• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've realized that in the past two arcs Oda took inspiration for city/architectural design from real world locations

Most of them are, some more and some less. Inspiration has to come from somewhere. Oda said himself a long while ago in SBS that Dressrosa is indeed inspired by Spain, and Water 7, for instance, is based on Venice, Italy :) But even when it's not obvious like that, inspiration still has to come from somewhere.

RomanceDawn

Slight update with the timeline.

PART 5: Sabaody Reunion to Zou

DAY 1 (Ch 598 - 652)
The crew reunites. Sail to Fishman Island. Civil war erupts. New Fishman Pirates are defeated.
Poseidon discovered. Big Mom’s crew comes to collect candy. Smoker captures the freed slaves.
(ch 598 last page : Luffy has arrived on Sabaody)
(ch 599 p.09 : Robin explains that Luffy will be the last one to arrive)
(ch 603 p.16-17 : The crew sets sail for Fishman Island)
*No mention of the passage of time but Nami and Robin still have the same clothes from their reintroductions*
(ch 610 p.06 : Madam Sharley lets Camie have the day off of work)
(ch 649 p.03 : Neptune announces that Hodi’s soldiers will now work in Neptune’s military)
(ch 651 p.06 : Tamago says the Tea Party is in 4 days)
(ch 652 p.03 : Neptune explains on this very day they gained more soldiers from the Fishman District)
(ch 653 p.03-04 : Nami and Robin still have the same clothes they wore when they first appeared at Sabaody)
(ch 652 p.13 : [MEANWHILE in the new world] Smoker captures the freed pirate slaves from Fishman Island)

DAY 2 (Ch 653 - 699)
Depart Fishman Island. Meet Laboon’s family. Arrive in the New World. Land on Punk Hazard. Straw Heart alliance formed. Doflamingo family members defeated. Depart Punk Hazard.
*We do not know how much time passes between Smoker capturing the slave pirates and the Straw Hat’s leaving Fishman Island. With Tomago’s explicit 4 day count down it’s safe to assume this is only 1 day later*
(ch 653 p.01 : Camie is working again at the Mermaid Cafe. Madam Sharley lets her leave to see the Straw Hats off)
(ch 653 p.04 : Sanji and Zoro fight. Sanji warns Zoro the next time they sit down to eat he will tamper with his food. Zoro responds that he WANTS to see if he can digest razor blades and poison)
(ch 653 p.08 : Nami and Robin have changed clothes)
(ch 654 p.11 : They meet Laboon’s family)
(ch 654 p.17-18 : The crew reaches the surface of the new world. Nami has changed her Criminal Bra out after her bath, Robin is in the same clothes)
(ch 655 p.11 : As promised Sanji puts razor blades in Zoro’s next meal, Robin laughs)
(ch 655 p.12-13 : Half the crew lands on Punk Hazard)
(ch 695 p.09 : Robin still in the same clothes she departed with from Fishman Island)
*Robin has the same clothing from the depart of Fishman Island to the end of Punk Hazard. She steals a coat from Brown Beards crew mate, she removes that once inside Caesar’s lab, then during the party she gets a brand new teddy bear coat off panel. Most likely from Kinemon*
(ch 697 p.08 : Law tells Doflamingo to quit the War Lords and wants the news paper to reflect that by the next morning)
(ch 699 p.10 : [THAT NIGHT on the open sea] (The crew discusses what’s to come and half of them go to bed)

DAY 3 (Ch 699 - 795)
Doflamingo “quits” the War Lords. Arrive on Dressrosa. Jinbe continues his journey. Swirly Hat’s confront Big Mom’s crew. The entire Doflamingo family is defeated. Fujitora allows the Marines and Government to take the blame for Doflamingo’s actions.
(ch 699 p.13-14 : Brook yells it’s morning, the morning addition of the news paper shows Doflamingo has left the War Lords)
(ch 700 p.19 : The crew arrives at Dressrosa)
(ch 751 Cover : Jinbe continues his journey to his friends)
(ch 760 Cover : Jinbe receives the morning paper seeing the Staw Heart alliance)
(ch 782 Cover : Jinbe parties into he night)
(ch 794 : After Dressrosa is saved the warriors rest for the night)

DAY 4 (Ch 795)
Wadatsumi joins Jinbe’s party. The Swirly Hat’s arrive and adventure on Zou. Kaido attempts suicide from the sky and lands on Kidd’s island.
(ch 785 Cover : The next day jinbe allows Wadatsumi to join him and packs up the Poneglyph to go)
(ch 795 p.04 : [The following day NEW WORLD] (The Swirly Hats have arrived on an island)

DAY 5
*Unless otherwise noted) Big Mom’s Tea Party takes place and will most likely be shown in a flash back*

DAY 6
DAY 7 (Ch 796 - 802)
Tsuru and Sengoku arrive at Dressrosa. Fujitora attempts to capture the Straw Hat’s and Law. The Straw Hats gain a fleet of 7 divisions. Jack fails at rescuing Doflamingo. New bounties are issued.
ch 796 p.01 : ([3 days pass since the battle] Tsuru and Sengoku arrive on Dressrosa wondering why the Straw Hats are not captured yet)

DAY 8
DAY 9
DAY 10
DAY 11
DAY 12
Day 13

Day 14 (Ch 802 - ???)
Luffy’s group arrives on Zou.
(ch 802 p.10 [One week later on Mister Luffy Go])
(ch 803 p.04 Luffy’s group begins to climb Zou)

The crew is 14 days into their adventure since the reunion.

Veelk

Banned
I like to think that more time has passed than that. I know it isn't supported as much by the text, but having the Strawhats unseat the warlord almost immediately as soon as they get back, right after Luffy almost died from Hody's bite doesn't really sit well with me. It's more believable for me personally if a greater amount of time passed.

Welfare

I like to think that more time has passed than that. I know it isn't supported as much by the text, but having the Strawhats unseat the warlord almost immediately as soon as they get back, right after Luffy almost died from Hody's bite doesn't really sit well with me. It's more believable for me personally if a greater amount of time passed.

I think them dethroning Dofla almost immediately after coming back makes them much more "badass" in not just the reader's eyes, but also the citizens of the One Piece world. Two years of inactivity and boom, the Straw Hats and the Heart pirates teamed up and Doflamingo is no longer a Warlord. The Straw Hat's reputation during the 2 year timeskip had people jumping to become pirates and this would have people going crazy.

Also, Luffy did need to beat Dofla (or any other warlord that isn't Mihawk or Boa) near the beginning of the New World because now he has to fight against characters that are around Admiral/Emperor level.

IHaveIce

Banned
So people said we saw Wano already in Oda's oneshot Monsters with Ryuuma, though do we really know if he wasn't travelling around and this is really Wabo because if he does it would be really cool if the dragon söaying is still a myth there.

So then let us imagine Kaido overtook Wano and has a Dragon Zoan... and Zoro would beat him...
Full circle.

Veelk

Banned
I took a short break from my reread of OP partially because I had real life stuff to do, but also because I remembered not being all that thrilled with Thriller Bark when I read it. I thought reading the colored version would elevate it, as it has all the other arcs, but...

Man, I hated this one. I still hated the Davy Beck arc more, but this one was pretty bad, and much longer for it. First off, the art style. At first, I was digging it, but prolonged exposure to it made me real tired of it. I like Nightmare Before Christmas well enough, but for some reason, this just didn't click. And I think a big piece of that is just because I hate Moria's design with all my soul, and the only well designed character I really liked was Hildon and Perona of the whole bunch. Everything else just looks hyper cartoony and while that's not exactly out of line with OP's general character design, something about it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Another big part of it was the ridiculously slow build up, filled with truly waste of time storylines that didn't really go anywhere. Choppers beef with Hogback brings in the question of what it means to truly live, but I don't think that concept got thoroughly explored enough given that it really never happened to any sort of character of consequence. The only one who got demeaned was Cindry and she was flat as all hell. And I'll just leave it to your imaginations for how I felt about the Nami storyline that took up more space than anything else. I never liked Sanji in the first place, but this made me dislike him a LOT more.

Once the fights got started, it picked up a little, but then it ran into the problems that I inevitably have with OP fights where they make little sense. I love OP's ambitions about having giant fights and some of the shots it has, but I hate the actual full on execution of it more often than not. I was really relieved when the arc actually ended and I could proceed then to the last run of OP before hte timeskip, which were by far my favorite sequence of arcs other than Impel Down.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I initially hated TB too, but my re-read made me appreciate a few aspects of it.

Pros:

+The first ten chapters or so are straight up humor, and some of the best in the series.
+Franky's first adventure with the Straw Hats, and his only one before the New World.
+Oz is a fantastic concept lore-wise and has the honor of the first group battle in the series, requiring all of the Straw Hats to take down.
+Nightmare Luffy is cool as hell
+Moriah has a cool backstory with Kaido
+Amazing epilogue with Kuma. One of Zoro's (and even Sanji's) best moments.
+Ryuma in general. Ryuma vs. Zoro.
+I'm already negative!!
+BROOK

Cons:

-Absalom, Lola, Hogback, Cindry, Perona, Bearsy, and most of the supporting cast aren't very interesting, and ugly to boot. The only exception is the Sanji Penguindog, and the Captain John cameo if you count that - although that's easy to miss.
-Slow pacing, too much time spent on weirdly unimportant things
-Moriah's scissor shadow ability is dumb. His fruit in general is pretty dumb. I get that it fits his lazy character but it's just not very interesting to watch him fight. Even in Marineford he was dull.
-Robin's powers start becoming really weird here
-Thriller Bark itself is a pretty boring setting, aside from its concept
-Anime only complaint, but Moriah's voice doesn't fit him at all. What were they thinking? He should have a deep, rumbling, imposing voice.

It's still my least favorite arc, unless you count Amazon Lily, but I like it a lot more than I used to. The hyper cartoony complaint is totally valid. Even compared to the rest of the series it feels stylistically off somehow.

Veelk

Banned
I initially hated TB too, but my re-read made me appreciate a few aspects of it.

Pros:

+The first ten chapters or so are straight up humor, and some of the best in the series.
+Franky's first adventure with the Straw Hats, and his only one before the New World.
+Oz is a fantastic concept lore-wise and has the honor of the first group battle in the series, requiring all of the Straw Hats to take down.
+Nightmare Luffy is cool as hell
+Moriah has a cool backstory with Kaido
+Amazing epilogue with Kuma. One of Zoro's (and even Sanji's) best moments.
+Ryuma in general. Ryuma vs. Zoro.
+I'm already negative!!
+BROOK

Cons:

-Absalom, Lola, Hogback, Cindry, Perona, Bearsy, and most of the supporting cast aren't very interesting, and ugly to boot. The only exception is the Sanji Penguindog and the Captain John cameo.
-Slow pacing, too much time spent on weirdly unimportant things
-Moriah's scissor shadow ability is dumb. His fruit in general is pretty dumb. I get that it fits his lazy character but it's just not very interesting to watch him fight. Even in Marineford he was dull.
-Robin's powers start becoming really weird here
-Thriller Bark itself is a pretty boring setting, aside from its concept

It's still my least favorite arc, but I like it a lot more than I used to.

The bolded pro's are the only ones I really agree are pro's, and Oz being conceptually awesome didn't make the execution that great. Everything else I either disliked for one reason or another, or just felt neutral about.

The bolded con is the only one I disagree with. Robin's wing arms are one of the more visually interesting uses of DF power, even it makes as little sense as...well, anything in OP. It makes me wish Robin had a penis so Oda wouldn't be afraid of getting her into actual fights so she could use it beyond a supporting role. Basically, she has a family friendlier version of the powers of the Thing (the John Carpenter movie, not the fantastic 4 one. Obviously).

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Spoiler over at AP.

Looks to be a direct continuation of the Mammoth attacking at the end of the last chapter, in flashback of course

Syntsui

Spoiler over at AP.

Looks to be a direct continuation of the Mammoth attacking at the end of the last chapter, in flashback of course
Good. The constant change of focus was getting tiresome. Oda needs to address the loose ends and then proceed with the main plot.

Entropia

No One Remembers
The thing about Thriller Bark, is that it was meant to be a bit more... goofy and light-hearted after coming out of the seriousness of Enies Lobby

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The thing about Thriller Bark, is that it was meant to be a bit more... goofy and light-hearted after coming out of the seriousness of Enies Lobby

Pretty much this, also that it was originally meant to take place between Skypiea and Water 7. That would explain why Franky's role in Thriller Bark felt small compared to Sabaody.

Ya'all know this but I always thought Thriller Bark was amazing. First the spooky atmosphere when Usopp, Nami and Chopper walk around, and then the hilarity when the rest of the crew does. It was very well-executed. Then the fight with Od and Kuma which were both awesome in their own ways, and then of course Brook's amazing flashback.

I might even consider it to be a top-5 arc. Top 7 at least.

Awww man people don't like thriller bark?? It's my favorite arc so far.

Comedy was gold

Every strawhat had focus and had great moments

The team attacks will never be topped(600 mil beri jackpot!!)

Etc

Lunar15

TB is a bit of a letdown when you come right off of Enies Lobby, but you appreciate it so much more on subsequent read throughs. Also, if you've only seen in the anime, your dislike of it is probably almost completely due to the fact that recaps were up to 10 minutes during that arc.

Bleh, Thriller Bark. Moria was an annoying antagonist. The best things about that arc are the docking scene, Usopp's negativity, and Zoro/Sanji vs. Kuma. That's it.

smurfx

get some go again
So people said we saw Wano already in Oda's oneshot Monsters with Ryuuma, though do we really know if he wasn't travelling around and this is really Wabo because if he does it would be really cool if the dragon söaying is still a myth there.

So then let us imagine Kaido overtook Wano and has a Dragon Zoan... and Zoro would beat him...
Full circle.
would be cool if zoro dealt the final blow after luffy and law do whatever they are going to do to weaken him. at the very least he will cut some part of kaido that will allow luffy to take him down. it's obvious he has some protection that doesn't allow real damage so it can definitely happen. you know i do wonder when zoro and luffy will take down an enemy. it can definitely be kaido+ his second in command together vs zoro and luffy.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
His Naruto openings were better, but still really impressive.

Edit: Nvm, I take it back. These are just as good. Huge nostalgia bomb with all of these. I especially like when he covers songs that originally had female vocals. (AKA Opening 2 AKA best opening)

I've never heard or seen any of One Piece dubbed, it wasn't bad, per se, but very strange to hear...
I say give another go man. I know you're used to subs so hearing it differently will have an effect but give it a try. They get better and better. Zoro,nami,sanji,usopp,chopper,robin and brook are Excellent!! Luffy you have to get used too and franky sounds accurate to the character he's supposed to be which some sub fans don't like

Syntsui

Thriller Bark is kind of boring indeed, but the lowest point of the series so far has been Skypea. I literally skipped some episodes because I just couldn't take it anymore. At the time I was not reading the manga.

As much as people complained about doflamingo v.s. luffy dragging, I can't imagine what it must've been like to read enel v.s. luffy on a weekly basis.

So the conclusion is that I'm the only person in OPGAF that loves Thriller Bark?

It didn't drag at all imo. Maybe in the anime, but the manga was fast-paced as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom