to buy One Piece but Zolo drives me fucking nuts and I just can't. ): ): ):

Long been considering buying the Japanese versions in an effort to learn Japanese, but realistically I know that's uh not gonna happen.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yeah but it drives me fucking nuts and I just can't.

I'm preeeetty used to it after reading like 70 VIZ volumes.

I kinda wish they had kept the pirate-lingo they used in the early VIZ volumes throughout the whole series. :3

Also: nice avatar John Allison is the best.

Russ T

Banned
I'm preeeetty used to it after reading like 70 VIZ volumes.

I kinda wish they had kept the pirate-lingo they used in the early VIZ volumes throughout the whole series. :3

Also: nice avatar John Allison is the best.

Yeah I know it's entirely a personal hangup. Maybe one day I'll get over it...

Pirate lingo is boss, tho.

And yeah, John Allison IS the best!

Viz's inconsistencies with the terminology has always driven me up the wall, alongside "Teech".

Viz is weird, in general.

FEEL THE PAIN OF SABO AND ISSHO'S VICTORY

That particular line is "All your base are belong to us" tier.

That they had Maynard reply with "What the hell?" is so, so perfect.

Lunar15

Looks like other people took my responses.

I totally get why scanlations are "wrong", especially if you're not subscribed to jump... but it is kind of disingenuous to say that Viz is the "best" interpretation when they still say Zolo and have other weird spellings.

It's slight, but I mean, come on.

RomanceDawn

No? :(

And lmao your Viz tranlations in the US are mostly terrible

Nah man, unless you want Nakama plastered everywhere then no.

VIZ's translations are headed by Stephen Paul now. Yeah they have to go with a few really old 4 Kids terms but the story is there 100% and the translations are fantastic.

IHaveIce

Banned
Nah man, unless you want Nakama plastered everywhere then no.

VIZ's translations are headed by Stephen Paul now. Yeah they have to go with a few really old 4 Kids terms but the story is there 100% and the translations are fantastic.

German Carlsen translation is my go to translation and much preferable over the VIZ stuff.

Also Romance didn't you want to tell us your mindblowing theory about OP ?? plsss

RomanceDawn

Oh right...

Sanji is an alien or half alien.

Let it sink it in for a moment while I start gathering the clues that seem either really amazing or really stupid. You decide.

ffdgh

Oh right...

Sanji is an alien or half alien.

Let it sink it in for a moment while I start gathering the clues that seem either really amazing or really stupid. You decide.

I suppose it was only a matter of time after naruto did it...and sanji almost being named naruto lol.

RomanceDawn

Ok I'm trying to make something visual to follow. It's going to take a little while and I gotta take care of some things at home with my kids. Don't wait up but it's in the works.

SolVanderlyn

Ok I'm trying to make something visual to follow. It's going to take a little while and I gotta take care of some things at home with my kids. Don't wait up but it's in the works.
The real plot twist: RD's kids are half alien

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom