• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syntsui

Not sure if it matters or whatever but someone posted on my wall a cover of a one piece chapter(124) that displays sanji with a briefcase going to "tsuru". A foreshadowing by oda or just a random coincidence? I'm going for the latter one but you can never be sure with oda
Sanji is Tsuru son confirmed.

Chariot

Not sure if it matters or whatever but someone posted on my wall a cover of a one piece chapter(124) that displays sanji with a briefcase going to "tsuru". A foreshadowing by oda or just a random coincidence? I'm going for the latter one but you can never be sure with oda
Tsuru means crane and the chapter cover was full of cranes. This can easily mean nothing given how much Oda loves random animals on covers.

I doubt it, but nothing about Oda's foreshadowing will surprise me anymore. I'm keping it as a distant possibility.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Apophenia /æpɵˈfiːniə/ is the human tendency to perceive meaningful patterns within random data.
Oda is actually very good at foreshadowing, nice try though

smurfx

get some go again
if the celestials really did come from another moon or planet then maybe uranus is the space ship they used to get to this planet. perhaps it is stationed at mariejoa and will be used if the important people there were under attack by a major force. of course the ship would be extremely powerful. maybe this is the secret doflamingo knows about mariejoa. although maybe it is there but they lost the knowledge on how to operate it. maybe vegapunk is getting inspirations for his inventions from the tech on that ship.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
if the celestials really did come from another moon or planet then maybe uranus is the space ship they used to get to this planet. perhaps it is stationed at mariejoa and will be used if the important people there were under attack by a major force. of course the ship would be extremely powerful. maybe this is the secret doflamingo knows about mariejoa.

I doubt it's aliens.

There was probably a war between the kingdom at Mariejoa and one at Raftel. The Devil Fruits could very well have originated in Raftel, given it's place in the world it wouldn't be the most shocking thing, and were spread around the world as the war raged and users died.

smurfx

get some go again
I doubt it's aliens.

There was probably a war between the kingdom at Mariejoa and one at Raftel. The Devil Fruits could very well have originated in Raftel, given it's place in the world it wouldn't be the most shocking thing, and were spread around the world as the war raged and users died.
we know there are people who live beyond the one piece world. i doubt oda is hinting at this and will never go anywhere with it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
we know there are people who live beyond the one piece world. i doubt oda is hinting at this and will never go anywhere with it.

You mean the cover stories? I still doubt it's going to be aliens, there's probably another explanation for what was going on with Enel there.

Joyboy is probably a reference to Joyoboyo. He was like the Javanese King Arthur. The perfect just king who will return to rule in the darkest hour of the nation.

i'll have to look into this

Couldn't Enel just die in space/never be seen again? For some reason i really despise that aliens were introduced in OP's world.

i actually agree with this. i feel like by introducing aliens to the plot, the story will become too hectic, and end up a lot like how naruto ended up.

also, it would diminish a lot of the world building oda has already done imo. everything we need to finish the story is on the OP world.

If Aliens used to exist in OP and we only saw flashbacks of them, I might be ok with that, but I don't want aliens to exist as a present entity in OP.

smurfx

get some go again
i'll have to look into this

i actually agree with this. i feel like by introducing aliens to the plot, the story will become too hectic, and end up a lot like how naruto ended up.

also, it would diminish a lot of the world building oda has already done imo. everything we need to finish the story is on the OP world.

If Aliens used to exist in OP and we only saw flashbacks of them, I might be ok with that, but I don't want aliens to exist as a present entity in OP.
what's wrong with the theory that celestials came from another planet or moon and then conquered the world similar to how europeans came to america and conquered it by force? the celestials even have their own manifest destiny. them losing the ability to power the ancient ship they came to the planet with would make sense. if they had a ship that could destroy cities then this might be the reason the d kingdom developed pluton and poseidon.

what's wrong with the theory that celestials came from another planet or moon and then conquered the world similar to how europeans came to america and conquered it by force? the celestials even have their own manifest destiny. them losing the ability to power the ancient ship they came to the planet with would make sense. if they had a ship that could destroy cities then this might be the reason the d kingdom developed pluton and poseidon.

i don't really think this is a plausible theory

The void century revolves around a war between the Great Kingdom, and 20 other kingdoms. Having 20 other kingdoms implies that these are also people who lived on the planet, and resented the great kingdom for the power they held. When the 20 kingdoms defeated the Great Kingdom, they formed the council of kings and the World Government and the celestial dragons are descendants of those original kings.

so it doesn't really make sense to me that the Celestials would be aliens. I do think that Aliens could be part of the secret of the void century, especially with the introduction of the Automata and Enel's cover story, and Sky Island citizens seems to be some kind of alien, but I don't think the celestials are.

Like I said, I think that having aliens in flashbacks would be fine, but I don't really want the strawhats to go into space at all.

smurfx

get some go again
i don't really think this is a plausible theory

The void century revolves around a war between the Great Kingdom, and 20 other kingdoms. Having 20 other kingdoms implies that these are also people who lived on the planet, and resented the great kingdom for the power they held. When the 20 kingdoms defeated the Great Kingdom, they formed the council of kings and the World Government and the celestial dragons are descendants of those original kings.

so it doesn't really make sense to me that the Celestials would be aliens. I do think that Aliens could be part of the secret of the void century, especially with the introduction of the Automata and Enel's cover story, and Sky Island citizens seems to be some kind of alien, but I don't think the celestials are.

Like I said, I think that having aliens in flashbacks would be fine, but I don't really want the strawhats to go into space at all.
the great kingdom could have welcomed the alien visitors and let them live among them. those in power might have resented having to answer to them and eventually when they had enough power they started a war with the great kingdom to take over the world.

RomanceDawn

I doubt it, but nothing about Oda's foreshadowing will surprise me anymore. I'm keping it as a distant possibility.

I've just gotten wind of something that will blow your mind. It's so out there that you can't help but write it off as something completely insane. Until you actually look into it all then you really start to wonder. I'm going to be that guy and hold off until I see one more piece of evidence in the story or SBS.

The WG isn't the alien moon people, they were against them. They crew may not go to space but we've already been delicately introduced to One Piece space travel and aliens for some time now. At some point it will all be front and center. The D's are certainly connected/allied with these people as well. Just look at the cover of Volume 27, anyone who wants to ignore it as just Oda having fun is completely ignoring everything we know about the void century, Roger, poneglyphs, etc.

Hey Veelk, you must love that Eneru was able to travel to the moon in a big helicopter right? You must really love that it's possible to travel to and from the moon with ordinary balloons right?

I've just gotten wind of something that will blow your mind. It's so out there that you can't help but write it off as something completely insane. Until you actually look into it all then you really start to wonder. I'm going to be that guy and hold off until I see one more piece of evidence in the story or SBS.

The WG isn't the alien moon people, they were against them. They crew may not go to space but we've already been delicately introduced to One Piece space travel and aliens for some time now. At some point it will all be front and center. The D's are certainly connected/allied with these people as well. Just look at the cover of Volume 27, anyone who wants to ignore it as just Oda having fun is completely ignoring everything we know about the void century, Roger, poneglyphs, etc.

Hey Veelk, you must love that Eneru was able to travel to the moon in a big helicopter right? You must really love that it's possible to travel to and from the moon with ordinary balloons right?

I don't think the Great Kingdom or the 20 Kingdoms involved any Aliens.

Now, the Skypieans (and other Winged peoples) are likely aliens, based on what we've seen of Enel on the moon.

The volume 27 cover can mean one of two things to me though. The first is that Oda just drew Luffy with wings because it relates to the current arc, and the second is that people with D in their name are descendants of sky people who bred with humans, and that the sky people helped the 20 kingdoms defeat the Great Kingdom.

anyway, i'm prepared to eat crow if I'm wrong about this stuff.

I don't know if this is common knowledge though, but what do you do to get this news RomanceDawn? Please tell us ;-;

Veelk

Banned
I try not to make my criticisms of the logic itself nitpicky unless it's actually relevant to the plot. I would say there's a difference between complaining about the world governments horrible decisions with the cover up vs, say, how the people just are way more durable than anything resembling reality. One is a potential plot hole in one of the most important aspect of the story, the other is just a part of the fiction. There's something worth critiquing in how that prevents the reader from caring about how painful the injuries are because they'll recover from them fine, but picking at the logic aspect for its own sake seems pointless. Especially in one piece, which does something like that every other panel.

As far as Enel flying out into space, I don't like it and think it's dumb, but it's not something I'd go after in a write up.

Oh I know a ton about this theory, the D. being a half-moon pictogram theory really blew my mind. Since the Shandorians, Birkans, and Skypeins have some connection to the moon from Enel's coverstory with the automata, you can bet your arse there's something there.

One of the biggest indicators for me was the SBS of Blackbeard as a kid crying beneath the moon. Oda has been using moon imagery throughout the series for some purpose...

Oh I know a ton about this theory, the D. being a half-moon pictogram theory really blew my mind. Since the Shandorians, Birkans, and Skypeins have some connection to the moon from Enel's coverstory with the automata, you can bet your arse there's something there.

One of the biggest indicators for me was the SBS of Blackbeard as a kid crying beneath the moon. Oda has been using moon imagery throughout the series for some purpose...

shit this is heavy

Big One

Banned
I think this is basically what happened in the Void Century:

1. Sky people came from the Moon (Current), Human races came from the other five moons.
2. Everyone settled on the Blue Planet for many years.
3. Ancient Kingdom is born from the descendants of the sky people, it's a pirate's kingdom and Joy Boy is the king.
4. World leads gets pissed about the Ancient Kingdom for their free ways, a pure anarchy that is spreading across the world.
5. Ancient Kingdom's free nature attracts non-human species that have been suppressed over the years such as Giants, Dwarves, Minks, and Fishmen.
6. War occurs between 20 Kingdoms vs. the Ancient Kingdom. 20 Kingdoms win.
7. The five human groups from the five moons form the Gorosei, who then establishes the World Government.

RomanceDawn

I don't know if this is common knowledge though, but what do you do to get this news RomanceDawn? Please tell us ;-;

I have or had a friend in a high place. But some things I wouldn't dare say.

Actually I don't mean the pictogram theory at all. I'm talking about something that is even more over the top. So much so that if I talked about it, it would be embarrassing because people would run me out of here with pitch forks.

I think this is basically what happened in the Void Century:

1. Sky people came from the Moon (Current), Human races came from the other five moons.
2. Everyone settled on the Blue Planet for many years.
3. Ancient Kingdom is born from the descendants of the sky people, it's a pirate's kingdom and Joy Boy is the king.
4. World leads gets pissed about the Ancient Kingdom for their free ways, a pure anarchy that is spreading across the world.
5. Ancient Kingdom's free nature attracts non-human species that have been suppressed over the years such as Giants, Dwarves, Minks, and Fishmen.
6. War occurs between 20 Kingdoms vs. the Ancient Kingdom. 20 Kingdoms win.
7. The five human groups from the five moons form the Gorosei, who then establishes the World Government.

this is plausible. very plausible. did they say there was more than one moon though?

Actually I don't mean the pictogram theory at all. I'm talking about something that is even more over the top. So much so that if I talked about it, it would be embarrassing because people would run me out of here with pitch forks.

oh i see

but please tell us, i really wanna knoooow

smurfx

get some go again

do it! can't be worse than my crappy theories. :p

IHaveIce

Banned

Your theory can't be worse than veelk's essays.

I think that the "celestial dragons" are full of it. They are not from space and they are not Dragons. They were the kings who were running the world before the void century.

However there probably is something in Mariejois that is so weird that it might as well be from space as from another dimension or the future or something. What I imagine is that somebody came to the world of One Piece to help and improve the lives of the people there. They built Mariejois as a base of operation and established a council of 20 kings to create peace and get things done. But the kings stabbed them in the back.

NSESN

I don't think the 20 kingdoms were the bad guys in the void century, probably there was a big motive why they fought the great kingdom and why they try to wipe out any traces of the void century.

SalvaPot

this is plausible. very plausible. did they say there was more than one moon though?

Yep
latest

IHaveIce

Banned
Romancedawn you better come back in here fast, I'm super interested in what you have to say.

Just read the above linked theory which I like alot.

I completely forgot the skeleton on Punk Hazard which was bigger than a giant.

But now I also remember that they teased that the dragon on there was named by an Celestial Dragon but we never found out what it name was.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I absolutely love how a simple manga about pirates and dreams evolved into a globe trotting epic fantasy spanning generations of history without changing its basic pirate/shonen theme.

I absolutely love how a simple manga about pirates and dreams evolved into a globe trotting epic fantasy spanning generations of history without changing its basic pirate/shonen theme.
Of course, Oda's detailed foreshadowing had no part to play in this. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
speaking of larger than giants, I wonder if Sanjuan Wolf is somehow involved with any of these giant experiments?
He's bigger than any sentient race we've seen (maybe on par with the Sea Kings), so either it's a fruit or it's some kind of experiment. I can't imagine an island with a civilization of people like Wolf. There's no way the world is big enough!

SolVanderlyn

Re-reading that theory linked earlier now, and I love this.

Roger has this amazing gift and this is his response. Hahaha

The half-moon pictogram theory is probably my favorite part. And coming off of that, I've always thought that Blackbeard's childhood depiction hints that his character might go a bit deeper than selfish, ambitious asshole.

Maybe there's a reason why he looks so sad and dejected. Perhaps there isn't, but I hope that he has a tragic backstory.

Re-reading that theory linked earlier now, and I love this.

Roger has this amazing gift and this is his response. Hahaha

The half-moon pictogram theory is probably my favorite part. And coming off of that, I've always thought that Blackbeard's childhood depiction hints that his character might go a bit deeper than selfish, ambitious asshole.

Maybe there's a reason why he looks so sad and dejected. Perhaps there isn't, but I hope that he has a tragic backstory.

You don't have to hope Sol, everyone in One Piece has a tragic backstory!

also that panel with Roger is hilarious. Luffy really is just like him haha.

Of course, Oda's detailed foreshadowing had no part to play in this. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

He's bigger than any sentient race we've seen (maybe on par with the Sea Kings), so either it's a fruit or it's some kind of experiment. I can't imagine an island with a civilization of people like Wolf. There's no way the world is big enough!

I mean the wiki calls him an abnormally large giant, but I feel like there has to be more to it since Oars is bigger than a giant, and Wolf is like 10 times the size of Oars. I wouldn't be surprised if he had some kind of association with a bigger picture.

Also, has anyone done calculations anywhere online about how big the OP world actually is?

SolVanderlyn

You mean there are characters in One Piece without a tragic backstory?
Usopp, kind of? His dad left him and his mom died but that's pretty tame by One Piece standards. Franky had him one upped when he was three years old or so.

the only people I can think of (of which we've had glimpses of their backstory) that aren't tragic to some degree are Luffy and Whitebeard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom