• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The real GOAT of OP though:

tumblr_inline_njznrwXXli1qknpjs.png

Veelk

Banned
As I'm sure everyone knows by now, there aren't a lot of moments in OP I actually like, in the grand scheme of things. However, the sequence with the Eleven Supernova's is definitely one I genuinely enjoy.

I have a major issue with the verisimilitude of the series, from everything how everything looks to how the world works to how the narrative is structured to make Luffy be the superhero that saves everyone every time he stumbles on an island one way or another. So the introduction of 9 other 'protagonists' that went on their own journeys is really intriguing to me. A lot of OP is just designed around having Luffy or just the strawhats be the only one that seems to achieve anything worthwhile. So introducing characters who are all on the same journey and playing field as Luffy is an awesome feature to add to the story. I wish they went further with it. There's no reason we shouldn't have heard about them doing similarly crazy things. "Oh, you took down Crocodile? Well Law brought down Jinbe!" or "Ennies Lobby was bad, but Kidd directly assaulted Marine Headquarters". Oda says they've rocked the world as much as Luffy, but we're not really shown that as much. They might have if the story was adjusted so that Luffy isn't for some reason the only one whose taking down major players like the Shibibukai. Up until now, every character felt like they were designed around how they would interact with the strawhat crew, rather than having their own adventure. They were either enemies or allies to help combat the enemies, either now or later on. With the Supernovas, you don't have inevitable enemies or allies or anything at all. Just people who happened to cross paths in their life journey's. That sort of thing is much more intriguing to me than almost anything else OP has presented so far.

There. Now no one can say I've never said anything nice about OP anymore.

RomanceDawn

So the conclusion is that I'm the only person in OPGAF that loves Thriller Bark?

It didn't drag at all imo. Maybe in the anime, but the manga was fast-paced as usual.

I loved Thriller Bark. As a matter of fact there is no arc I hate. There are chapters here and there I'm not too fond of but the story as a whole has yet to really let me down.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I get the feeling we might not get the chapter until tomorrow.

This might be the new norm for a while.

KtSlime

I say give another go man. I know you're used to subs so hearing it differently will have an effect but give it a try. They get better and better. Zoro,nami,sanji,usopp,chopper,robin and brook are Excellent!! Luffy you have to get used too and franky sounds accurate to the character he's supposed to be which some sub fans don't like

I hated Thriller Bark

I love it actually

When I watch One Piece it is usually in broadcast. I don't have access to the Viz(?) translations in my region. I usually just have time to read One Piece these days. I was just surprised.

BatDan

Damn, jump scans is going back to Fridays again, huh. It's been a while.

a jump sub is looking more and more enticing.

I still await the day they fix Zoro back to normal.
Sadly, that won't be until a major re-release.

Though I'm pretty sure 99% of One Piece fans rightly call him Zoro.

BatDan

They kept the Thriller Bark laughs.
Moriah's Kishishishi
Perona's Horohorohorohoro
Pretty sure they kept Hogback's Fosfosfosfos

And of course they kept Brook's Yohohoho.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Hiding the secret about the samurais is stupid because they're just going to find about it eventually. They sorta have three of them hanging out with the Strawhats at the moment. But I guess that's the inevitable conflict for the arc. :/

Chapter's out on a early Friday morning? Odd.

Who wants to bet Drake is one of Kaido's "Three Calamities"?

But more importantly, Sicilian has the best design ever.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

I doubt Drake is anything more than one of the head lackeys of a Calamity.

The other two Calamities will surely be "The Queen" and "The King" based on how everything else has been card oriented.

I like the way Jack has been introduced. The first thing we really learn about him is that he is a psycho and has been defeated by Fujitora and Sengoku. Then we learn bit by bit that he is quite a beast in his own right. Luffy is probably going to fight against somebody who has only recently been defeated. That is a pretty new one.

Chariot

I really like that Jack is shown to have limits on strength, like losing to the admirals or not being able to take the country without the poison gas due the strength of the mink people. Makes his threat a lot realer.

Kornflayx

I don't know if Drake is one of the 3 Calamities. The people he was with talked to him like they were on his level. Everyone in this chapter was pretty deferential to Jack. But him being only the underling of one of the top 3 officers doesn't feel right.

Majukun

I don't know if Drake is one of the 3 Calamities. The people he was with talked to him like they were on his level. Everyone in this chapter was pretty deferential to Jack. But him being only the underling of one of the top 3 officers doesn't feel right.

it's 99% one of the calamities,he fits too well in the mold.

also,supernovas should be a big deal in this part of the story..make x-drake just an underling would make him look bad

Syntsui

Yeah, I guess they already had that in stock. It's interesting to know that they were holding their own against Jack and the rest of the crew before they used the gas.

These minks ain't nothing to fuck with.

Majukun

Yeah, I guess they already had that in stock. It's interesting to know that they were holding their own against Jack and the rest of the crew before they used the gas.

These minks ain't nothing to fuck with.

well it's also an entire country ,children and elderly included, vs a crew of pirates,,he numbers were in their favor (that's basically what the old monkey said)

BatDan

Luffy's lack of filter continues to get him in trouble. Good thing Brook and Usopp shut him up.
So yeah, confirmation Jack is a Mammoth Zoan. I'm guessing his power is natural while Sheepshead, Gin Rummy, and the others are products of SMILE.
Inu-Arashi is a big dawg. Makes sense since he's the king.
And it looks like we're getting a Three Musketeers thing this arc, he's even dressed like one.

Caesar is screwed.

Interested in the lore behind the Calamities. Someone on reddit said it had something to do with Buddhism?

I wouldn't be surprised if the hierarchy in Kaido's crew was based on the quality of Zoan his underlings have, meaning people like X Drake and Jack would be on top.

Good chapter, but I'm kind of getting annoyed at the pacing of this arc with all the interruptions between flashbacks and finding out what happened. Anyone feel the same?

Interested in the lore behind the Calamities. Someone on reddit said it had something to do with Buddhism?

I wouldn't be surprised if the hierarchy in Kaido's crew was based on the quality of Zoan his underlings have, meaning people like X Drake and Jack would be on top.

Good chapter, but I'm kind of getting annoyed at the pacing of this arc with all the interruptions between flashbacks and finding out what happened. Anyone feel the same?
Hmmm idk i feel like besides the sanji stuff(for obvious reasons) this arc is one of the better paced arcs. We've been here for what? 5 chapters, we've met almost all the important minks,learned how nami and co escaped big mom's ship,saw the conflict that arose on zou. Moving pretty fast to me.

Ps. Anybody else like completely impressed with the minks? These guys are beast's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom