• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, has anyone done calculations anywhere online about how big the OP world actually is?

If you rummage through the toxic versus battle communities on the internet, there should be a few fan estimations* that put the One Piece world at around the size of Jupiter.

*keyword: fan estimations

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yep
latest

So... is that supposed to be the One Piece world in the middle there? Sure doesn't look like the red line to me. Lots of other huge landmasses too. Maybe some prehistoric version before whatever happened in the void?

Shanks lost his arm in Luffy's backstory.

that's not really tragic though. Shanks didn't die, Luffy wasn't hurt, and Shanks didn't really care that he lost an arm.

Luffy thought Sabo died at least!

I guess haha

If you rummage through the toxic versus battle communities on the internet, there should be a few fan estimations* that put the One Piece world at around the size of Jupiter.

*keyword: fan estimations

thanks, I might look more into that. That's pretty big.

Veelk

Banned
that's not really tragic though. Shanks didn't die, Luffy wasn't hurt, and Shanks didn't really care that he lost an arm.

According to one SBS answer, he wasn't even weakened in any way from having lost that arm. So it was essentially a sacrifice that cost nobody anything.

According to one SBS answer, he wasn't even weakened in any way from having lost that arm. So it was essentially a sacrifice that cost nobody anything.

im gonna go ahead and squarely say Luffy's backstory is not tragic

although, does Ace have a tragic backstory? I mean his mom died, I guess that's tragic.

Lol, you guys.

Apparently sad things are not sad.

So... is that supposed to be the One Piece world in the middle there? Sure doesn't look like the red line to me. Lots of other huge landmasses too. Maybe some prehistoric version before whatever happened in the void?

I think Oda's drawings of the world are just an afterthought. There are a lot of contradictions on his maps.

Veelk

Banned
Lol, you guys.

Apparently sad things are not sad.

Well, I didn't say it wasn't sad, as Luffy was pretty broken up about it.

It's just a meaningless sadness. It's like stubbing a toe or that you can't play longer than a day will allow. Yeah, too bad, but it really makes no difference in the end. It's frivolous.

Well, I didn't say it wasn't sad, as Luffy was pretty broken up about it.

It's just a meaningless sadness. It's like stubbing a toe or that you can't play longer than a day will allow. Yeah, too bad, but it really makes no difference in the end. It's frivolous.

If you don't realize the impact that Shanks losing an arm had on Luffy, for better or worse, then you really need to do a re-read. It made one hell of a difference.

But I do see the angle of it not being tragic due to neither party caring about it in a negative regard.

Veelk

Banned
If you don't realize the impact that Shanks losing an arm had on Luffy, for better or worse, then you really need to do a re-read. It made one hell of a difference.

But I see the angle of it not being tragic due to neither party caring about it in a negative regard.

Okay. Humor me then. What is the major impact that Shanks losing his arm?

Okay. Humor me then. What is the major impact that Shanks losing his arm?

Shanks showed Luffy that losing an arm was trivial compared to the risk of losing a friend. It formed Luffy's personality severely, as his attitude changed after that event. It triggered his want to follow Shanks ideal and to surpass him as a pirate (which was also formed by the whole thing with the bandits).

Veelk

Banned
Shanks showed Luffy that losing an arm was trivial compared to the risk of losing a friend. It formed Luffy's personality severely, as his attitude changed after that event. It triggered his want to follow Shanks ideal and to surpass him as a pirate (which was also formed by the whole thing with the bandits).

Yeah, I don't see that. Luffy was already willing to risk death and bodily injury by the fact that he went after the bandit himself. He did this despite being severely disappointed in Shanks at the time. He even kept egging him on when he was helplessly held by his goons. Luffy never cared about self preservation when friends were on the line, even then.

The way I see it, what impact shanks had on him was the emphasis that ideals are more important than injuries. That wasn't the arm though, that was just his idolization. At most, the arm thing solidified that hero-worship into an even greater intensity. Which is what made Bellamy not worth fighting in his eyes, but Luffy was always going to fight people over his friends.

Oxn

Is Luffy even aware of how great a pirate Shanks was at that time? As far as he knows, he could've just thought he was wanted for 5million, or 500million.

It could be so easy to surpass him, if he thought he was just a bit above the level of a mountain bandit.

If anything, based on this, I would say that Shanks losing an arm was anything but tragic, rather something inspirational.

Is Luffy even aware of how great a pirate Shanks was at that time? As far as he knows, he could've just thought he was wanted for 5million, or 500million.

It could be so easy to surpass him, if he thought he was just a bit above the level of a mountain bandit.

I don't think he did, but actually, does he even know how big of a pirate shanks is now? Does Luffy even know who the Yonkou are before being told about the ones he knows about?

I mean, I guess Rayleigh could have told him a lot, but before the timeskip Luffy knew next to nothing about the big pirate powers (Yonkou/Warlords), as far as I know.

Oxn

If anything, based on this, I would say that Shanks losing an arm was anything but tragic, rather something inspirational.

I don't think he did, but actually, does he even know how big of a pirate shanks is now? Does Luffy even know who the Yonkou are before being told about the ones he knows about?

I mean, I guess Rayleigh could have told him a lot, but before the timeskip Luffy knew next to nothing about the big pirate powers (Yonkou/Warlords), as far as I know.

Well in the Anime, not sure about Manga, Garp told Luffy who the 4 Yonkous are right after Enies Lobby.

jbug617

Banned

I know that ANN could be wrong but they have this.

The special with a completely original story will take place on a "Devil Fruit blocking" fog island in the New World that keeps Devil Fruit users from being able to use their powers. The Straw Hat crew find themselves in a desperate crisis on the island. The crew will also again meet and have a rematch with the Foxy Pirates from the Davy Back Fight arc. Foxy now has three new subordinates: Dōjack, Kanshō, and Kōmei, the latter of whom is a genius tactician.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Checking Arlong Park, there's a link to Fuji TV's site that mentions the special so it's real.
http://www.fujitv.co.jp/fujitv/news/pub_2015/i/151109-i201.html

And if it's about a "Devil Fruit blocking fog" island, then this is going likely be really stupid, and raise a lot of questions.
Will Chopper be forced into his reindeer form while he's on it? No Brain Point (or Merch Point as I call it)?
Would Brook even be able to walk on it?
Why even use Foxy? He's a weakling without his power, and Luffy is already crazy strong without needing his powers.

Veelk

Banned
I hated that arc. I skipped it on my first read through, on the recommendation of a friend. I decided to actually see it through this time, but damn, it still sucked. It might be the only arc I would say is out and out bad.

I hated that arc. I skipped it on my first read through, on the recommendation of a friend. I decided to actually see it through this time, but damn, it still sucked. It might be the only arc I would say is out and out bad.

i would hardly call it an arc. it's like canon filler.

the only significant thing that happens is they run into Aokiji

Luigi87

... I liked the Davy Back Fight D=
It was enjoyable randomness that made for a nice breather between some pretty major arcs.

Veelk

Banned
It also had some Sanji/Zoro teamwork.

But that's it.

I don't understand why it's in this series.

Because Oda is psychic and saw the posts I'd make about his work from the future, so he decided to include everything I hate about OP in one arc as vengeance.

Well played, my hated enemy...

i didn't dislike it, but I found it wholly unnecessary.

the strawhats could have met Aokiji in a much more interesting way. Hell, he could have literally walked onto their ship.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Davy Back was awesome in the manga. I loved its weirdness. It certainly does feel out of place in the larger story but damn if it didn't have some awesome moments.

A shame what the anime did to it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
i've seen a few theories about how afro luffy is an indication that his gear 5 will be an electricity based power
Ok, now this is ridiculous.

Where are these theories so I can read them

Majukun

why do people see foreshadowing in everything? also, i'm not even sure it's how foreshadowing is supposed to work.

nothing is wrong with a bit of speculations...especially in a series like onepiece.. but lately theories seem to have gone overboard,continuously looking at every page as foreshadowing of something instead to actually read the series and make a bit on reasoning on the rules and info we are given...

i'm not referring at anyone in particular here on GAF, but on the Internet in general.. hell youtube is choke full of videos of theories with no rhyme or reason.. it's genuinely difficult to find good ones in the mess.

Nightbird

why do people see foreshadowing in everything? also, i'm not even sure it's how foreshadowing is supposed to work.

nothing is wrong with a bit of speculations...especially in a series like onepiece.. but lately theories seem to have gone overboard,continuously looking at every page as foreshadowing of something instead to actually read the series and make a bit on reasoning on the rules and info we are given...

i'm not referring at anyone in particular here on GAF, but on the Internet in general.. hell youtube is choke full of videos of theories with no rhyme or reason.. it's genuinely difficult to find good ones in the mess.

Because GOda.

Seriously, people think that everything is a foreshadowing because of the few things that did end up being a foreshadowing.

And since nowadays every wants to be first one to discover something, even the most ridiculous theories get posted, "just in case it does end up happening".

It's dumb, but it was inevitable, just like how many are trying to compare the strength of Saitama in One-Punch Man to Gokus, even though the whole Series is just a Parody.

"Lately".

Lol.

Veelk

Banned
Foreshadowing is, at the end of the day, just a form of pattern recognition. Speculation is trying to guess at what patterns will be relevant in the future. One Piece has established that it is very methodical in it's storytelling, placing many pieces and characters way before they're highest point of interest comes.

Wonder at what will be significant is an important and healthy part of any serialized work. You never really want to leave an audience truly full. You want them to still think of your work once you've put down reading it, and it creates a desire to see certain narratives fulfilled. If people are speculating on what pieces of your story mean, it means they have personal investment. Not because they necessarily want to see their particular version of the story fulfilled, but because they are exploring. Searching for treasure.

It's a very good thing to have. And if someone becomes a little overzealous and puts out something highly improbable, that's just the nature of things. People will always go to extremes. I don't think it's particularly important, and the good theories tend to gain more fame as they go along, making them easier to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom